Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,525 members, 7,837,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Vote Buying - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vote Buying (400 Views)

Katsina North By-election: Wife Of PDP Candidate Cries Over Vote Buying / British Government Mocks Nigeria Government Over Ekiti Vote Buying / 10 Charged To Court In Ekiti For Vote Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vote Buying by Efuaye(m): 1:38pm On Jul 16, 2022
After Ekiti gubernatorial elections, I almost completely gave up on Nigeria because of the seemingly irredeemable vote buying that keeps raising its ugly head!

Why would anyone sell his/her vote for money or foodstuffs?

There are many explanations for this that I am not ready to delve into in this article now.

However, if poverty is the reason as easily suggested whenever this issue is raised, why only in Nigeria?
Do politicians buy votes elsewhere?
Outside Nigeria, do the electorate sell their votes for money? Is Nigeria the only country in the world with high poverty rate?

I am greatly disturbed by this development.

Vote buying implies that a known thief or a fraudulent person can present himself for election as long as he has the financial muscle to buy off the voters he knows that he would win! Where does that leave competence and credibility? Your guess is as good as mine.

If we really want to solve the corruption problem of Nigeria, then we should not take vote buying and the general monetisation of our electoral process for granted.

It's delusional to think that the people who caused the problem of Nigeria will be the ones to solve it. It won't happen!

Because they can afford the majority of us should not make us cheap for them to buy!
Re: Vote Buying by parkervero(m): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2022
Efuaye:
After Ekiti gubernatorial elections, I almost completely gave up on Nigeria because of the seemingly irredeemable vote buying that keeps raising its ugly head!

Why would anyone sell his/her vote for money or foodstuffs?

There are many explanations for this that I am not ready to delve into in this article now.

However, if poverty is the reason as easily suggested whenever this issue is raised, why only in Nigeria?
Do politicians buy votes elsewhere?
Outside Nigeria, do the electorate sell their votes for money? Is Nigeria the only country in the world with high poverty rate?

I am greatly disturbed by this development.

Vote buying implies that a known thief or a fraudulent person can present himself for election as long as he has the financial muscle to buy off the voters he knows that he would win! Where does that leave competence and credibility? Your guess is as good as mine.

If we really want to solve the corruption problem of Nigeria, then we should not take vote buying and the general monetisation of our electoral process for granted.

It's delusional to think that the people who caused the problem of Nigeria will be the ones to solve it. It won't happen!

Because they can afford the majority of us should not make us cheap for them to buy!
The solution you proffered isn't viable enough.

The question is why are people vying for post in Nigeria? Simple answer; money.

If the issue of vote buying will be solved, there should be serious downsizing of money gotten from politics or in politicking.
Re: Vote Buying by Efuaye(m): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2022
parkervero:

The solution you proffered isn't viable enough.

The question is why are people vying for post in Nigeria? Simple answer; money.

If the issue of vote buying will be solved, there should be serious downsizing of money gotten from politics or in politicking.

There must be political aspirants in Nigeria with genuine intentions other than money and status! Unfortunately, they can't afford the expensive monetised process.

(1) (Reply)

KWASU Osi Campus, Obbo-aiyegunle Road, And Failed Political Leaders In Ekiti Loc / Coalition / The Hypocrisy Of RT. Hon. Yakubu Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.