Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? (3457 Views)

Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? / Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by divinemichael(m): 11:01pm On Jun 23, 2022
Note; I don't misunderstand the trinity, I clearly understand that Christ is God in the sense that he is one of the trinity, and consubstantial with God and is infact God's word, and thus God.
My question is how come he gave laws to Moses, and later came to earth to find fault in some of those same laws? Isn't that inconsistent?

5 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Jun 23, 2022
divinemichael:
Note; I l don't misunderstand the trinity, I clearly understand that Christ is God in the sense that he is one of the trinity, and consubstantial with God and is infact God's word, and thus God.

1. My question is how come he gave laws to Moses, and later came to earth to find fault in some of those same laws? Isn't that inconsistent?
1. What particular laws did Jesus Christ supposedly find faults with? undecided

Just so you know, Jesus Christ infact lived His life in total submission and obedience of God's Old Covenant Law of Moses, what is the National Constitution that God handed to the people of Israel when He constituted a nation of them in the Land of Canaan.. undecided

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by AntiChristian: 6:44am On Jun 24, 2022
Abeg how is Jesus Christ God and one of trinity of three Gods often called one?

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:56am On Jun 24, 2022
AntiChristian:

Deuteronomy 6:4
Mark 12:29
John 20:17

Hooooo why you no quote Bible for am now? cheesy
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Janosky: 11:31am On Jun 24, 2022
divinemichael:
Note; I don't misunderstand the trinity, I clearly understand that Christ is God in the sense that he is one of the trinity, and consubstantial with God and is infact God's word, and thus God.
My question is how come he gave laws to Moses, and later came to earth to find fault in some of those same laws? Isn't that inconsistent?

Christ is one of your 3 Gods deities cheesy grin
Trinity na scam... Shine your eyes.

"The word was a god"John 1:1, Emphatic Diaglott.
John 10:33-36, Jesus is a god like men & angels @1 Corinthians 8:4-5.

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Kobojunkie: 12:50pm On Jun 24, 2022
AntiChristian:
While I don't stand for the Trinity theory of men, there are probably more than 3 beings written of as having the essence of God in Scripture. Wisdom happens to be one of such. undecided

Jesus Christ declared Himself that He was of the same essence as God, the Father- John 14 vs 6, - He made this known to His followers. It is OK if you doubt Him, this since you don't even believe in Him. What I am more curious about is why you march yourself from thread to thread as if a judge over those who claim to be Christians when you don't even believe in the God of the Bible. What is the backstory there? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:21pm On Jun 24, 2022
divinemichael:

This is not True!

It is rather He was opening to us some hidden lessons and blessings, in The Law which people being stupid and evil as they usually are, miss.

So, no where did He fault The Law.

And your belief in fault comes from the fact that your pastors have been teaching you this, whereas, they too are stupid themselves since they were not able to decode what He was saying and therefore took the easy, lazy way out of explaining this wonderful hidden teaching!
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:27pm On Jun 24, 2022
AntiChristian:

When the bank takes your money, or your car is stolen from the bank premises, now you would know that they are ONE for even the gateman who works for them is also "the Bank!

It's as simple as that!

Jesus Christ is The Same Lord God in Genesis 2:4

Different from The Highest, Called God in Genesis 1 upto Genesis 2:3

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by famozine1: 7:13pm On Jun 24, 2022
Jesus is God according to the Bible

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by xproducer: 1:12am On Jun 25, 2022
divinemichael:

---

OP raised a supposed issue, which is a non-issue, and then disappeared, leaving a few to unprofitably contend over that which is settled in and by the holy word of GOD!

For the record, the Lord God YESHUA, the CHRIST came and set the record straight... being a fulfillment of the Law, which ceremonies, practices and/or sacrifices all point to HIM as the One and Only Savior of mankind from the righteous wrath of GOD to come in necessary judgment of sin.

"For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" - Hebrews 10:1-10

+++

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by AntiChristian: 6:52am On Jun 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
While I don't stand for the Trinity theory of men, there are probably more than 3 beings written of as having the essence of God in Scripture. Wisdom happens to be one of such. undecided

Jesus Christ declared Himself that He was of the same essence as God, the Father- John 14 vs 6, - He made this known to His followers. It is OK if you doubt Him, this since you don't even believe in Him. What I am more curious about is why you march yourself from thread to thread as if a judge over those who claim to be Christians when you don't even believe in the God of the Bible. What is the backstory there? undecided

Shebi your Bible claims God created humans in his own image and likeness.

So we are all of the same essense as God according to the Bible. If our chromosomes are similar to that of apes, chimps and monkeys then God's should be similar according to the Bible.

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by AntiChristian: 6:57am On Jun 26, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

When the bank takes your money, or your car is stolen from the bank premises, now you would know that they are ONE for even the gateman who works for them is also "the Bank!

It's as simple as that!

Jesus Christ is The Same Lord God in Genesis 2:4

Different from The Highest, Called God in Genesis 1 upto Genesis 2:3

So he was praying to himself putting his head on the floor?

Jesus can't be a deceiver na!

He said "our father who is in heaven..." not on earth o!

He even called Him his God and LORD.

How will Jesus have a God and LORD?

My God my God why have you forsaken me? Who forsook who? God forsook himself?

This is my son in whom I'm well pleased.

Who is talking here? The father! To who? Jesus! Who is Jesus? The same father!

Are you sane?

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by waldigit: 8:52am On Jun 26, 2022
divinemichael:
There's no flaw with God. Only he is a dispensational being. There is time for every purpose and purpose for everything with Him. Each program is implented at it's target time, then He moves on to the next. But the nature of men is resistance to change that's where we have problem comprehending God.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:16am On Jun 26, 2022
AntiChristian:

My God my God why have you forsaken me? Who forsook who? God forsook himself?..

Are you sane?

Come on cast your stupidity aside. This is Obviously M.D speaking to C.E.O.

And this below is C.E.O Speaking and confirming the Authority of the M.D, His Son!

"This is my son in whom I'm well pleased. Listen to Him"

It's as simple as that.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by AntiChristian: 9:21am On Jun 26, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Come on cast your stupidity aside. This is Obviously M.D speaking to C.E.O.

And this below is C.E.O Speaking and confirming the Authority of the M.D

"This is my son in whom I'm well pleased""

It's as simple as that.

Abeg i don't exhibit any spiritual madness. It's evident you are in another realm.

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Kobojunkie: 12:12pm On Jun 26, 2022
AntiChristian:
Shebi your Bible claims God created humans in his own image and likeness.

So we are all of the same essense as God according to the Bible. If our chromosomes are similar to that of apes, chimps and monkeys then God's should be similar according to the Bible.
When you take a picture of yourself with your camera, is that picture of the same essence as you? Does that image of yoi have muscle fires, blood vessels, nerves, organs, cells, chromosomes etc., exactly as you do? Come on now.... this isn't rocket science.. undecided

God made man in His image can never translate to man having the essence of God. You know that. Your DNA being similar to that of apes, chimps and monkeys etc., is simply evidence pointing to you all having the same castor and nothing more. undecided
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Maynman: 12:27pm On Jun 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. What particular laws did Jesus Christ supposedly find faults with? undecided

Just so you know, Jesus Christ infact lived His life in total submission and obedience of God's Old Covenant Law of Moses, what is the National Constitution that God handed to the people of Israel when He constituted a nation of them in the Land of Canaan.. undecided

“Submission” here means master/slave right? Same way a wife submits to husband.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Maynman: 12:31pm On Jun 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
When you take a picture of yourself with your camera, is that picture of the same essence as you? Does that image of yoi have muscle fires, blood vessels, nerves, organs, cells, chromosomes etc., exactly as you do? Come on now.... this isn't rocket science.. undecided

God made man in His image can never translate to man having the essence of God. You know that. Your DNA being similar to that of apes, chimps and monkeys etc., is simply evidence pointing to you all having the same castor and nothing more. undecided

I didn’t make the picture/graphics, I didn’t make the camera. I didn’t make the processing that does it, did your god also did not make everything in human?

Your analogy is flawed.

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2023
divinemichael:
God wanted a Nation of His own in the world of men, so He chose to make one for Himself of the people of Israel. He brought them out of Egypt, marking them for this purpose, and then He gave to them the Law of Moses, the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan — YHWH— and bid them Obey His Law in other to remain in agreement with Him. undecided

Jesus Christ never faulted the Old Law of Moses - YHWH. He, Jesus Christ, equally lived His life here on earth in submission and obedience to that very Law which is the National Constitution of the State of Israel in the Land of Canaan -- the agreement that is named YHWH. All of the righteous men of Old, including those who lived during the time of Jesus Christ, did the same as Jesus Christ did — they lived in submission and obedience to the Law of Moses -- YHWH -- obtaining God's righteousness by His standard as a result. Jesus Christ also informed you in Matthew 5 vs 15 - 19 that Heaven and Earth will pass away before a jot of the Law will pass, so whoever fed you the lie that Jesus Christ spoke against the Old Law is one who is against Jesus Christ aka antiChrist. undecided
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by CodeTemplar: 3:20am On Feb 25, 2023
Only one who was and is, can do that.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by OkCornel(m): 4:41am On Feb 25, 2023
AntiChristian:

My God my God why have you forsaken me? Who forsook who? God forsook himself?

This is my son in whom I'm well pleased.

Are you sane?

You didn’t understand Dtruthspeaker’s analogy.

He’s explaining “ONE” in the context of unity, and not a literal number.

For example, a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife and they shall be ONE flesh.

ONE in this context is unity.

Jesus prayed in John 17 v 22 that all believers should be ONE (be United) just as he and the Father are ONE (United).

It doesn’t mean believer A is the same person as believer B. It actually means they are working together in unity.

John 17 v 22-23
22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one
23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

So to clear up the confusion, Jesus is not the same person as the Father. He is one with the Father because he works in unity with the Father.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 5:15am On Feb 25, 2023
waldigit:

There's no flaw with God. Only he is a dispensational being. There is time for every purpose and purpose for everything with Him. Each program is implented at it's target time, then He moves on to the next. But the nature of men is resistance to change that's where we have problem comprehending God.
So why was yahweh all very violent in the old testament and then suddenly nice and caring in the new? Isnt he the 'Unchanheable Changer'?

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Maynman: 5:51am On Feb 25, 2023
waldigit:

Yahweh has nothing to do with the New Testament.

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 6:32am On Feb 25, 2023
Maynman:

Yahweh has nothing to do with the New Testament.
No wonder there wasn't wanton bloodshed in the NT

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by Maynman: 6:34am On Feb 25, 2023
jaephoenix:

No wonder there wasn't wanton bloodshed in the NT

They were trying to push an agenda, they had to be careful and do lovey dovey.

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 6:39am On Feb 25, 2023
Maynman:

They were trying to push an agenda, they had to be careful and do lovey dovey.
Yeah grin
Unfortunately it was too obvious to every human with a brain(except of course the mentally inept chrestus folks)

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by OkCornel(m): 6:56am On Feb 25, 2023
Smh, we've got folks running around with the understanding the God of the Old Testament was blood thirsty.

Same set of people believe in justice. Quite contradictory isn't it?

1. They blame God for killing the first born of the Egyptians, but say nothing about the Hebrew male babies thrown into the Nile to feed the crocodiles.

2. They are quick to blame God for instructing Saul to kill off the Amalekites yet, they forget these same Amalekites almost wiped out a defenseless Israel that just cross the red sea.

I can go on and on with biblical and historical accounts. It's a shame people see one side of the coin and cry foul.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by OkCornel(m): 6:58am On Feb 25, 2023
jaephoenix:

So why was yahweh all very violent in the old testament and then suddenly nice and caring in the new? Isnt he the 'Unchanheable Changer'?

When Yahweh executes judgment and justice he's blood thirsty.
When Yahweh does nothing, he's weak and powerless (you didn't say this, but I've seen this thought process countless times on this forum).

Smh.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 7:16am On Feb 25, 2023
OkCornel:
Smh, we've got folks running around with the understanding the God of the Old Testament was blood thirsty.

Same set of people believe in justice. Quite contradictory isn't it?

1. They blame God for killing the first born of the Egyptians, but say nothing about the Hebrew male babies thrown into the Nile to feed the crocodiles.

2. They are quick to blame God for instructing Saul to kill off the Amalekites yet, they forget these same Amalekites almost wiped out a defenseless Israel that just cross the red sea.

I can go on and on with biblical and historical accounts. It's a shame people see one side of the coin and cry foul.
What a weak ass defense of yahweh's cruelty.
So he asked the israelites to retaliate in the OT but the same yahweh 'declared turn the other cheek when slapped' in the NT.
Let’s consider three categories of Old Testament texts that are morally problematic:
the “crimes” for which God prescribes the death penalty,God’s anger and wrath in punishing his people, and God’s command to the Israelites to commit genocide.
The death penalty. There are numerous “crimes” for which God, through the Law of Moses, requires the death penalty. Among these are sacrificing to a god other than Yahweh (Exodus 22:20), persistent rebelliousness on the part of a child (Deuteronomy 21:18–21), a child who hits or curses his or her parents (Exodus 21:15 and 17), working on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:2), premarital sexual intercourse (Deuteronomy 22:13–21), and the requirement for a priest to burn his daughter alive if she became a prostitute (Leviticus 21:9).

God’s anger and wrath. In the Old Testament, God’s anger repeatedly burns against his people for their disobedience. At times, the punishment he dispenses seems particularly harsh, unjust, and disproportionate. Let’s consider just one example.

In 2 Samuel 24, we find that King David decided to take a census of the men of fighting age. The prophet Gad was sent to David to announce God’s displeasure with the taking of the census. The punishment for David’s sin: “The Lord sent a pestilence on Israel from that morning until the appointed time; and seventy thousand of the people died” (2 Samuel 24:15). David makes a decision that does not please God, and God kills 70,000 Israelites for it? How could this action ever be reconciled with a God of mercy, compassion, justice, and love?

Genocide in the name of God. I’ll mention one last category of scriptures related to the violence of God: those that describe the conquest of Canaan. At the time the Israelites entered the land to conquer it, Canaan was populated with small city-states or kingdoms made up of various ethnic groups speaking similar languages. God promised Israel that he would give them this land, but to do so these people had to be displaced.

This is problematic enough, but God wasn’t asking the Israelites to forcibly relocate them to other lands. God instructed the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child among these Canaanites. In Deuteronomy 20:16–18, Moses gives these instructions: “As for the towns of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you must not let anything that breathes remain alive. You shall annihilate them—the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites—just as the Lord your God has commanded.”

The Hebrew word for “annihilate” has as its root herem (also transliterated as cherem or sometimes charam). The classic Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon notes the meaning of the word in English is “to exterminate.” It also has the sense of devoting something to God by completely destroying it. This is sometimes translated as “ban”—a word that in this context means “given to God by complete destruction.”

In Joshua 6:20b–21, you can read about what this looked like as the Israelite army entered the town of Jericho: the Israelites “charged straight ahead into the city and captured it. Then they devoted to destruction by the edge of the sword all in the city, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and donkeys.” After the destruction of Jericho, next would come the people of Ai, then the people of Makkedah and Libnah and Lachish and Eglon and Debir—every man, woman, and child slaughtered and dedicated to God. In the end, the entire population of thirty-one city-states was utterly destroyed.

I suspect that most people who read the Bible either don’t think about this, gloss over these sections, or skip them altogether. I was fourteen years old when I first read the Book of Joshua. The stories didn’t trouble me at that time. They were epic battles with great story lines and heroic figures. Who doesn’t enjoy reading about how the walls of Jericho “came tumbling down”? Behind each story was the idea that God was fighting on behalf of his people. I suspect that’s how most people read these stories today.
Are the above actions of israelites retaliatory? No! So your defense is so weak, it can't form a smoke

4 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by waldigit: 7:21am On Feb 25, 2023
jaephoenix:

Dispensation of Grace of Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 7:21am On Feb 25, 2023
OkCornel:

When Yahweh executes judgment and justice he's blood thirsty.
When Yahweh does nothing, he's weak and powerless (you didn't say this, but I've seen this thought process countless times on this forum).

Smh.
He kills folks for letting the ark slip an inch, didn't he. He killed a man for doing coitus interruptus. He killed children who called Elijah bald. He killed folks that work on sabbath etc
What kind of justifications do you have for these actions?

4 Likes

Re: If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? by jaephoenix(m): 7:23am On Feb 25, 2023
waldigit:

Dispensation of Grace of Lord Jesus Christ.
So he changes during dispensations. So then he aint the Unchangeable Changer.Simple grin
And one more thing, didn't he foresee all those events as an omniscient being? cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Waking At 12am At Night Every Time. / Please Answer This! / South Africans Vow To Sack Christ Embassy… As Authorities Humiliate Chris Oyakhi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.