Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:42 AM

Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef (3526 Views)

Fear Of Militants’ Resurgence In Niger Delta - Sun Newspaper / El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / Why Ebola Virus Resurgence In Nigeria May Likely Occur Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by ektbear: 12:34am On Jul 20, 2011
(AFP) – 5 hours ago
KANO, Nigeria — Northern Nigeria has seen signs of a resurgence of polio cases, threatening to erase gains that had led to the near eradication of the disease in the country, UNICEF officials said Tuesday.
"In recent times, we have made some commendable strides in our commitment to kick polio out of Nigeria, ," said deputy head of the UN children's fund for Nigeria, Jacques Boyer.
"However, there are challenges in sustaining the progress made in polio eradication as Nigeria is currently experiencing new polio outbreaks."
Polio cases in Nigeria dropped to 21 in 2010 from a staggering 338 cases in 2009.
But "as at this month, 20 cases of wild polio virus were reported in six states" in the north, Boyer told a gathering of traditional and religious leaders in the northern city of Kano.
"It is clear from the figures that we are beginning to lose some of the grounds covered in our polio eradication efforts."
The World Health Organisation has pledged to stop polio transmission by the end of the year and to stamp out the crippling virus worldwide by 2012.
"We have come too far in our fight against polio to contemplate a relapse. Complacency is probably the biggest danger that might jeopardise success in eradicating polio," Boyer told the community leaders.
The change has been blamed on a decrease in vaccinations for the highly contagious virus, which has been a problem in the past in Nigeria.
Between 2003 and 2004, the Nigerian state of Kano suspended polio immunisation for 13 months following allegations by some Muslim clerics that the virus was laced with substances that could render girls infertile.
They alleged it was part of a US-led Western plot to depopulate Africa, and the resistance to vaccines made Kano the epicentre of the transmission of the crippling wild polio virus.
Such conspiracy theories prompted immunisation and sensitisation campaigns by health officials and international donors in collaboration with local political leaders, traditional chiefs and clerics.
As a result, Kano recorded only one polio case in 2010, with five recorded so far this year, according to Boyer.
Danjuma Al-Mustapha, UNICEF monitoring and evaluation officer, said the apparent current drop off in vaccinations appeared to be due more to a lack of public health facilities than conspiracy theories.
He said parents are also frustrated by government's insistence they immunise their children against polio while drugs for more rampant diseases like malaria and cholera are lacking in government-run hospitals.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hfj1qrZgFsIITHRIfrVIXJzqQdBw?docId=CNG.832a4bd5d343e4861527751b5e0d9c50.491
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by ektbear: 12:35am On Jul 20, 2011
I guess it is probably unrealistic to ever expect polio to be eradicated?

The world was so close. . .
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 12:40am On Jul 20, 2011
the last polio this people said they would give us

was a poison that killed northern children then u except polio to be redicated. not once not twice

until we develop our own fomular in ABU we should not collect it
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:44am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

the last polio this people said they would give us

was a poison that killed northern children then u except polio to be redicated. not once not twice

until we develop our own fomular in ABU we should not collect it
And when is this going to happen?? may be not in our life time. This is not my wish,
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by ektbear: 12:46am On Jul 20, 2011
Not trying to bash the north, but it would really nice if they held their end of the bargain in this so that humanity can finally defeat this disease. To some extent, they are holding the entire planet back. . . progress of nearly 7 billion humans being slowed
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 1:00am On Jul 20, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

And when is this going to happen?? may be not in our life time. This is not my wish,

Then what do we do?

this people give us experimental vaccines and drugs to use. WHY

what are northern leaders doing about it. Even Gowon is collecting bribe from them to give use fake drugs so we can die
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:01am On Jul 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Not trying to bash the north, but it would really nice if they held their end of the bargain in this so that humanity can finally defeat this disease. To some extent, they are holding the entire planet back. . . progress of nearly 7 billion humans being slowed

i understand you clearly, but when a case like that of Pfizer happen in your area what would be the majority reaction?
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

Then what do we do?

what are northern leaders doing about it. Even Gowon is collecting bribe from them to give use fake drugs so we can die

Odd. What did they give the south? We already eradicated polio. Too bad we have to burdened by the slow, illiterate goons who make up the north.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:04am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

Then what do we do?

We can not fold our hands at the detriment of the posterity. It seem we don't have our own we have to accept what they may give us with all caveat.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 1:07am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

Odd. What did they give the south? We already eradicated polio. Too bad we have to burdened by the slow, illiterate goons who make up the north.

brother, please lets discuss without malices

Now, when the south was given polio vaccine, they were give without the experimental vaccine. A different one was given to the north and it lead to people of north extract dying. Now people are afraid to use it on there children. who wants his only child to die because of experiment.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 1:10am On Jul 20, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

We can not fold our hands at the detriment of the posterity. It seem we don't have our own we have to accept what they may give us with all caveat.

Ok agreed then how would the locals be convinced that there children would not die from this one when our leaders are even agreeing to such?. We need a form of orientation in the north. i no go lie
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

brother, please lets discuss without malices

Now, when the south was given polio vaccine, they were give without the experimental vaccine. A different one was given to the north and it lead to people of north extract dying. Now people are afraid to use it on there children. who wants his only child to die because of experiment.

and evidence of this is? Someone bought a special vaccine for the north only right? lol what a tool. grin
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 1:16am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

and evidence of this is? Someone bought a special vaccine for the north only right? lol what a tool. grin

So what would lead to the death of children after vaccination?
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

So what would lead to the death of children after vaccination?

malnutrition? Poor healthcare? Ignorance? Illiteracy? Kids in the north die everyday so what's new?

Why didnt southern kids die too? did they give you a special vaccine that miraculously didnt cross the niger river? You people should learn to use your brains . . . soon you'll be saying the jews must have poisoned the vaccines.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 4:08am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

malnutrition? Poor healthcare? Ignorance? Illiteracy? Kids in the north die everyday so what's new?

Why didnt southern kids die too? did they give you a special vaccine that miraculously didnt cross the niger river? You people should learn to use your brains . . . soon you'll be saying the jews must have poisoned the vaccines.

So you dont think vaccination kills?
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 4:11am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

Odd. What did they give the south? [b]We already eradicated polio. [/b]Too bad we have to burdened by the slow, illiterate goons who make up the north.

Not true.

Why do you do this? At every level of my education, I had classmates with polio, stop your anti-North nonsense and get busy.

Stupidddddd ediot. Agbaya oshi.

Omo osan ni mu kondo ba iya e

Eru kan ni si n mu ni bu igba eru: This can be translated as, a slave’s misbehavior attracts opprobrium for the other 200 slaves; and, in the case of NL, one "pseudo-intellectual's" misbehavior has attracted opprobrium for the other pseudo-intellectuals.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 4:13am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

Not more than the illetrate goons that gave birth to you, No?

Were your grandparents literate? How far did your parents go educationally.

NL intellectuals: expert at distorting facts.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 4:13am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

Not true.

Why do you do this.  Every stage of my education, I had classmates with polio, stop your anti-North nonsense and get busy.

Omo osan ni mo kondo ba iya e
thank you God bless you Ystranger. I don't understand his hate for us o
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 4:19am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

Then what do we do?

There is nothing really wrong with experimental drugs. Some of the most astonishing medical miracles have been performed with experimental drugs.

But the way Pfizer went about it is the issue. very unprofessional and unethical.  We cant really blame pfizer that much, IMO. We need to blame our leaders. They let us down big time. very unfortunate.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 4:23am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

There is nothing really wrong with experimental drugs. Some of the most astonishing medical miracles have been performed with experimental drugs.

But the way Pfizer went about it is the issue. very unprofessional and unethical.  We cant really blame pfizer that much, IMO. We need to blame our leaders. They let us down big time. very unfortunate.

ok point taken thanks
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

So you dont think vaccination kills?

In no way did my post suggest this disingenous stupidity. alj harem presented his question as if the only reason any child died in the north was because of Pfizer vaccines - when infact infant mortality in northern nigeria is a disgraceful 125 per 1000!

Ystranger:

Not true.

Why do you do this? At every level of my education, I had classmates with polio, stop your anti-North nonsense and get busy.

Omo osan ni mu kondo ba iya e

Eru kan ni si n mu ni bu igba eru: This can be translated as, a slave’s misbehavior attracts opprobrium for the other 200 slaves; and, in the case of NL, one "pseudo-intellectual's" misbehavior has attracted opprobrium for the other pseudo-intellectuals.

1. I suspect you are at least above 20.

2. So i'm assuming those classmates of yours who had polio must have contracted the disease a good 20 - 25 yrs ago.

3. As at 2010, Nigeria was 98% polio-free (the only 20 cases reported all came from the north). the South is essentially polio-free.

Err so what exactly was your point? undecided
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 4:51am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

Not more than the illetrate goons that gave birth to you, No?

Were your grandparents literate? How far did your parents go educationally.

NL intellectuals: expert at distorting facts.

Far enough to get me where i am today. You can only dream.  grin Dont worry, i'm way too confident of my own abilities to be bothered about fools who cant debate on facts but can only respond with insults to parents.

Ystranger:

The ignorance from these northern fools is stunning. The Pfizer vaccine case was a test vaccine for bacterial meningitis NOT for polio. So what was the northern governors excuse for refusing polio vaccines that had not shown any adverse effects in the south? Blame pfizer too?

Besides pfizer was quite clear that the meningitis vaccines were a TRIAL, you know. . . not yet approved by a government regulatory agency. Everyone who has 2 brain cells knows that trials can be hit or miss and deaths are sometimes reported.

Bunch of backward animals.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 4:55am On Jul 20, 2011
alj_harem:

Then what do we do?

Empty-headed fool, every drug (even paracetamol) started out as a trial drug! The phase 2 stage of drug testing is usually in humans. Go to school, these things are not that hard to learn.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 5:38am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

In no way did my post suggest this disingenous stupidity.

Again I am not surprised by your attempt at shifting the goal post, Kobo-styleeeeee. After all, you are one of NL's esteemed intellectuals.  grin

Alj Harem asked you what kills people after vaccination, you said:

davidylan:

Trying to undermine the untoward effects of vaccination as if it is fine to die from vaccination since "malnutrition? Poor healthcare? Ignorance? Illiteracy?" kill everyday. Even though on second read, your post seems to suggest something else. The callous nature of your post, coupled with your lack of deep awareness, make my conclusion not too far from what your depraved mind actually intended.

Meaning? You dont believe vaccines kill? Just be honest and stand for what you believe. I dont know more than you. i am just asking a simple question. if you think vaccines dont kill, say it and shame the devil.

alj harem presented his question as if the only reason any child died in the north was because of Pfizer vaccines

I didnt get that from his most. But then, what do I know, you are one of NL's esteemed intellectuals; good at making stuff up when misconstrued facts dont give you exactly what you want.

- when infact infant mortality in northern nigeria is a disgraceful 125 per 1000!

infant mortality in Nigeria or in the North alone? All cause? or do you have your mind on specifics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

The problem I have with you all is your penchant to distort facts and act petulant when the North is the topic of discourse. From the link I provided, it is very clear infant mortality in the North cant be anywhere around what you suggested with your 'un researched' 125/1000 births. IF infant mortality in Nigeria is 96.14, going by your distorted train of thought , for us to have a 96.14 all cause infant mortality across board, it would require Southern numbers to be as low as that of the developed world, which is just impossible. Outside of Lagos, PH, Abuja,there isnt much difference from state to state.

That said, the issue of infant mortality cant be categorized as simply as you described. For starters, real valid data are hard to come by in Nigeria. Secondly, we need to understand who, when, and type of deaths counted. We dont even know how many of such deaths are due to intra-partum and peripartum complications. The complicity of incompetent professionals and  lack of available technology in those deaths? Cultural issues also, since most southern middle-class and upperclass women, unlike their Northern counterparts, lie their way to developed countries and, disgracefully, India  to deliver complicated pregnancies e.g the recent publicized case of the Yoruba woman, Bola Ayebola who lied her way to London to give birth to her quintuplets. She is not a one-off, Funmi Iyanda, Donald Duke's wife et al all had their kids in London.

My point is that even if all cause infant mortality in the North is that high, the data cant be trusted.

1. I suspect you are at least above 20.

So?

2. So i'm assuming those classmates of yours who had polio must have contracted the disease a good 20 - 25 yrs ago.

So?

3. As at 2010, Nigeria was 98% polio-free (the only 20 cases reported all came from the north). the South is essentially polio-free.

98% polio free and 20 reported cases? Does that even make sense to you?

All these NL intellectuals sha? 20 x 50? Are you for real?

Err so what exactly was your point?  undecided

That you are very stupidddd, out of touch and you have a false sense of entitlement.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by EzeUche(m): 5:40am On Jul 20, 2011
The North fails us again. . . angry
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by aljharem3: 5:51am On Jul 20, 2011
EzeUche:

The North fails us again. . . angry
can u please shut up angry
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 6:23am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

The ignorance from these northern fools is stunning. The Pfizer vaccine case was a test vaccine for bacterial meningitis NOT for polio. So what was the northern governors excuse for refusing polio vaccines that had not shown any adverse effects in the south? Blame pfizer too?

Besides pfizer was quite clear that the meningitis vaccines were a TRIAL, you know

Do you mind providing evidence for this? That they actually stated that they were there for trials?

. . . not yet approved by a government regulatory agency. Everyone who has 2 brain cells knows that trials can be hit or miss and deaths are sometimes reported.

Very stupidddddd. How can a trial drug be approved  by appropriate regulatory agency.  Who ever said that? The issue at stake is the protocol and the ethics behind what Pfizer did, not the drug per se.

look at all your expensive education going to waste right in your face. An ordinary illiterate with no GED is here exposing your stupidity. You should demand a refund from your grad school, they have failed you.

[center]So this is what really went down:[/center]

- Bacterial (meningococcal) meningitis epidemic in Tudun Wada, Kano, Nigeria in 1996

- Overpopulated, hot conditions prevailing in Kano were ideal for the spread of the infectious disease.

- A NGO called Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) provided free emergency treatment at the government Infectious Diseases Hospital in Kano.

- Pfizer team joined the government and the MSF at the government hospital in Kano.

- The Pfizer team recruited children to test a drug called Trovan, or Trovafloxacin.

- At least 200 children were recruited into the trial. BTW, the government hospital and the MSF were using chloramphenicol for treatment of childre[/b]n

[b][center][b]So what really happened:[/center]

- Pfizer researchers took advantage of
The absence of a functional ethics committee (institutional one at Kano or national committee).
The desperation of the affected poor, illiterate people.
The emergency situation that greatly facilitated recruitment of participants at a single site.

- The Pfizer team indeed left Kano before the bacterial meningitis epidemic was significantly contained ( violating the good Samaritan law) which means then they were not in Nigeria on a humanitarian mission in the first place but to conduct a clinical trial that would be beneficial to their share-holders. Helping the good people of Kano wasnt on their agenda at all.
[/b]

[center]You need to ask yourself the following questions[/center]:

(1) Is it possible to conduct research ethically during an epidemic? Knowing fully well the Cipro, even in the US, is sparingly used in kids under 21.
(2) Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children?
(3) Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial?
(4) Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda since pre and post Pfizer mortality rate did not change?
(5) Why did Pfizer agree to settle out of court?
(6) Would Pfizer have done the same thing in the US or UK?
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by edoyad(m): 6:50am On Jul 20, 2011
Well it's connected to the extreme poverty that's breeding extremist tendencies. Why would any one resist immunization aimed at polio eradication ?

FORENSIC FORCE: How
poverty fuels
extremism By Salisu Suleiman July 18, 2011 01:17PMT print email S A few years ago, former Central Bank Governor ‘Comical' Chukwuma Soludo reeled out the results of studies which clearly indicated that the north east geopolitical region of Nigeria was the poorest and least developed. Is there any coincidence with the fact that the same region has now become the haven of extremist groups posing serious security threats to the entire country? Why are we seeing almost daily attacks and loss of lives and property from Bauchi, Gombe to Maiduguri? That Nigeria as a country is facing unprecedented political, social and economic crises is not in doubt. While each state has specific challenges, the north east region faces the risk of disintegration from the
activities of extremist groups that seek to bring about violent change. The role of the region's political elite and fraudulent governors who have systematically narrowed
the economic and political space to the exclusion of the majority, who wallow in poverty, unemployment, insecurity, cannot be discounted. Taking advantage of youth unemployment, the Gombe State government supported the ‘kallare' group; Bauchi State gave tacit support to the ‘sara suka', while the Borno government openly related with the ‘ecomog' group which directly or indirectly metamorphosed into the ‘boko haram'. The forces fanning the flames of these extremist activities are fired not by any ‘jihadist' agenda as much as by failure of governments at all levels to
create economic opportunities.
All that people want are openings for honest work; markets for farm produce; hospitals when ill; schools that provide real education and security of life and property. But the political elite could not fathom the consequences of ignoring these legitimate demands of their people and chose to play politics with the issues. So poverty, unemployment and loss of hope became the norm. Bustling marketplaces and businesses became deserted and empty, echoing with the silence of inactivity. Agriculture, which used to employ large numbers of people, remained largely subsistence and dependent on the vagaries of weather.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5731278-182/story.csp

there's an argument i'm finding real interesting here . Why ? Because i have lost a brother to road accident before and am resolved to never again get into another car in my life. Again i say:

groups posing serious security threats to the entire country? Why are we seeing almost daily attacks and loss of lives and property from Bauchi, Gombe to Maiduguri? That Nigeria as a country is facing unprecedented political, social and economic crises is not in doubt. While each state has specific challenges, the north east region faces the risk of disintegration from the
activities of extremist groups that seek to bring about violent change. The role of the region's political elite and fraudulent governors who have systematically narrowed
the economic and political space to the exclusion of the majority, who wallow in poverty, unemployment, insecurity, cannot be discounted. Taking advantage of youth unemployment, the Gombe State government supported the ‘kallare' group; Bauchi State gave tacit support to the ‘sara suka', while the Borno government openly related with the ‘ecomog' group which directly or indirectly metamorphosed into the ‘boko haram'. The forces fanning the flames of these extremist activities are fired not by any ‘jihadist' agenda as much as by failure of governments at all levels to
create economic opportunities.
All that people want are openings for honest work; markets for farm produce; hospitals when ill; schools that provide real education and security of life and property. But the political elite could not fathom the consequences of ignoring these legitimate demands of their people and chose to play politics with the issues. So poverty, unemployment and loss of hope became the norm. Bustling marketplaces and businesses became deserted and empty, echoing with the silence of inactivity. Agriculture, which used to employ large numbers of people, remained largely subsistence and dependent on the vagaries of weather.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5731278-182/story.csp
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 20, 2011
Oh dear, we have to be educating these northern fools all over again . . . here we go . . . skipping the irrelevant.

Ystranger:

infant mortality in Nigeria or in the North alone? All cause? or do you have your mind on specifics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

The problem I have with you all is your penchant to distort facts and act petulant when the North is the topic of discourse. From the link I provided, it is very clear infant mortality in the North cant be anywhere around what you suggested with your 'un researched' 125/1000 births. IF infant mortality in Nigeria is 96.14, going by your distorted train of thought , for us to have a 96.14 all cause infant mortality across board, it would require Southern numbers to be as low as that of  the developed world, which is  just impossible. Outside of Lagos, PH, Abuja,there isnt much difference from state to state.

When next you want to reference something like epidemiological data, you might want to lay your hands on REAL HARD data rather than relying on wikipedia which can be edited by brainless fools like you or alj harem. Now read some cold hard data and weep:

1. According to the Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey (2003 NDHS) report (i am working on laying my hands on more recent data) . . . between 1990 and 2003, national infant mortality rate in Nigeria - 113/1000. That for NE = 129/1000, NW = 136/1000

2. You were quite correct when you said that for the national mortality rates to be that low, southern numbers would be as low as the developed world . . . from the same NDHS report, infant mortality in the SE = 74/1000 while that of the SW = 81/1000.

3. When you look at Under 5 mortality rates . . . the disaster is much worse. NW = 269/1000, NE = 260/1000, SW = 176/1000, SE = 103/1000

4. Maternal mortality rates for the north verge on the criminal! NW = 1026/100000, NE = 1549/1000, SW = 165/100000 while the SE = 286/100000.

Those are FACTS dude, not the emotional nonsense you goons spew here all day.

Ystranger:

That said, the issue of infant mortality cant be categorized as simply as you described. For starters, real valid data are hard to come by in Nigeria.

When it comes to epidemiological data, that is a bold faced lie. There is a tremendous wealth of data from the WHO, UNICEF and the UNDP almost on a yearly basis. There is detailed mortality data available right down to effects of literacy level, nutrition, family size, age of the mother e.t.c. I should know, my mother works for the UNICEF .

Ystranger:

Secondly, we need to understand who, when, and type of deaths counted. We dont even know how many of such deaths are due to intra-partum and peripartum complications. The complicity of incompetent professionals and  lack of available technology in those deaths? Cultural issues also, since most southern middle-class and upperclass women, unlike their Northern counterparts, lie their way to developed countries and, disgracefully, India  to deliver complicated pregnancies e.g the recent publicized case of the Yoruba woman, Bola Ayebola who lied her way to London to give birth to her quintuplets. She is not a one-off, Funmi Iyanda, Donald Duke's wife et al all had their kids in London.

This is quite daft. To suggest that the reason infant mortality is lower in the southern states is because all the southern women run off to deliver their babies in foreign countries is ridiculous. How many babies out of millions are born abroad to cause such a huge shift?
the problem with the north is very simple - literacy levels.

Ystranger:

My point is that even if all cause infant mortality in the North is that high, the data cant be trusted.

why cant the data be trusted? Are they lying? What of the huge disparity in VVF in the north? That is false data too caused by pfizer vaccines?

Ystranger:

98% polio free and 20 reported cases? Does that even make sense to you?

Sit down, read posts before hyperventilating. 98% means there is still a 2% chance polio still exists in pockets within the country with the hottest spot being Kano state. As at March 2010, only 1 polio case (from kano of course) had been reported as against 42 in 2009. For the whole of 2010, there were no more than 20 cases reported.

Ystranger:

That you are very stupidddd, out of touch and you have a false sense of entitlement.

Having the full faith and confidence that my people can grow without the shackles that is the north is NOT a false sense of entitlement . . . sorry.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

Do you mind providing evidence for this? That they actually stated that they were there for trials?

Pfizer allegedly obtained a letter from the Nigerian government and the hospital where the trial was said to have been conducted by the lead physician who happened to be a Nigerian. Should pfizer be held responsible for falsification of government documents by a Nigerian hospital? It is instructive to note that this case against pfizer was DISMISSED 3 out of 4 times and had to be transfered to Nigerian courts.

Ystranger:

Very stupidddddd. How can a trial drug be approved  by appropriate regulatory agency.  Who ever said that? The issue at stake is the protocol and the ethics behind what Pfizer did, not the drug per se.

hmmm drugs have to be APPROVED by the FDA after phase I trial BEFORE it can be registered to go into phase 2 humans trials. Too bad no such stringent rules apply in your deadbeat nation.

Ystranger:

look at all your expensive education going to waste right in your face. An ordinary illiterate with no GED is here exposing your stupidity. You should demand a refund from your grad school, they have failed you.

Its paying the bills, with plenty extra dude. I got nothing to worry about.  grin

Ystranger:

(1) Is it possible to conduct research ethically during an epidemic? Knowing fully well the Cipro, even in the US, is sparingly used in kids under 21.

that is squarely the fault of your government. If they had adequate resources to combat the epidemic in the first instance this problem would not have happened. It is a shame to the federal govt and the kano state govt that it takes the MSF to fight an epidemic at their doorstep in a nation that is the 6th largest oil producer.

It is funny that only 9 people died as a result of this drug for which pfizer paid $75m, over 12000 people died as a result of the epidemic . . . what has the FG paid in reparation? Of course its just easier to sue pfizer.

Ystranger:

(2) Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children?

useless semantics. if the Kano state govt had done its job this would not have happened.

Ystranger:

(3) Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial?

Illiteracy, greed and corruption. The man who claimed to have obtained the consent was a nigerian doctor not an american.

Ystranger:

(4) Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda since pre and post Pfizer mortality rate did not change?

It wasnt their duty to fight the epidemic.

Ystranger:

(5) Why did Pfizer agree to settle out of court?

For business reasons. It hurts their profits to fight a drug in court because it drives their customers right to their competitors. Pfizer needed to keep this quiet real quick.

Ystranger:

(6) Would Pfizer have done the same thing in the US or UK?

No, because in those places the govt doesnt wait for aid agencies to fight epidemics that are not even allowed to occur in the first place. Shame on Kano.

NOTE AGAIN - at least 1300x more people died from govt negligence than died from the pfizer drugs (only 9).

[size=13pt]And as a sidenote, please learn to reference your sources especially when you type questions as if you were the one who thought it up. Your entire post right down to your arguments and questions can be summarized from here - http://www.pabin.org/downloads/AMANET%20Case%20Study%201%20The%20Trovan%20trial.pdf[/size]
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 20, 2011
I wonder why ystranger didnt "copy and paste" this from the site he stole his other questions from:

2. Pfizer went to Kano to assist the Nigerian government during a seriousepidemic, and
they offered free treatment. Whereas some of the 200 children they treated with Trovan
may have experienced some serious side effects thatin some cases led to death, some
participants in the trial responded well to Trovan and thus benefited. After all, some
patients in the government and MSF camp responded poorly to chloramphenicol treatment
and died. Thus the deaths would probably have occurred anyway even if Pfizer had not
come on board.

Why is no one mentioning the fact that while 9 deaths were ASSOCIATED (note we cannot use the term "killed"wink with the use of trovan, 12,000 died from the epidemic! Why did those families fail to sue the Kano state government for failing to provide adequate medical care?

Some deaths were also recorded for many on the MSF and government-provided chloramphenicol (which is completely ineffective at the late stage of the disease and may have contributed to some of the trovan deaths), did anyone sue the government over the chloramphenicol-related deaths or was this just an attempt to extort pfizer?

Again from the same source - 5. The bacterial meningitis epidemic was fuelled by the squalid conditions in which the
communities of Kano were living, and that is what needed to be addressed urgently. [size=13pt]Pfizer
did not cause or exacerbate the epidemic; it only came into Nigeria to help and to test a
drug that could potentially improve the treatment of bacterial meningitis in children[/size].
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 7:28am On Jul 20, 2011
^^^^

ANd where is Pfizer today?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To Nigeria Problem / Dakuku Is Love By Rivers People But The Hatred For Govnor Ameachi Made Him Lost / Tolu Ogunlesi Tweet: Chinue Achebe Said Worse Things About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.