Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,511 members, 7,843,550 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East (4488 Views)

Russia Captures Ukrainian Villages As Ground Assault Continues / 'Bakhmut Is Down' - Russia Captures Bakhmut City In Ukraine (Photo) / Apple Fire Rages In California, Thousands Evacuated (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 5:16pm On May 31, 2022
TenQ:

I agree with you that China is also coming up with respect to IC Chip technologies, however
As of 2021, only three firms are able to manufacture the most advanced semiconductors: TSMC of Taiwan, Samsung of South Korea, and Intel of the United States.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_industry

This would be a big plus to Mainland China. Coupled with the fact that mainland China is far much richer and has the military might to attempt incorporating Taiwan permanently into China.

Thanks for reminding me about Huawei's stride in IC tech. China isn't exactly backward in this technology unlike Russia.

Erm, not just 3 - France, Germany and even Singapore/Malaysia produce advanced IC chip. And Huawei is up there now. I’m sure you know, Siemens, the godfather of IC chip, is German.

Not spending resources on manufacturing something that can easily be purchased at a cheaper price doesn’t necessarily mean backwardness. Most American planes, ships and submarines were and are still powered by British-made engines and a lot of components from Italy, France, Sweden and Germany. Does that mean American is backward in those tech they outsourced?

People tend to underestimate Russian tech/scientists because they make boring stuffs but experts know Russians have the best mathematicians, computer scientists and physicists per capita in the world. And they can build anything if they’re interested in it. Heck, the fastest ever jet made for a fighter jet that saw combat and is still in service, MiG-25 Foxbat, was built by them in the 60s. And they still build the most reliable and durable jet engines in the world.

So, they’re not “backward” when it comes to IC chips - ICs are just cheaper to buy. But with sanctions - they’ll probably start building their own. IC chips are rocket science - just a lot of programming and a bit of engineering.

Anyway, China doesn’t really need Taiwan for IC chips - it has its own. China vs Taiwan has more to do geopolitics and power projection than IC chips.

5 Likes

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by WriterNig: 5:44pm On May 31, 2022
°°°°°°
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 6:20pm On May 31, 2022
AldrichAmes:

Erm, not just 3 - France, Germany and even Singapore/Malaysia produce advanced IC chip. And Huawei is up there now. I’m sure you know, Siemens, the godfather of IC chip, is German.

Not spending resources on manufacturing something that can easily be purchased at a cheaper price doesn’t necessarily mean backwardness. Most American planes, ships and submarines were and are still powered by British-made engines and a lot of components from Italy, France, Sweden and Germany. Does that mean American is backward in those tech they outsourced?

People tend to underestimate Russian tech/scientists because they make boring stuffs but experts know Russians have the best mathematicians, computer scientists and physicists per capita in the world. And they can build anything if they’re interested in it. Heck, the fastest ever jet made for a fighter jet that saw combat and is still in service, MiG-25 Foxbat, was built by them in the 60s. And they still build the most reliable and durable jet engines in the world.

So, they’re not “backward” when it comes to IC chips - ICs are just cheaper to buy. But with sanctions - they’ll probably start building their own. IC chips are rocket science - just a lot of programming and a bit of engineering.

Anyway, China doesn’t really need Taiwan for IC chips - it has its own. China vs Taiwan has more to do geopolitics and power projection than IC chips.
China isn't backward technologically, that's not my point. I only quoted a source which states that as at 2021 Taiwan and not China is one of the three biggest IC chip manufacturers in the world capable of the most advanced IC. You can correct me if China manufactures any of the latest Android phone processors, iPhone processors, computer processors. The technology is truely mind boggling as of today.
BUT
In the past, Qualcomm had got some of its chipsets, such as the Snapdragon 888 (2020), the Snapdragon 865 (2019) and the Snapdragon 855 (2018), made by Taiwan's TSMC.

Meanwhile with respect to China
In 2020, China imported $350 billion worth of chips, accounting for one-sixth of total imports. China can mass-produce almost anything, but microchips, especially high-end ones, are still beyond its reach. To change that, China established a $22 billion investment fund in 2014 and added $29 billion to it in 2019, although little has come of it so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.protocol.com/amp/chinese-companies-make-own-semiconductors-2651046908

The above has not said that China CANNOT make chips BUT how powerful, reliable and popular are their chips.

What do you think China want from Taiwan? What asset is important enough for China to invade Taiwan?
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Dalil8: 6:57pm On May 31, 2022
Glory to Russia.

1 Like

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Appleyard(m): 7:58pm On May 31, 2022
okeysoninv:
I am not surprised , we are already on endtime. our prophet told us in 1930. the combination of China and Russia will bring an end to America. he who has ear let him ear.

William Marrion Braham cool
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Drenimarcus(m): 8:07pm On May 31, 2022
okeysoninv:
I am not surprised , we are already on endtime. our prophet told us in 1930. the combination of China and Russia will bring an end to America. he who has ear let him ear.

Kings in the East.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by okeysoninv: 8:18pm On May 31, 2022
Appleyard:

William Marrion Braham cool
yes ur right.

1 Like

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by okeysoninv: 8:20pm On May 31, 2022
Drenimarcus:

Kings in the East.
what I know is that combination of China and Russia will bring end of America..this is what he said in his seventh prophecies about America..and the end will come when a woman becomes a president or v. president. the whole world will slide into communism. and he said this when china was regarded as a powerful. when there was nothing like nuclear weapons. he saw the nuclear disaster all over USA. may God save his people..

2 Likes

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Drenimarcus(m): 8:33pm On May 31, 2022
okeysoninv:
what I know is that combination of China and Russia will bring end of America..this is what he said in his seventh prophecies about America..and the end will come when a woman becomes a president or v. president. the whole world will slide into communism. and he said this when china was regarded as a powerful. when there was nothing like nuclear weapons. he saw the nuclear disaster all over USA. may God save his people..

Any smart person can see that America is going the "Rome" way. I still don't think it will go nuclear tho.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by okeysoninv: 8:40pm On May 31, 2022
Drenimarcus:

Any smart person can see that America is going the "Rome" way. I still don't think it will go nuclear tho.
na lie, these things was said before 1937. before world even recognize Russia and war as a super power to come. it's not a guess. mind you nuclear weapons was never invented before then.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Drenimarcus(m): 8:45pm On May 31, 2022
okeysoninv:
na lie, these things was said before 1937. before world even recognize Russia and war as a super power to come. it's not a guess. mind you nuclear weapons was never invented before then.

Well, we will see how it goes. Though, America's power is deteriorating at an exponential rate.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by okeysoninv: 8:48pm On May 31, 2022
Drenimarcus:

Well, we will see how it goes. Though, America's power is deteriorating at an exponential rate.
the only powerful one is God. if you read through Daniel and John's revelation . china and Russia reign won't last 3yrs and half. God of Israel will put Israel through his son Jesus Christ on the reign.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 1:35am On Jun 01, 2022
TenQ:

China isn't backward technologically, that's not my point. I only quoted a source which states that as at 2021 Taiwan and not China is one of the three biggest IC chip manufacturers in the world capable of the most advanced IC. You can correct me if China manufactures any of the latest Android phone processors, iPhone processors, computer processors. The technology is truely mind boggling as of today.
BUT
In the past, Qualcomm had got some of its chipsets, such as the Snapdragon 888 (2020), the Snapdragon 865 (2019) and the Snapdragon 855 (2018), made by Taiwan's TSMC.

Meanwhile with respect to China
In 2020, China imported $350 billion worth of chips, accounting for one-sixth of total imports. China can mass-produce almost anything, but microchips, especially high-end ones, are still beyond its reach. To change that, China established a $22 billion investment fund in 2014 and added $29 billion to it in 2019, although little has come of it so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.protocol.com/amp/chinese-companies-make-own-semiconductors-2651046908

The above has not said that China CANNOT make chips BUT how powerful, reliable and popular are their chips.

What do you think China want from Taiwan? What asset is important enough for China to invade Taiwan?

I get your point.

However, my point is that: if China were to focus on making IC - it’d be as advanced as whatever Taiwan is making. The only reason they never really cared (until recently) is because it’s cheaper to buy.

BTW, Huawei has invested heavily in manufacturing advanced IC chips in Wuhan and I believe production started this year: https://asiatimes.com/2021/06/huaweis-hisilicon-factory-to-close-chipset-gap/

Also, China wanting Taiwan back in fold has zilch to do with IC. Taiwan is geopolitically and strategically important for China to project power with its navy in the Pacific. And that’s a threat to American hegemony in that region. That’s what it’s all about - not IC chip.

To understand what is going on: you need to look at the map, where Taiwan is located, Taiwan strait which is a major shipping route in that region and US military bases are located in the region. That would give you an inkling on what’s going on.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Tmberwolf1: 3:57am On Jun 01, 2022
AldrichAmes:

Lol, stop lying.

China’s debt profile is 45% of its GDP while US debt profile is 99.3% of its GDP. And with US GDP about to shrink by 5% by the end of this year - it might end up being over 100% of its GDP.

Owed to self means printing money that Americans would have to pay back. So, if the dollar cease to be the global tender - everything would return to the US thus making the dollar worthless due to excessive currency in circulation. China doesn’t have that problem.

China is a manufacturing hub and it’s always gonna be richer and would survive as long as raw materials keep flowing in. And that’s where its pivot in global south and Russia kicks in.
I don't know where you are getting your figures, but you really need to see this.
http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/CHINA-DEBT-HOUSEHOLD/010030H712Q/index.html
China's status as a manufacturing hub is all dependent on America and the west's good graces... That was evident enough when America and china had their trade war in Trump's administration. America suffered, ut china suffered worse.
In terms of funding for a military campaign, America remains unmatched globally, China can't even begin to compare
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 4:29am On Jun 01, 2022
AldrichAmes:

I get your point.

However, my point is that: if China were to focus on making IC - it’d be as advanced as whatever Taiwan is making. The only reason they never really cared (until recently) is because it’s cheaper to buy.

BTW, Huawei has invested heavily in manufacturing advanced IC chips in Wuhan and I believe production started this year: https://asiatimes.com/2021/06/huaweis-hisilicon-factory-to-close-chipset-gap/
It will still take years though. The technological curve is too steep for advanced Chipset.

AldrichAmes:

Also, China wanting Taiwan back in fold has zilch to do with IC. Taiwan is geopolitically and strategically important for China to project power with its navy in the Pacific. And that’s a threat to American hegemony in that region. That’s what it’s all about - not IC chip.

To understand what is going on: you need to look at the map, where Taiwan is located, Taiwan strait which is a major shipping route in that region and US military bases are located in the region. That would give you an inkling on what’s going on.
I agree with you perfectly on this one. Taiwan has allowed US navy too much proximity to China and mainland China will want to put an end to that by removing the loophole.

The war is inevitable due to this as China becomes richer and technologically advanced. The only problem is that they have no military experience AND their military equipment have not seen much action

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Dalil8: 6:26am On Jun 01, 2022
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Appleyard(m): 8:16am On Jun 01, 2022
Tmberwolf1:

Lol... Are you talking about debts? China has the worst debt to gdp ratio. 60% of tge 27 trillion dollars US debt is debt owed to itself... The debt of china is 300% of its GDP. China's GDP per capita is around $10000, America's GDP per capita is about $60000. And US's nominal GDP still surpasses China's by a long shot. US owes debts it can pay, China owes debts it can't pay.
This again, the US don't owe any debt to itself. Just listen to your self. Do some research.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 3:31pm On Jun 01, 2022
TenQ:

It will still take years though. The technological curve is too steep for advanced Chipset.

I agree with you perfectly on this one. Taiwan has allowed US navy too much proximity to China and mainland China will want to put an end to that by removing the loophole.

The war is inevitable due to this as China becomes richer and technologically advanced. The only problem is that they have no military experience AND their military equipment have not seen much action

Not really since it’s not like they’re trying to re-invent the wheels. The technology is already out there and there are open source platforms they can use to build their own model on.

Apple did the same with Intel 3 years ago when it decided to stop buying intel chips and start making its own based on British ARM open source platform. I was one of those who critiqued that and thought they’re giving up optimal trusted performance - for the unknown. However, the chip they created is actually better than the previous ones from Intel and as an avid Apple products user - I can testify that the new MacBooks with Apple chips are better than the older versions that has Intel chips.

With tech, once there’s a layout/platform - it’s mostly about how much you invest. That’s basically why China has been able to make such a huge technological leap within a very short period. And that’s because they have the capital to experiment on a lot of things.

Interesting, Huawei is starting off with 5G in Wuhan. And with billions of dollars invested - it’s going to be smooth sailing.

China is an old civilisation that has fought many wars throughout its history and a great deal of experience. So, they won’t have much problems militarily. They might lose a few battles at the beginning due to rustiness, a bit of tactical failure and logistics. However, once they lock in - they’ll get the job done. China fought the Korean War and they technically won it.

The same can be said about the US and NATO. None has fought a peer since WW2. Fighting cow herders is different from someone who has almost everything you have. There are mistakes you can make against cow herders that you’ll get away with but would prove very costly against a peer.

4 Likes

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 7:33pm On Jun 01, 2022
AldrichAmes:

Not really since it’s not like they’re trying to re-invent the wheels. The technology is already out there and there are open source platforms they can use to build their own model on.

Apple did the same with Intel 3 years ago when it decided to stop buying intel chips and start making its own based on British ARM open source platform. I was one of those who critiqued that and thought they’re giving up optimal trusted performance - for the unknown. However, the chip they created is actually better than the previous ones from Intel and as an avid Apple products user - I can testify that the new MacBooks with Apple chips are better than the older versions that has Intel chips.

With tech, once there’s a layout/platform - it’s mostly about how much you invest. That’s basically why China has been able to make such a huge technological leap within a very short period. And that’s because they have the capital to experiment on a lot of things.

Interesting, Huawei is starting off with 5G in Wuhan. And with billions of dollars invested - it’s going to be smooth sailing.

China is an old civilisation that has fought many wars throughout its history and a great deal of experience. So, they won’t have much problems militarily. They might lose a few battles at the beginning due to rustiness, a bit of tactical failure and logistics. However, once they lock in - they’ll get the job done. China fought the Korean War and they technically won it.

The same can be said about the US and NATO. None has fought a peer since WW2. Fighting cow herders is different from someone who has almost everything you have. There are mistakes you can make against cow herders that you’ll get away with but would prove very costly against a peer.
The one-child policy of China is a major Achilles tendon. Can a one-child take the kind of risk a man of many siblings will take: who will take care of the aging parents if he dies?
How many countries in the world have bought Chinese jet fighters or artilleries? China copies too much without knowing the fundamentals of why some technological tradeoffs were made.

All in all, I think Chinese experience is highly limited in warfare.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by Snitch24(m): 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2022
Tmberwolf1:

Shut the f*ck up... China's entire economy is built off US good graces... They'd still be the back water rice farmers had US not decided to open trade with them.... Heck last 3 years ago when the US and China had their trade war, na China see shege for America hand! America can easily pull out it's investments and move them to either India or Africa, but can China China Withstand such heavy losses in investors without shaking? F*CK NO!
You obviously knows nothing

1 Like

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by WriterNig: 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
°°°°°°
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 10:58pm On Jun 01, 2022
TenQ:

The one-child policy of China is a major Achilles tendon. Can a one-child take the kind of risk a man of many siblings will take: who will take care of the aging parents if he dies?
How many countries in the world have bought Chinese jet fighters or artilleries? China copies too much without knowing the fundamentals of why some technological tradeoffs were made.

All in all, I think Chinese experience is highly limited in warfare.

grin

In as much as one-child policy due to China’s huge population has no bearing on this discourse - the policy was removed in 2015. And it doesn’t negate the fact that China has a huge population that’s 3 times the size of the US. And the US white population has low fertility/birth rates (like the rest of Europe) while the rate of mortality, incarceration and drug abuse amongst its minority population is disproportionately high. Coupled the rise in homosexuality. So, the US isn’t better off in that regard.

Saudi Arabia, Serbia, UAE, Qatar, Iran, Pakistan, Cambodia, Indonesia and a host of African countries (including Nigeria which uses Chinese version of Russian MiG-21 jets and Chinese drones) and South American countries buy/use Chinese weapons. Heck, in the Yemen war where Saudi Arabia American Patriot missiles and American drones have been rendered useless by Houthis - Saudi Arabia Chinese weapons have been more effective.

Experience was also “limited” during the Korean War when China was technologically backward and very poor, yet it defeated the US (which was at its peak of military dominance) and allied forces.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 11:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
AldrichAmes:

grin

In as much as one-child policy due to China’s huge population has no bearing on this discourse - the policy was removed in 2015. And it doesn’t negate the fact that China has a huge population that’s 3 times the size of the US. And the US white population has low fertility/birth rates (like the rest of Europe) while the rate of mortality, incarceration and drug abuse amongst its minority population is disproportionately high. Coupled the rise in homosexuality. So, the US isn’t better off in that regard.

Saudi Arabia, Serbia, UAE, Qatar, Iran, Pakistan, Cambodia, Indonesia and a host of African countries (including Nigeria which uses Chinese version of Russian MiG-21 jets and Chinese drones) and South American countries buy/use Chinese weapons. Heck, in the Yemen war where Saudi Arabia American Patriot missiles and American drones have been rendered useless by Houthis - Saudi Arabia Chinese weapons have been more effective.

Experience was also “limited” during the Korean War when China was technologically backward and very poor, yet it defeated the US (which was at its peak of military dominance) and allied forces.
Time always win at the end of the day!

BTW, Chinese SU fighter jets still use the Russian jet engines!
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 1:21am On Jun 02, 2022
TenQ:

Time always win at the end of the day!

BTW, Chinese SU fighter jets still use the Russian jet engines!

This is laughable since most American ships and submarines use British engines. Rolls Royce just secured another 9-figure contract 2 years ago to build engines for US Navy.

No shame in that if you can buy from a country that produces top-notch quality. Russian jet engines are known for their reliability/durability. And Russians are currently the only country producing Mach-4 jet engines.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 7:26am On Jun 02, 2022
AldrichAmes:

This is laughable since most American ships and submarines use British engines. Rolls Royce just secured another 9-figure contract 2 years ago to build engines for US Navy.

No shame in that if you can buy from a country that produces top-notch quality. Russian jet engines are known for their reliability/durability. And Russians are currently the only country producing Mach-4 jet engines.
You don't get it. It's not that the Chinese have not tried copying the Russian Mig engine for their SU planes, it is about reliability.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by WriterNig: 7:43am On Jun 02, 2022
°°°°°
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by AldrichAmes: 5:29pm On Jun 02, 2022
TenQ:

You don't get it. It's not that the Chinese have not tried copying the Russian Mig engine for their SU planes, it is about reliability.

China doesn’t even use SU jets - MiG and SU are Russian companies.

And China jets using Russian engines isn’t different from US ships and submarines using British engines.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by TenQ: 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2022
AldrichAmes:

China doesn’t even use SU jets - MiG and SU are Russian companies.

And China jets using Russian engines isn’t different from US ships and submarines using British engines.
We'll see. It's just a matter of time that China will invade Taiwan. We can reserve our take till then.
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by WriterNig: 6:08am On Jun 03, 2022
°°°°°°
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by WriterNig: 8:48pm On Jun 03, 2022
°°°°°°
Re: Russia Captures 3 More Territories In Ukraine As Fierce Battle Rages In The East by RichProminent(m): 11:34pm On Jun 03, 2022
We will keep advancing until zelensky surrenders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

US Senator Arrested For Drunk Driving : Can This Happen In Nigeria? / One Ukrainian Soldier Take On Seven Russian Amored Tanks (photo) / The Average South African

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.