Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! (7626 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by henry101(m): 9:58pm On Jul 29, 2011
BY VICTORIA OJEME
ABUJA — As part of efforts  to boost Nigeria’s electricity generation capacity, the Federal Government is set to sign an agreement with the Russian Federation that will culminate in the building of the nation’s first nuclear power plant.

Consequently, Minister of Science and Technology, Prof Ita Oko-Bassey Ewa, yesterday in Abuja, received a 7-man delegation from the Russian Federation, preparatory to the signing of a draft project implementation agreement between the two nations for the proposed nuclear power plant.

Ewa disclosed that the proposed power plant was a major component of the agreement between the two countries in 2009, saying” a draft project implementation agreement has been prepared and ready for signing”.

The Minister, who regretted the delay in the consummation of the agreement since 2009, assured that “follow up meetings are now being initiated to discuss modalities for its implementation.”

He noted that Nigeria was in dire need of diversifying its energy generation base as part of the overall goal of making the nation’s energy sufficient, adding that “government activated the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission, NAEC, as the pivotal promotional agency to achieve the objective.

Speaking earlier, Director-General of the Russian State Corporation, RUSATOM, and leader of the delegation, Mr Nikolay Spassy, stressed that nuclear power plants were a safe method of generating electricity, assuring that the Russian Federation had an enviable record in the building of such plants.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/russia-to-build-nigerias-first-nuclear-power-plant/
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by henry101(m): 10:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
In as much Nigerians cry for electricity, are they ready for a nuclear plant?
Which town or city will host the plant? lol.

Someone said beside Aso rock or the National Assembly. Do you agree? lol.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by liquid7: 10:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
this is crazy !
we cannot even maintain simple hydroelectrical ,now we want to have a nuclear reactor?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by werepeLeri: 10:15pm On Jul 29, 2011
Nonsense. Do the countries that have them have people with more than one head? or na angels dey live for those countries wey get am?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
henry101:

I was thinking ABA as the technological capital of Nigeria.  grin grin grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by seanet02: 10:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
Enugu, onitsa, imo, calabar,aba,nnewi,awka,portharcourt or asaba will be the most suitable sites.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by liquid7: 10:39pm On Jul 29, 2011
seanet02:

Enugu, onitsa, imo, calabar,aba,nnewi,awka,portharcourt or asaba will be the most suitable sites.
you craze for head .no bring death come asaba .i don tell you.put am next to GEJ for abuja and make we see if billions of $$ can shield him and the senators from nuclear radiation.
People who own this nuclear plants realise the importance of good maintaince or else massive disaster.
This is not something for Nigeria and is certainly not a toy.if oil refinery fail means no fuel ,if nuclear plant fails means millions of souls die.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2011
henry101:

good question and i would suggest enugu

1) because it is a very cool enivroment when compare to other regions

2.) it would create employment for people over there and also from people migrateing from other states

3.) it is the technology capital

4.) creation of an economic hub in the east

5.) fast induralisation for the east

6.) in recieve adequate rainfall for the system

etc
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 10:41pm On Jul 29, 2011
liquid7:

you craze for head .no bring death come asaba .i don tell you.put am next to GEJ for abuja and make we see if billions of $$ can shield him and the senators from nuclear radiation.
People who own this nuclear plants realise the importance of good maintaince or else massive disaster.
This is not something for Nigeria and is certainly not a toy.if oil refinery fail means no fuel ,if nuclear plant fails means millions of souls die.

what death, don't you people what the east to be an economic hub like the west(lagos, ibadan) and north(abuja, kano)
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by ikeyman00(m): 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
at the time Germany are about to close all their nuclear plant for good and this is what u get!!

somebody give oga jon a knock on the head plz
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 29, 2011
They can always build those time bomb in Iboland and boko haram region.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by obowunmi(m): 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
sad day for Nigeria.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2011
if not benue or ebonyi would not be bad as well undecided
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by GAR3TH(m): 11:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
Whats wrong with Nuclear Power? It most likely will be operated by foreign nationals who have experience with Nuclear technology. So I don't see why you guy are scared?

Even Nigerians themselves can operate the power plant if they wanted to, no big problem.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Has already approved Nigeria and have said Nigeria Is capable of handling Nuclear energy.

So whats the big deal?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:12pm On Jul 29, 2011
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Just when you think you've heard the worst possible news out of Nigeria, you get more!

Are there any educated man or woman among the leadership of Nigeria?

RUSSIA of all countries?

If Russia builds it for free, I won't touch it with a long pole.

Who made this retarded decision for heaven's sake?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
GAR3TH:

Whats wrong with Nuclear Power? It most likely will be operated by foreign nationals who have experience with Nuclear technology. So I don't see why you guy are scared?

Even Nigerians themselves can operate the power plant if they wanted to, no big problem.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Has already approved Nigeria and have said Nigeria Is capable of handling Nuclear energy.

So whats the big deal?

location?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:14pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Just when you think you've heard the worst possible news out of Nigeria, you get more!

Are there any educated man or woman among the leadership of Nigeria?

RUSSIA of all countries?

If Russia builds it for free, I won't touch it with a long pole.

Who made this slow decision for heaven's sake?

what is wrong with russia my brother

would you prefer america undecided
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
In my book, Russia is the worst country on earth to trust with an infrastructure with a strategic potential.
What happened to Ajaokuta steel
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

if not benue or ebonyi would not be bad as well undecided
As long it is located either  in the north or South East !
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:22pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

In my book, Russia is the worst country on earth to trust with an infrastructure with a strategic potential.
What happened to Ajaokuta steel

ajaokuta problem started from the british and not russians

also germans have been there for some recent years now. what have they done

russia is not bad so long as they do the job
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:22pm On Jul 29, 2011
~Bluetooth:

As long it is located either  in the north or South East !

why are you this tribalistic in everything ? pls this is a national matter not a north or sE matter
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2011
Posted by: alj harem

ajaokuta problem started from the british and not russians

also germans have been there for some recent years now. what have they done

russia is not bad[b] so long as they do the job[/b]
They would not do the job in a way that would benefit Nigeria either in present or future.

They are the most evil international operators. The old Soviet Union was better.
This Russia is a red herring in technology and strategic help.

They should build it near the Kremlin. cool
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
And I'm saying this because I know that a nuclear accident anywhere in Nigeria would affect the whole country.

It may even affect the entire West African subregion.
I ask again, who is making this re-tarded decision?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:31pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: alj haremThey would not do the job in a way that would benefit Nigeria either in present or future.

They are the most evil international operators. The old Soviet Union was better.
This Russia is a red herring in technology and strategic help.

They should build it near the Kremlin.  cool

it is sad that WE as Nigerians can not really trust anyone or country in the world as we are africans and as such would want to explore us.

anyway, i think we in desperate times for constant electricity NOW!!! and as such we really do not have any choice other than to accept the proposal. undecided

any how they do it, whether it is built in the middle belt or SE (the best locations) i do not really care as long as they just do the job and we can have constant electricity for cheap in the country and let the world see hw Nigeria would grow
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:34pm On Jul 29, 2011
^^

So why do you think the middle belt and east is the best location?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by kabba7(m): 11:38pm On Jul 29, 2011
Best locations are 1,Akwa 2,Warri 3,Aba for obvious reasons.OAU&ABU research can close down please.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:42pm On Jul 29, 2011
al harem, how many identities do you have here?

Anyway I saw your father and he says hi.

Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:44pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^

So why do you think the middle belt and east is the best location?

I am looking at the climate of the areas in Nigeria

now in nigeria we have 7 types of climate/topograhy but i would shorten it into 3

we have the dense rain forest in the south

we have the savanna in the middle belt

we have the desert/ short grasses in the north

now a nuke plant would be best suited in an open and cool place . that is why i suggested the middle belt and south at the first place

Now looking at the west, it is crapped up and also has  donated 1 of there states to the country

looking at the middle belt, it is windy as the cool air from the ocean and hot air from the desert meet, it makes it very windy

thus it is a good location

looking that states like ebonyi as well, it is not a bad location but also looking at the political sides of thing, ebonyi or enugu would be an economic hub for the country in the east as people would travel there to find jobs

industries would raise etc

we can not put that again in the west undecided

so it is either middle belt like benue, nassawara, or east like ebonyi or enugu
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 11:46pm On Jul 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

al harem, how many identities do you have here?

Anyway I saw your father and he says hi.

to be honest brother. you i would not lie to you. all my moniker have been ban by mukina i have alj harem and 1 more igbo id cool but he does not comment in the political
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:50pm On Jul 29, 2011
So, of all juicy federal infrastructure in Nigeria usually sited in other zones, it is this Russian contraption with a REAL potential for mass murder that you are wishing on us?
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 11:52pm On Jul 29, 2011
How can a country with the largest gas deposit in Africa even be talking about this? And by the Russians?
You see why some of us have called for the dismantling of the Nigerian contraption.
It does not make good decisions.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 29, 2011
None should be built along the coast. ~ Japan??

sceptical about this in the long run anyway

Nigerians can be notoriously inept in maintenance. No to another 'Chernobyl'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Divide Among Banks Widens As Small Lenders Face Cash Crunch / CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m / The Importance Of Advertising To Modern Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.