Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,608 members, 7,827,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy (29654 Views)

FG Owes NNPC ₦‎2.8 Trillion Spent On Petrol Subsidy - Mele Kyari / Peter Obi Speaks On PDP-APC Clash At Dei-Dei Market / Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by PotatoSalad(m): 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:

he hasnt spoken but a man who had the foresight to create the Lekki free trade zone, to vision creating a city out of the sea, to attract the worlds largest single train refinery to lagos, a man who has shown he believes in true fiscal federalism (i.e demonstrated it by risking the loss of federal allocation for many years while fighting the federal govt) has a plan, a man who showed the rest of the country how to generate IGR and whose model many now copy.....he just hasnt unveiled it yet. his antecedents speak for him so we are waiting patiently not going to TV up and down when you dont have a plan yet, lets not forget campaigning doesnt start until September.

It is the cowboys and those without a plan jumping on tv because they have nothing that speaks for their past deeds that are running up and down appearing on tv twice a day making fools of themselves always shouting on TV in a most unpresidential manner because they have a justified inferiority complex...they have no track record for their time in govt. They say he who makes the most noise has the least, truly beautiful and confident women dont do around telling people how pretty they are, trully rich men dont advertise their wealth running around in convoy, spraying money. Those who are truly ready and have a plan are keeping quiet strategizing and fine tuning their election strategy and economic blueprint not appearing everyday on TV especially with no plan...at least if you are going to appear on Tv during election time have be ready with your plan !!! The only people making noise are those like i said who feel compelled to because they have no record of performance that speaks for them. Thats why you wont see Atiku or Tinubu on TV yet. You should know that these are the questions you are going to be asked, these are the things people want to know. it shows incompetence that 7 months to an election, when you give an interview you havent anticipated questions and have your ready answers that will convince the opposition supporters. Nobody is interested in statistics. or a lesson in the damaging effects of subsidy we know that already. We now want to know "how"?

it is cowboys that come on TV at this stage and give interviews unprepared, It shows shallowness of both the candidate and incompetence of the team around him. We all saw how osinbajo's spokesman damaged him on Tv in his 1st interviews after declaration. Cowboys and those without a track record are always to eager to compensate for their deficiencies. It's not about who shouts the loudest. Nigeri'a truly richest men are rarely seen or heard, the ones we hear every day are broke tomorrow because theyve spent all their money showing the world they are now rich. There are levels to this thing, just like election day, we've all seen the helicopter meme, results dont start untill we start hearing from the big boys kano, katsina, borno,Kebbi etc, when their result come, then we know election has started!! All those early states, Ekiti, Imo. Ondo, Kogi, etc are just warm up entertainment before the main event, so also all this noise peter Obi is making. He will not get 25% in more than 6 or 7 states mark my words!!!
Tldr
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:
A man who aspires to be president that doesnt have a clear position on subsidy is clearly not ready to govern Nigeria. Subsidy is costing us too much but it is clear it cannot be removed until the local STATE owned refineries are working. You dont require a Ph.d to realise that. All that "we will study" what are you studying that you havent studied since Occupy Nigeria subsidy protest?

if you dont have a clear position on subsidy, security, restructuring, economic growth, state police (on all of which this impostor has none) you are not ready to be president of Nigeria and you should not grant interviews until you do.

I dont know how a man in labour party wants to remove subsidy when it is the same labour movement that will grind the country to a halt. i dont know how you want to execute any economic blue print when we spend the equivalent of 33% of our federal budget on subsidy! 2023 subsidy alone will build lagos ibadan rail 5 times. That is how crucial subsidy is and 7 months to an election you dont have a clear position?

This man is a joker!!!!

rest..u seem to be a bigger joker too

who told you local refineries will stop subsidies or make it convenient to stop subsidies,...

you clearly do not understand how it works

the same money diverted to foreign refineries for petroleum product is what we will divert to dangote when he begins production in order for him to sell at N165.. no local refinery will last 2 hours selling PMS at N165

everyday is an opportunity to remove subsidies ..we do not need to wait for local refineries to spring up
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by rickleye: 3:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

There is an alternative - Put the funds directly in the hands of the masses.
If the actual cost of fuel is N300 and subsidy account for N135 about 45%. Give whatever that amount is into the hands of all those earning average median salary per month. Those earning 120k per month and under get. Those earning above do not get.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by nedekid: 3:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
kponkedenge:

You'd be surprised that if a competent administration enters, you'd find out that this figures they are claiming here isn't even as close to what we are actually spending on the subsidy itself.

I keep saying that EFCC isn't doing enough to curb the out-of-control corruption going on in this Buhari's administration.

If we are lucky enough to have another party aside APC win the 2023 elections, the level of corruption that will be uncovered in this administration will be jaw dropping.
Bros now the corruption now knows no bounds. Free for all chopping is what is going on, why? oga at the top seems to be ignorant, unconcerned or overwhelmed.
Those days when the chop, they hid it from public eyes. I know one man that chopped then, nigger never painted his house. Fear will even catch some to chop because of the though that authorities will come for them later.
The reverse is the case now, imaging a sitting agf, cbn gov, ministers etc paying 100m, 50m etc in the open, without fear!
Eg, What work has amechi done since he was odilis houseboys till date to enable him pay 100m?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:03pm On Jul 06, 2022
rant19ade:
The best way we can survive without subsidy is to have our refineries working at a capacity to service the full country.
We can't be exporting oil and still be buying at rates higher than those without crude.

Another alternative is to have adequate power supply to lower the demands on oil for the daily economical needs of the nation.

the bolded is not true..

dangote can service nigeria and Cameroon fuel needs once it starts running but he can never sell PMS for even N300 per litre

he will sell at the international rate which is atleast N400 meaning we need to subsidize dangote and any other local refinery coming onboard
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by shantti(m): 3:05pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

This guy sensationalizes everything.

He does not address issues to a logical end.

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

That is the only way subsidy can be addressed.

Peter Obi is just a noisemaker

And what is tinubus solution. We would like to hear it
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Tareq1105: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
wiseoneking:
That's a very big big lie. It will even sale more than that. That's reminds me of when he built the world largest cement industry Obajana and we were shouting then that cement prices will go down but instead, it continues to skyrocket beyond the reach of common man. It will shock you that his major interest is to export and make more money than your so called believe in the local consumptions.

I agree with you on this. Dangote is a wicked businessman and an enemy of the masses. Obasanjo believed him and importation was stopped bcoz of his company. He's an exploiter and he exploited Nigeria and Nigerians to the bone.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by beardedboy(m): 3:08pm On Jul 06, 2022
AFRICANJAMAICA:
Ok

When this man speaks,you see and feel wisdom and efficiency.

But when the pee poo big eyed baron spew trash all you hear is
Agbado cassava and garri
Where's the wisdom in he what he said.
He beat around the bush for minutes and you're hailing him.

You need to take classes on critical thinking.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SIRTee15: 3:08pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

who told you local refineries will stop subsidies or make it convenient to stop subsidies,...

the same money diverted to foreign refineries for petroleum product is what we will divert to dangote when he begins production in order for him to sell at N165.. no local refinery will last 2 hours selling PMS at N165

everyday is an opportunity to remove subsidies ..we do not need to wait for local refineries to spring up

buying from dangote will free up our forex. dangote will sell to local buyers in naira not dollars.
2. dangote will buy crude oil from nigerian govt who can sell to him at discount/fixed rate if they want to continue indirect subsidy. Thats how its done in saudi and iran.
Threre's a big difference between buting from local refineries and foreign ones.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by casualobserver: 3:08pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

I suggest before you insult people out of ignorance and your failed education , you learn to read properly and comprehend what is written. I specifically said state owned and put STATE in capitals specifically for people like you. Clearly my efforts were in vain.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Bishop4real: 3:08pm On Jul 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

You guys just come out with hatred to discredit someone without listening to what someone is saying, he said he will not remove subsidy without making an alternative for subsidy removal.

Don't destroy an old bridge till a new one is complete for use....

And which alternative did he mention?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Zeezenho: 3:09pm On Jul 06, 2022
ThinkWISELY:
Greedy ,wicked, very callous terrible things just dislike this man for nothing

Yesterday the presidential convoy was claimed to be attacked,Kuje prison break /attack

What's even happening,this whole shit is getting really irritating and annoying!

PO Ride on abeg!

You mean we should not even try! It's better we go collect agbado eat and wait for calamity to befall us? God forbid.

We are OBIDIENT oh lord.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Tareq1105: 3:12pm On Jul 06, 2022
shantti:

And what is tinubus solution. We would like to hear it

Be patient, Tinubu is coming very soon to face the press and that's when you would know that your overrated Obi is an empty vessel.

The guy you tagged was even more emphatic and sound more reasonable than Obi. Go back and read what he said.

Buhari government has invested $20b in Dangote Refinery for that reason and that crude oil shall be sold to Dangote in # and he would sell in # to Nigerian market. This will definitely reduce the pressure on dollar for oil which account for 55% of our dollar needs.

Just hope they would follow it through but that's the deal.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by zzxxbbaa: 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

No matter how hurting it is for the nation's wealth, fuel subsidy is one of the few ways that the government is directly giving back to the people.

I still don't know how we were cajoled to protest against fuel subsidy in 2012 (perhaps except for the looting)

What do I mean? Take a look at the price of our deregulated diesel flying high at #810, 850 and above and see the harsh effect on food prices and cost of long journeys.

If Peter Obi has an alternative to fuel subsidy that the world doesn't know of, he should hint us. It would be disappointing to ride to victory using lies

I can understand your worries, and I'm sure millions of Nigerians want a solution to fuel subsidy. I would like to refresh your memory that this exorbitant sum spent of subsidy is mostly because of poor power generation, and dependence on importation, removing or reducing subsidy would only have a positive significance when we can generate and distribute adequate power supply across nigeria, then the dependence on imports would reduce, and reduction in volume against availability would drive down the amount spent on subsidy which then creates more funds to be invested in other areas of the economy. I haven't voted since the inception of democracy in 99', 23' is an exception , I'm disappointed that the youths or eligible voters don't demand to speak to the candidates who desire to run for the presidency, I belong to no party, don't believe in tribalism and nepotism, I believe in the process, I really look forward to the aspirant engaging the populace on how they intend to move nigeria forward, not by spending ridiculous amount of money to solicit for votes all because of personal ambitions, it'd only mean they would need to refill their pockets and dig up more well to store profits before attending to the real reason of them being elected in the first place. We need debates, records and notable achievements, we are past the age of tribal and ethnic voting, we all breathe the same air, if you want dictators to rule you all until 2031, then vote the old ways by eating nkwobi and washing it down with 5 bottles of � in exchange for your vote and spend the next 8 years working 8 times as hard as you've done in the past 7 years so far. Just stating my 2 cents
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by PapaCj: 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2022
shortIGBOman:
Even if Peter ObiTUARY promised to give us free fuel, food and everything. We still won't vote him.

Make una rest
Who be we?
Mumu no represent urslf and leave others take their decision.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:18pm On Jul 06, 2022
SIRTee15:

buying from dangote will free up our forex. dangote will sell to local buyers in naira not dollars.
2. dangote will buy crude oil from nigerian govt who can sell to him at discount/fixed rate if they want to continue indirect subsidy. Thats how its done in saudi and iran.
Threre's a big difference between buting from local refineries and foreign ones.

the only savings from buying from local refineries is forex...it ends there

government will still subsidize dangote directly on indirectly

tell me the difference between paying dangote 3 trillion naira yearly in cash to keep PMS at N165
and giving dangote N3 trillion worth of crude oil

please I await the difference

do you know NNPC doesnt pay for subsidies entirely in cash ..they sometimes do something called oil swap..
where crude worth billions are given to foreign refineries in exchange for reduced price on PMS to over all N165 per litre..does it change the fact that subsidies are still paid?

think naa
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by NEIGHBOUR(m): 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2022
[quote author=Futuristics post=114476231]Peter Obi.. the man of his words
meanwhile at a cheap price DM me for your logo and flyer design [/quot

Political statement!!! He can do nothing without the support and approval of the national assembly.
Can Labour Party win simple majority in the national assembly?
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by seborrhic: 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
Carlosdd:

Many people here don’t know what they are saying but only want to talk not contributing to the topic in anyway , one gallon of fuel which we call one litter here is sold for as high as between 6k to 10k in US as of now same as some western world you can confirm by check on google
Olodo.
A gallon of fuel today in the US is $5 which is about ₦3000
I bet you don't know a gallon and litre are not the same.
Since your brain cannot process even the simple things,let me help you further;a(1)gallon is about 4 litres.Therefore a litre of fuel in the US today is 3000/4=₦750.
So where did your 6k-10k per litre come in?
Better go back to a primary school and start your schooling all over because you can't do a simple 1,2,3 talkless how to read or comprehend information.
Seun has abandoned nairaland and it's now filled with dunces and drop-outs from school,aside scammers and bloggers with made up stories.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Sholaco: 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

hahaha hahaha hahaha grin
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Igbojew: 3:24pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

He just reels out stats to impress listeners without offering a reasonable solution.

Subsidy is a delicate national issue. Until we have local production capacity, its removal will hurt this weak economy.

Dangote refinery should come on board. FG should strike a contract refining deal with him. He can also be paid for refining with crude oil. That will tremendously reduce pressure on forex and freight costs. It will boost Naira value, as over 50% of our forex goes to oil importation.

Boy because of hatred you have against Peter Obi you mischievously skip the part where he repeatedly said that he will not remove subsidy till he have alternative of what will make him to remove it which is what a reasonable government or president should do........I am that Igbojew the table shaker
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:24pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:

I suggest before you insult people out of ignorance and your failed education , you learn to read properly and comprehend what is written. I specifically said state owned and put STATE in capitals specifically for people like you. Clearly my efforts were in vain.

grin grin u clearly do not know why our local refineries failed in the first place

are our dead refineries not state owned?

besides is english ur problem

look ..weather you want local government to own refineries
as far as they are not going to make profit or deregulated ..then they will still need subsidies to keep going .
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by FrB231(m): 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

. Do you think if all our Refineries were working there will be need for subsidy...Subsidy or not,we should tackle the problem from the foundation which is why Peter Obi is clamoring for Nigeria to be more of a producing nation which we are more than capable of achieving than being more of a consuming nation which is the killer to our dear nation for years now
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Trendingbiz042: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2022
Officialgarri:

You failed to ask yourself one good question, why is fuel, diesel and cost of food too high against its cost in 2010 ? Was fuel subsidy not in place like before now? When you reason it this way you will understand that prudent economic management is the critical factor to a stable economy. The price of items now including diesel and fuel is like subsidy was removed when compared with the cost in 2010. Imagine if subsidy was removed in 2010 and the cost of things now was the cost of things in 2010, don’t you think we would still survive as we do now and use the money for something else? Think think think my friend. Subsidy is scam. It has been removed by 30% but still paid at 100%
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by netzro(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
casualobserver:
But as usual he never answered the question
You dumb?
Na question I ask o
Read what he said like 3 times and meditate on it.

The fucking answer is there.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by SIRTee15: 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
Cognitivereason:

the only savings from buying from local refineries is forex...it ends there

government will still subsidize dangote directly on indirectly

tell me the difference between paying dangote 3 trillion naira yearly in cash to keep PMS at N165
and giving dangote N3 trillion worth of crude oil

please I await the difference

do you know NNPC doesnt pay for subsidies entirely in cash ..they sometimes do something called oil swap..
where crude worth billions are given to foreign refineries in exchange for reduced price to PMS to over all N165 per litre..does it change the fact that subsidies are still paid?

think naa

I'm not aware of oil swap for fuel by nnpc. if have u the link, share and let me read the details of the deal. Nigeria is part of OPEC and any crude oil leaving our shores will count as part of Nigerian quota- that is a loss. we are suppose to sell all crude oil we export.
crude oil feeding our local refinery for local consumption is different. We are not paying anybody, we still export our expected quota if we are able to meet the benchmark.
Even if govt is selling to private refineries at international rate, the final cost of fuel will still be cheaper becos its not subject to our weak naira to strong dollar exchange.
Nigeria cannot afford to buy fuel for 800 aira per litre- it will kill the economy.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by netzro(m): 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2022
hero2000:
When is Dangote refinery going to start production? Even if fuel subsidy is removed, local production will still reduce the full impact of Subsidy removal.
Petrol won't sell for #165 for sure.
The way Obi-dients THINK
Me likee
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Whois(m): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2022
They shouldbPity the masses, fuel price will continue to increase with or without subsidy so i think it is best to wait till we have working refinery before talks of fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:30pm On Jul 06, 2022
Carlosdd:

Many people here don’t know what they are saying but only want to talk not contributing to the topic in anyway , one gallon of fuel which we call one litter here is sold for as high as between 6k to 10k in US as of now same as some western world you can confirm by check on google
1 gallon and 1 litre are not the same
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by netzro(m): 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2022
fyneguy:
Lol

You think like an Obi-dient son but you are not Obi-dient.
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by AFRICANJAMAICA: 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2022
beardedboy:

Where's the wisdom in he what he said.
He beat around the bush for minutes and you're hailing him.

You need to take classes on critical thinking.

If I reply you,it will look like an insult ..pls don't mention me again
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by ncoolsome(m): 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2022
shortIGBOman:
Even if Peter ObiTUARY promised to give us free fuel, food and everything. We still won't vote him.

Make una rest

Who is "we" abeg speak for urself..
Re: Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy by Cognitivereason: 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2022
SIRTee15:

I'm not aware of oil swap for fuel by nnpc. if have u the link, share and let me read the details of the deal. Nigeria is part of OPEC and any crude oil leaving our shores will count as part of Nigerian quota- that is a loss. we are suppose to sell all crude oil we export.
crude oil feeding our local refinery for local consumption is different. We are not paying anybody, we still export our expected quota if we are able to meet the benchmark.
Even if govt is selling to private refineries at international rate, the final cost of fuel will still be cheaper becos its not subject to our weak naira to strong dollar exchange.
Nigeria cannot afford to buy fuel for 800 aira per litre- it will kill the economy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/nigerias-nnpc-finalises-new-crude-for-fuel-swaps-one-year-sources-2021-05-12/

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/05/13/nnpc-picks-16-companies-for-new-crude-oil-swap-deal/

https://guardian.ng/news/nnpc-extends-crude-oil-swap-contracts-to-june/

enjoy wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Abia Govt Begins Demolition Of 130 Buildings As Otti Flags Off Road Expansion / Atiku Abubakar Hails Pastor Adeboye, Says Nigeria Needs More Leaders Like Him / Stella Oduah Spotted After A Long Absence Following Her Son's Death.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.