Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,716 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Emotion Does Not Know Morality - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Emotion Does Not Know Morality (1490 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / 7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotion Does Not Know Morality by newmi(m): 1:30pm On Jul 24, 2011
Emotion does not know morality neither does it understand "right" or "wrong" it requires self-discipline for it to recognize the limits.
What do you think about these thoughts
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 24, 2011
the BRAIN is the tool that balances emotion VS morality (right/wrong). any person who decides to disregard the signals their intelligent BRAINS sends them, is a damn fool!
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 6:39pm On Jul 24, 2011
Emotion and intellect are both functions of the soul. They know one another and affect one another. Like if you love something, you may know more about it. One thing must be noted though, EMOTION is stronger than REASON.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by KaKaww: 8:14pm On Jul 24, 2011
Image123:

Emotion and intellect are both functions of the soul. They know one another and affect one another. Like if you love something, you may know more about it. One thing must be noted though, EMOTION is stronger than REASON.
Matt 26:38-39 42
Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” - EMOTION?
And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” - REASONING?
Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” - REASONING POWER?
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by yommyuk: 8:44pm On Jul 24, 2011
Emotion is passion. Passion can be zeal, obsession, excitement or craze. Common types of emotions are Anger and Love. Both have negative and positive aspects.

Love
There is godly love and ungodly love. Loving your neighbour as you love yourself is what the positive side of love is all about, while ungodly love is loving things that the Lord detests. e.g . . . . loving another man’s wife, same sex relationship, love of the world, Love of money are part of the negative characteristic of love.

Anger

Proverb 14:26
People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness.

Anger can cloud judgement. That is why it is important for the wise to reflect on their actions before responding. But let us not ignore the fact that there is righteous anger. Jesus Christ demonstrated anger as he threw the money changers out of the temple. Likewise I see nothing wrong in venting anger on a fellow human being who wants to sow weed among your wheat.

To the topic at hand “Emotion Does Not Know Morality”, a mature Christian must refute this statement. When we are talking about morality, we mean ethics, morals, principles and integrity. If your emotion crosses the boundaries of these key concepts, such emotion is ungodly and unrighteous.

My 2 cents.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 7:15am On Jul 25, 2011
Ka-Kaww!:

Matt 26:38-39 42
Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” - EMOTION?
And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” - REASONING?
Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” - REASONING POWER?

Some David beats up Goliath in some instances, but generally, EMOTION is stronger than REASON. BTW, Jesus overcame His 'emotion' by a surrender to God, a death to self and His own will which was already influenced by His emotion.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 11:43am On Jul 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the only truth in what is said above is the surrender of Jesus to God his Sender, Maker, Nourisher, Cherisher, etc Lord.

Jesus had no choice in the matter if he was to be an obedient slave servant messenger prophet [as] to the children of Israel.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2011
^
No one can truly surrender to God without giving up his own self and will. It's what all true God's children do, and Jesus is our perfect example.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 8:37pm On Jul 25, 2011
^ you continue to deceive yourselves; God is not the father of any of you people, but your Creator, unless your mothers are His wives.

i am certain that you will not affirm it in clear conscience. only a bastard therefore claim another father. my father is my father. my father's father is my grandfather. it is impossible that my grandfather, my father and i have the same father, who we have equal access to, in the same way.

if this is impossible with mere mortals, how do mortals say they have this impossible relationship with The Immortal, Uniquely One God? is being His creature a thing of shame or position of humility of acceptance of the reality? when did Jesus become your perfect example instead of Paul who you quote day and night?

Jesus of the bibles killed being a perfect example when he cried out in complaint 'my God, my God, my has Thou forsaken me?'. my guy that is not the statement of the willing; the little son of Abraham whose father surprised him with a demand to be slaughtered had more 'submission of will'. so was John the son of Zacharias who did not complain as he was about to be beheaded. in the scale of submitting self in will to God, these two are head and shoulders higher than the complainant if he complained. i say he was not there to die as God supported him with holy spirit; angel Gabriel, and he had protection and lifted to heavens.

no prophet ever said a thing that God will not accept. he would not be allowed to utter it. look at Joseph; his dream came true. how can Jesus be an example if you said God refused his many prayers?
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 10:03pm On Jul 25, 2011
^see nectar, you have more issues than i'm available to deal with. Plus you have problems with your idea of the Bible. you pick the parts that YOU FEEL favours your argument and try to discredit the parts that clearly make you invalid. That attitude won't take you anywhere important.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 11:27pm On Jul 25, 2011
@Image123; pick your part of the bible and let talk about it.

this may take you to a place important for your ultimate destination.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by tpia5: 3:37am On Jul 26, 2011
@ topic

true.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 8:54am On Jul 26, 2011
@necta
Like i said i'm not available to treat your issues but let me throw one proof.
"Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: " (John 8:54).
Clear enough, now let's see your stammer.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 9:13am On Jul 26, 2011
^ if this above came from Jesus, then you have to affirm that Mary is not only the mother of Jesus, but also literally the wife of his 'father'.

we know that Mary is the actual mother of Jesus. This is a fact.

we do not know if God is the actual father of Jesus [i say He is not his father but his Creator; this is a fact] since you also claim that God is your father like every Christians do, also the ethnic children of Israel make the same.

@image123; i know that your father is a nigerian. so is your mother. it will be interesting if you can tell us how moma met up with Jehovah and papa was not there, yet he accepted your pregnancy.

there are many of you people around the world claiming God as your father, saying Jesus is also His son. Yet none of you every stopped to think who has more right to be the son of God if He were to have any among man; Adam without Mother even or Jesus who had Mary to nurse him? Who is the daughter of God except Eve there there were to be any, even any child, another child, even before Jesus who will be one of many? Look in the Bibles, you will find plenty children, even first born[s], etc.

The One Who knows if He has children or not is God. And He says no children, except all are creatures.

Jesus himself killed the verse that you put up by his saying 'my God, my God. . .'. a true son would have said 'my father, my father. . . .'

now its your all day turn to stammer. this is getting good.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Joagbaje(m): 11:17am On Jul 26, 2011
@newmi

I don't know if i get you well. Emotions are neutra in themselves, but the use and expression of them is what determines right or wrong. Anger is not bad in itself. But how you and what use use it for determines morality.

Ephesians 4:26
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by nlMediator: 1:26pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^^ The topic puzzled me too. But I guess he was trying to say we should not be ruled by our feelings.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by nlMediator: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
Image123:

Some David beats up Goliath in some instances, but generally, EMOTION is stronger than REASON. BTW, Jesus overcame His 'emotion' by a surrender to God, a death to self and His own will which was already influenced by His emotion.

I would think it's the other way round, i.e. emotion occasionally beats reason. Otherwise, reason generally dominates emotions. The only people whose emotion is stronger than their reason are people with some form of mental or emotional disorder, such as obsessive compulsive disorder, kleptomania, addictions. For normal people, reason rules everyday, most of the time. The few occasions when emotions rule over reason are usually when reason was suspended on its own, not because it was overpowered by emotion, taking the person to the point where emotion then dominates. E.g., people committing sexual sins. Young man knows he shouldn't be alone with that girl, in a dark room, with nobody around. He convinces himself that nothing would happen. One thing leads to another. He doesn't want to go too far. But he doesn't seem to be able to reason himself out of it. He commits a sin. Well, the problem was that he didn't use reason properly - at the initial stage, not when emotion has taken charge.

Monumental accomplishments have taken place in life by people using their reason, subjecting their emotions to their reason or employing the emotions to serve the end of their reason-engineered endeavor. So, they ignore pain, taunts, etc or embrace joy, etc. Contrast with Nigeria. Where emotions tend to rule - crying (even in church), smiling while suffering, anger at no one in particular, etc. These things may not be bad in themselves, but they shouldn't rule over reason, or use of the brain, if real progress is to be expected. And if God had designed it that they'd dominate reason, and make man work extra hard to get reason on top of them, man's lot would have been far worse.

But Glory be to our Loving God!
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Patsey: 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2011
IT'S A PITY THAT ON NAIRALAND THEMES REQUIRING INTELLECTUAL DEBATES/CONVERSATIONS ARE SIMPLY DERAILED BY BIBLE AND QURANIC TOUTING ZEALOTS. I WONDER HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD PASS GCSE RELIGIOUS STUDIES BECAUSE THEY'LL SIMPLY BE PREACHING RATHER THAN CRITICALLY ASSESS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND DOGMAS. MAY BE WE SHOULD HAVE A FORUM CALLED INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSES ON NAIRALAND. I'M, HOWEVER, KEEN TO HEAR FROM PSYCHOLOGISTS ON THIS INTERESTING TOPIC.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by tpia5: 5:04pm On Jul 26, 2011
in an ideal world, emotions are subject to reason. In the actual world, they're not.

laws exist because there's a need to address the imbalance which is often inevitable.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by UyiIredia(m): 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2011
I do not quite agree. We react (with our emotions) to right or wrong. Keep in mind the fact that there are +ve emotions e.g love and -ve emotions e.g anger. This tells me that emotions do carry morality. I would go as far as saying that emotions engender morality.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2011
@nlMediator
It takes 'DISCIPLINE' for reason to overcome emotion, and we don't have many disciplined people in the world. On the general, and by default emotion is stronger than reason.

@necta
i see you've been stammering, can't even pick much from the stammer. Can you try to sing it or something? From the little i could pick sha, the Bible says Mary was the wife of His 'father', what the Bible doesn't say is that Mary was the wife of His Father. You don't have to be a wife to be a mother do you?
And see you already disbelieving the scripture i quoted. So you believe He said "My God my God" but don't see Him say "Father into your hands I commend my spirit" OR "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".
i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.@nlMediator
It takes 'DISCIPLINE' for reason to overcome emotion, and we don't have many disciplined people in the world. On the general, and by default emotion is stronger than reason.

@necta
i see you've been stammering, can't even pick much from the stammer. Can you try to sing it or something? From the little i could pick sha, the Bible says Mary was the wife of His 'father', what the Bible doesn't say is that Mary was the wife of His Father. You don't have to be a wife to be a mother do you?
And see you already disbelieving the scripture i quoted. So you believe He said "My God my God" but don't see Him say "Father into your hands I commend my spirit" OR "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".
i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by yommyuk: 11:31pm On Jul 26, 2011
Image123:

@nlMediator

@necta
i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.@nlMediator

@necta
i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.
cool

Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 12:04am On Jul 27, 2011
@Image123; « #20 on: Today at 08:42:46 PM »
Image123 is probably stammering so terribly that he is now double post. whats wrong, man? The real God is keeping people straight as an arrow. its the fake God [god] that keeps people confused. only such a mind will post as below; twice.

[Quote]@nlMediator

@necta
i see you've been stammering, can't even pick much from the stammer. Can you try to sing it or something? From the little i could pick sha,  the Bible says Mary was the wife of His 'father', what the Bible doesn't say is that Mary was the wife of His Father. You don't have to be a wife to be a mother do you?[/Quote]from the bold, are you sure you are alright? and to what follows, a mother who is not a wife is a concubine and her child is a bastard. bastard does not have the right of inheritance. what are the relations of Mary and her son Jesus to Yahweh/Jehovah, again?

[Quote]And see you already disbelieving the scripture i quoted. So you believe He said "My God my God" but don't see Him say "Father into your hands I commend my spirit" OR "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"[/Quote]Jews in their racist and supremacy minds in the bibles turned God and Guidance from Him to their own national and tribal identities in a sense of disadvantage to others around the world. they forgot that before them God and His Supreme Guidance were known by Adam and his mate Eve and their righteous son Abel and progeny in generations after him. That included Enoch and later Noah. So the jews when it came to them, after the common patriach that they had with Arabs of Makka where Muhammad [as] was a product; Abraham, the grand children or even great great grandchildren of Jacob began to call themselves children of God. read your bibles and tell me a verse where Abraham, Isaac, Jacod, even Joseph ever said God is his father. then show me a verse where Moses or Aaron said that he is son of God. Now confirm to be that Jesus is the only one in his time who is the son of God and the nations of Israel were not, sons and daughters of their own individual fathers. Even the sons of God your bibles say came down to get the daughters of man pregnant.

finally Jesus said father [a generic statement] in that verse, while he says 'my God', a more personal thing. even if he had said 'my father', it will not make any difference because every john doe and jane doe in the bibles, as long as he or she is jewish is child of Yahweh, even Yahweh; read what Jesus said: is it not in your book that you are Gods?. its your conscience, man. muddle it up.

[Quote]i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.[/Quote]i know man. i know. it is me who is insincere when i know that my father is a nigerian, the man who my mother had relationship with, not a fling but in marriage. or how is a father a father and a child of a mother is not a bastard? i also know that i am blind to see that 3 cant be 1 or 1 cant be 3 wholes.

this below is exactly as what i responded to above. whats wrong with that mind posting twice the same thing in the same post?
[Quote]@nlMediator

@necta
i see you've been stammering, can't even pick much from the stammer. Can you try to sing it or something? From the little i could pick sha,  the Bible says Mary was the wife of His 'father', what the Bible doesn't say is that Mary was the wife of His Father. You don't have to be a wife to be a mother do you?
i really don't have time now for your insincerity and blindness.[/Quote]
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by newmi(m): 9:14pm On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

in an ideal world, emotions are subject to reason. In the actual world, they're not.

laws exist because there's a need to address the imbalance which is often inevitable.
when reason is submerged in émotions most times regrets is the obvious outcome at that point thats when you start hearing things like: it was the devil who made me do such and such. . . when reason fails to tame emotion discipline is the only way out.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by tpia5: 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^true.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Biox: 11:28pm On Jul 27, 2011
@newmi
Interesting post, depending on a person the said topic could be two sided,but all the same this is interesting it's worth looking into.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by newmi(m): 11:46pm On Jul 27, 2011
Biox:

@newmi
Interesting post, depending on a person the said topic could be two sided,but all the same this is interesting it's worth looking into.
tanx
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by newmi(m): 12:04am On Jul 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

@newmi

I don't know if i get you well. Emotions are neutra in themselves, but the use and expression of them is what determines right or wrong. Anger is not bad in itself. But how you and what use use it for determines morality.

Ephesians 4:26
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

sure you got my point émotion in itself isn't evil or good itself is neutral but you see in its neutrality it does not know know how to measure what is right or wrong that explains why à man out anger will slap his wife and regretfully blame it on thé devil if only he had held himself in-discipline in thé form of restrain all of the regrets would have been avoided.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 5:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Image123; « #20 on: Today at 08:42:46 PM »
Image123 is probably stammering so terribly that he is now double post. whats wrong, man? The real God is keeping people straight as an arrow. its the fake God [god] that keeps people confused. only such a mind will post as below; twice.

from the bold, are you sure you are alright? and to what follows, a mother who is not a wife is a concubine and her child is a bastard. bastard does not have the right of inheritance. what are the relations of Mary and her son Jesus to Yahweh/Jehovah, again?

Jews in their racist and supremacy minds in the bibles turned God and Guidance from Him to their own national and tribal identities in a sense of disadvantage to others around the world. they forgot that before them God and His Supreme Guidance were known by Adam and his mate Eve and their righteous son Abel and progeny in generations after him. That included Enoch and later Noah. So the jews when it came to them, after the common patriach that they had with Arabs of Makka where Muhammad [as] was a product; Abraham, the grand children or even great great grandchildren of Jacob began to call themselves children of God. read your bibles and tell me a verse where Abraham, Isaac, Jacod, even Joseph ever said God is his father. then show me a verse where Moses or Aaron said that he is son of God. Now confirm to be that Jesus is the only one in his time who is the son of God and the nations of Israel were not, sons and daughters of their own individual fathers. Even the sons of God your bibles say came down to get the daughters of man pregnant.

finally Jesus said father [a generic statement] in that verse, while he says 'my God', a more personal thing. even if he had said 'my father', it will not make any difference because every john doe and jane doe in the bibles, as long as he or she is jewish is child of Yahweh, even Yahweh; read what Jesus said: is it not in your book that you are Gods?. its your conscience, man. muddle it up.

i know man. i know. it is me who is insincere when i know that my father is a nigerian, the man who my mother had relationship with, not a fling but in marriage. or how is a father a father and a child of a mother is not a bastard? i also know that i am blind to see that 3 cant be 1 or 1 cant be 3 wholes.

this below is exactly as what i responded to above. whats wrong with that mind posting twice the same thing in the same post?
And so necta stammered again and again.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Sweetnecta: 4:31am On Jul 29, 2011
^^^^^^^^^ if that was stammering, what is double writing in a single post [example of double writing by image123; necta stammers again and again. necta stammers again and again]?

tell me what that is? it has to be worse than stammering because that is total confusion.
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by Image123(m): 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
necta necta, repetition is for emphasis, though the repetition of my posts was due to network issues from an hand-held device. Stammer is speech defect very much akin to the way you, necta, writes(the new Image dictionary confirmed).
Re: Emotion Does Not Know Morality by newmi(m): 10:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
Emotion is a neutral force or energy always seeking expressive platforms but it can be tamed, only that sometimes most people allow themselves to be overcomed by it such that thereafter they are only left with loads and loads of regrets. ln fact for some category of people they are in actual reality in sometimes form of a bondage and have become "slave" to and of their Emotions

(1) (2) (Reply)

T.b Joshua Predicts That Nigeria May Not Qualify For Nations Cup This Sat Against Guinea If: / The "flesh" And God's "prescription" / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.