Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,967 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts (3133 Views)

Abacha $300 Million Loot: Twitter Nigeria Reacts / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / Jubril Aminu Calls For Ban Of Christian Association Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:26pm On Feb 21, 2006

Having watched with sadness and dismay the recent development in some States in the Northern part of this Country where many Christian Churches and other property have been wantonly destroyed by some Islamic fundamentalists, the Christian Association of Nigeria is compelled to issue the following statements:

a. From all indications, it is very clear now that the sacrifices of the Christians in this country for peaceful co-existence with people of other faiths has been sadly misunderstood to be weakness.

b. We have for a long time now watched helplessly the killing, maiming and destruction of Christians and their property by Muslim fanatics and fundamentalists at the slightest or no provocation at all. We are not unaware of the fact that these religious extremists have the full backup and support of some influential Muslims who are yet to appreciate the value of peaceful co-existence.

c. That an incident in far away Denmark which does not claim to be representing Christianity could elicit such an unfortunate reaction here in Nigeria, leading to the destruction of Christian Churches, is not only embarrassing, but also disturbing and unfortunate.

d. It is no longer a hidden fact that a long standing agenda to make this Nigeria an Islamic nation is being surreptitiously pursued. The willingness of Muslim Youth to descend with violence on the innocent Christians from time to time is from all intents and purposes a design to actualize their dream.

a. It is sad to note that all acts of hostility meted against Christians by Muslims in the past have remained unaddressed with nobody paying compensations or the culprits brought to justice.

b. We do appreciate the fact that at this stage of our national development, peace is absolutely necessary for realizing our dreams and aspirations. It is in view of this that Christians in Nigeria agreed to participate in the forthcoming National Census as sacrifice for the peace and progress of this nation, in spite of our protest over the non-inclusion of Religion and Ethnicity as necessary demographic data.

c. May we at this stage remind our Muslim brothers that they do not have the monopoly of violence in this nation. Nigeria belongs to all of us – Christians, Muslims and members of other faiths. No amount of intimidation can Change this time-honoured arrangement in this nation. C.A.N. may no longer be able to contain our restive youths should this ugly trend continue.

a. We now demand that further destruction of Christian Churches and property in this nation be permanently put to an end.

b. All levels of Government in this country should take adequate steps to protect the lives and property of Christians everywhere in this land as no further destructions will be tolerated or ignored.

c. The Federal Government and those States where Christian Churches have been destroyed are hereby urged to take urgent steps at rebuilding those structures and paying adequate compensation while assuring Christians of adequate protection in this country. These governments should now show in practical terms that Nigeria belongs to all of us by going beyond mere promises of rebuilding destroyed Churches and property as in the past to actual reconstruction, which will help the victims to quickly put this unfortunate incident behind them. A stitch in time saves nine.

Signed

Most Revd. Peter J. Akinola (CON, DD.)
President, Christian Association of Nigeria

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/41/00/acns4113.cfm
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:31pm On Feb 21, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nigeria_sectarian_violence

This is good news.

I fail to understand why muslims are so quick at attacking christians over issues in the International community. Christians have been taken for granted year after year in this lawless country.

The latest killings over cartoons printed in faraway Denmark, proves that muslims care nothing for human lives. Can you just imagine getting up to go to work, and then having a mob descend on you and beat the living daylights out of you, just because you're a christian?

Muslims understand one thing, violence. If you don't stand up to them, they'd see you as weak, and therefore bully you any chance they get. That is why I'm in support of this retaliation by christians against them.  You have to send a message that no further violence would be tolerated.

Maybe in future they'd think twice before taking another christian life.

And mind you, i say muslims, not just fundamentalists, because I haven't heard any mainstream or moderate muslim come out publicly to condemn these barbaric acts taking place in the north.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:36pm On Feb 21, 2006
The president swore to uphold the law when he took office.  Where is he in all this?

He should have deployed soldiers to any warring region to quell the riots, and protect the lives of innocent civilians.  If our country won't protect us in times of crises, do we really have a country?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by demmy(m): 5:52pm On Feb 21, 2006
Obasanjo is still mute as he always does when it comes to north. If this were to happened in some southern state he would have called in the army.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 8:17pm On Feb 21, 2006
How do they even know that those they killed were Christians? And who says those who published the Danish cartoons are Christians?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 8:29pm On Feb 21, 2006
How do they even know that those they killed were Christians? And who says those who published the Danish cartoons are Christians?

How do they know that the buildings burned down were churches?

I don't think you're asking the right questions buddy. Or at least, I fail to see the relevance of the questions.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2006
My obvious point is that this is not about religion. It is a north vs. south issue using religion as an excuse. I mean, they are burning churches but nobody has asked whether the people who drew those cartoons attend churches themselves. What if they are atheists? Why burn churches over the actions of an atheist or agnostic?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 8:45pm On Feb 21, 2006
I still don't know what side you're on.

The whole confict is a reaction to mohammed's caricature. How is that not about religion?

http://www.localnewsleader.com/elytimes/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=146284

By DULUE MBACHU

LAGOS, Nigeria - Christian mobs rampaged through a southern Nigerian city Tuesday, burning mosques and killing several people in an outbreak of anti-Muslim violence that followed deadly protests against caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad over the weekend.

"The mosque at the main market has been burnt and I‘ve counted at least six dead bodies on the streets," Izzy Uzor, an Onitsha resident and businessman, told The Associated Press by telephone. "The whole town is in a frenzy and people are running in all directions."

Another Onitsha resident, Isotonu Achor, said one badly beaten Muslim man ran into his office from the streets to escape the violence.

Police and government officials were not immediately available for comment.

Saturday‘s protest over the cartoons of Prophet Muhammad in Maiduguri marked the first violent demonstrations over the issue in Nigeria. Police say at least 18 people, most of them Christians, died, and 30 churches were burned down. The Christian Association of Nigeria said at least 50 people were killed in the violence.

Islam widely holds that representations of Muhammad are banned for fear they could lead to idolatry.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2006
Christianity does not support murder. Islam does not support murder. This is a North vs South issue and the Danish cartoons are only being used as an excuse for violence. You can't tell from looking at someone's face whether the person is a Christian or Muslim, but you can tell if he's Hausa or Igbo.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Maxflame(m): 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2006
I think Seun is reffering to the All muslim nation Nigeria propaganda. Well there goes our "Nigeria could be better statement" Its just sad that stuff like this has to happen now. This could get worse than we all think, if the US who are still pissed about terrorism hear about this if they haven't already, things might get out of hand. Have to get my bags ready just incase.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2006
Oasis
Hmmm,
It's a pity that u r rejoicing at an incedence as babaric as this. I'm devastated and I weep seriously for Nigeria if we have pple like u around. You must be heartless to rejoice at the incedence in Onitsha.

I'm a muslim if u must know, and I've written several times on this forum that the happenings in the north as as babaric as one can think of. Several muslim leaders have condemned the act in the north as against your claim that no one did. It's unfortunate, and I pray for the repose of the lost souls.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Maxflame(m): 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2006
What part of his post seem like he's rejoicing?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 9:26pm On Feb 21, 2006
oasis:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nigeria_sectarian_violence

This is good news.

I fail to understand why muslims are so quick at attacking christians over issues in the International community. Christians have been taken for granted year after year in this lawless country.

The latest killings over cartoons printed in faraway Denmark, proves that muslims care nothing for human lives. Can you just imagine getting up to go to work, and then having a mob descend on you and beat the living daylights out of you, just because you're a christian?

Muslims understand one thing, violence. If you don't stand up to them, they'd see you as weak, and therefore bully you any chance they get. That is why I'm in support of this retaliation by christians against them. You have to send a message that no further violence would be tolerated.

Maybe in future they'd think twice before taking another christian life.

And mind you, i say muslims, not just fundamentalists, because I haven't heard any mainstream or moderate muslim come out publicly to condemn these barbaric acts taking place in the north.

U have in bold letters what ur friend typed,
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by choiceA: 9:33pm On Feb 21, 2006
I'm all the more saddened by this narrowness of questioning whether the victims are actually Christians and the notion that this is just about the north vs the south. Seun, with all respect, you should have an international focus: this is beyond the confines of the Nigerian geographic boundaries. We are talking about an agenda that is barbaric and an attack on humanity. The geographical divide between Nigeria and Pakistan is great; but when you see Pakistani Muslims attacking everything not labelled "Muslim" or "Islam" (including embassies, businesses, and even structures owned by non-muslims who are not known to be Christians), then you would not be so small in your view about what is happening. In some cases, it is reported that Muslims have attacked fellow Muslims in the wake of the riots. The country where I live in is squarely secular; but the Muslims know better than to call for a demonstration of any sort. I don't know why, but it is rumoured that the non-religious people are waiting to give them bigger than they ask for should they take to the streets.

The Federal Government in Nigeria has really been biased in the way they have handled the spate of violence in the country. I welcome the C.A.N. communiqué, if for anything at all but to warn the Muslim community that the Christians in the country should not be taken for fools or weaklings because of their willingness to foster peace in the face of the senseless barbarity.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Maxflame(m): 9:36pm On Feb 21, 2006
Dude he's happy about the fact that Christians are saying they are not gonna put up with it again. This has happened countless times but no one did anything coz of the turn your other chic(did i spell that right? ) attitude christains have. Do you expect him to say its bad news? You need to read posts more clearly coz when you take actions based on facts which aren't clear you make mistakes and sometimes lives are lost just like what we ar facing now. So dude chill. . .
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2006
Look, this nonsense that is currently happening in Nigeria is a Hausa vs. Igbo issue. The cartoon issue is just an excuse. Last time it was Miss World issue. As long as these handful of hoodlums ("muslims" or "Christians"wink are roaming the streats instead of being stowed safely away in prisons where they belong, they will keep finding excuses to kill "Christians" (aka Igbos) and burn churches (which, honestly, I don't give a damn about).
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Maxflame(m): 9:53pm On Feb 21, 2006
Dude you're supposed to be a forum mod.
Seun:

and burn churches (which, honestly, I don't give a damn about).
That is bad.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2006
When people are dying the importance of church buildings pale in comparison. Let's not talk about buildings until the murderers of people in this last fracas are brought to justice. It's not right.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Maxflame(m): 10:07pm On Feb 21, 2006
I thought you ment you didn't care if church building got burnt. My bad. cheesy
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 10:26pm On Feb 21, 2006
It's a pity that you're rejoicing at an incedence as babaric as this.

I understand your sentiment.  But you clearly lack the ability to connect the dots into a whole thought.

This muslim rampage goes beyond Nigeria's borders.  It's an international incident.

During Bill Clinton, terrorist attacks on the US were rampant.  Since Bush took the fight to them, we haven't seen another attack in over 5 years.  What can you deduce from that lesson in relation to Nigeria?  If you want peace, you must quit being a pacifist.  Muslims don't understand diplomacy.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 10:36pm On Feb 21, 2006
You can't tell from looking at someone's face whether the person is a Christian or Muslim, but you can tell if he's Hausa or Igbo.

Most Hausas are muslims.
Most Igbos are christians.
Therefore, it's a close approximation that this is a riot about religion.

Besides, where is the proof that it's north vs south issue? However, proof abound that it's a religious issue.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 10:51pm On Feb 21, 2006
"Christians" were killed in the north but not in the South.

"Muslims" were killed in the South but not in the North.

If you still don't get it, then I rest my case. However, the criminals who killed "Christians" (Igbos) in the north and the criminals who killed "Muslims" (Hausas) in the South must be brought to justice. Only when they are brought to justice will our people learn that violence is not a viable alternative in the quest for equity and prosperity.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by exu(m): 12:29am On Feb 22, 2006
These riots have:

a) little to do with religion.

b) even less to do with the cartoons.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 12:48am On Feb 22, 2006
If you still don't get it

I don't get it?

"Christians" were killed in the north but not in the South.

"Muslims" were killed in the South but not in the North.

Yes, but one is a response to the other.

The riot in the south is justified.  It's a fight for survival.  The perpetrators in the north are nothing but troublemakers.

Only when they are brought to justice will our people learn that violence is not a viable alternative in the quest for equity and prosperity.

If your dormant government won't protect you, what are you supposed to do to protect yourself?  Just keep taking the unprovoked assaults?

violence is not a viable alternative in the quest for equity and prosperity.

When you're dealing with an enemy that has no value for your life, you have to resort to violence.  It's the only way, or you're gonna die, period.

Was it just for Russia to attack Nazi Germany?
Was it just for America to fight terrorists?
Was it just for America to bump off Hiroshima in response to Perl Harbour attack?
Was it just for the IRA to bomb England?
Was the French revolution justified?

Yes it was in all cases.

Sometimes, violence is your only weapon.  You'll learn that soon enough as you go through life.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 2:24am On Feb 22, 2006
Fine. Why don't you go to Maiduguri to fight the "muslims" that killed the "Christians"? Why are you killing the ones in Onitsha that have nothing to do with the killings in Maiduguri? Why not go to the home of the murderers instead of resorting to cold-blooded murder that can only cause the crisis to escalate?

Sometimes, violence is your only weapon. You'll learn that soon enough as you go through life.
Those who live by such nonsensical principles can usually be found on death row in civilized countries. In Nigeria, they roam the streets.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 2:29am On Feb 22, 2006
Good. You have agreed that violence is necessary from time to time to bring about peace.

Now, on to the question of why people don't go to the north to fight.

It's simple. When northerners know that their people in other parts of the country aren't safe, they'd think twice before shedding the blood of another innocent christian in the north.

When they know that their mosques in other parts of the country aren't safe, they'd think twice before setting another church on fire.

It's that simple.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 2:35am On Feb 22, 2006
What about the people that were killed. Will you like to be killed because of what someone from your tribe did in a different state? Will you like to have your children killed? Do you think it is right to kill people. If yes, then how can you even clal yourself a christian?

Also, don't you think when you kill hausas in Onitsha it will only cause more killing to take place in the north as reprissals. Afterall you know that the criminal elements in the north are willing to kill hundreds and thousands if they have their way instead of "just" 50. Violence is not the way at all. Two wrongs do not make a right and if you are here to encourage peace-loving people to embrace vioence I suggest you log out right now.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 3:33am On Feb 22, 2006
Christians in the north are being killed. Churches are being burned.

The federal government is doing nothing about it. If you're a victim of these killings, too bad.

What is your solution to this problem?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by rikkyjen(m): 6:33am On Feb 22, 2006
Seun, i think u were too harsh on Oasis by asking him to log out,Afterall u guys are having some kind of intellectual contest.Moreover its only his opinion and everybody is entitled to his/her opinnion, So wat the heck
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 10:00am On Feb 22, 2006
There is nothing intelectual about murder. It is simply a crime.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by micklplus(m): 11:57am On Feb 22, 2006
it is rather unfortunate that these things are happening in a country where we are supposed to live as one. its extremely condemned in all ramifications the stand of government as to curb the re-occurence this kind of happening.

There is no justification for this barbaric act no matter how we want to look at it. This northern muslims are nothing but fanatics , they believe they can fight for God and defend their creator at the detriment of their own fellow human being. which i know definately will be used against them at aljanah.

How do you want to explain the process whereby you unleash terror on your fellow human being which was brougth to bear because of your stupidity and backwardness?

how do you want to justify deliberate killings of fellow human being and coat it with being religious when you know that you are actually a fanatic?.

and again, one would expect that government will just do something about this madness in order to save the blood of the innocent citizen from being spilled.

God should save us o.

Gbam.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2006
Seun,
Thanx for your openmindedness. I wonder how these guys want to defend the killings in Onitsha. Just as the killings in Maiduguri (and now Bauchi according some 9ija dailies) is senseless, there is no justification what so ever for the killings in Onitsha.

Once again, I'm reaffirming my stand that there is no religion that preaches taking of life senslessly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turai Tackles Jonathan You Can’t Sack Yar’adua’s Cso, Adc / Lawmaker Defects To Buhari’s New Party ! / Fg Moves To Cut N’assembly Vote – Thisday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.