Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,128 members, 7,863,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:04 AM

Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi (659 Views)

Elections Must Be Cancelled In Rivers State, Says Amaechi / Tere Ikuru's Defection Shocked Me But He Is Free To Go, Says Amaechi / I Am Not Funding APC, Says Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by Chyz2: 4:28am On Jul 19, 2011
[size=15pt]Some ministries unnecessary, says Amaechi[/size]

By Kamarudeen Ogundele, Abuja 3 hours 14 minutes ago

Rivers State Governor Chibuike Amaechi has criticised the Federal Government for sustaining some ministries, which play little or no role in the administration of the country.

Amaechi spoke at the opening of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) first Criminal Justice Reform Conference in Abuja.

He said a few of the present ministries are irrelevant and ought to be departments in the Presidency.

The governor criticised the constitution, which mandates governors to send names of nominees to the National Judicial Commission (NJC) for appointment as Chief Judge or High Court Judges of a state.

He also wondered why a state will employ a person and the Federal Government tells it what to pay as salary.

“Why do I have to send a judge to the NJC before he becomes the Chief Judge of Rivers State? Why not the State House of Assembly or State Judicial Service Commission? Why do I have to send a judge to the NJC for approval to become a judge of the High Court of Rivers State? Why do I have to employ workers and federal government tells me how much I have to pay them. Is that fair?

“Why do we have Federal Ministry of Agriculture when Federal Government has no land? Why not department of agriculture in the office of the President? Why do we have the Ministry of Housing when Federal Government is not building houses; Why not a department in the office of the president?  Why do you have to come to Rivers State to take my oil? Why not task me to take the oil and pay the tax to Federal Government and use that for my sister states that don’t have the resources?

“Why will Rivers State generate power and I cannot serve my people because there is a provision in the law that says I cannot distribute the power except the Federal Government….so I become part of the process of ineffective and inefficient power structure.

“It is when the judiciary interprets law in a way that suits and benefits our people that we can get a proper federalism.

“But if we allow it to remain in the hands of the Executive and the legislature we will find it difficult.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/12877-some-ministries-unnecessary-says-amaechi.html
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by Chyz2: 4:35am On Jul 19, 2011
The guy is on point!
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by PeeDaVinci: 8:21am On Jul 19, 2011
rotimi is spot on, he just fell short of saying one thing  - "nigeria needs true federalism"
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by sirjec(m): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2011
Nigeria is a failed state. Britain should come and dissolve this unholy matrimony. It is legal to divorce.
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by tpn: 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2011
Every body is saying it now .both left and center Nigeria needs true federalism and social justice yet the powers that be and the president have failed to hear.A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by chidozman(m): 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2011
It would be a waste of time to expect GEJ to redeem the nations current economic quagmire . GEJ is not prepared and HE lacks the political will to give Nigerians the much needed transformation. I shake my head each time i think about our mediocre goverment. It would be honourable to adduce ill health as the major reason for late Yar'adua's lackluster performance but only God would be able to excuse Gej's outing at the expiration of his tenure.
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by Eziachi: 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2011
It took him almost 5 years to realise this? What for instance does ministry of Women affair does? Science and Technology along with education, what is that all about? Chieftaincy affairs? Give me a break!!
Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by Mobinga: 6:06pm On Jul 19, 2011
Amaechi > Fashola.
Amaechi is better than Fashola.

Re: Some Ministries Unnecessary, Says Amaechi by aljharem3: 6:07pm On Jul 19, 2011
amaechi stop on

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Expands Economic Management Team / A Caution On China / How Mikel’s Father Was Abducted -police Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.