Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,482 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

A Brother Needs Your Advice. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Brother Needs Your Advice. (22534 Views)

This 35 Year-old Lady Needs Your Advice As She Plans To Get Married / My Baby Brother Needs Help / Please My Younger Brother Needs Your Help... His Life And Health Is At Stake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Olonitola: 6:46am On May 30, 2022
Dear Nairalanders, what do you think of this?
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.

So far, I have been able to save #315,000 but I have a little problem.

I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me.

What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far.

Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused.

What would you advise a brother?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by FERNANDEZISBACK: 6:48am On May 30, 2022
Yeah as a grown-up you should have a space of your own since you are up to the task..I can't imagine someone without his own personal space..yeah you should.. privacy comes in..

Tho you said there ain't no problems with bills and privacy but you still need to get an apartment of your own except you are too attached to her/she can't be by herself..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Gandollaar(f): 7:11am On May 30, 2022
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you and your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.

305 Likes 13 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by ojun50(m): 7:16am On May 30, 2022
Don't rush out, gather more money and get more properties befor getting your apartment.

And look for a good lady to start building relationship with

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Nlanalyst: 7:18am On May 30, 2022
Personally, I think the reason you are able to save #315k in the space of 3 and half months (judging by your dates) is because you have someone to share bills with. It's a good thing you do not have a girlfriend because it would have birthed a couple more complications with no insult intended to the female folks. More expenses and more urges to own a place. If I were in your shoes, I would hang around with the sister and save more. And when I have saved enough, the first thing I'm doing with the savings is starting a business not even getting an apartment. It's good to long for these basic essentialities but believe me you still have time to live and relive every moment.
I would be more interested in saving and setting up a business than yearning to own a space that would further deplete my savings and to-come earnings.
For now, keep saving.
Anything can happen on the job.

180 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Luckylife(m): 7:20am On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you are your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.
Best advice giving for free !

61 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Ghostburster: 7:30am On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:
Dear Nairalanders, what do you think of this?
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.
So far, I have been able to save #315,000 but I have a little problem.
I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me. What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far. Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused. What would you advise a brother?

Mynd44
Lalasticlala.
315k savings from a job you got in February?
Where una dey see this kind job?

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by doggedfighter(f): 7:32am On May 30, 2022
You can save as much as you did because of shared bills.

Since there are no problems or complaints, I'd advise you stay back Nd continue to build your finances.

Ignore busybody neighbours !

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Ofunaofu: 8:05am On May 30, 2022
The reason you are able to save that amount of money is because you and your sister share bills,

Stay there and continue to save and invests in properties/land or start a business that you can monitor while you continue with your work then move out when you want to settle down.

Ignore those your neighbours cos you have a target

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Xixtie(f): 9:16am On May 30, 2022
#Following.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 30, 2022
OP stay where you are and don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure....

That place you are staying allows you to save cash, rather than pressure yourself into poverty on account of neighbors gossip, focus on saving more money and start your building as soon as possible....

You saved over 300k in about 3month, that's like 100k per month worth of savings, if you continue like that for 2years, I'm sure you'll find a nice plot to buy having saved over 2.5million, so stay there Biko....

29years is too young for you to allow yourself enter into unnecessary poverty undecided....

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Cashio(m): 2:58pm On May 30, 2022
Op, please ignore any suggestions about saving to build a house for now. That will tie your money down and you may not complete the building.
Save enough to start up a side business which will act as security even if you lose your job tomorrow. From that business, you can start saving up to buy a piece of land and build as your business progresses.
All in all, I don't think you should still be with your sister after this year. You still need a space of your own, even if it is a self con.

The first priority of any man trying to start life should not be to build his own house, but to have a steady and sure means of income.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by froshroy(m): 5:33pm On May 30, 2022
e
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by jericco1(m): 5:33pm On May 30, 2022
Interesting
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Opinedecandid(m): 5:33pm On May 30, 2022
Tes
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by tillaman(m): 5:34pm On May 30, 2022
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by chakula: 5:34pm On May 30, 2022
Do the needful Bros.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by oluwasegun007(m): 5:34pm On May 30, 2022
If he has the money to get and maintain an apartment in this economy, go ahead.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by emmabest2000(m): 5:35pm On May 30, 2022
Your head don dey grow just because you have 300k in your akant

If you move out right now , you will surely regret it later

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Mykelslim: 5:35pm On May 30, 2022
F
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Kenmatt(m): 5:35pm On May 30, 2022
Talk with her, if it's okay by her I think it's a good one you do.

But while leaving, don't go with most of these things you said are yours, leave some with her, you can get new once, little by little you will have it all.

So that she can at least have few she can benefit from you as you have also benefited from her and not just packing everything thereby leaving the House empty

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by blackboy2star(m): 5:35pm On May 30, 2022
No need rushing out if no issue, you can still save up more money... Your daily activities is to dash out and in early and late.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by seandurse(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2022
Yes
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 30, 2022
Stay and keep saving. You don't need a gf now, you're not balanced.

2 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by SommyGudman(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2022
Marry your sister ASAP

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by GloriousGbola: 5:38pm On May 30, 2022
From what you wrote, your sister leg never gidigba. She needs your support via your presence for now.

22 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moving On With Life After Divorce. How Do You Cope? / What Exactly Is A Man's Duty In The Home Nowadays / Marriage Is Now Useless, No Discipline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.