Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

NLC Calls Off Strike Action? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Calls Off Strike Action? (8540 Views)

NLC Calls Proposed N85 Per Litre 'propaganda', Plans Mass Action - Dailypost / Oil Marketers, Nupeng, Pengassan Call Off Strike / NLC Calls Off Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by atasteve: 7:55am On Jul 20, 2011
My wife woke me up this morning to inform me, see me I don dey happy say no work dey today. angry

I am not lazy o, I planned using the strike days to rest.

I am already in the office again sha!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 7:56am On Jul 20, 2011
nateevs:

This is disgraceful coming from you. This shows that whatever it is the President has agreed to was possible inthe very first place. Why has it taken the eve of an economic stand-still to reach the pact? If that was not disgraceful enough, you, by some incomprehensible way, reach the conclusion that this is "generosity" . . .

A typical PR stunt instigated by selfish spin-doctors who line up their pockets at the expense of the masses. Well orchestrated to trick bigots into the continual praise of the President's name and you of all fall for it?

Disgraceful!

Even in the UK- people threaten to go on strike and after many negotiations, people call of the strike- and yes, i think you can refer to it as generosity on the part of the management - example British Airways recently. Transport for London, Royal Mail and all the rest- after downing their pickets, they atil negotiate - and the word is negotiate - and in negotiations, if you understand, someone has to be "generous".

Dont hoodwink us about anything being disgraceful, it happens everywhere.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by pak: 8:01am On Jul 20, 2011
Is it just me ?
or
do i need more education on this issue.

I think the importance of increasing the minimum wage has been over-bloated by our labor leaders to serve their own purposes/ego.

I TOTALLY AGREE THAT THE INCOME OF MOST NIGERIAN WORKERS IS JUST TOO LOW.

But is the solution just to give everybody(worker) more money, I seriously do not think so.

I am not an Economist but my basic knowledge of economics tells me that
Increasing salaries ACROSS BOARD do not improve the standard of living of the populace, why ?

because at the end of the day we'll still buy from the same markets, rent from the same set of available accommodation and send our kids to the same pool of schools and you know what happens next, the forces of demand and supply do their trick.

If a section of the workforce e.g. the police have their salaries increased,(I believe this is important, considering the sensitive nature of their work, that's why many of them are damned corrupt, and while we are at it, we can also increase the minimum qual. and training for the force - my thoughts)
then we can talk of marked improvemnts in standard of living of that group.

I remember back in sec. sch when many used to claim that Nigeria is rich enough to improving the living standards of the citizen by distributing N1m to each and every Nigerian
I felt that line of thinking sounded silly, I still think so now.
The sad part is that even educated people still believe in such bunkum.

General increases in salary only increases the money in circulation and even some economist will argue that it has adverse effects on employment.
I think the emphasis should be on IMPROVED INFRASTRUCTURE, POWER , ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE, GOOD QUALITY ACCOMMODATION/EDUCATION AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, SECURITY etc. .

Increasing money in circulation will only benefit those who control the economy - THE RICH (yeah, you heard me right). The resources will still flow back to them.

They control the markets and the money ends up in the market, right ? ? ?

I remember way back then, My mum earned less than N400 per month, but guess what, she paid the school fees of like four kids, paid for accommodation (3 bedroom flat in lagos) and other living expenses with that salary. Now a N400 can only fetch you a plate of garri (not even enough for pounded yam).

I think (from my little knowledge of economy that the best situation will be to have little money in circulation but with a very high purchasing power. In that way, the impact of poverty will be felt less, cos little will achieve much).

I will so much appreciate contribution from seasoned/knowledgeable folks on economics. I am always willing to bow to superior knowledge.
but pls dont respond to this post with the line that senators are earning 100000000000000000000naira/second. Cos simply, if the earnings of the political class is too high, then simple solution is to have it decreased (seems more logical to me , or am I missing something here).
but to use that as a justification to increase the minimum wage of the remaining 100 million Nigerians is simply anarchy, Truth is at the end of the day, the percentage increases in their own paypack will always outstrip yours and the vicious cycle continues.

If the minimum wage was about ensuring parity between civil servants and their private counterpart (I have my opinions on this too but that's a topic for another day), then maybe the whole brouhaha might have some points.
but I dont think that's the goal anyway.

So I'll like to hear from you guys, I mean logical takes not just the sentiments or shouts of 'we are hungry, we are hungry'. I think we need a more intellectual approach.

PS: and I also think the agitation for the uniform implementation of the minimum wage across states is unfounded. I mean some days back i decided to get some condiments to fry eggs (dont mind me, I just love fried eggs)
and in the town where I am presently, N30 worth of tomatoes,pepper . . .  was TOO MUCH, had to tell the seller to reduce it, that I didnt need that much.
That same set of goods will cost you about N150 in abuja (ain't kidding), so the issue is if the market realities in each and every locality is different, how do you now use the same yardstick to determine how organisations (both Govt and private) pay their staff. In the US, each state determines its own minimum wage so why not Nigeria, why not let each develop at its own pace.
Why should Katsina (for example) forced to keep up with Lagos or Ekiti forced to have the same policies as Adamawa. ? ? ?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by chidex101(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2011
Promise and fail is not good ooh! Let their August be August. Heeeeh, FG
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by ufofex(m): 8:22am On Jul 20, 2011
@ pak

Did you say you are not an economist? You just qualified as one. Great line of thought smiley
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 8:23am On Jul 20, 2011
and why are they asking for arrears?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Kekekenny(m): 8:25am On Jul 20, 2011
thank god the srike has been call off.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Ultrame(m): 8:27am On Jul 20, 2011
Damn! NLC Sold out again! , I really needed that rest.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by mcelisus: 8:31am On Jul 20, 2011
Pls some one let me know if we in the private sector are included.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by werepeLeri: 8:32am On Jul 20, 2011
mcelisus:

If you own your own company- will you think your own staff will join the strike? Are they also asking for 18k minimum wage?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by MikkyT1(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2011
Nice one NLC, but why at the dyeing minuite do they have to call it off, so many people would be resuming late for work today, anyway its all good.

kudos NLC cos salary go sure like fufu, lol grin grin
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 20, 2011
@pak
You"ve made a lot of sense.

Increasing the salary of civil servants would not lead to inflation becasuse civil servants are just a fraction of the workforce of the nation.

Increasing the income of both government and private workers will be what would lead to inflation, since then, they would be too much money in circulation, which then affects the demand and supply curve.

My opinion though.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by mcelisus: 8:40am On Jul 20, 2011
i heard the private sector is included. just wants to confirm if its true
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Odunharry(m): 8:44am On Jul 20, 2011
hassymo5:

lol
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by blank(f): 8:48am On Jul 20, 2011
Why in the middle of the night? I woke up by 4 to check the news and was so sad that i could not get back to sleep. Funnily enough, the roads were free except VI. They should at least have given us one day of strike.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by blank(f): 8:49am On Jul 20, 2011
mcelisus:

Oga, they have called off the strike so go to work.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Reference(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2011
pak:

Is it just me ?
or
do i need more education on this issue.

I think the importance of increasing the minimum wage has been over-bloated by our labor leaders to serve their own purposes/ego.

I TOTALLY AGREE THAT THE INCOME OF MOST NIGERIAN WORKERS IS JUST TOO LOW.

But is the solution just to give everybody(worker) more money, I seriously do not think so.

I am not an Economist but my basic knowledge of economics tells me that
Increasing salaries ACROSS BOARD do not improve the standard of living of the populace, why ?

because at the end of the day we'll still buy from the same markets, rent from the same set of available accommodation and send our kids to the same pool of schools and you know what happens next, the forces of demand and supply do their trick.

If a section of the workforce e.g. the police have their salaries increased,(I believe this is important, considering the sensitive nature of their work, that's why many of them are damned corrupt, and while we are at it, we can also increase the minimum qual. and training for the force - my thoughts)
then we can talk of marked improvemnts in standard of living of that group.

I remember back in sec. sch when many used to claim that Nigeria is rich enough to improving the living standards of the citizen by distributing N1m to each and every Nigerian
I felt that line of thinking sounded silly, I still think so now.
The sad part is that even educated people still believe in such bunkum.

General increases in salary only increases the money in circulation and even some economist will argue that it has adverse effects on employment.
I think the emphasis should be on IMPROVED INFRASTRUCTURE, POWER , ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE, GOOD QUALITY ACCOMMODATION/EDUCATION AT AFFORDABLE PRICES, SECURITY etc. .

Increasing money in circulation will only benefit those who control the economy - THE RICH (yeah, you heard me right). The resources will still flow back to them.

They control the markets and the money ends up in the market, right ? ? ?

I remember way back then, My mum earned less than N400 per month, but guess what, she paid the school fees of like four kids, paid for accommodation (3 bedroom flat in lagos) and other living expenses with that salary. Now a N400 can only fetch you a plate of garri (not even enough for pounded yam).

I think (from my little knowledge of economy that the best situation will be to have little money in circulation but with a very high purchasing power. In that way, the impact of poverty will be felt less, cos little will achieve much).

I will so much appreciate contribution from seasoned/knowledgeable folks on economics. I am always willing to bow to superior knowledge.
but pls dont respond to this post with the line that senators are earning 100000000000000000000naira/second. Cos simply, if the earnings of the political class is too high, then simple solution is to have it decreased (seems more logical to me , or am I missing something here).
but to use that as a justification to increase the minimum wage of the remaining 100 million Nigerians is simply anarchy, Truth is at the end of the day, the percentage increases in their own paypack will always outstrip yours and the vicious cycle continues.

If the minimum wage was about ensuring parity between civil servants and their private counterpart (I have my opinions on this too but that's a topic for another day), then maybe the whole brouhaha might have some points.
but I dont think that's the goal anyway.

So I'll like to hear from you guys, I mean logical takes not just the sentiments or shouts of 'we are hungry, we are hungry'. I think we need a more intellectual approach.

PS: and I also think the agitation for the uniform implementation of the minimum wage across states is unfounded. I mean some days back i decided to get some condiments to fry eggs (dont mind me, I just love fried eggs)
and in the town where I am presently, N30 worth of tomatoes,pepper . . .  was TOO MUCH, had to tell the seller to reduce it, that I didnt need that much.
That same set of goods will cost you about N150 in abuja (ain't kidding), so the issue is if the market realities in each and every locality is different, how do you now use the same yardstick to determine how organisations (both Govt and private) pay their staff. In the US, each state determines its own minimum wage so why not Nigeria, why not let each develop at its own pace.
Why should Katsina (for example) forced to keep up with Lagos or Ekiti forced to have the same policies as Adamawa. ? ? ?

Agree with most of this except this (bolded). And this depends on from what perspective you view it. Most Nigerians unfortunately consider what they afford as a basis for the bottom-line. But this is wrong because you should rather consider what you produce. If you don't you create an imbalance which is called inflation.

Consider this scenario. A farmer has a piece of land and earns 1,000 naira a month cultivating cassava. He can do three things to raise his disposable cash - cultivate more land, raise his prices or borrow. Generally these options are mutually exclusive, i.e. it is very unlikely if you get into one, you'd like to take the other option. Nigeria has found itself in a position where because it has been perpetually locked in option 3, it has not been able to take options 1 properly, and is very dependent on others for 2.

If you want to find out the true state of economics in Nigeria, the private sector is a more realistic barometer. When the going is good they expand, when it is rough they contract. Does this happen with the public sector, no. Government and its wage bill has spiraled well out of control while real industries, real companies and the private sector workers have largely been thrown into the employment claptrap.

That is why today we have reached a situation where most states cannot pay this new wage without icing over capital development. However I don't really pity government, it employed these fellows in the first place. As we speak there are interviews being conducted left, right and centre into various institutions - the military, police services, NNPC, etc. To me this is just piling up problems for the future. They are not needed. The test of employment, promotions and wage increases should be productivity. Anything else is futile. Now it is not as if everything in government works - there is no electricity, security, bad roads, no steel from Ajaokuta (in those days yet salaries were paid). What are you increasing salaries for.

This only creates inflation and transfers incredible stress to the private sector and worst of all imbibes a mindset that promotions are a time based thing only and wage increases relate to cost of living. I have friends in the private sector who have been on fractional salaries for ages now for not meeting targets - a consideration for increases non existent, but that is the reality. Some companies have limits. When the wage bill exceeds a certain percentage of income they start sacking immediately. That is the reality. Like I said yesterday I would be surprised if the savoury effects of this increase are felt beyond October.

Those of us who try to do our bit are poised to increase prices too because private sector workers are Nigerians too and if we struggle to push more stuff to the markets (because of high operating costs) then prices have to go up. We say it again 'when are we going to strike to have our infrastructure fixed, when.'
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by OmichaelO: 9:04am On Jul 20, 2011
blank:

Oga, they have called off the strike so go to work.
grin grin
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Reference(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2011
BlueDiva:

@pak

Increasing the salary of civil servants would not lead to inflation because civil servants are just a fraction of the workforce of the nation.

Increasing the income of both government and private workers will be what would lead to inflation, since then, they would be too much money in circulation, which then affects the demand and supply curve.

My opinion though.

I think they are a bit more than a small fraction if you consider the formal private sector. The private sector is large but not that large and certainly not large enough to avoid the influences of public sector changes. There are many parastatals that exert huge pressure on private sector wages - the teaching profession, the medical profession, and others where there is some sort of competition. But overall it is not the number that matters but the differentials and our attitude towards money. Believe me with the exception of fuel and telecoms most of the basic items of real consumption are controlled by those who donot have a grasp of the kind of economic knowledge you will need to stave off inflation. Take a look at your typical monthly bill - food, transport, accommodation take away up to 80% of the average disposable income. They are controlled largely by (sorry to say so) the uneducated who only know that government is in charge, government is causing them hardship and government having increased salaries must pay.

Unfortunately government has not done anything favorably to appease these groups. Cost of construction remains high due to poor infrastructure, not refineries to mitigate international oil price shocks and inadequate facilities and agro inputs for farmers so there's no incentive whatsoever to keep the prices of these basic services in check.

We have long heard the sound bite ' No be the same market we dey go'. Unfortunately its very true.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Tolulop001(f): 9:17am On Jul 20, 2011
Reference:

Agree with most of this except this (bolded). And this depends on from what perspective you view it. Most Nigerians unfortunately consider what they afford as a basis for the bottom-line. But this is wrong because you should rather consider what you produce. If you don't you create an imbalance which is called inflation.

Consider this scenario. A farmer has a piece of land and earns 1,000 naira a month cultivating cassava. He can do three things to raise his disposable cash - cultivate more land, raise his prices or borrow. Generally these options are mutually exclusive, i.e. it is very unlikely if you get into one, you'd like to take the other option. Nigeria has found itself in a position where because it has been perpetually locked in option 3, it has not been able to take options 1 properly, and is very dependent on others for 2.

If you want to find out the true state of economics in Nigeria, the private sector is a more realistic barometer. When the going is good they expand, when it is rough they contract. Does this happen with the public sector, no. Government and its wage bill has spiraled well out of control while real industries, real companies and the private sector workers have largely been thrown into the employment claptrap.

That is why today we have reached a situation where most states cannot pay this new wage without icing over capital development. However I don't really pity government, it employed these fellows in the first place. As we speak there are interviews being conducted left, right and centre into various institutions - the military, police services, NNPC, etc. To me this is just piling up problems for the future. They are not needed. The test of employment, promotions and wage increases should be productivity. Anything else is futile. Now it is not as if everything in government works - there is no electricity, security, bad roads, no steel from Ajaokuta (in those days yet salaries were paid). What are you increasing salaries for.

This only creates inflation and transfers incredible stress to the private sector and worst of all imbibes a mindset that promotions are a time based thing only and wage increases relate to cost of living. I have friends in the private sector who have been on fractional salaries for ages now for not meeting targets - a consideration for increases non existent, but that is the reality. Some companies have limits. When the wage bill exceeds a certain percentage of income they start sacking immediately. That is the reality. Like I said yesterday I would be surprised if the savoury effects of this increase are felt beyond October.

Those of us who try to do our bit are poised to increase prices too because private sector workers are Nigerians too and if we struggle to push more stuff to the markets (because of high operating costs) then prices have to go up. We say it again 'when are we going to strike to have our infrastructure fixed, when.'

i think Im going to bookmark your page . . . you always make sense!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by nateevs(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2011
werepeLeri:

Even in the UK- people threaten to go on strike and after many negotiations, people call of the strike- and yes, i think you can refer to it as generosity on the part of the management - example British Airways recently. Transport for London, Royal Mail and all the rest- after downing their pickets, they atil negotiate - and the word is negotiate - and in negotiations, if you understand, someone has to be "generous".

Dont hoodwink us about anything being disgraceful, it happens everywhere.

What do you mean "generosity"? With respect to the office of the President, the NLC strike is bringing the economy to it's knees. Depending on how seriously you see it, it is like putting a gun to the President's head. That's duress man and has nothing to do with generosity.

Conservative campaigning for 13 years about a bloated government and careless welfare spending of Labour. They get to power, and begin to implement massive cut backs. NHS threaten with strikes to bring everything to a stand still, Conservatives back down a little. Some sort of agreement is reached and you call that "generosity"?

Do you even understand what you are saying?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by alfredo4u(m): 9:26am On Jul 20, 2011
Na wah for Nija ohhhh! I have made arrangement on how to spend the strike.
NLC why did u pple agree. Hope FGN will not disappoint us along the line.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by pak: 9:26am On Jul 20, 2011
ufofex:

@ pak

Did you say you are not an economist? You just qualified as one. Great line of thought smiley

Thanks man.
Hope you can give me a certification to back the qualification you just bestowed on me. It might be of help to my cause to secure a wage increase from my employers  smiley

BlueDiva:

@pak

Increasing the salary of civil servants would not lead to inflation becasuse civil servants are just a fraction of the workforce of the nation.

My opinion though.

As I said, I think I'll keep my opinions on trying to maintain parity between govt and private workforce pay for now .

If you look at the model in India where Govt Jobs are the most sought after, then you will realise that we need a holistic approach to the issue, not just random wage increases. and I think reference's posts also clarifies some issues.

By the way, I think civil service Jobs are not 'just a fraction' of the workforce but a major percentage. Infact, apart from a state like Lagos and few others where you have high level of industrialization. Civil service makes up to about 80% of the white collar workforce. Just try going to Plateau, Adamawa, Katsina and even states like Ondo e.t.c. I do not have empirical data but am quite sure.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by kyensco87(m): 9:31am On Jul 20, 2011
did the government have to wait till the very last minute before they comply?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by pak: 9:42am On Jul 20, 2011
Reference:

God bless 'reference' - insert real name here.

You've made some great points there.

I just believe there is so much sycophancy both within and outside government amongst the decision makers in this country.

However, i still do think that the average nigerian worker earns too low. When your take home at the end of the month can not cover your basic needs then we have a situation in our hands.

This chart from the UN shows that almost 80% of nigeria still live below poverty line less than N200($1.25)/day.

By the way, are you an economist or pol. Scientist and do you work in abuja ?

Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by oludashmi(f): 9:43am On Jul 20, 2011
kyensco87:

did the government have to wait till the very last minute before they comply?

Even if they do, must NLC always call off strikes in the midnights.
If it were the days of Oshiomole, he would have granted today and call it off by afternoon. That will make the governments take the right decisions at the right time subsequently.

Anyway, I am disappointed cos I didnt prepare for it knowing that they will call it off in the midnight as usual and I stated it here yesterday . .https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-716278.0.html
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by 3kay945(m): 9:45am On Jul 20, 2011
Am still on my bed rolling., i must finish what i started atleast for 2day. Abi whch kind country be this.!
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Ayoobscom(m): 10:06am On Jul 20, 2011
I'm rather dissapointed for not having this day to rest at home aftyer being overtasked at work.

I'm here still dozzing on my desk, siooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by Kx: 10:12am On Jul 20, 2011
Its a shame that Labour strike has always been for increase in salary.

Even if they pay them N50,000 minimum wage, will that solve the problem?
why not clamor for infrastructures and other things that will add value to whatever wage they are paid
than asking for a raise that has no value all the time?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by docjuli(m): 10:16am On Jul 20, 2011
Nigeria: Why are critical decisions made @ midnight in this country?
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by hardbody: 10:26am On Jul 20, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-716278.0.html

My position yesterday. you do not need to be a rocket scientist to decipher the trend. Indeed, i woke up same time, got ready and left for the office oblivious of any actual pronouncement. It has a pattern and the leopard changeth not its skin. We wount have a strike for a long time to come, so guys, live with it.
Re: NLC Calls Off Strike Action? by mimikendel: 10:28am On Jul 20, 2011
well,i think it might be a trap and the union leaders have fallen for it.
its all gona be in ciricles round and round and arriving at the same thing(non-payment).The FG isnt willingly
to comply yet so they just wana postpone a little to buy more time.
really,all i can say right now is '' smileyacuna matata''.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Text Of President Buhari's Speech At The D-8 Summit In Instanbul, Turkey (Video) / INEC Replies Obasanjo: The Commission Not Under Pressure To Do What Is Wrong / Imo PDP Crisis Worsens As 7 State Working Committee Members Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.