Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,517 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths (24887 Views)

Lagos Boat Accident: 15 Missing Passengers Found Dead / Six People Die In Ikorodu Boat Mishap (Disturbing Photos) / Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by kafeii123: 2:52pm On Jul 07, 2022
etrange:
I thought such sentences were reserved for premeditated murder? Yes, his greed and stupidity let to the death of these people, but did he take them to the sea to kill them? He wanted to make extra money and had an accident in the process. I see why he'd be jailed, I just didn't think that could fetch him such a sentence. Of course, I don't mean to undermine the sorrows of those that lost thier loved ones. I'm just trying to put logic before emotions. May the souls of the departed rest in peace and may their loved ones find ways to move on.

That he himself is alive while all those people died is enough reason to hand him such heavy punishment.... I believe this judgement may later be appealed or even pardoned. But even then, he should be stiffly punished for it. Kudos to the people who sued him to court over the ,matter rather than stand aside wailing over the dead. Hopefully, we will begin to accord the same treatment to people who fail us in public service... senators, armed forces, hospitals etc.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by kafeii123: 2:54pm On Jul 07, 2022
dominique:

You are wrong, the judgement is fair. Something similar happened in Korea some years back. A ferry conveying more passengers than its capacity (mostly secondary school students) capsized and sank. The captain was able to escape and fled. He was eventually caught and got sentenced to life imprisonment. What made him get the conviction was

1. He knew the ferry had mechanical issues YET he packed passengers mostly teenagers beyond its capacity
2. He knew the ferry was sinking YET he instructed the students to remain in their cubicles, everything was under control. The few students that did not take to the instruction were the ones that survived.
3. He left a sinking ship with all of it's occupants still onboard. As a captain, you must be the very last person to leave a sinking ship after every other occupant have been evacuated. Most captains go down with a sinking ship, the ones that don't and get caught are sentenced to death or life imprisonment. It is a clause on the contract they signed.

You can read more of this on the Wikipedia article on the tragedy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_MV_Sewol

they're calling you here oga @ Angelfrost
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Angelfrost(m): 2:59pm On Jul 07, 2022
kafeii123:

they're calling you here oga @ Angelfrost

Okay... But, this one did not flee na! Or am I missing something?!! It's not exactly the same thing.

Well, I stand corrected! Thank you.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by ExplorerReturns(m): 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2022
kafeii123:

imagine.....Boris Johnson just resigned a while ago.... but down here....all na no shaking....

https://www.nairaland.com/7214438/soldiers-incharge-kuje-prison-removed
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 07, 2022
Johel:

Read....block head
why dont you unblock it madafucking b!tch wink
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 07, 2022
Dscop:

You're obviously ret.arded. What a stuupid question.
For a dummy like you to answer wink
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Johel(m): 4:42pm On Jul 07, 2022
Scamupdates:
why dont you unblock it madafucking b!tch wink

grin grin e pain you?...oya sorry.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by EgunMogaji2: 5:10pm On Jul 07, 2022
GloriousGbola:

LASG is sending a message. Too many people are too casual about their business.

They really need to mete out the same to trailer owners and their drivers.

Too many dangerous businesses in Nigeria have no barrier to entry. I too can just get a canoe and start business. No life jacket, not training no nada.

Just vibes and God is in control

I see your point.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by victorv12(m): 5:19pm On Jul 07, 2022
Since 1999, have we ever incarcerate any Nigeria politicians for life over looting? Some of the judges in Nigeria are mad!
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Thomasankara(m): 5:29pm On Jul 07, 2022
Two02:
The sentence is heavy
It shows that a captain us responsible for the lives of his crew.
So should our leaders should be accountable to the public
.Very apt, on the federal government train, that was hijacked, no one is still held responsible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Wwwq: 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2022
Ok
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Yankee101: 9:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
Tragic, the deaths
He should appeal
He was negligent, manslaughter, not murder
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by oneMalik: 10:45pm On Jul 07, 2022
Yes you are !

God will never make you lost a soul in such a situation .
thebosstrevor1:
The sentence is Too harsh, maybe i am wrong.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by Mide3367: 5:10am On Jul 08, 2022
Na my junior brother ex gf brother be this o. Quiet unfortunate cry
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by captain247: 5:41am On Jul 08, 2022
There are so many things that gone wrong before the incident. Nigeria is a country bounded by laws of which the waterways are not exceptional. And we have agencies who daily regulate the operation of our waterways under the National Inland waterway Authority Act . They collect taxes from these boats daily as they transport passengers from point A to B but how do they implement safety measures to smaller craft drivers is the problem. Now the judge slam only the boat captain for operating without license but exclude the regulating body who failed to ensure passengers life are safe by ensuring these boat drivers of specific sizes have a license to operate after undergoing some test to qualify them, and this is a Major Non-Conformity. Now they slam him for loading beyond the capacity of his boat. Before he left the port of departure the regulatory body collects their tax and issue tickets from him only without checking the safety aspect what it can result to once they go against weather. Human life are important irrespective of the numbers. What means of rescue and communication do these bodies provide for issues of emergencies for these small boat sizes transporting people? The waterways body should also be slamed wit charges for the continuous boat mishap occurring at short intervals as they don't have anything in place for corrective measures.
Re: Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths by kafeii123: 7:47pm On Jul 18, 2022
ExplorerReturns:

https://www.nairaland.com/7214438/soldiers-incharge-kuje-prison-removed

This is another instance..... and Aregbesola is still walking free and traveling abroad.... and getting angry that a citizen is on camera with him... instead of planking his head ..... I'm sure he was also in on the move though...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flood Takes Over Igbokoda In Ondo (Photos) / A German Slumps At Lagos Airport & Dies Thereafter / Fire Guts Petrol Tanker, Stationary Trucks In Mile 2, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.