Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

A Brother Needs Your Advice. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Brother Needs Your Advice. (22568 Views)

This 35 Year-old Lady Needs Your Advice As She Plans To Get Married / Inexperienced Newly Married Man Needs Your Advice / Please My Younger Brother Needs Your Help... His Life And Health Is At Stake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Gkay1(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2022
Stay there and gather more so u can establish yourself in due season

2 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by chigoizie7(m): 5:39pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:
Dear Nairalanders, what do you think of this?
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.

So far, I have been able to save #315,000 but I have a little problem.

I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me.

What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far.

Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused.

What would you advise a brother?

Bro since you do not care about what people will think or say, since you do not have a girlfriend either, I advise you to stay there to at least save up to another two years of rent before moving. Save to buy a car that can server as Uber in your spare time.

That’s my 2 cents. People will always talk. If you move out now, you will still see people that will tell you that you are ungrateful that you should have waited for your sister to be able to buy few things.

3 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Pootle: 5:39pm On May 30, 2022
go rent a place and leave all to ur sis...at 29 you need to be alone
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Acidbath: 5:41pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola,this advice below is gold. Take it...that's your blood sister...no issues...so why rush out?

Gandollaar:
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you and your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by rickleye: 5:41pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.

I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me.

What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far.

Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused.

Who Cares what people say. I repeat who cares.
if I could turn back the hands of time , I would pay my parents rent till I was financially buoyant before I left home.
You are saving , she is saving. She is your blood, the kids are your cousins.
Just ask her if she is comfortable with you staying for 6 months or a year. Don't wait till it becomes an issue.

5 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by tonieguy(m): 5:43pm On May 30, 2022
Your present situation is a double win for you. Don't throw it away by the urge to be independent.

Your stay with your sister is also helping her and you manage your bills.
She is not fully recovered. I suggest you talk with her on if she wants you to still stay, or she wants her privacy. With no hard feelings.

If she wants you to stay. Then stay and save more ND plan your future better

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by codeKart(m): 5:44pm On May 30, 2022
Tbh, despite your savings you never properly balance yet.

Since una no dey fight, keep staying with her and splitting bills. If the space is too small, you guys can come together and rent a 2 bedroom. As she get 2 children, the extra space would be very appreciated. You too will have some privacy

3 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by mayorall(m): 5:45pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

You need to safe more and you should leave with only your mattress after you must kept upto 1million.

Also note that your bills will increase after you leave and you won't be able to safe so much anylonger.

3 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Treasure17(m): 5:48pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you and your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by tonididdy(m): 5:48pm On May 30, 2022
29yrs no GF ??shocked

Anyway like I always say, the reason you can save that much is because you have no responsibilities.

My advice: stay in your sis apt for 6 months then get a small apartment that costs less and start your life.
Now is the best time to have kids, do marriage as the money is coming in.

Warning: from my understanding, your job is a jackee job ( I mean kee-body job) if you continue @35 your sperm count maybe too low already frm working so strenuously at old age.

I repeat start your life now the ovation is high!
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Goldbw122(m): 5:49pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

My brother you are in the right path, nice one don't leave your sister apartment just stay with her and make sure that you save up to buy a land and start a house. And when things goes positive, you know no sacking or what ever then you can go to your new house and start a family as a man.. so that is how it is.. don't stress yourself, leaving the house this I a big opportunity for you to build yourself up,
just imagine, you rent your own apartment that means the bills and rent age will no longer be shared and thank God that you don't have a girlfriend no that is why you where able to come to nairaland to compliant, if you had a girlfriend, she would have told you to go and rent a house... Yeah I have seen many cases.. so just gather up and build a life for yourself, thank God you have that kind of sister... You know, when you have good something in life you won't know what God it is, until you loose it. embarassed

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Treasure17(m): 5:49pm On May 30, 2022
Nlanalyst:
Personally, I think the reason you are able to save #315k in the space of 3 and half months (judging by your dates) is because you have someone to share bills with. It's a good thing you do not have a girlfriend because it would have birthed a couple more complications with no insult intended to the female folks. More expenses and more urges to own a place. If I were in your shoes, I would hang around with the sister and save more. And when I have saved enough, the first thing I'm doing with the savings is starting a business not even getting an apartment. It's good to long for these basic essentialities but believe me you still have time to live and relive every moment.
I would be more interested in saving and setting up a business than yearning to own a space that would further deplete my savings and to-come earnings.
For now, keep saving.
Anything can happen on the job.
@OP if you have ears listen to what the church is saying.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by papagiddy(m): 5:50pm On May 30, 2022
At 29 , you are still confused?? Haahaa?
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Sirchiboy: 5:50pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

I will advice you to get your own house.
If there is still vacancy in your company please let me know .
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Kingnelson9: 5:51pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:

You get wisdom...

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Dawn91(m): 5:52pm On May 30, 2022
No he should impregnate his sister and claim lordship over her... angry
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Lucyomolola(f): 5:53pm On May 30, 2022
Cashio:

The first priority of any man trying to start life should not be to build his own house, but to have a steady and sure means of income.

one of the best advice ive seen so far.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Bkdson2121: 5:53pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

At your age and earnings you are still asking nairaland family of independency
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Proffessorr: 5:53pm On May 30, 2022
Nlanalyst:
Personally, I think the reason you are able to save #315k in the space of 3 and half months (judging by your dates) is because you have someone to share bills with. It's a good thing you do not have a girlfriend because it would have birthed a couple more complications with no insult intended to the female folks. More expenses and more urges to own a place. If I were in your shoes, I would hang around with the sister and save more. And when I have saved enough, the first thing I'm doing with the savings is starting a business not even getting an apartment. It's good to long for these basic essentialities but believe me you still have time to live and relive every moment.
I would be more interested in saving and setting up a business than yearning to own a space that would further deplete my savings and to-come earnings.
For now, keep saving.
Anything can happen on the job.

Very good advice!!
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Clinghton: 5:54pm On May 30, 2022
With such amount of money, look for cheap accommodation, invest in land estate etc.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Gandollaar(f): 5:54pm On May 30, 2022
Kingnelson9:

You get wisdom...
Alhamdullai!
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by SmartyPants(m): 5:54pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

You should get a place of your own eventually.

Wait it out for a while so that when you move you can still have some savings. As it is, make your decisions as though you have nothing in the bank.

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Parisian: 5:54pm On May 30, 2022
Stay with her till you get a place of your own or till you must've saved enough money.

You can give yourself a time frame maybe a year or so but make sure you keep up with your savings and not be deterred by what neighbors will say.

After all if you were homeless the neighbors wouldn't do anything.

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Bignuell(m): 5:54pm On May 30, 2022
If you know you don't need a girlfriend for the mean time, stay there. When the cash at hand is mature look for something profitable to do with it because the moment you have a girlfriend, the first billing she go give you na ultimatum, stay there and lose me or rent a place a have me

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by rymzo228: 5:55pm On May 30, 2022
Available

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Cutehector(m): 5:58pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

get your apartment
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Kingnelson9: 5:58pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
Alhamdullai!
Ah ! Wetin this one mean nah?
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Yankee101: 5:58pm On May 30, 2022
Don’t fix what is not broken
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Born2Breed(f): 5:59pm On May 30, 2022
Save more and move later.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Calibrator: 6:06pm On May 30, 2022
Some people don't know life.... A 29 year old man staying with his sister will never progress in life as much as he wants because experience builds a man and he will likely not get such experiences living under his sister (forget about the 300k saved up).

Later you will wonder why some married men can't keep their family affairs in order, how can they gain the experience to do so when they have been sheltered all their lives.

Go and find a personal apartment of your own and you will be grateful for taking the decision. You will develop faster mentally and financially on your own.

2 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Qatar2022: 6:07pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:

Stay and save more money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quality Europe And Asia Men Clothing And Accessories From 1500 / Her Father Is Occult. Should He Still Go Ahead? / I Find It Difficult To Sleep Alone In A Room Or In A House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.