Stats: 3,159,162 members, 7,838,975 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment (4207 Views)

Grant Presidential Pardon To Ibori, Ijaw Group Urges Jonathan - VANGUARD / Northern Leaders Conspired To Sabotage Jonathan – Umeh / Anambra Poll Results: Ekwunife Sacks Ngige From Senate, Humbles Victor Umeh (2) (3) (4)

Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by eros(m): 10:53am On Jul 22, 2011
I hope the guys that voted for Jonathan are happy now? The slowpoke has not been able to do anything meaningful since hr became President.

This is not an Igbo issue but a Nigerian issue. The menace of Customs affects everyone and anyone who transports any form of goods especially from Lagos to other states in the country.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 10:57am On Jul 22, 2011
the law establishing the customs enable them to do this.they are not restricted to borders but can and do inspect companies like Guinness,NBL COCACOLA etc.
in fact their operations are statutory and not subject to executive whims.
they certainly do it across the EU nothing new
this is not an igbo issue so stop the silly sentiment.quite recently they invaded markets in lagos to seize smuggled lace.
the reasoning that [b]we have evaded border checks and should be left alone [/b]would apply to cocaine as well ?
once inside it is no longer contraband ?
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by nasoeb: 11:04am On Jul 22, 2011
This igbo people are beginning to get tribalistic as the Yorubas. what the poo about Igboland and Biafra nonse.nse in this tread.

Mennn you people suck.

@alex-101 why everything you want to prove "na my own better pass" if you are not ready to work out your Problem, then go hug transformer.

If the shi.t you talking about is common, do you think Umeh would have called on the Presidency. why dont you shut up and let those in charge work it out. stop feeling like you are too important , igbo trader igbo trader, without customers will there be any igbo trader. You go share am chop alone after importation.

Is there only igbo traders in Nigeria

mehnnn you people are terrible.

Now if you know you are the most FOOLI.SH AND STUPID person in this forum, Reply or attack my comments

FOO.Ls
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by nasoeb: 11:08am On Jul 22, 2011
This igbos are becoming irritating, tribalistic and sentimental, now i see why the Yorubas hate them so much. always feeling they are Important.

Goats
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 11:16am On Jul 22, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/july/21/national-21-07-2011-013.html

Umeh urges Jonathan to save Igbo traders from Customs’ harassment
From PETRUS OBI, Enugu
Thursday, July 21, 2011

More Stories on This Section
National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, has called on President Goodluck Jonathan to intervene and get the Comptroller-General of Customs to stop incessant harassment of Igbo traders.
Umeh who spoke in Enugu yesterday, noted that the Igbos have been paying heavy tolls on their goods in the country, insisting that the daily seizure of goods being moved around the country by Igbo traders in the name of contraband is worrisome

“It is a clear indication by the customs that they have failed in the discharge of their official duties and require urgent action by the presidency.
All over the world, the activities of Customs and Excise officials are restricted to the borders and entry points; the airports and the seaports, as agents of border control. There is no case of anybody impounding goods within a country; you seize banned goods at the point of entry into any country; but the Customs men would collect bribes at the airports and seaports, and let in banned goods.

this quite simply is false goods are seized and criminal charges brought regularly within the EU often because duty was not paid and for VAT fraud. warehouses are regularly inspected as well as reords.there are very strict regulations on record keeping .
part of the problem of these traders is their fragmented nature (too many small players ) and failure to operate within corporate cultures .sadly like all other nigerians rather than consolidate into cooperatives ,these guys want to own it all and the nigerian consumer is the victim . they can't even negotiate basic warranty rights from their supppliers.
they can't negotiate a structured inspection regime with the Customs
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by ak47mann(m): 11:17am On Jul 22, 2011
nasoeb:

This igbos are becoming irritating, tribalistic and sentimental, now i see why the Yorubas hate them so much. always feeling they are Important.

Goats
is this one ok? na waoo for mental health this days cheesy cheesy
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by hackney(m): 11:20am On Jul 22, 2011
nasoeb:

Goats

so where are you from then ? you child of a pro.sti.tu.te
is your grandfather also your father as usual? ?

For despising me so much for no real tangible reason, i despise you even more.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 11:22am On Jul 22, 2011
nasoeb:

Goats
personally,i love igbos,they are enterprising ,resilient and hardworking. it is true their sense of fashion is puzzling but no one is perfect. grin
igbo kwenu!
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by hackney(m): 11:25am On Jul 22, 2011
Unfortunately, agitation is the only way people can get anything in that dump of a country.
however , when such people clamour for something necessary, other tribes being what they are will try to block it.

Afterall Somebody from my area wanted to widen a lake and build a seaport with his own cash and the FG said no.
is there a limit to how many ports a country should have?  ? ?

Only God knows why africa has so many tribes.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by chino11(m): 11:30am On Jul 22, 2011
What is the FG waiting for before they will commission Onitsha seaport
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 11:39am On Jul 22, 2011
i think onitsha deserves a port (it won't be a sea port) but that has nothing to do with evading duty or importing contraband and failing to keep records or fulfil the other obligations of an importer under the law.these are often beyond the means of sole traders who lack economies of scale and so try to cut corners thus making themselves vulnerable to corrupt officials .perhaps these traders can learn from the chaebols of korea .
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by Geomel: 11:59am On Jul 22, 2011
That is a good development.
We help to build company profile.
www.geomelconsults..com
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by Ojumiii(m): 12:07pm On Jul 22, 2011
This country self nawaoo, why must everything go into tribal but it wasn't like this in the past.

well for me i love my friends, i don't care where they are from or what there believes are, they are my family already and they feel the same for me too.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by redsun(m): 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2011
A tribal society means a primitive society,a society that is not spinning -ie nigeria
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by redsun(m): 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2011
Nigerian customs is one of d attributes of a failed state that nigeria is.They are robbers in uniform like d nigerian police
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by YoruIgbo(m): 12:32pm On Jul 22, 2011
Wage war against custom and they will run from the road period!
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by 1forall: 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2011
Why tribalise everything for Pete's sake? Right from the APGA chairman to the posters here.

No real progress can be made anywhere as long as tribal divisions continue to play a big role in how people think.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by kasiem(m): 1:25pm On Jul 22, 2011
nasoeb:

Goats
man, ur imbecility chez ur father, instead of bringing it alfresco. I can fathom that u want to stir up a strife between igbos and Yorubas, but, ur tactic is totally barmy.
@topic, this belligerency of the custom officials, is one of the reasons behind their frequent assasination. And this reason why some commodities u can get at a paltry sum is being sold at an exploitative rate, thereby, making life miserable for the common man. At the end, every is at the losing end.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by manny4life(m): 1:28pm On Jul 22, 2011
nasoeb:

Goats

Frustration is a big problem, I can't help but pity on you. Igbos are irritating but you are the first person who directly / indirectly patronizes those same irritating people, I wonder what that makes you? Deal with it bro, Igbos are very important to the Nigerian economy and business.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 1:34pm On Jul 22, 2011
everyone is important .
can we cut the abuse and focus.
we need to start manufacturing or play a significant role in the value chain of the things we consume.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by manny4life(m): 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2011
^^^

How do you start manufacturing when the culture and economy you are in is hostile to such practices.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 1:46pm On Jul 22, 2011
that is the question we must tackle ? how do you survive when life is harsh?do you carry on or commit suicide. it is humans that build great nations not jinn.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by nasoeb: 2:07pm On Jul 22, 2011
Igbo kwenu! kwenu!! kwesu unu!!!

ndi ara

See dem faces finish.

i said that only those who have (ara) should attack me. and now its obvious we know dem

Ewu kambia
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2011
please shut up. you have nothing to say.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by Diligence: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2011
It is indeed ironic and hypocritical of those so-called customs officer; callg the same goods they cleared as contraband! Complete BS! The more reason the rot continues in naija!
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by EzeUche(m): 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2011
Customs always harass everyone.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by Panzastrip(m): 7:27pm On Jul 22, 2011
manny4life:

^^^

How do you start manufacturing when the culture and economy you are in is hostile to such practices.
manny4life:

Frustration is a big problem, I can't help but pity on you. Igbos are irritating but you are the first person who directly / indirectly patronizes those same irritating people, I wonder what that makes you? Deal with it bro, Igbos are very important to the Nigerian economy and business.
Thank you
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2011
unfortunately people hate to tell themselves the truth .

whether customs are hypocritical or not is irrelevant contraband is contraband

we need serious trading companies not hundreds of small players who are never in a position to offer any after sales service or replace faulty goods . being a willing tool in the hands of those countries that dump in nigeria takes us nowhere.

customs don't harass people carrying omo and maggi
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by member479760: 11:39am On Jul 23, 2011
why only Igbo?
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aljharem(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2011
nakedall:

why only Igbo?

becos they always complain a lot, tell me how a custom officer would know the difference between hausa, yoruba, ibibio and igbo traders.
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by aribisala0(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23, 2011
ask them.
i suppose
Re: Umeh Urges Jonathan To Save Igbo Traders From Customs’ Harassment by NegroNtns(m): 1:47pm On Jul 23, 2011
<Quote>
if this thing continues it may lead to bloodshed because, traders have vowed not to allow this to continue,” Umeh said.
</quote>

Igbos have sense for trading but very dumb when it comes to politics. This guy is the national chairman of a party that will field candidates for presidential seat.

He is not at deadlock yet but he already threatens bloodshed, one wonders what he will say or do if he reaches a deadlocked.

Very dumb, always putting their cart before the horse. Who wants to vote for a candidate this guy presents, this is political suicide.

Gej Commiserates With Dantata's Family & Hails His Contributions To Nigeria / Your Advice For President Jonathan In 2013. / Jonathan Too Weak, A Total Disappointment – Asari Dokubo

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84