Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus (58683 Views)

IDF Kills 3 Israeli Hostages After Mistaking Them For "Threat" / Droupadi Murmu: So The President Of India Is A BLACK Woman! Wonderful. / Taliban Kill A Woman After She Told Them She Was Too Poor To Cook For Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by ogbiwa: 6:52am On May 07, 2022
A man has appeared in court after shooting at a couple, wounding one of them, and claiming that he thought he was “shooting at a hippo”.

Paul Hendrik van Zyl, a white South African farmer from northern Limpopo province, faces attempted murder charges.

Ramokone Linah was fishing with her partner in a river adjoining van Zyl’s farm in Lephalale town, when they suddenly came under fire.

Ms Linah, 38, sustained gun shot wounds on her arm, while her partner “managed to hide” before informing police and emergency services, a police report said.

When police arrived at the scene, van Zyl claimed that he thought the couple were “hippos and monkeys”.

“The arrested suspect alleged that he was shooting at the animals ” police spokesperson, Mamphaswa Seabi, said in a statement.

During van Zyl’s arrest, police seized two rifles, one revolver, one pistol, and two airguns.

Ms Linah was a part of a group of local men and women at the river near Mamojela Park when the incident occurred, according to a local media report.

Following his court appearance, van Zyl was freed on 1,,000 rand (about £51) bail and the case was adjourned until May 18 to allow further investigation to take place

Even today, almost 30 years after the end of Apartheid, deep racial divisions persist in South Africa. A group of supporters from the anti racist Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) staged a protest outside the court about van Zyl been freed on bail.

In nearby Letsitele a farmer shot and wounded a farm worker with a pellet gun in 2017, after allegedly mistaking him for a monkey.

Gun ownership is commonplace in South Africa, and accidental killings are a regular occurrence.

Deliberate shootings are common too. According to South African police statistics, more than 7,000 murders with guns were reported in the period from 2019 to 2020.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/black-woman-shot-white-south-26882484

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by FERNANDEZISBACK: 6:54am On May 07, 2022
Huh?
Not racism.. smiley?
I hope sa has a good justice system...let him spend some lil years in jail..

19 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by galaxy2020(m): 6:57am On May 07, 2022
Another Oscar pistorous

172 Likes 8 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Speaklove: 7:17am On May 07, 2022
It's amazing how a human would be liken to an animal .

Only God knows the truth of the matter .
The police will eventually come up with their own findings .
Let's hope this is not a racist attack on the blacks .

I can't figure out why the color of one man's skin should be another mans problem .

If you are in a kind of life threatening trouble and a man whose color differs from your's shows up to help you I don't think you will ever decline simply because they ain't the same with you in some color thing .

It's time for every body to speak up against this menace or else
You wouldn't tell who's gonna be the next victim and what's going to happen to them .

Not judging the man at all .
Only God can tell what's the truth

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by VictorUSA(m): 7:25am On May 07, 2022
Good for her.Who ask her to resemble an animal?

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 7:30am On May 07, 2022
Arrrrrrrh
This the height of racism. You mean he saw a walking Hippopotamus? People are crazy ! embarassed :-

Like this head.
VictorUSA:
Fish Brain. You will just open mouth waaa without any sense of reasoning.

290 Likes 20 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by oz4real83(m): 7:37am On May 07, 2022
VictorUSA:
I just approved your request for common sense, start using it now undecided

255 Likes 18 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by illicit(m): 7:45am On May 07, 2022
Was she that fat and ugly

shocked

10 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Starzo: 7:58am On May 07, 2022
This one sweet me
black SANs just dey vex me, especially their men.

14 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Nonexisting: 8:57am On May 07, 2022
illicit:

shocked
grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Geniuelander: 9:01am On May 07, 2022
angry angry angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by tonididdy(m): 10:37am On May 07, 2022
oz4real83:
I just approved your request for common sense, start using it now undecided

you dey mind that ukraine bio-lab product

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Svlla: 2:07pm On May 07, 2022
Gawd, this is so funny grin grin grin

Racism?

Or a mistaken identity grin maybe the black woman is from a tribe of shape-shifters and must have transformed into a hippo

Imagine! A whole hippo grin

Definitely Racism

14 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 07, 2022
Svlla:
Gawd, this is so funny grin grin grin

Racism?

Or a mistaken identity grin maybe the black woman is from a tribe of shape-shifters and must have transformed into a hippo

Imagine! A whole hippo grin

Definitely Racism
ii
illicit:

shocked
Speaklove:
It's amazing how a human would be liken to an animal .

Only God knows the truth of the matter .
The police will eventually come up with their own findings .
Let's hope this is not a racist attack on the blacks .

I can't figure out why the color of one man's skin should be another mans problem .

If you are in a kind of life threatening trouble and a man whose color differs from your's shows up to help you I don't think you will ever decline simply because they ain't the same with you in some color thing .

It's time for every body to speak up against this menace or else
You wouldn't tell who's gonna be the next victim and what's going to happen to them .

Not judging the man at all .
Only God can tell what's the truth
It's definitely racism,hippotamuses do not sit on boat and fish.

18 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by FoolaniHellman: 1:09pm On May 08, 2022
Shoot him too!

4 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:09pm On May 08, 2022
What in the world

Even today, almost 30 years after the end of Apartheid, deep racial divisions persist in South Africa.

Sleekfingers:

Racism is everywhere in the world. We blacks see) call the Caucasians as pigs. They call us monkeys..... The arabs see blacks as subhuman ......

During my stay in England. My friends and I were coming from a nightclub, strolling to our house . Some white guys were walking behind us, they start calling us , all sorta names. Monkeys, saying go back to africa . We beat the living daylight outta them....I mean serious beating, before the police arrived.....we were four in number, they were seven in number....
Hehehehe grin cheesy wink
No be small beatings be dat o.
Thank God say dem no carry gun sha.

So wetin d police come do after everything?
We too like gist sef cheesy

Sleekfingers:

they asked what happened, which one my friend explained. But those guys denied calling us names. The police told us leave , and told them guys to follow the opposite direction. ....and police was driving behind them. The third day , I saw one of the guys at the park. But didn't recognize me.....
Oh, that is a good ending to it.
Racism is a very terrible Vice in the world.
We pray if goes away completely.... we wish!

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by superCleanworks(m): 1:09pm On May 08, 2022
hippo? was she that fat and ugly? or was the man just blinded by racism?

1 Like

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:09pm On May 08, 2022
Oluwatosinolabi:
Good
What exactly is good in this sad news Oluwatosin?

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Sucre6: 1:09pm On May 08, 2022
Huh? :oWtf shocked
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by DropsMic(m): 1:10pm On May 08, 2022
Old news
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by oluwaseyi0: 1:10pm On May 08, 2022
Wtf
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Terrence99: 1:11pm On May 08, 2022
Reminds me of when they referred to Madam Patience as Shepopotamus, only for her to wear a black gown and look like a whale.

5 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Qadaffi2idiamin: 1:11pm On May 08, 2022
Buhari sef grin
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by suffering: 1:11pm On May 08, 2022
Pictures will give this fake story credibility.
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by JoyousFurnitire(m): 1:11pm On May 08, 2022

“hippos and monkeys”
^^^ This is funny whalahi grin
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Naija4love(m): 1:12pm On May 08, 2022
grin very funny crime
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Kharol1234: 1:12pm On May 08, 2022
Pure wickedness
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by funmi37: 1:12pm On May 08, 2022
Why Is high on something

Meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6SYj75xek
Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:12pm On May 08, 2022
Racist

2 Likes

Re: White SA Man Shoots Black Woman After "Mistaking" Her For A Hippopotamus by Aboguede(m): 1:12pm On May 08, 2022
Well, me too, sometimes I feel like shooting some people thinking they are animals shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Suspected Paris Attack Mastermind Now Dead (photos) / Barack Obama's Tweet On Charlottesville Becomes Most Popular Tweet Ever(Pic) / South Africa - Starving Rioters Say They Are On Verge Of Eating Each Other(Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.