Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,562 members, 7,850,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:00 AM

Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. (595 Views)

Tinubu’s Assault On Subsidy Is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious — Obahiagbon / Petrol May Hit N800/litre On Subsidy Removal – Marketers / Sanusi: Buhari Should Be Impeached For Spending Millions Of Dollars On Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 5:04pm On Jun 16, 2022
@Subsidywise18 this post is created for you and other well informed and knowledgeable people about how subsidy works.
I do enjoy your posts on matters related to petrol subsidy and the ginormous effect it had on the nation's economy, I will like to extensively know how the system works

1. You do say Nigeria use to take Crude oil to refine outside at a so so price......
a) From my knowledge, the crude oil is embedded in the riverine areas of the country like Niger Delta and needs to be separated to different part through the refinery.
Why taken it outside again for what?

More questions to follow as we proceed...
I'll be glad to have you on this thread.
Thanks.
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 16, 2022
No time to talk. Got to do some other things.

But ye can read these articles

1Fuel subsidy and fake subsidy (2011, but still relevant)

2.The fuel subsidy dilemma (2021)

3.Fuel subsidies in Nigeria: they are bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of politicians.

4.Explainer : How fuel subsidy is impacting Nigeria's economy

5.Academic paper on the matter

In breif, it costs N330 as at April to bring in one liter of fuel into Nigeria. In March 2021 it cost N231, by June 2021, it was N261. However the cost of fuel at the pump is N165. Subsidy has increased from 66 naira per liter in March 2021 to 165 naira per liter in April this year. Cummulatively, we paid 2 trillion naira last year to subsidise fuel, this year we are paying at least N5 TRILLION naira.

Also, subsidies make refining fuel at home not profitable. As we have been subsidisng fuel since 1973, (initally, NNPC was allowed to set prices above the production cost, from the late 1980's NNPC was forced to set prices below the production cost....which forced it to operate at a loss. Subsidy was what was paid to cover the loss, but because NNPC could not make enough of a profit to pay for repairing refineries, and building new ones, the old refineries broke down. And NNPC became dependent on government allocations, which led to corruption and stealing...since government money is comming in regardless of performance.

That's it.
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 7:59am On Jun 17, 2022
subsidywise18:
No time to talk. Got to do some other things.

But ye can read these articles

1Fuel subsidy and fake subsidy (2011, but still relevant)

2.The fuel subsidy dilemma (2021)

3.Fuel subsidies in Nigeria: they are bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of politicians.

4.Explainer : How fuel subsidy is impacting Nigeria's economy

5.Academic paper on the matter

In breif, it costs N330 as at April to bring in one liter of fuel into Nigeria. In March 2021 it cost N231, by June 2021, it was N261. However the cost of fuel at the pump is N165. Subsidy has increased from 66 naira per liter in March 2021 to 165 naira per liter in April this year. Cummulatively, we paid 2 trillion naira last year to subsidise fuel, this year we are paying at least N5 TRILLION naira.

Also, subsidies make refining fuel at home not profitable. As we have been subsidisng fuel since 1973, (initally, NNPC was allowed to set prices above the production cost, from the late 1980's NNPC was forced to set prices below the production cost....which forced it to operate at a loss. Subsidy was what was paid to cover the loss, but because NNPC could not make enough of a profit to pay for repairing refineries, and building new ones, the old refineries broke down. And NNPC became dependent on government allocations, which led to corruption and stealing...since government money is comming in regardless of performance.

That's it.
Why are we bringing fuel into Nigeria? Didn't we have it embedded in Niger Delta?
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 17, 2022
YoobaNesan:

Why are we bringing fuel into Nigeria? Didn't we have it embedded in Niger Delta?

Petrol is refined from crude oil. It does not occur naturally
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 8:55am On Jun 17, 2022
Sure, one of its product.
So because we don't have a functioning refinery to separate/refine crude oil into its various constituents, we have to take it outside (to those with a functioning refinery) to refine at a particular amount per litre? and import the petrol(which is a bye-product). What of other bye-products?
Is that it?
subsidywise18:

Petrol is refined from crude oil. It does not occur naturally
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 17, 2022
YoobaNesan:
Sure, one of its product.
So because we don't have a functioning refinery to separate/refine crude oil into its various constituents, we have to take it outside (to those with a functioning refinery) to refine at a particular amount per litre? and import the petrol(which is a bye-product). What of other bye-products?
Is that it?

Yes.

And if we remove subsidy, it would make refining petrol and the other by products profitable to refine here.

Read my first post again for why refining has broken down here in Nigeria
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 9:21am On Jun 17, 2022
Ok. Thanks I'm enjoying this.
Is it safe to say we couldn't have Quality Education, Incessant strikes, Poor health facilities due to this subsidy.
All these have their effect on the nation's well being.
subsidywise18:

Yes.

And if we remove subsidy, it would make refining petrol and the other by products profitable to refine here.

Read my first post again for why refining has broken down here in Nigeria
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 17, 2022
YoobaNesan:
Ok. Thanks I'm enjoying this.
Is it safe to say we couldn't have Quality Education, Incessant strikes, Poor health facilities due to this subsidy.
All these have their effect on the nation's well being.

No, the extra subsidy money would have helped a bit, assuming it was removed and directed elsewhere but ultimately nigeria has to become free of oil dependency, which is a whole other story.
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 11:08am On Jun 17, 2022
I think Nigeria is now in a Vicious cycle.
For us to be oil independent and be a manufacturing and production hub, it requires quality education and power, which in turn need huge money to finance the two sectors, which will take at least a decade before we can have a feat in this. And a lot of miseducation and sensitisation that 'school-no-be-scam'.

Now where will such money comes from?
Taxes (Individual taxes)? No, there hasn't been efficient tax scheme available since the birth of this country.
Subsidy? Those enjoying it will never I.e the elites. The average masses will never as they see it as the only privilege they have and they
don't know that the subsidy scheme is against them.
Re: Come And Educate Me On Subsidy. by YoobaNesan: 11:27am On Jun 17, 2022
You see I only want you to prove to me with solid and feasible points that Nigeria can still be good.

Because I'm of the opinion that this country cannot be good again when you look at how she has been run.

I thiink the only way to have a good Nigeria is to be independent on Oil and become a Manufacturing Hub which I don't see anyways this can happen.

For Nigeria to be a Manufacturing giant it requires solely Quality Education and stable power.
The education sector is in shambles!
I have a neighbour currently writing WAEC and was telling me how they were been helped in the exam......he was so excited about it.
I was sober, that same exam I wrote in SS2 with excitement and clear my papers.

Nothing can be done to revamp the educational sector sir.......(you can prove me wrong on this)

The rise of immediate millionaires through rubbish means have downtrodden people's interest in education, coupled with foolish people that call themselves musicians.
You will hear someone selling Akara under bridge and were dancing and posted online.....
Boom a rich man will contact him and give her millions of naira, even take him/her abroad, while those in school have no incentive in their academic tussle, all thanks to frustrating lecturers.

How'll you tell me to focus on my academics if a JSS2 drop out can come up with some lyrics and become a millionaire?

One of the thing that destroy this country is Music.
Is has done more harm to youth than nothing else.

(1) (Reply)

Hoodlum Attack: Has Tinubu Ended In The Belly Of The Tiger / No Matter How Angry You Are, Vote For Tinubu- Amaechi Tells Rivers Supporters / Is Nigerians Bunch Of Fools.??? Why Should A Sensible Person Still Support APC??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.