Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,582 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (15679 Views)

Nigerian King And His 4 Wives In Matching Outfits Causes Stir In London / Thousands Of Topless Swaziland's Virgins Dance For King To Celebrate Womanhood / National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 11:07pm On Jul 27, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

oh vulgar man. you are a disgusting fella. I decree that you will undergo some serious suferring within the next two years if you dont repent and revert back to the old Gods and also apologize to me. cool

I like your zeal.I bu onye amali?I na efe Chukwu okuke?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2011
ifyalways:

btw,where is "asha"?he is MIA,ezeogu and co,o nwere onye huru asha?

Amaghim o!
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
Abagworo:

I like your zeal.I bu onye amali?I na efe Chukwu okuke?

my friend, such zealots must be dealt with a zeal. or else we will be crushed lyk ants lyk how our poor ancestors were. we just gave in. angry angry

im sorry I dont speak Igbo. im Hausa.  smiley
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Chyz2: 5:05am On Jul 28, 2011
Ngodigha:

Monkey shitt-licker, renounce the above or else you will die within 72 hours. I decree it.

PAGAN 9JA:

oh vulgar man. you are a disgusting fella. I decree that you will undergo some serious suferring within the next two years if you dont repent and revert back to the old Gods and also apologize to me. cool

God forbid!
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by odumchi: 6:40am On Jul 28, 2011
I thought the idea of "Chukwu" aka "Chi-ukwu" originated in Aro, as the name for Ibini Ukpabi which was revered as "god of gods"?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 7:46am On Jul 28, 2011
odumchi:

I thought the idea of "Chukwu" aka "Chi-ukwu" originated in Aro, as the name for Ibini Ukpabi which was revered as "god of gods"?
Yes, you are correct. Chukwu belongs to the Aro and not the Nri. Chukwu is (or was) Ibini Ukpabi until Missionaries adapted the name to help spread Christianity.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by chino11(m): 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
Anambra origin of the Igbos
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by IBEXY(m): 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2011
How did our Igbo artifacts end up in this place called STAUNTON??
More of our stolen wealth found abroad?
and now an Igbo clan head is going to offer his blessings? For what?
Those artifacts are crying to come back home.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by daniellle(f): 1:11pm On Jul 28, 2011
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Mortiple(m): 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
afam4eva:

He's the king of Nri kingdom and nothing else. Though he will be revered by Igbos for being the head of the town where Igbos supposedly originated from.

I've always wondered why he's not as popular as the Obi of Onitsha,Obi of Achalla, Ahagba of Asaba and the Dein of Agbor.

IGBO ENWE EZE; IGBO AMA EZE (Igbos don't have/recognize kingship) is a popular saying in Igboland. This practice must have been borrowed from our neighbours.

ChinenyeN:

Yes, you are correct. Chukwu belongs to the Aro and not the Nri. Chukwu is (or was) Ibini Ukpabi until Missionaries adapted the name to help spread Christianity.

This is not correct! The Igbo name for the Most High God is CHUKWU (Chi-nke-Ukwu). It neither belongs to Aro nor Nri. I rather think Aro people decided to called Ibini Ukpabi, "Chukwu" to express it's greatness and power. I don't also think the Missionaries adopted the name to help spread Christianity, as there is no record to prove that Christianity got to Aro before other parts of Igboland. By the way, there are Igbos in hinterland that never encountered both the missionaries and Aros.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by BabaRamo(m): 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2011
Going to America to bless property stolen from his people, these so-called kings sha! I hope he is not going with his stomach filled with balls of cocaine wrapped in plastic foil.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by anochuks08(m): 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
Nri is the ancestral home of the Igbo kingdom. Dont get everything complicated as to where which culture came from and where it did not. Nri is recognised wella because all other Igbo clans are believed to have originated from there.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by anochuks08(m): 1:53pm On Jul 28, 2011
Nri is the ancestral home of the Igbo kingdom. Dont get everything complicated as to where which culture came from and where it did not. Nri is recognised wella because all other Igbo clans are believed to have originated from there.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Okijajuju1(m): 2:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
As a custodian of our tradition and a spokesman of the Gods, this is a Taboo,

Eze Nri, the gods of our fathers have sent me to worn you to desist from embarking on that trip,

To all, it is not an issue for debate but rather a statement of fact; Nri is and would always be the ancestral home of the entire indi Igbo.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by furacao(m): 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2011
BabaRamo:

Going to America to bless property stolen from his people, these so-called kings sha! I hope he is not going with his stomach filled with balls of cocaine wrapped in plastic foil.
Good point
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 3:21pm On Jul 28, 2011
odumchi:

ChinenyeN:

Ibin Ukpabi is an oracle, not a deity, it is not Chukwu itself, it the place where the Aro believed was the portal to Chukwu. Ibin Ukpabi in Ibibio means.

quote/
Up until the turn of the twentieth century, people were taken to a dark chamber in the cave to appear before Chukwu (God) for judgment and to the Oracular Shrine of Ibin Ukpabi for ritual processing during the slave period.  A six-foot gully leads into the Cave Temple Complex.  In addition to the Oracle of Ibin Ukpabi and the Chamber Presence (of God), there is the Throne of Judgment, an altar (the kitchen area), the Shrine of unclothedness (where victims were stripped Unclad), a hill of rags (the place where they dumped their clothes is like a hill of rags), the meandering Stream of Blood, and the Tunnels of Disappearance.
/quote
http://www.wku.edu/~johnston.njoku/arochukwu/temple_complex/

Ibin Ukpabi is most commonly known in Nigeria now as the Long Juju as the British called it.

Chukwu already existed in Nri mythology through Eri.

BabaRamo:

Going to America to bless property stolen from his people, these so-called kings sha!

It would be good if you read up on the background story of this museum before displaying ignorance. The museum is recent (from 2009) and uses imported materials bought and brought directly from Igboland by Igbo people. The houses in the museum were built with the help of Igbo mud house builders and the museum installation was opened with the invite of several Igbo organisations which included a masquerade show. If you want to learn more go and visit the museum.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 3:51pm On Jul 28, 2011
The Aro have no allegiance to the Eze Nri.  angry

Eastern Igbo clans do not recognize the hegemony of the Eze Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2011
dem_people:

Though I'm an Anambra man, I very much still see myself as a direct descendant of the Confederacy and a full-blooded Aro man.

That being said and by general consensus, [b]many Ndiigbo like myself personally consider the Eze Nri as the most important man in Igboland before the Eze Aro in hierarchy. [/b]I see him as the central custodian of Igbo culture unlike the Eze Aro although both kingdom and confederacy were equally powerful, historically.

shocked shocked shocked

My Aro brother, do not let our kin from Arochukwu hear the words that you have said.

You are my brother, but the Eze Aro remains paramount.

I think the problem amongst the Aro people is that our communities are spread throughout Igboland.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 4:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

The Aro have no allegiance to the Eze Nri.  angry

Eastern Igbo clans do not recognize the hegemony of the Eze Nri.

It's not a matter of recognising it or not, Nri agents have power in all of Igboland.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 4:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

It's not a matter of recognising it or not, Nri agents have power in all of Igboland.

What power? They have power in Anambra, Enugu and some parts of Imo.

Nri had no influence among the Eastern Igbo clans.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 4:13pm On Jul 28, 2011

I only recognize the Eze Aro.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

What power? They have power in Anambra, Enugu and some parts of Imo.

Nri had no influence among the Eastern Igbo clans.

Is that why they use Nri market days? Even the ọmu used by Ekpe and Okonko has its ritual origins in Arochukwu. Nri died off around 200 years ago so it's impossible to judge it's influence from today's observation.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 4:15pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

I only recognize the Eze Aro.

Even Ojukwu went to Eze Nri as the Eze of Omenala. The Eze Aro himself would not put himself over Eze Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2011
I do not like this revisionism.

Eze Nri did not hold sway over the Eastern Igbo clans. Many of the Eastern Igbo clans did not know of the existence of the Nri Kingdom.

The Aro only knew of Nri's existence, because of our influence throughout Igboland.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 4:21pm On Jul 28, 2011
ezeagu:

Even Ojukwu went to Eze Nri as the Eze of Omenala. The Eze Aro himself would not put himself over Eze Nri.

Ojukwu went to the Eze Nri, because his community of Nnewi was within the realm of the Eze Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by kasiem(m): 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
nice one
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 4:39pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

I do not like this revisionism.

Eze Nri did not hold sway over the Eastern Igbo clans. Many of the Eastern Igbo clans did not know of the existence of the Nri Kingdom.

The Aro only knew of Nri's existence, because of our influence throughout Igboland.

How can they not know when some basic parts of their culture is Nri, that's sort of like people from Napoli not recognising the Vatican, who cares, their Catholic religion was developed in the Vatican even though the pope no longer holds power like before.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well, I know nothing of Nri/Eri mythology, and I can't say that I am versed in Arochukwu history, but one thing I do know is that there was no "Chukwu" in Ngwa until Aro showed up. The Ngwa credit Arochukwu people with the introduction of the name "Chukwu" in ala Ngwa, in reference to their god at Ibini Ukpabi. Whether Ibini Ukpabi is the deity or just the 'oracle', I don't know and I'm really not all that concerned about.

Now, all these people talking about Nri and all Igbo just need to stop. Nri has no business in the south. In Ngwa, the closest we got to Nri were some Oka traders who had made their way to Ngwa around the 19th century. There are no traditions in Ngwa regarding Nri or any which recognize an Nri hegemony.

Wait, is 'omu' supposed to be palm frond?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 4:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Well, I know nothing of Nri/Eri mythology, and I can't say that I am versed in Arochukwu history, but one thing I do know is that there was no "Chukwu" in Ngwa until Aro showed up. The Ngwa credit Arochukwu people with the introduction of the name "Chukwu" in ala Ngwa, in reference to their god at Ibini Ukpabi. Whether Ibini Ukpabi is the deity or just the 'oracle', I don't know and I'm really not all that concerned about.

Now, all these people talking about Nri and all Igbo just need to stop. Nri has no business in the south. In Ngwa, the closest we got to Nri were some Oka traders who had made their way to Ngwa around the 19th century. There are no traditions in Ngwa regarding Nri or any which recognize an Nri hegemony.

Wait, is 'omu' supposed to be palm frond?

Western Igbo cultural expansionism.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 5:01pm On Jul 28, 2011
EzeUche:

Western Igbo cultural expansionism.
More like Northern Igbo Overstatement of Hegemony. Western Igbo (Onicha, Anioma) don't concern themselves with the south and east like that.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 5:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
ChinenyeN:

More like Northern Igbo Overstatement of Hegemony. Western Igbo (Onicha, Anioma) don't concern themselves with the south and east like that.

I label all Igbos from Anambra as Western Igbos as well.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 5:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
Alright. I understand. Although, culturally and geographically Nri & co. are Northern Igbo, but I think I understand where you're coming from when you say West.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, Obi Of Onitsha On Restructuring, Igbo Presidency / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.