Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,354 members, 7,850,294 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:52 PM

An Advice To The Supporters Of The Aspirants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Advice To The Supporters Of The Aspirants (340 Views)

Are The Supporters of This Man Not Ashamed Of Him? What is this? / Wike: Atiku Is An Elder, I Am The Most Experienced Of All The Aspirants / Federal Fire Service Throwing Up Water To Cool Down Supporters Of PMB In Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Advice To The Supporters Of The Aspirants by GCFRin2034: 5:28am On Jun 15, 2022
I have been observing and following with keen interest the developments in the online space, including interactions between supporters of the various presidential aspirants.
Even though I know that elections are not won on the internet, neither does the opinions of online keyboard warriors matter much in the grand scheme of things; still the internet is a microcosm of the larger society.

Having said that, I would like to extend some words of advice to the various paper-weight zealots and self-appointed campaign managers on Twitter, Nairaland and elsewhere.

1. Your principal has not won the election yet. Don't act like the destination has been reached and they are in Aso Rock already. Come down from your high horse and be level headed and realistic about the challenges that lie ahead. Some of you are boastful of the primaries as a harbinger of things to come; you imagine that party victory somehow equates to victory at the general elections. Hmm

2. Be civil in your discourse, especially when conversing with opposition supporters. Voting in Nigeria is usually done along ethno-religious lines. This means that people usually vote aspirants from their own tribes/religion regardless of whether the opposition presents an actually more qualified candidate or not. No amount of insults you dish out on the opposition supporter will make them deviate from their choice of ethno-religious candidate. Instead, it will only make them double down on their choice. Your best chance at swaying anybody is to engage in genuinely constructive discourse, recognizing that there always will be difference of opinion and nobody owes you an obligation to agree with you. You cannot sway an Hausa person by insulting them, you cannot sway a Yoruba person by insulting them, you cannot sway an Igbo person by insulting them. Same goes for all ethnic groups in Nigeria. If you know this, why not then engage in constructive discourse only to try to actually sway some people.

3. None of the 3 or 4 aspirants is currently certain of winning more than one geopolitical zones. Regardless of what you might tell yourself or others at the moment, this is the truth. Forget what happened in the primaries. That was delegates voting according to instruction. If you consider my point 2 above that voting in this country is done mostly along ethno-religious lines, you'll agree that this is case. You may think this gives Atiku an advantage considering the North as a voting bloc, but there are multiple variables at play that negates whatever numerical advantage he could enjoy.

In short, what I am saying is this is the time to BUILD BRIDGES not to burn them. You don't have to agree but best to come out of any interaction with your personal dignity and sense of honor intact However if you think your man has already won, well go ahead and burn those bridges!

Reasonable comments are welcome. Intellectually challenged commentators , please keep off!

1 Like

Re: An Advice To The Supporters Of The Aspirants by Humulity: 6:08am On Jun 15, 2022
Well said.
Re: An Advice To The Supporters Of The Aspirants by robinso01(m): 6:30am On Jun 15, 2022
Don't lose a friend because of a politician. Election will soon be over, it will remain you and your buds.

(1) (Reply)

Life Is Too Short To Keep Grudges. Forgive And Move On! / Why Igbo Elders Must Denounce Those Calling Okowa Betrayer / INEC Is Not Ready. See This..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.