Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,886 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up (24340 Views)

Nedum Onuoha: I Don't Feel Safe In The US / Nedum Onuoha: Ibrahimovic Kept Saying He Was Going To Hurt Me / Alex Iwobi: "Why I Snubbed England To Play For Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Happened: 8:07am On May 19, 2022
Nedum Onuoha has admitted he snubbed the chance to play for Nigeria because he was afraid of losing his Manchester City place.

According to him, he was approached twice by the three-time African champions, but he turned it down.

Onuoha was born in Warri, Delta State , but his family emigrated to the UK when he was young.

He received his British citizenship at seven and became eligible to feature for England.

After his breakthrough at City, Onuoha became a regular for the England U20s and 21s, representing them 21 times in four years.

And while the defender waited for a dream Three Lions call-up, the then Super Eagles coach Berti Vogts spoke with him ahead of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

Speaking to Sports Mole, Onuoha said, “In the lead up to the AFCON championships, you could hear how people were speaking ill of it, the timing of it, not taking it seriously and the like, and that frustrated me so I was continually pushing back, pushing back against it and initially when I was [at Man City] under Mancini, I said to Berti Vogts, the then Nigeria manager, that I couldn’t go because I wasn’t comfortable in my club position.

“[At the time, I felt] that you would fall down the pecking order if you decided to go and play for your national team. This would never be the case if you were playing for England or if you were playing for another European nation.”

Onuoha represented City for eight years, playing in 93 league fixtures, before finally leaving for Queens Park Rangers in 2012.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/05/19/i-snubbed-super-eagles-because-of-man-city-nedum-onuoha-opens-up/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by paulolee(m): 8:50am On May 19, 2022
not surprised because I'll do the same....
i gat a football friend dt was invited to Georgia for trials and was luckily signed by saburtalo but still praying for a big move to Europe top 5 leagues to get more money.
i was chatting with him and I asked him If he makes d move to a small EPL team, Nigeria ask him to play for super eagles to come n serve is father land, wat would be his reply..
the guy said he would instead beg to play for Georgia for free than flying down to Nigeria to represent a county dt doesn't care about its citizens before and after fame....I get his point..

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by FactBoyz: 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by updatechange(m): 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
It's a common trait in England especially when you are eligible to play for their national team

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Klington: 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
Nigeria as a whole is a Dream killer

Choose what's best for you.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by DICKstractor: 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
undecided

You made the right decision.

This country doesn't actually care for you. The show their fake love only when you are made. That's when they will try identifying with you but when you are struggling, they will never give you an enabling environment to grow

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by seunaj: 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
Pep obviously don't like African players.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Sabadon(m): 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
angry

1 Like

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by PNomsule: 1:53pm On May 19, 2022
Taaaaaa getat

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by aaaaabbbbbccccc: 1:54pm On May 19, 2022
grin
Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Enoch07: 1:54pm On May 19, 2022
Good for you, I don see where e land you finally.

5 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by supereagle(m): 1:54pm On May 19, 2022
You did well.

2 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by akinmusi(m): 1:54pm On May 19, 2022
Greener
Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by theophorus(m): 1:54pm On May 19, 2022
Que Sera-Sera.
You should have listen to your mind rather than let SM opinion influence your decision.

However, just forget about it. All of Us get some form of regret.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Maverick777: 1:55pm On May 19, 2022
Happened:

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/05/19/i-snubbed-super-eagles-because-of-man-city-nedum-onuoha-opens-up/

you acted wisely son!
have no regrets whatsoever...
it is what it is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by etzskillz(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2022
Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by playapayaski: 1:55pm On May 19, 2022
Good decision then..
Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Promzone(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2022
Yeye dey smell
abeg don't stylist tell us you're now regreting your decision, baba park well make we see front

my country is not for second-hand products like you

12 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by snadguy007(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2022
You took after your mentor John Fashanu

8 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Abalado(f): 1:56pm On May 19, 2022
Osiwin footballer

2 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:57pm On May 19, 2022
Good decision by him. Ronaldo and Messi earn up to 500,000 to 600,000 pounds per week. If they were Nigerians they will find it uncomfortable playing AFCON on January every 2 years. Especially if a clause in their contract at their respective club stipulates they won't be paid when absent. That will mean a loss of about 1 billion to 1.4 billion naira for each of them for the 4 weeks.

How will NFF compensate invited players that are under a much lucrative contract is what we should be talking about.

3 Likes

Re: I Snubbed Super Eagles Because Of Man City – Nedum Onuoha Opens Up by Lovelife433(m): 1:57pm On May 19, 2022
Werey bro max.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria To Play France In Friendly / Plateau United Is New Champion Of The Nigerian Professional Football League / Godfrey Oboabona Shares Photos With His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.