Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,755 members, 7,827,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy (29656 Views)

FG Owes NNPC ₦‎2.8 Trillion Spent On Petrol Subsidy - Mele Kyari / Peter Obi Speaks On PDP-APC Clash At Dei-Dei Market / Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Af0nja: 4:46pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:

Lol It still shows he lacks knowledge and understanding of fuel subsidy.

Oil importation accounts for 50% of Nigeria's forex spends. It means the devaluation of Naira is largely because of oil importation.

The bigger issue is fuel importation itself. That is what needs to be addressed and subsidy will be gone! PO focused on symptoms, while neglecting the disease itself.

In other words, you believe made in Nigeria fuel will come cheaper with the current economic state of the nation?? I doubt you actually understand it.

This is PO's stance; halt the expenditure on fuel subsidy and channel it to increase budget allocation for other important sectors like power, education and health. This means oil importers will sell at unsubsidized rate, but the government can make this light for the citizens by providing other social securities like improved power, etc.

This is like giving back the subsidy expenses to the people.

The previous administrations that have tried to remove subsidy, did they solve the problem of fuel importation? I will not be surprised if imported fuel end up being cheaper than made in Nigeria even without subsidy.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 4:47pm On Jul 06, 2022
Samuelnze:
Don't you know that he has opponents? Do you want his opponents to know the solution,wait until he wins election,then you will see watsup.cheers

Lol this is crap.

We should just assume he has the solution?

Are you guys serious at all?

He has no solution! He just wants to replace fuel subsidy with others to reduce the effect.

It won't work
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:
. You are now making a fool of yourself. I suggest you quit!

when u have nothing sensible to say ...this is what it result to
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by hush15: 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

How can what is being used to siphon our common wealth be a way of giving back to Nigerians! Where is the rationale

The cost of giving me 1litre of fuel which is even at my own expense is unsustainable because If you say i pay less for for fuel but can't enjoy quality education, good healthcare, safety of lives and property or even basic infrastructure because the money that could be used to fund these is been siphoned thru subsidy, how is that giving back?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Perfectbeing(m): 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

You guys just come out with hatred to discredit someone without listening to what someone is saying, he said he will not remove subsidy without making an alternative for subsidy removal.

Don't destroy an old bridge till a new one is complete for use....
If the old bridge is gulping too much money, where will the money for the new bridge come from?

I support subsidy removal. No buts. No ifs. Just remove the damn thing
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by abdul23(m): 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2022
Thank you Peter Obi. From today I am now Obedient. I needed someone to say this thing for a long while. But it seems everyone is enjoying the status quo. Thank you for providing an alternative.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by ThothHermes: 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

This guy sensationalizes everything.

He does not address issues to a logical end.

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

That is the only way subsidy can be addressed.

Peter Obi is just a noisemaker
Let the other candidates bring out their own solutions to the problems then. Only one candidate is talking solutions. The others are plotting to rig.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2022
Excelloque:

Obi is not a noise maker. He said he will offer something different. That means he has a plan. What if his plan is what you suggested? It is better he keeps some of his plans to himself till we are close to the elections. He can present them during presidential debates.
Whatever you call Obi, he is still the only presidential candidate talking about our problems and proffering solutions. He is the only one who has demonstrated both willingness and readiness to tackle Nigeria's myriad problems

No sir

We should not gamble with assumptions.

We have been doing that since 1999.

We must vote based on clarity of ideas and programmes.

If you are not willing to tell us in details how you intend to solve specific issues, we won't trust you. We have wasted too many years, gambling with these politicians.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shortIGBOman: 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2022
ekineme:

You need mental Evaluation if your problem with Peter Obi is because he is Igbo and not because he is not the best candidate, this is National issue and bringing Tribe into it says alot about your personality.

After una insult us, insult our beautiful Country. Una still wan become President of the Country u refer to as Zoo and shithole. That can never happen. Igbo can never rule this Country.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Qtrpst4: 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
Whole his own son heads to the Senate and his daughter becomes the iyaloja general of nigeria

Paullo19:

Tinubu will do his by recruiting 50million youths into the military and feeding them with corn,. Cassava and agbado.. ���
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Perfectbeing(m): 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2022
IgOga:
For a nation that has crude oil in abundance.....build more refineries, invite investment in refineries, encourage state governments especially oil producing states to build their own refineries and the issue of subsidy will die a natural death.
Build refineries with which money? Go on your internet and check how much it takes to build a 200k bpd refinery.. How many State have the money to build a refinery?

And which investor will invest in a refinery where the Government fixes fuel price?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2022
kellyzaf:

Op ur mumu still never do by now? Na waooh
Ur Apc that gave u all what u want to hear during the 2015 election, what has the Apc do about all those promises and what hv u done or say about it, but u r here attacking someone that just answered a sensitive question with wisdom. Grow up bro.

You are just ranting.

Everything is not politics. We need clear-cut solutions to our problem, not political speeches he makes.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by caleboxylic: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

How can dangote refinery work when it's a conduit to loot dollars at subsidized rate?
How much is dollar sold to dangote comapre to others?
The simple truth is that, Dangote refinery will not function untill we have modular refineries everywhere!
Peter obi needs to reduce the minimum number of barrels to be refined daily for us to have refineries everywhere in Niger Delta if elected.

If we have 1k per day barrel requirements, then more local refineries will spring up in months the way we have at Aba with regards to shell gas supply to private establishment.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
Chijeep:

You're expecting him to promise #50/ltr as ur messiah Buhari did but you're saddened that he spoke just as someone who's not in power yet

No.

I expected him to have researched fuel subsidy issue and provided a clear way forward. He has no solution for it.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 5:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
VoteTinubu2023:
What's the equivalent he will offer?

Removal of subsidy has to be done but the masses will surely revolt. It's a devil and the blue sea situation.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.
imbecileee.Let your household alone vote Tinubu. Bastardd
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
Mrkumareze:

We been living in deceit, u must have heard the saying *no pain, no gain*.. I see no reason we should import fuel, infact I rather make bunkering free for all than to encourage this scam called subsidy.. APC and PDP are not sincere to us.
Do u know we can even license foreign investors and give them the mandate to refine their crude here in Nigeria? We have many options on how to better this country but our politicians has chosen to keep us this way.
If you go to most Asian countries, they have their own toyota cars, Honda, BMW s etc.. they do dis to create jobs within and also limit Importation which in return keep their currency stable..

Lol it is not that simple.

There's international conspiracy against Nigeria to build local capacity.

If you contact some refinery builders in Europe, Canada, and US, they will decline partnering with Nigeria. It's because we sell crude oil. They want to keep us at that level. That's why Dangote had to partner with Indians to pull it off.

There's an economic war against Nigeria, though, we have our internal problems too.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:11pm On Jul 06, 2022
PHIPEX:
Pls invite Tinubu and Atiku to provide the logical solution. You mean a serious FG should wait for Dangote to rescue Nigerians, is that the logical conclusion you desire?

This was how Buhari was shielded from the media until we found ourselves in this trap.

Do you want to hear the truth?

The Dangote option is the best model for us, given our peculiarities.

Fyi, there's international conspiracy against us. Most refinery construction firms decline to take Naija contracts. I can't say much online.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 06, 2022
Everlastingson:

Are you suggesting the refineries aren't working because there's no money to fix them? And the money must come from subsidy removal? How much has this present zombie administration claimed to have put into the refineries? That the refineries aren't running is simply down to foolishness, sabotage, corruption, and wickedness.

Allow a business run at a profit without government money and it would work well.

If you don't get it, sorry. If you think you would allow government set your prices so that the poor can be helped, it's your business.

Good afternoon
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by obinto: 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2022
shortIGBOman:

We have no business with Peter ObiTUARY. He is Igbo and Igbo can never rule this our beautiful Country.
So says an inconsequential Agbado consumer
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:17pm On Jul 06, 2022
Advocate500:
you are the noisier person here,obi might not be a perfect solution trust me nobody is ,obi is the most scrutinised presidential aspirant so far, to the best of my knowledge he is not the only person in the contest,where are other contestants? Why are you not worried nobody is asking them questions on what they intend to offer?

He clearly stated that for subsidy to be tackled that production must be boosted. His opinion is not necessary but your own is?

Lol@production must be boosted.

I have stated what the way forward is.

Dangote refinery is our saviour.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
Allisgud:
what else do u want to hear,he said if he will take the subsidy plan,the money recoverd from it will be utilized on something important u will verify,but if he will not utilized that money well like the present govt,he will not embark on the journey of subsidy

He was wrong.

Subsidy is just a symptom. The disease itself is fuel importation.

The solution is

1. Produce crude oil
2. Give it to Dangote to refine for NNPC at local rate

3. Pay Dangote with Crude oil at market rate

That way, we won't spend our forex on importation.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by PHIPEX(m): 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:

Do you want to hear the truth?

The Dangote option is the best model for us, given our peculiarities.

Fyi, there's international conspiracy against us. Most refinery construction firms decline to take Naija contracts. I can't say much online.
When did the govt realise that the Dangote option is the best, after or before campaigning to build 1 refinery per year? There is no conspiracy anywhere, after all NNPC still pours billions into TA of the moribund refineries in PH and Kaduna
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by fyneguy: 5:23pm On Jul 06, 2022
MarketDispatch:

Did you ask how the same people who said they will create 3 million Jobs and build one refinery per year planned to do it?

The more reason we must ask now.

We should stop voting without clarity of ideas.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Belleful: 5:34pm On Jul 06, 2022
Question: will you remove fuel subside?
Obi: Yes and No. But it's a scam.
Something you know and say is a scam, yet you don't know if you will stop it. Meaning the scamming continues... Hmmm
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by BaloFoundation: 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2022
The man is really intelligent!
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by kmaster007: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2022
Another scam... Buhari talk pass this one.... All of dem are the same.... Wat we need in Nigeria now is we should just divide in peace
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by elsiusgr8t(m): 6:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

what percentage of the population uses fuel??

And don't tell me businesses need fuel, because that's an artificial problem, and just providing adequate electricity will take away any man made problem.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by DMerciful(m): 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2022
Are you the North?
shortIGBOman:

That's what you thought. But the North is the King makers. They decide who rule this Country.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by equity1(m): 6:15pm On Jul 06, 2022
dele1727:
grin grin grin

I wish oga Peter would not have said since 10 years ago...

Because Ten years ago his former party was in power...so at least some of us still remembers that he was once member of the PDP...

He should tells what he would have done differently compared to Buhari and APC in the lastb7 years

He should tells how he plans on fighting insecurity......

So some of us that are still listening objectively can hold him account if he should get there....

Its not everybody that is obedient or Batified or Atikulated or a kwankwasiya....

Their are some of us still waiting to hear what each and every candidate plans to do...

But my greatest hope is in the fact that at least8 40% of the National assembly will not be going back because some of us know that...The really change we want can only be driven by an efficient national assembly
was he member of pop when pop was in power?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Bestman205: 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2022
Do you even read at all?

Why so much hatred??
fyneguy:
Lol

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by jogsman01(m): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

@ the bolded, I made that statement in 2012 but the elders said I was naive. Is there any other way the government give back to the people?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:41pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

How about refining petroleum like countries whose presidents have working brains do?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Fire Breaks Out At National Assembly Building, Guts Several Documents (photos) / Coup: Society Is Changing, Politicians Must Blend With Change- Goodluck Jonathan / The Underpass And Flyover Being Constructed By Kano State Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.