Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Help! I don't want to go school - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! I don't want to go school (2923 Views)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / I Cheated On My Husband With A Guy From Work And I Don't Know What To Do. / Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I don't want to go school by Threesha(f): 5:34pm On May 10, 2022
From DM

I am 21 yrs and my parents are on my neck to go to school, the truth is I struggled to even finish secondary school. Please, how do I convinced them that I am not xut out for school or interested in school
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by QuinModah(f): 5:36pm On May 10, 2022
"School na scam" "Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg have no degrees". You will usually here this phrase from youths and students who see no future, hope or necessity in their University education.
Others have brothers and sisters who graduated from Universities but never used their degree.

Some graduates sell wigs online, do menial Jobs or are into Bi.nance and cry.pt.ocurrency.

All in all, many youths are still fighting their way to get into a University, many of them write Jamb year after year. PostUtme after PostUtme. They attend many private lessons and hire tutors just to enable them get a University admission. And many people get in hardly recover from carry-overs.
Those wasted years and money can be put into sometime useful.

Is University education really compulsory?

Why is there no accepted/popular alternative learning/ skill acquisition opportunity for the non-book smart?

Why is skill acquisition regarded as a second option in Nigeria?

Why does it sound derogatory to learn tailoring, baking, mechatronics, etc.

Lets be honest, not every youth is really interested in tertiary education. Many are under parental pressure to go to the university like every other person does. This narrative has to change. Not everyone is bound to excel on pen and paper. Everyone is wired differently. Imagine if these Yahoo boys could put their street-smart knowledge into good use.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Pascopele: 5:56pm On May 10, 2022
Let me share a short story

Kamoru, was not the brightest of students, most teacher said he wouldn't amount to anything. He usually hangs out close to a mechanic shop usually lost in thoughts to himself.

One fateful day, the owner of the workshop saw Kamoru and asked him why he was thinking, he explained to everything to him and the owner asked him if he would like to learn mechanic. This is a decade and half kamoru is far better than most of his mates.

Meet other singles in your location on telegram channel https://t(dot)me/ SafeHavenJoint
First 100 ONLY

5 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Rubyjade: 6:02pm On May 10, 2022
We all cannot be doctors, lawyers and engineers.
My younger sister no get head for school but na she train most of us for school.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Hamachi(f): 6:07pm On May 10, 2022
In this part of the world, we are so engrossed with schooling, Madam! Oga! Brother! Sister! The end product na MONEY! Se fini

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by garriAndsugar: 6:08pm On May 10, 2022
So we should convince your parents for you or what?

10 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Oyindamolah: 6:10pm On May 10, 2022
garriAndsugar:
There thousand of young people in this situation your input could help the young lad make a good decision.
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Oyindamolah: 6:13pm On May 10, 2022
If there is one thing I've learnt in this life is not to generalize, surprisingly or not, I didn't learn that in school. When I hear people say "school na scam" I feel the need to point out that it depends on the course one is studying. For courses like Medicine, school is not only not a scam but a necessity, as for the others, formal education might not be necessary.

Just two weeks ago, I was having this discussion with young folks, one said, " he discovered that what he has spent the last 5 years studying (6 if you include last year) can be learnt in less than a year. Also the most important thing I learnt in school, which was in my senior secondary school days, was that he didn't need a teacher to teach him, as long as I can read I can learn anything.

The truth of the matter is that the education system is outdated, at least the one we have here. School is meant to prepare one for life but what we have is the opposite.

I had a lecturer in my year 3 who was always saying that grades don't matter it is about what you know. I never got an A in any of his course.

Last two years I went for a Training, that was when I understood what he was trying to tell us. It was then I knew I knew nothing.

In school we are made to cram formulas and diagrams but in the real world we are given those and asked to interpret the result.

In my field we still perform complicated calculations involving series of iterations on paper while in the real world they use python and Matlab.

In school we are made to work alone and any form of collaboration is seen as cheating even in classwork, assignment and projects while in the real world teamwork is a virtue. I can go on and on as to how for a course like mine, school na scam. Unfortunately I did not realize this on time, maybe I would have dropped out if I did.

Now it is too late to drop out as I have less than 7 months remaining. The major reason though while I haven't given dropping out much thought is because I know that this my stand on school being a scam only applies to my undergraduate degree program as I'm so looking forward to be done with it so I can start the more interesting 2nd degree.

A lot of people will continue to fall for this cheap scam unless a better alternative is provided. One thing I discovered after gaining admission was that the greatest hindrance to my education was schooling (I can't explain what I mean by this, maybe later).

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by lavylilly: 6:29pm On May 10, 2022
I think it really depends. I don't believe in getting degrees for show and bragging purposes. An education is a lifelong thing. Everyone needs a general education, then once people find what they love they pursue it. Give them exposure and then they have to right choose what they like.

6 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by frozen70(f): 7:57pm On May 10, 2022
Threesha:
From DM

You just have to seat both of them down to explain to them why you can't go to school

Schooling is for those who have the interest and not just to go there to waste their time and money

Talk to your mum in private, mothers understands and will know how to talk to Dad

7 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by lavylilly: 10:47pm On May 10, 2022
wink
frozen70:

You have have to seat both of them down to explain to them why you can't go to school

Schooling is for those who have the interest and not just to go there to waste their time and money

Talk to your mum in private, mothers understands and will know how to talk to Dad
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by cavreek: 10:55pm On May 10, 2022
Not everyone is made for school but I am of the opinion that it gives you an edge over others
Pls try as much as possible to if u can u never know when that certificate can be of help
Never follow the advice of those saying school na scam, just because it didn't favour dem doesn't mean ur case will be same

10 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by DaBogu: 11:13pm On May 10, 2022
cool
cavreek:
Not everyone is made for school but I am of the opinion that it gives you an edge over others
Pls try as much as possible to if u can u never know when that certificate can be of help
Never follow the advice of those saying school na scam, just because it didn't favour dem doesn't mean ur case will be same
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Shidda: 3:27am On May 11, 2022
Find a way to start making money, when they see it, they'll leave you alone

5 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by malik28: 6:35am On May 11, 2022
QuinModah:
"School na scam" "Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg have no degrees". You will usually here this phrase from youths and students who see no future, hope or necessity in their University education.
Others have brothers and sisters who graduated from Universities but never used their degree.

Some graduates sell wigs online, do menial Jobs or are into Bi.nance and cry.pt.ocurrency.

All in all, many youths are still fighting their way to get into a University, many of them write Jamb year after year. PostUtme after PostUtme. They attend many private lessons and hire tutors just to enable them get a University admission. And many people get in hardly recover from carry-overs.
Those wasted years and money can be put into sometime useful.

Is University education really compulsory?

Why is there no accepted/popular alternative learning/ skill acquisition opportunity for the non-book smart?

Why is skill acquisition regarded as a second option in Nigeria?

Why does it sound derogatory to learn tailoring, baking, mechatronics, etc.

Lets be honest, not every youth is really interested in tertiary education. Many are under parental pressure to go to the university like every other person does. This narrative has to change. Not everyone is bound to excel on pen and paper. Everyone is wired differently. Imagine if these Yahoo boys could put their street-smart knowledge into good use.
. Pls call me I'm loving you 09063281241

4 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by dopedan(m): 7:16am On May 11, 2022
If you know get money no go school o
I know wetin my broke niggas suffer i dey beg u o, you no b girl wey fit attach to one guy, just take your time and start something, d money dey plan to give u for school should be used for something profitable, if you start bringing something home dey will forget about school

9 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Channah1(f): 8:11am On May 11, 2022
You better go to school and try to finish anyhow now that you still have your parents around. Otherwise in 10 years to come, you'll regret your choice.

You may not see the importance of going to school or even know the value of your parents now because you're still being fed and housed, you don't pay bills or cater for your needs until your parents grow old and become too weak to carry out any more financial responsibilities. Then you're left to cater for yourself, that is when you'll say, "had I known" because with no certificate at hand, no skill of any sort, how and with what do you intend to go in search of a livelyhood and survive? I pity you.

The future is not so far again.its already starring you in the face and before you know it, its here. How prepared are you to face it?

You better seize every opportunity you have to do the right thing NOW.

6 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Oyindamolah: 6:20pm On May 11, 2022
frozen70:

You just have to seat both of them down to explain to them why you can't go to school

Well said
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by frozen70(f): 7:03pm On May 11, 2022
Oyindamolah:
Well said

Thanks
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Richy4(m): 2:36am On May 12, 2022
I agree with that Writer above... I feel really sad each time I see things like Bill Gates did not go to school... Bla bla bla...Do we need to remind people that the Nigerian system is different from that of the American system? Some countries kill dreams while some make dreams come to life...

The opportunity Bill Gate has as a citizen of America, the ability of corporate organisation to recognise invention and make it a reality is more realistic in US than in Nigeria..

If you have a vision or a dream to invent something worthwhile, do you think as a WAEC holder someone/ company will even look at the proposal not to talk of sponsoring it?.... Assuming Bill Gate or Mark Zuckerberg were Nigerians, Can u imagine what would have happened?....

I believe that there are many Nigerians who are innovative and have one invention or the other but it's tucked away somewhere in the closet because no company is willing to take the chance to sponsor it...

The gap between a graduate and someone that learnt a trade is too wide in Nigeria which is not supposed to be...
Every one must not go to school yes.. but using Bill Gate to drive a point home when it has to do with someone residing in Nigeria is not realistic...

Assuming an American citizen was telling a fellow citizen that everyone must not be a university graduate and gives Bill Gate as an example.. then it's cool... But a Nigerian, residing in Nigeria, that knows how the system works, telling a fellow Nigerian that everyone must not go to school.. then use Bill Gate as an example..SMH

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by QuinModah(f): 1:40pm On May 12, 2022
kiss
malik28:
. Pls call me I'm loving you 09063281241
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by malik28: 2:18pm On May 12, 2022
QuinModah:
kiss
I'm seriously in love with you

5 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Spherical77(m): 2:25pm On May 12, 2022
Richy4:
I agree with that Writer above... I feel really sad each time I see things like Bill Gates did not go to school... Bla bla bla...Do we need to remind people that the Nigerian system is different from that of the American system? Some countries kill dreams while some make dreams come to life...

The opportunity Bill Gate has as a citizen of America, the ability of corporate organisation to recognise invention and make it a reality is more realistic in US than in Nigeria..

If you have a vision or a dream to invent something worthwhile, do you think as a WAEC holder someone/ company will even look at the proposal not to talk of sponsoring it?.... Assuming Bill Gate or Mark Zuckerberg were Nigerians, Can u imagine what would have happened?....

I believe that there are many Nigerians who are innovative and have one invention or the other but it's tucked away somewhere in the closet because no company is willing to take the chance to sponsor it...

The gap between a graduate and someone that learnt a trade is too wide in Nigeria which is not supposed to be...
Every one must not go to school yes.. but using Bill Gate to drive a point home when it has to do with someone residing in Nigeria is not realistic...

Assuming an American citizen was telling a fellow citizen that everyone must not be a university graduate and gives Bill Gate as an example.. then it's cool... But a Nigerian, residing in Nigeria, that knows how the system works, telling a fellow Nigerian that everyone must not go to school.. then use Bill Gate as an example..SMH
some would even go as far as claiming Dangote didn't go to school. Bunch of ignorant folks smiley

Btw, your piece is so apt

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Saintmary(f): 2:30pm On May 12, 2022
Threesha:
From DM

Tell her I said her mates are finishing NYSC and she's there talking nonsense.

How can she say she's a failure even before starting life?

I dey vex sef, I would like to reset her coconut head.

Make she no waste her parents' hard earned money sha, what a painful waste that will be.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by lavylilly: 2:39pm On May 12, 2022
smiley
Richy4:

1 Like

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Pascopele: 5:06pm On May 12, 2022
garriAndsugar:
He is not interested in school at all
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Nobody: 12:43am On May 13, 2022
Graduates plenty for streets.

5 Likes

Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Pascopele: 6:41am On May 13, 2022
garriAndsugar:
undecided
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Threesha(f): 5:41am On May 14, 2022
Revolution2022:
Graduates plenty for streets.
meaning?!
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Oyindamolah: 5:45am On May 14, 2022
wink
frozen70:

Thanks
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 14, 2022
frozen70:

Thanks
Good day Ma. I sent you a pm
Re: Help! I don't want to go school by frozen70(f): 2:32pm On May 14, 2022
Gracia12:

Good day Ma. I sent you a pm

Good day, I don't accept such

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Will You Do If Your Pet Suddenly Turns Against You / Is It Right To Keep Secret From Your Husband? / Carpool In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.