Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? (2952 Views)

5 Popular Nigerians Who Died At The Verge Of Victory (Photos) / Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / Bukar Ati Is The New Head Of Civil Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Kokscity(m): 9:01pm On Feb 21, 2006
Is Nigeria On The Verge Of "Civil War" Or Civil Uprising?

We hear it more and more on the news everyday. Expatriates being Kidnapped, Muslims Killing Christians in the North, Christians retaliating in the South, Oil Flow stations being blow up, Pipelines being sabotaged, the Massob movement, Issues in the Niger Delta ETC. Are we there yet? Is there a storm brewing in the country? I think that something big is about to happen and the Niger Delta will be the catalyst.

What say you?
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Seun(m): 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2006
I think some people are trying to break up the country by inciting various acts of violence. However, the vast majority of Nigerians are peace loving and too intelligent to think that a full-scale war will solve their problems. Sometimes people's emotions get the best of them and we lose lives here and there but there are no leaders cunning enough to convince us that they have our best interests at heart in leading us into war.

I want to believe that Nigerians are too smart for that. We have seen how other African countries have failed to benefit from war. Who's going to do the peacekeeping if Nigeria goes into war? We can't avoid loss of lives on a minor scale when many people who should be in prison are roaming the streets and helping governors to win elections, but full-scale war is out of the question.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by owo(m): 5:50pm On Feb 22, 2006
Civil war?, maybe

Civil Uprising?, Certainly not.
The mass of the people are too tibalistic to support an idea based uprising
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Kobani: 6:27pm On Feb 22, 2006
Owo hit the nail on the head. Each of us looks at ourselves as first a Hausa man Yoruba man or Niger Delta man before we accept that we are Nigerians. In more developed climes it`s less emphasized and totally irrelevant. The US report is shocking but not totally rubbish. These guys do a bit of home work.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 10:59pm On Feb 22, 2006
@SEUN
We can't avoid loss of lives on a minor scale when many people who should be in prison are roaming the streets and helping governors to win elections, but full-scale war is out of the question.

IF THESE PEOPLE WERE GAINFULLY EMPLOYED DON'T YOU THINK THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN THINKING OF THEIR JOBS,PROMOTION ETC?THOSE GUYS ARE A PRODUCT OF THE SYSTEM.PLEASE LET US PRAY FOR THE NATION.OTHERWISE WORSE IS ON THE WAY.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by c0dec(m): 11:25pm On Feb 22, 2006
system of a down
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by paddylo1(m): 12:58am On Feb 23, 2006
My mum, dad, and two sisters are in Nigeria so by Gods grace there will be no war, not to mention, endless cousins, aunts, nephews, nieces, newborn babies i have not even met, anyone talking of war has not really thought of the repercussions,
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Kokscity(m): 3:08am On Feb 23, 2006
@Paddy Lo

There are a lot of experts, people on ground,in the local media,in the west, and the average Nigerian on the streets that are feeling that Nigeria is about to explode. Millions of Nigerians are feeling marginalized and if i were you i will advice my family @ home to be on alert.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Seun(m): 8:48am On Feb 23, 2006
The war-mongerers are telling the people that they are feeling marginalized and the stupid people are believing them.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by otokx(m): 9:43am On Feb 23, 2006
No, this is violence is a product of illiteracy.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by oyibo01(m): 11:50am On Feb 23, 2006
Well, if MEND have the balls to carry out their threats and it spills over from the Niger Delta, which is very possible, we are definitely faced with a civil war.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2006
nobody wants war.bu if this trend continues unchecked.problem dey o.anything can happen.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Seun(m): 12:52pm On Feb 23, 2006
MEND alone cannot start a war, but this trend of ethnically motivated killing, if unchecked, is capable of causing a war. I wish to FG to swing to action and crush this trend.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by ijebuman(m): 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2006
Lets calm down a bit. Nothing is going to happen. This time next month no one will remember this incident and then something else will happen and then we will go through the whole cycle again.

Why i'm not worried? quite simple. Majority of Nigerians do not have the foresight or patience required to effect social change. We think social change can come through occasional violence, crying out to God etc. People want instant results and when they don't get it they give up.

Change requires sustained action, not our typical fire brigade approach or knee jerk reaction to everything. Who will fight if they realise that it may take them 30 to 40 years to achieve their goal.

Then you also have the religious factor. As long as people wrap themselves in the cloak of religion, nothing will happen because religion absorbs most of the social frustrations people have.

Nigerians only react to incidents when it affects them personally. We don't really have this culture of standing up for each other (its every man for himself). You want to understand the true psyche of a Nigerian, then study the behaviour of Nigerians abroad.
A lot of Nigerians are victimised all over the world, but its surprising that even where avenues exist for many to seek redress (and probably even get compensated in the process smiley) they refuse to do so, placing their trust in religion.

As usual this crises will play itself out till the next one and the next one after that
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Seun(m): 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2006
Amen!
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Sunnero(m): 6:21am On Feb 24, 2006
Hello ijebuman,
Your post is one of the most sensible I have read so far about the state of Nigeria. You gave very good examples but as usual, so many pretenders will rain insults on you.
To buttress your observations, here in california, the Igbos have their own tribal association. Every summer break, they will arrange for camping for their children only outside Los Angeles. Suddenly, the Yorubas too started their own. We are yet to see the Hausa version, simply because they usually do not like to venture outside the country.
The bottom line/bitter truth is that Nigeria is NOT a country or nation or whatever, it is just an agglomeration of tribes living uncomfortably together.
Until the issue of nationhood is resolved, that country cannot move forward. I stand by this.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by DivineOke(f): 1:09am On Feb 27, 2006
Though a lot of things are happening in Nigeria, MASSOB,MEND,Hausa's killing Igbos and Vice Versa, I believe Nigerians are too smart 2 allow a civil war to emerge.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by demmy(m): 3:06am On Feb 27, 2006
ijebuman:

Lets calm down a bit. Nothing is going to happen. This time next month no one will remember this incident and then something else will happen and then we will go through the whole cycle again.

Why i'm not worried? quite simple. Majority of Nigerians do not have the foresight or patience required to effect social change. We think social change can come through occasional violence, crying out to God etc. People want instant results and when they don't get it they give up.

Change requires sustained action, not our typical fire brigade approach or knee jerk reaction to everything. Who will fight if they realise that it may take them 30 to 40 years to achieve their goal.

Then you also have the religious factor. As long as people wrap themselves in the cloak of religion, nothing will happen because religion absorbs most of the social frustrations people have.

Nigerians only react to incidents when it affects them personally. We don't really have this culture of standing up for each other (its every man for himself). You want to understand the true psyche of a Nigerian, then study the behaviour of Nigerians abroad.
A lot of Nigerians are victimised all over the world, but its surprising that even where avenues exist for many to seek redress (and probably even get compensated in the process smiley) they refuse to do so, placing their trust in religion.

As usual this crises will play itself out till the next one and the next one after that

correct analysis my brother. very very correct.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2006
nice analogy ijebuman,just that unlike u i'm worried.b/c u cant contnue treting fever with paracetamol. the fever will continue to return untill u treat with anti malaria or anti typhoid or anti, whatever that is causing the fever. so if the underlying factor causing all these problemsa are not addressed thet will continue to crop up in the future.

that to me is the real problem here
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by dafman(m): 2:52pm On Feb 27, 2006
The problem of Nigeria and nationhood is multifaceted. Nigeria is grouped in blocs, southwest, north, southeast, nigerdelta and the rest, as long as people continue to identify themselves with their regional groupings it will be almost impossible to have a united country. Something has to be done to make the country more or less patterned after the U.K system, different countries with one president.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 5:01pm On Feb 27, 2006
confederacy. i think that would be nice for us. may be with a paliamentry system of democracy
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by rikkyjen(m): 4:54pm On Mar 01, 2006
How can you advocate for confederation for a country like Nigeria angry angry angry, You want to make the center inevitably weak with powerful states and regions abilai- lai.You need to read more about confederation before canvassing for it!!!!
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 6:51pm On Mar 01, 2006
rikkyjen:

How can you advocate for confederation for a country like Nigeria angry angry angry, You want to make the center inevitably weak with powerful states and regions abilai- lai.You need to read more about confederation before canvassing for it!!!!
[/quote

please explain urself. what have u read about confederacy that u hate it so much apparently
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Seun(m): 7:55pm On Mar 01, 2006
Regional autonomy is what made the 1970s civil war possible, and confederations have that!
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by rikkyjen(m): 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2006
Toshman, Dont you know confederation is not for a Homogenous country country like Nigeria??Confederation allows governors to veto presidential decisions,it allows state polices and probably armed-forces!!! you will agree with me that nigeria is not ripe for that.Confederation also breeds tribalism because regions will look at other tribes as foreigners(for instance,a southern scholar in the north wouldnt enjoy the same benefits as his northern counterpart,He is gonna pay extra fees like a foreign student, etc)

Moreover,whats the use of a president in a confederal system where he is a puppet and would be likened to a toothless bull dog cos his powers are taken by the state govts!!!, Hope you now understand the meaning of confederation
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 12:56am On Mar 02, 2006
i understand ur fears,but don't u think that over centralisation of power to the president makes the presidency so controversial in nigerian history?

we must not have regional police and army,only govts with a prime minister at the center and not president. i.e a paliamentry system of govt. don't u think it may help us?i don't quite understand what u mean by southern student not feeling at home in a northern part of the country. that has always been the case even today. when i was in secondary school(i schooled at one of the unity schools )the northern students were not paying the same school fees i paid.many of them paid less b/c thier state govt paid for them.even today,getting admission into nigerian universities means different JAMB scores for different students from different parts of the same country!

and by the way, nigeria is not a homogenous society. it is very heterogenous with over 250 tribes and languages.

cheers
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by rikkyjen(m): 1:47am On Mar 02, 2006
My bad i meant heterogenous So far so good the presidential system has been the best.Parliamentary system breeds one -party state and politcs i.e cos cabinet ministers are also the parliamentarians!!!.They only report to the prime-minster,hence they are not subject to srcutiny unlike the current systrem where El-rufai has been questioned by the senate,The senate has passed resolutions on shell,etc.There are checks and balances,as well as separation of powers which makes the system work.

Nigeria doesnt need the parliamentary stuff,unless we are gonna be experiencing Obasanjo/atiku part 2 quarrel.i mean having a prime-minister/president as rulers could cause conflict cos no ones gonna accept to be termed inferior.Have you forgotten balewa/azikiwe's clashing ideas in the first republic.Parliamentary system never worked in the first republic and this led To a civil war ,lets learn from history!!!!
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by toshmann(m): 7:00pm On Mar 02, 2006
i agree with u to an extent, but the failure of the parliamentry system( and indeed the presidential system) was not due to the system in itself but due to the players of the system (i.e politicians). a contibutor to the formulation of the indian constitution warned rightly that no matter how good a constitution is,it will turn out bad if the politicians are bad and no matter how bad a constitution is it may turn out good if the politicians are good.

now, the parliamentry system is cheaper,and it ensures that the prime minister is not too powerful as he has to face the house more frquently to explain issues(not make address like a president will do) i admire the british system when i see blair struggling in parliament to explain his decisions.ministers can also face the senate/house. it has been working for some countries,it may work for ours.

u cant say we should dump it jus b/c it failed in the 60s,presidential system failed in the 80s too.but we know why they failed(politicians)

i think we may choose that system which is cheaper. what do u say?
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Chxta(m): 7:34am On Mar 03, 2006
Some thread this,
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by tumfulu1: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2009
since 2006
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by Dede1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 24, 2009
A poster had feverishly written that Nigerians are too intelligent to fall for anything such as alleged marginalization and full-scale war. I had a seriously doubt if Nigerians are as intelligent as the writer would want us to believe. If the so-called Nigerians are by any means intelligent, why most Nigerians are constantly flipping the threat of war when groups of people in Nigeria agitate for independent state by way of secession?

The intelligent people in places such as USSR and Czechoslovakia never threatened war at the birth of numerous nations due to the disintegration of the two nations. It is a load of insult to the intelligent people of the world to be juxtaposed with Nigerians by a misguided lowlife scumbag.
Re: Is Nigeria On The Verge Of Civil War? by SapeleGuy: 9:54pm On Dec 24, 2009
Those who are afraid are those who can't stand on their own two feet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Should Suspend Tambuwal & Declare His Office Vacant Or Impeach Him / Welcome To Borno State - "home Of Peace" / Fg Unfolds Blueprint On Agricultural Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.