Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,020 members, 7,838,565 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! (7637 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Ystranger: 11:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

How can a country with the largest gas deposit in Africa even be talking about this? And by the Russians?
You see why some of us have called for the dismantling of the Nigerian contraption.
It does not make good decisions.

Who is better than the Russians to do it for us?

Obviously, 100 yrs from now, we will never be able to, just too complicated for our akpu brain
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:58pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

So, of all juicy federal infrastructure in Nigeria usually sited in other zones, it is this Russian contraption with a REAL potential for mass murder that you are wishing on us?

then take it to the middle belt undecided i am indifferent of the location so long as it is reasonable and does the job

mind you , violence takes place in the Middle belt frequnetly and as such as a bad location as well
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:58pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ystranger:

Obviously, 100 yrs from now, we will never be able to, just too complicated for our akpu brain

ystranger where have you been?

abeg dey come this forum more grin grin grin grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:00am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by tpia5: 12:06am On Jul 30, 2011
Ystranger:

hope they can put it in your father's compound.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by amblors(m): 12:08am On Jul 30, 2011
countries like the Uk are planning to shut down their Nuclear plants and we're planning to build. hmm

biggest problem is maintenance which could result in loss of plenty lives, i say NO to it.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:11am On Jul 30, 2011
amblors:

countries like the Uk are planning to shut down their Nuclear plants and we're planning to build. hmm

biggest problem is maintenance which could result in loss of plenty lives, i say NO to it.
smiley
sorry please we are not UK unless you have another alternative to a cheap source of power supply that would power at least 80 million homes ? wink
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Yeske2(m): 12:13am On Jul 30, 2011
Hmmm. . . . Nuke site 4 naija? IMO sha, Bere in Ibadan or Yenagoa would serve the purpose, at least provide jobs for those fatigued militants and disgruntled area boys for Iwo road under bridge.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by amblors(m): 12:14am On Jul 30, 2011
i understand its a cheap source of power,
but, can we manage it? ---- this is the most serious concern
where would it be built?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Horus(m): 12:16am On Jul 30, 2011
There is concerns about nuclear terrorism. I can imagine nuclear waste finding its way into the hands of Boko Haram.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:19am On Jul 30, 2011
amblors:

i understand its a cheap source of power,
but,  can we manage it? ---- this is the most serious concern
where would it be built?

Yes i believe we can but the thing would not be easy

first of all, the workers working there have to be the highest paid workers in the country.

2. if has to be done in a region where employment is very low so you can get very eager men and women

3. there have to be an emergency team, they have to be drilled everyday so they can be on there toes

if all of that is done then i think we would have no problem, ofcourse we have to be prayerful as a country not to have one ideeiot kill us all. grin grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:21am On Jul 30, 2011
Horus:

There is concerns about nuclear terrorism. I can imagine nuclear waste finding its way into the hands of Boko Haram.

and what would they use it to do ? . do they even know what to use it for

moreover, the radiation would have killed them as they do not HAVE the proper container to hold the waste from licking
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by daniellle(f): 12:25am On Jul 30, 2011
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by bamosagie(m): 12:25am On Jul 30, 2011
I think Bornu or Bauchi would be an ideal location for the plant. most of this boko guys would have real work to do for a change, and if they feel like blowing up the infastructure when they are high, we dont need to stop them. we simply beg them to do it!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by dinggle: 12:29am On Jul 30, 2011
I'm eager to know the location of the plant, so I can live far away from it.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Yeske2(m): 12:30am On Jul 30, 2011
alj harem:

Yes i believe we can but the thing would not be easy

first of all, the workers working there have to be the highest paid workers in the country.

2. if has to be done in a region where employment is very low so you can get very eager men and women

3. there have to be an emergency team, they have to be drilled everyday so they can be on there toes

if all of that is done then i think we would have no problem, ofcourse we have to be prayerful as a country not to have one ideeiot kill us all. grin grin
Gbam
Areas with high unemployment rate: Bere in Ibadan and Yenagoa. Boko Haram area; could fall into wrong hands and you never could tell
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:32am On Jul 30, 2011
bamosagie:

I think Bornu or Bauchi would be an ideal location for the plant. most of this boko guys would have real work to do for a change, and if they feel like blowing up the infastructure when they are high, we dont need to stop them. we simply beg them to do it!
dinggle:

I'm eager to know the location of the plant, so I can live far away from it.

if boko haram blows it up, the whole country would suffer from radiation and post radiation effect. so whether it is borno and you live in abuja or lagos, benin republic or cameroun, u will all suffer from it one way or the other.

so it is best put in a violent free zone
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by jmaine: 12:37am On Jul 30, 2011
We don't seem to pick valuable lessons from the mistakes of developed nations . . .all we do is copy and copy without recourse to the peculiarity of our clime . . .

The developed nations have not yet solved their nuclear waste disposal head ache  and we are pretending we are not aware, also trying to get one for ourselves . . .common municipal waste that is largely organic is a problem talkless of  Nuclear waste with a long resident time in the environment . . .

This move is disastrous . . .What the heck . . .  The location itself would be a problem cos i would like to see the communities  who after the EIA public consultation would accept that the Nuclear plant be sited near them . . .have we even addressed our security challenges
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:48am On Jul 30, 2011
jmaine:

We don't seem to pick valuable lessons from the mistakes of developed nations . . .all we do is copy and copy without recourse to the peculiarity of our clime . . .

The developed nations have not yet solved their nuclear waste disposal head ache  and we are pretending we are not aware, also trying to get one for ourselves . . .common municipal waste that is largely organic is a problem talkless of  Nuclear waste with a long resident time in the environment . . .

This move is disastrous . . .What the heck . . .  The location itself would be a problem cos i would like to see the communities  who after the EIA public consultation would accept that the Nuclear plant be sited near them . . .have we even addressed our security challenges

developed countries are just lazy

to dispose nuclear waste is just an issue of burying the waste in a desertify enivorment for many years until it half life gets to lead

this can be done in the northern states but the burying has to be very very deep and it can't lick
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by uonyekwere(m): 1:02am On Jul 30, 2011
It is not a matter of can we have a nuclear power plant but a matter of can we MAINTAIN it? We have not been able to maintain a constant electricity supply from less dangerous means thus far. Last time I was in Lagos, there was not a day where the light did not cut off. Nuclear power plants can have meltdowns, and if we are not ready for it, this could be dangerous to our people. The effects of a meltdown can cause genetic abnormalities that may not see relief for generations. Lets walk before we start trying to learn to drive.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by linkin8k(m): 1:32am On Jul 30, 2011
A developed country like Japan had a disaster from that stuff and we a developing country notorious for poor maintenance and continuity want to embark on a project like this? Even Germany is closing down all their nuclear power plants because of fear from the people over the Fukushima disaster in Japan http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13592208

Please i would rather stay in the safety with our erratic power supply than enjoying constant power in the fear of a nuclear power plant that can malfunction any day.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by liquid7: 1:39am On Jul 30, 2011
I have no problem with the Russians building it  .Those pointing to chernoboyl should look at the map and see its located in Ukraine not Russia .also it was a failed experiement  rather then a maintaince failure.also lets not talk about  Ajaokuta Steel complexx , Nigerian government failed to pay all the different countries we hired and like any contractor they abandoned it .Lets not forget we even brought Italians in at one point and they let too for failure to pay fees.The 750bn naira went into many nigerian pockets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster.
Anyhow it does not matter who builds it for us .Ask yourself this before you think its a good thing.Do we have the facilities to deal with an emergency?Do we have a maintance culture?will corruption not play a part in safety ?
Read up on how nuclear plants work before saying you want this and it will create jobs bla blah.If the cooling system fails in a nuclear reactor you cannot stop it leaking radiation or even exploding.There is no simple switch to put it off.
If you have no undertsanding how a nuclear plant works please then refrain from posting .It is actually very serious and i see the igbo crowd here wants it located in their land.this is one time i say let them have it !
If its energy you want we have fast slowing rivers to dam ,we are blessed with loads of sunshine for solsar power,have a coastline for wind turbine and have loads of gas to run run power plants .All much safer .Nuclear power is NOT for Nigeria ,its only a major disaster waiting to happen .
The russians will probably build us a state of the art one and then leave a couple technicans around.Then comes the maintainace .They will tell the minster they need $$$$ for it,he will give them 1/4th of that money and pocket the rest and they will buy poor quality stuff .That is how nigeria works pure and simple.Do you think some  minster will even think of the true dangers .
we can not even extinguish a simple house fire and you talking about nuclear reactors?
if they must build it then build it where it seems the few supporters on this forum want it.In igboland and pray the winds blow east when the disaster happens.That will sort their overpopulation problems in 1 go.
sadly the russians are only intrested in the money and since its so far away from them they careless .
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by MadDog1(m): 1:48am On Jul 30, 2011
nothing dey happen! we are crying of electricity and there comes an opportunity. please the faster the better! and why were they waisting time since 2009? eh!

Jesus and allah will save us(not this japan sinners) afterall so many lives have been kille for this Gods, embarassed
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by jmaine: 2:10am On Jul 30, 2011
alj harem:

developed countries are just lazy

Did you call them lazy . . . guess the comfort of technology they churn out on a consistent to make your life easier is due to laziness . . .

alj harem:

to dispose nuclear waste is just an issue of burying the waste in a desertify enivorment for many years until it half life gets to lead

And how many hundreds of years does it take it to get to that harm[b]less[/b] state . . .The challenge of nuclear waste is in it's long resident time in a toxic state cos any leakage or unforeseen circumstances can lead to radioactive poisoning

alj harem:

this can be done in the northern states but the burying has to be very very deep and it can't lick

So how can you ensure the emboldened does not occur for like hundreds of years . . . Won't that pending question bother you . . .
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Kc0022000(m): 2:14am On Jul 30, 2011
Nigeria is not ready for Nuclear plant,let look for other ways to solve our power problem
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Obiagu1(m): 2:23am On Jul 30, 2011
Any region that it is sited should contribute at least 90% of the employees.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by jason123: 2:30am On Jul 30, 2011
It should be in the North. They have a large expanse of unused land! The south is densely populated and cannot accommodate the dangers of a meltdown.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by tegasworld: 2:33am On Jul 30, 2011
Oh i remember chenobyl ukraine were there was a slight shift in the three nuclear reactors=> 70million of inhabitation i.e "nobody go fit stay dere for the next 70million years" ++40trillion us$ dollar to maintain radiation level for the past 10 yrs with out any output i.e "govt go spend $40trillion troway n nor light fron the place oh"

oh i remember japan just this year wen be say the nuclear reator just move small BAM for 8.0magnitude quakn the country straight to debt to manage the nuclear reactor .

WHICH STATE READY TO EVAquate anytyme the mata shift small?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 2:47am On Jul 30, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]

Just imagine a country that finds it difficult to maintain their roadnetwork, now its a nuclear plant they want to build.
(Shaking my head).
Why are we deceiving ourselves
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Deutshkind: 2:55am On Jul 30, 2011
From my analysis on the reply on this post, I will judge that Nigeria will never enter into the Promise Land until all the skeptics and ignoramoses plus their decendants have been wiped out completely just like in the case of like manner spies sent to spi the Promise Land except Johsua and Caleb who where spared for their optimism about the Promised Land. Have one why the G8 contries are the most industrialized in the world. The huge benefits of nuclea energy simply takes care of the demerits and absorb the risks. This is a great news for Nigeria. It is estimated that 1kg of uranium produces energy equivalent to that which can be produced by 1ton of coal! A ton of uranium could light up the whole Nigeria for an uninterupted period of 11years; driving the manufacturing industries and other firms for development in a breath taking pace. On location of the nuclear power plant. It should be near coastal areas: areas traversed by the River Niger and River Benue or down south bordered by the Bight of Biafra. Nigeria is very ripe for Nuclear Power. The fear would be military influence leading to the production of nuclear weapons.on of uranium could light up the whole Nigeria for an uninterupted period of 11years; driving the manufacturing industries and other firms for development in a breath taking pace. On location of the nuclear power plant. It should be near coastal areas: areas traversed by the River Niger and River Benue or down south bordered by the Bight of Biafra. Nigeria is very ripe for Nuclear Power. The fear would be military influence leading to the production of nuclear weapons.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Deutshkind: 3:04am On Jul 30, 2011
The reason for siting within the coastal area is for water supply for cooling the reactors. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by MadDog1(m): 3:16am On Jul 30, 2011
^^^^^^^
Good one! your  school fees is of good use to Nigeria.
                                                              w.africa
                                                            Nairaland
                                                             and urself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Win Jobs On Upwork And Save Connects / 2-3m For Business - Sound Ideas Needed Pls / CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.