Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term (10443 Views)

President Jonathan Proposes 'Hall Of Shame' For Criminals / Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy / Jonathan Denies Initiating Single-term Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
Jonathan proposes 7-year single term

, for President, governors • National Assembly’ll get bill soon

Worried by the rising cases of violence and tension across the country during elections, the Presidency has concluded plans to send a bill to the National Assembly for a single term of seven years for governors and Presidents. It reasoned that political violence was always caused by the resolve of incumbent governors and president to run for a second tenure of office.

National Mirror gathered that the Presidency would soon send the bill to the National Assembly after the Senate might have concluded the screening and confirmation of ministerial and ambassadorial nominees. It was also learnt that the Presidency was presently putting together another set of nominees for screening and confirmation for appointment as ambassadors and representatives of of Nigeria in foreign countries.

Reliable sources close to the Presidency told National Mirror that the decision on the proposal to reduce the tenure of the governors and President to a single term of seven years was reached between President Goodluck Jonathan and the leadership of the sixth National Assembly with an agreement that it should be one of the first major bills to be sent to the lawmakers after the screening exercise.

It was also gathered that the bill would be part of the input of the Presidency in the next amendment to the constitution, the process of which would begin shortly after the screening. According to the source, “There is a bill from the Presidency which seeks to alter the subsisting provision of the constitution which provides for a second term tenure and replace it with a single term of seven years.

“The President wanted to present the Bill to the former National Assembly but was advised against it because there was no much time left to the end of that Assembly. “The bill is still a proposal, but why we suggested seven years is because the number of years will certainly be reduced to either six or thereabouts. We know that it would generate a lot of controversies and there would be all manners of suggestions to reduce the number of years. “Why I said so is because those drafting the bill did not state clearly whether the single term will begin with the incumbent President.

It may also interest you to know that because of the tension that always greet the re-elections of incumbent governors and president, it was agreed that beyond reducing the tenure to a single term, there should be a provision whereby the rotation of the presidency amongst the six geo-political zones would become a constitutional issue. “But the problem and criticism that we expect now are that if you include rotational presidency in the constitution, people would now question the moral justification because the President himself is not a product of zoning.

“Maybe that aspect would be removed before the bill gets to the National Assembly, but I can confirm to you that there is a bill on single term to be forwarded to the National Assembly soon,” the source said. The 1999 constitution provides for a second term of office for governors and the president. A former principal officer of the last Senate told our correspondent: “I was personally briefed with the thinking that some of us would return to the Senate and possibly retain our positions in the leadership and we were to support it when it comes, but truly I bought into the idea as a person but felt seven years was too much. “Again, when the law takes effect is also a problem to me because the bill is silent on that very important aspect and that is the much I can tell you,” the ex-lawmakers said.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/16094.html
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan’s Proposal for Tenure Extension for President and Governors

by Dr. Michael Egbosiuba
Déjà vu all over again: Tenure extension for Nigerian presidents and governors.

In 2006-2007, former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo embarked in a disastrous quest for a 3rd term which would have extended his presidential tenure from 8 years to 12 years or more. After 8 years in office, he started seeing himself as indispensable to the Nigerian progress and peaceful co-existence. He cobbled together various reasons to justify his position. One reason advanced by him was that God does not believe in failed projects, meaning that he needs more time to complete all the projects he started. His unwise quest for tenure elongation as we all know turned out to be very catastrophic for his integrity and image at home and abroad. Foreign governments, especially western democratic governments and Nigerians who hailed him as a democrat when he was first elected turned against him. Obasanjo never recovered from his wrong-headed adventure.
Today, President Goodluck Jonathan is set to embark on another ill-conceived adventure. This time he wants to change the constitution and increase president and governor’s tenure from a four year to a seven year single term. In Nigerian current political dispensation, presidents and governors can run for two consecutive four year terms, but in his proposed plan, presidents and governors can only run for one single seven year term. President Jonathan said that four year tenure is too expensive for the country and he will not benefit from the change in the tenure. I think he is probably telling the truth with regard to future beneficiaries of this effort. It is true that a four year term is too expensive. However, a seven year single term may be far more expensive figuratively, by that I mean the cumulative cost may be terrible for Nigeria. Let’s examine the potential pros and cons.
Pros:
Seven year tenure will mean that election will be held every seven years instead of four years which means less money will be spent on elections.

Seven year single term may encourage some presidents or governors to take bold steps with regard to the economic, political or social policies they think will benefit the country in the short and long-run without fear of negative backlash when they seek re-election.

Zoning will be easier to implement across the six geo-political zones in a seven year single term compared to what we have now.

Cons:
Seven year single term will be more likely to enshrine the culture of impunity that already exist in Nigeria. Politicians will be less responsive to the electorate if they do not have to worry about re-election.

Corruption is likely to increase because they will accumulate all they can without fear of immediate repercussion from the electorate.

Seven year single term gives less incentive to successive presidents or governors to record achievements quickly so they can be rewarded with a second term. This incentive is a critical part of two terms. A President or governor will be more responsive to the electorate and less likely to govern like an emperor. Four year or five year consecutive term creates a self- perpetuating incentive of reward which in turn benefits the entire country. Typical example is the United States where four year two consecutive term have been in existence since post Franklin Roosevelt era. It is not perfect, but it has worked so far.

What happens if the electorate mistakenly elects an incompetent leader? That means Nigerians will be saddled with the person for seven years. Some leaders are so narcissistic to the point of believing that their policies are correct and should not be questioned. One may say that the Senate, House of Representative and House of Assembles are there to check and balance the executive power. That may not always be the case.

President Goodluck Jonathan’s proposal will not be good for Nigeria. The negative consequence of this proposal is enormous. Nigerians will be better off shunning this proposal. President Goodluck Jonathan means well, but good intentions are not enough. This type of proposal is especially bad for a developing country like Nigeria where democracy and strong laws is just taking root. Mexico is practicing six year single term, and it does not seem to be working well. France has a seven year term but the president can run for re-election. Five year two consecutive terms will not be a bad idea, but length of politician tenure should not be a priority for Nigeria at this time. Zoning should be discarded in Nigerian politics. Selection of leaders should be based on merit and capability not ethnicity, religion or geography. A good leader ends up lifting up the entire country. Conducting free and fair election should be of utmost priority for Nigeria at this time. Politician elected in a fair and free election is more likely to be responsive to the electorate which will take care of the malaise bedeviling Nigeria.

http://www.allthingsnigeria.com/2011/president-goodluck-jonathans-proposal-for-tenure-extension-for-president-and-governors
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
4yrs = [size=18pt]FRESH AIR[/size]

7yrs = [size=22pt]FRESHER AIR[/size]
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Lagosboy: 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
If this is true then i fear for the unity of Nigeria , why should we change the goal post in the middle of the game.

Jonathan swore an oath of office of 4 years and the heavliy compromised senators would be ready to play the ball with him. Single tenure is a diasaster for Nigeria otherwise how will another Ohakim be voted out or how will an Akala duplicate be kicked out of office.

All it means is I rig an election and i go on holiday for 7 years leaving the people to suffer. OGD performed averagely well in his first term with the hope of bagging a 2nd term which he did and virtually went on a fighting sabbatical with every human being.

Well this if fresh air as  . . . .  voted Jonathan and not PDP
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by mallamu: 4:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
God forbid. If this man stays beyond 4yrs, then we are finished.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
very good

like we all know our politicians are very greedy for money and power

in developed countries, the head of states uses only 4 years before u see a significant change

now in nigeria, we would wait 7 years for a signifacant change

i dey laff oooo
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by blacksta(m): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2011
EMPEROR GEJ   -

Soon Another Presido will come and say 7 years is not enough and he or she want 2 terms of 7 years
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:34pm On Jul 12, 2011
2 months in power

bombing in abuja x 2

bombing in jos x3

bombing in borno x 6-10

bombing in niger x 3

i dey laff

even independece day bombing,
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by EzeUche(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2011
Who will support him on this quest?

The North? No. . .

The South-West? No. . .

The South-East? No. . .

Without the support of any of the three major groups, he will lose.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by apoti(m): 4:36pm On Jul 12, 2011
alj_harem:

2 months in power

bombing in abuja x 2

bombing in jos x3

bombing in borno x 6-10

bombing in niger x 3

i dey laff

even independece day bombing,

This one na real FRESH AIR o  grin cheesy shocked angry cry
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
apoti:

This one na real FRESH AIR o  grin cheesy shocked angry cry

abi no be fresh air again

i even forgot,

flooding in lagos

SMH
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
EzeUche:

The North? No. . .

The South-West? No. . .

The South-East? No. . .

we the GEJ supports but the PDP supports would support him
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by lwise(m): 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2011
Even 4yrs is too much for Jonathan.
Hw I wish I sleep today n wake up tommorrow,check da calender n see may 29,2015. angry
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2011
EzeUche:

The North? No. . .

The South-West? No. . .

The South-East? No. . .

I strongly disagree with u,he will not have any problem sailing it through,it will be a cake walk.
besides he is very popular,
he was massively 'voted' by Nigerians from all parts of the country in a 'free-nd-fair' election,
he promised to pay minimum wage this month and also increased the alawee of corp members,
hes adding 12 more ministries so as to create 'employment' for d elites,
and many more too numerous and ridiculous to mention

so the ppl dat will complain are the ppl dat ddnt vote for him,and from the election results we've seen that those ppl are very few,
so ride on GEJ.
Nigerians brace urselves.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
Muza:

I strongly disagree with u,he will not have any problem sailing it through,it will be a cake walk.
he was massively 'voted' by Nigerians from all parts of the country in a 'free-nd-fair' election,
he promised to pay minimum wage this month and also increased the alawee of corp members,

so the ppl dat will complain are the ppl dat ddnt vote for him,and from the election results we've seen that those ppl are very few,
so ride on GEJ.

well said
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by aljharem3: 4:49pm On Jul 12, 2011
how would does jonathan hope to change this boko harem thing before he started day dreaming about 7 yrs
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by lonelypal(m): 4:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
Muza:

Worried by the rising cases of violence and tension across the country during elections, the Presidency has concluded plans to send a bill to the National Assembly for a single term of seven years for governors and Presidents. It reasoned that political violence was always caused by the resolve of incumbent governors and president to run for a second tenure of office.

National Mirror gathered that the Presidency would soon send the bill to the National Assembly after the Senate might have concluded the screening and confirmation of ministerial and ambassadorial nominees. It was also learnt that the Presidency was presently putting together another set of nominees for screening and confirmation for appointment as ambassadors and representatives of of Nigeria in foreign countries.

Reliable sources close to the Presidency told National Mirror that the decision on the proposal to reduce the tenure of the governors and President to a single term of seven years was reached between President Goodluck Jonathan and the leadership of the sixth National Assembly with an agreement that it should be one of the first major bills to be sent to the lawmakers after the screening exercise.

It was also gathered that the bill would be part of the input of the Presidency in the next amendment to the constitution, the process of which would begin shortly after the screening. According to the source, “There is a bill from the Presidency which seeks to alter the subsisting provision of the constitution which provides for a second term tenure and replace it with a single term of seven years.

“The President wanted to present the Bill to the former National Assembly but was advised against it because there was no much time left to the end of that Assembly. “The bill is still a proposal, but why we suggested seven years is because the number of years will certainly be reduced to either six or thereabouts. We know that it would generate a lot of controversies and there would be all manners of suggestions to reduce the number of years. “Why I said so is because those drafting the bill did not state clearly whether the single term will begin with the incumbent President.

It may also interest you to know that because of the tension that always greet the re-elections of incumbent governors and president, it was agreed that beyond reducing the tenure to a single term, there should be a provision whereby the rotation of the presidency amongst the six geo-political zones would become a constitutional issue. “But the problem and criticism that we expect now are that if you include rotational presidency in the constitution, people would now question the moral justification because the President himself is not a product of zoning.

“Maybe that aspect would be removed before the bill gets to the National Assembly, but I can confirm to you that there is a bill on single term to be forwarded to the National Assembly soon,” the source said. The 1999 constitution provides for a second term of office for governors and the president. A former principal officer of the last Senate told our correspondent: “I was personally briefed with the thinking that some of us would return to the Senate and possibly retain our positions in the leadership and we were to support it when it comes, but truly I bought into the idea as a person but felt seven years was too much. “Again, when the law takes effect is also a problem to me because the bill is silent on that very important aspect and that is the much I can tell you,” the ex-lawmakers said.

Who are the morons reasoning with our so called president?

It had better not b true else I see Nigeria (not sitting) but about to open a Keg of Gunpowder, Seriously I dnt knw how ds guys think n solve issues. This just confirms how clueless GEJ is. How can you propose such dumb idea to tacle election violence? What do they take us for ? Even a 5 yrs old knw this isnt the motive behind d 7 yr single term being proposed, As if we ve not had enough problems at hand. This ODECHUKWU called JONATHAN is just anoda terrible Mistake Nigerians made during d conduct of the last election angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by coogar: 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2011
Muza:

no problem with the proposal as long as it does not start from him. . . . . let it start with the next president.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
lmao

GEJ is kinda smart,i think i shud give dat to him,or either many Nigerians are very dumb.

GEJ wants to cunningly achieve the 3rd term agenda

1yr acting president + 4yrs President + 7yrs President = 12yrs

12yrs/4 = 3terms

[size=18pt]I dey Laugh,
fresh air ko fresh fart ni
[/size]
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 5:06pm On Jul 12, 2011
coogar:

no problem with the proposal as long as it does not start from him. . . . . let it start with the next president.

hav u taken time to think that it will not only affect him but also state govs,how do we do wit another Ohakim or Akala. . . .etc?

and u nd i knw dat A Nigerian politician will neva do anythn not in his favour
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Demdem(m): 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2011
Muza:

so ride on GEJ.

I dont think MumuGej will find it that easy. It will involve constitutional changes that all the state houses of Assembly have to append to.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2011
Demdem:

I dont think MumuGej will find it that easy. It will involve constitutional changes that all the state houses of Assembly have to append to.

its all about d price,and i'm sure GEJ will be able to afford,if not tell me what NSA's office is doing with those hundreds of billions of Naira elrufai blew d whistle on in his article
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2011
Gej is DULL he needs more time to be active,  Lets give it to him.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by pokur: 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2011
Now we know the real 'transformational agenda'.
For those who think the Clueless One will not be a beneficiary,just remember that no law can have retroactive effect.Which means after 2015,GEJ can run for a fresh term of 7yrs,that is if this proposal is allowed to pass.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by pokur: 5:30pm On Jul 12, 2011
Can't say i'm surprised though,the kite was flown briefly late last year,but nobody took it serious.We were busy being distracted by Mallam Adamu Ciroma and the zoning palava.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
Posterity will never forgive the Nigerians who voted for PDP,so this is the best Nigeria needs now.Common Social welfare as an Oil producing nation we dont have yet they go on jamborees in FCT while the average man suffers,its either time for a coup or a bloody revolution and if BH cant do it some other militants will.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by bzredder: 5:39pm On Jul 12, 2011
People that are saying GEJ is thinking about this as a 3rd term tactic are pettyminded . This is a bold move and I am proud to see we have a president who can think and act dynamically. The 4 yr term is an American Invention and although not bad, it was designed for an American government in the 18th century. We are a multiethnic AFRICAN nation in the 21st century and a 4 year election cycle means that every 4 years we spend money we dont have to fight, rig elections and vote. For us the 7 year term is something worth looking at. So lets remember that some of us are educated world travelled people and look at it constructively insteading of bleating "3rd term agenda" like sheep.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by dustydee: 5:43pm On Jul 12, 2011
7 years of immunity. EFCC will meanwhile go after petty thieves. grin
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Muza(m): 5:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
bzredder:

People that are saying GEJ is thinking about this as a 3rd term tactic are pettyminded . This is a bold move and I am proud to see we have a president who can think and act dynamically. The 4 yr term is an American Invention and although not bad, it was designed for an American government in the 18th century. We are a multiethnic AFRICAN nation in the 21st century and a 4 year election cycle means that every 4 years we spend money we dont have to fight, rig elections and vote. For us the 7 year term is something worth looking at. So lets remember that some of us are educated world travelled people and look at it constructively insteading of bleating "3rd term agenda" like sheep.

i sure u are beaf,or Abati or oronto Douglas
have you considered these? def not cos you sycophantic mind wont let u.

Seven year single term will be more likely to enshrine the culture of impunity that already exist in Nigeria. Politicians will be less responsive to the electorate if they do not have to worry about re-election.

Corruption is likely to increase because they will accumulate all they can without fear of immediate repercussion from the electorate.

Seven year single term gives less incentive to successive presidents or governors to record achievements quickly so they can be rewarded with a second term. This incentive is a critical part of two terms. A President or governor will be more responsive to the electorate and less likely to govern like an emperor. Four year or five year consecutive term creates a self- perpetuating incentive of reward which in turn benefits the entire country. Typical example is the United States where four year two consecutive term have been in existence since post Franklin Roosevelt era. It is not perfect, but it has worked so far.

What happens if the electorate mistakenly elects an incompetent leader? That means Nigerians will be saddled with the person for seven years. Some leaders are so narcissistic to the point of believing that their policies are correct and should not be questioned. One may say that the Senate, House of Representative and House of Assembles are there to check and balance the executive power. That may not always be the case.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by NegroNtns(m): 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2011
I agree with Dr Egbosiuba's argument.

I see a pattern where each political regime wants to introduce amendments to the cnstitution.
That should be discouraged and I wonder what provisions exist in the constituion itself on an amendment ratification and if that's be adhered to by the executive and the assembly.
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2011
Murderators
Where is beaf ?
Re: Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term by wesley80(m): 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2011
This issue is not new in Nigeria, it has always been in the cards but the time for a reasonable debate and possible adoption had not presented itself until now (perhaps). We r always looking at the negatives of every single issue and most times, our emotions precedes our reasoning.
Any objective analyst wld agree that there r immense benefits in adopting such a system as the most critical ingredient in a nations development is STABILITY countries like Tunisia, Gambia, Botswana etc r not known for their capable leaders but r investors haven because of their relative stability. We all know how this nation tethers to an edge every election period with each region strongly polarized and our ethno-religious differences laid bare, the wounds barely heal before the next round of elections, so wont an idea to reduce such seasonal conflict by half be welcome? No doubt there r justifiable worries but what we have to do is weigh the costs and benefits without sentiments.
BTW, I'm sure Gej knows better than to start such an idea with himself so u can all leave him out of your senseless tirades.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Orders That Alleged Nyanya Bombers Be Tried In Camera / Kayode Fayemi Leads Nigerian Delegation To Australia, September 6 / Boko-haram Leader Salutes Global Jihadists In Video:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.