Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,292 members, 7,839,438 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! (7638 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by bamosagie(m): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2011
Funny, very funny. Japan built their plant in costal area cause they dont have enough space upland. go to US, Britain, France, Russia, Ukraine, India and Pakistan and see where they built their plants, please let us develope the northern part of Nigeria, imagine the number of jobs that would be generated, the business opportuinity that would be presented. and of'course we are all know the set of nigerians that have deathwish mentality from birth. and in case boko haram(harem) decide to blow the place up,  well then, radiation will spread with a but, dont want to say more.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Beaf: 2:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
bamosagie:

Funny, very funny. Japan built their plant in costal area cause they dont have enough space upland. go to US, Britain, France, Russia, Ukraine, India and Pakistan and see where they built their plants, please let us develope the northern part of Nigeria, imagine the number of jobs that would be generated, the business opportuinity that would be presented. and of'course we are all know the set of nigerians that have deathwish mentality from birth. and in case boko haram(harem) decide to blow the place up,  well then, radiation will spread with a but, dont want to say more.

Exactly! Boko haram can be employed to pack nuclear waste by hand, instead of running around the place with hammers and bombs.
It can even serve other purposes. If na bleach dem wan bleach, nuclear waste go do am. If na God dem wan see, a dose of nuclear waste can create the illusion; you never even know, nuclear waste might just straighten and connect the missing links in the wretched brains.
We can rid ourselves off those primitive animals while providing a cheap source of power; talk of killing two birds with one stone! grin

It is strange tha Nigerians are scared of nuclear waste, while the average citizen has proven to be worse than the worst nuclear fallout.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by seunlayi(m): 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2011
igbo boy:

After Seanet02 will open his dirty mouth and call me tribalist. Biko site the plants in Akure, Ibadan, Ile Ife, Ado Ekiti and Ilesha cos the western part of Nigeria need the benefits more than the other parts plus when nigeria breaks up they already have a plant, cool. You see i didnt clamour for anyone in Alaigbo. Just hope after i scratch your back una go scratch my back grin
Beaf:

Exactly! Boko haram can be employed to pack nuclear waste by hand, instead of running around the place with hammers and bombs.
It can even serve other purposes. If na bleach dem wan bleach, nuclear waste go do am. If na God dem wan see, a dose of nuclear waste can create the illusion; you never even know, nuclear waste might just straighten and connect the missing links in the wretched brains.
We can rid ourselves off those primitive animals while providing a cheap source of power; talk of killing two birds with one stone! grin

It is strange tha Nigerians are scared of nuclear waste, while the average citizen has proven to be worse than the worst nuclear fallout.
Na wa o grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by WebSurfer(m): 3:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
they are beginning to start a war they cannot end. they better not sign that contract
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Horus(m): 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2011
With Nigeria, the Russians found a way to get rid of their aging nuclear installations.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by jmaine: 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2011
Horus:

With Nigeria, the Russians found a way to get rid of their aging nuclear installations.

More Like it . . .We can't manage our common municipal organic waste efficiently . . .and we are planning to plunge into deeper mess by indulging ourselves with the more dreaded Nuclear waste . . . Wrong move to me . .
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by kinguwem: 5:55pm On Jul 30, 2011
Nigerian administrators do not use their brains and are not ready to learn. Can Nigeria manage disasters resulting from nuclear plants accidents?
There are other sources of power that we have ignored: coal, wind, hydro and solar energy. Hon. Minister, please stop this white elephant project.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Onlytruth(m): 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2011
First, WELCOME BACK BEAF! cool cool

Next, walahi Nigerians are killing me on this thread! grin grin

So una nor want development again?

Abeg site the tin for Aso rock sef! cool grin
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by bamosagie(m): 6:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
Honestly, I am really begining to be dissappointed with Dr Goodluck Jonathan, with all the sunlight in the north, nobody in the administration is thinking about a solar farm in the north. with the wind associated with some geographical area in naija no one is thinking of building windmill. enough noise have been made about coal.
Nuclear power plant indeed!
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2011
bamosagie:

Honestly, I am really begining to be dissappointed with Dr Goodluck Jonathan, with all the sunlight in the north, nobody in the administration is thinking about a solar farm in the north. with the wind associated with some geographical area in naija no one is thinking of building[b] windmil[/b]l. enough noise have been made about coal.
Nuclear power plant indeed!

Na so o. They won't think of all the ones that are safer. Abeg all the supporters should let me hear word. When these foreigners are looking for where to dump something, they'll come to Africa. I heard that the Russians were the ones that came to meet the govt to 'repair' the broken relations. After what, three years of signing contract. They were looking for where to dump waste and remembered they hadnt honored the contract they signed with Nigeria in the past three years. Now they want to use us to come and do experiment. Our God is still alive. He knows why He made them renege on the contract in the first place. We may be somehow backward as a country but we're not ignorant.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Fullohirrsikado(m): 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2011
This is a good step to solving the shortage of electric power in 'Naija'.I will also suggest that the nuclear plant should be used to enriched uranium to develop ATOMIC BOMBS. Uranium can easily be bought from our neighbours (i.e Niger Republic). Possession of atomic missiles will strengthen us militarily.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by GAR3TH(m): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2011
Nuclear energy is the most efficient energy source in the world right know. Basically it the cheapest source of energy that will give you the highest amount of power. Solar and wind energy cant do that, due to the fact that both are very expensive, produce little energy and aren't a constant source of power. For the same price you will pay to build a 2000mw nuclear power plant, a solar/wind power station can only produce a 500mw or so [example not fact] . Nuclear energy if the future, their no point wasting cash on obsolete energy sources.

BTW for those of you who said nobody does nuclear energy and they are getting rid of them, just so you know Obama approved $36 billion for the construction of new nuclear plants in the USA. Not only that but Russia, China, India, Spain, France and others have plans and to build more nuclear plants. Just wanted to end that myth.

Anyway Nigeria is more than capable of handling a nuclear power station. Yes Nigeria did have a bad history of not maintaining capital projects but that was during the time of and instable government can countless military coups, when everyone was fighting for power and didn't care about development. But now, since 1999, Nigeria has been stable for the past 12 years and we are seeing what the government can do.Besides the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has already giving nigeria the green light to build a nuclear plant. If the IAEA says we're ready,. . .it means Nigeria is capable.

As for the location, it will be located most likely in taraba along the River Katsina-Ala. since its a major river and has one of the lowest population densities,but I'm not quite sure though.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by ektbear: 9:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
Haven't bothered reading through most of this thread, but a few somewhat obvious points:

1. No clue why Nigeria of all countries, with some of the largest natural gas reserves on earth would bother with nuclear electricity for power
2. What happens when the plant inevitably falls apart or is mismanaged? Not only will those in the location suffer, but probably people all across Nigeria may very well suffer

Garth, do you have any data that backs up this statement of yours of nuclear energy being the cheapest? Table 1 on the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source) seems to contradict you. Coal and natural gas appear to be competitive pricewise. And I'm not sure that this chart takes into account the cost of disposing of nuclear waste.

For Nigeria, natural gas is the correct answer for power, imo (with coal and hydro being a secondary source of energy).
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by ektbear: 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
Some of the posts here about having the nuclear plant in the north or SE zone are amusing. But if you remember the Chernobyl incident, even places far away were affects by the radiation.

Nigeria is only about 1.5X the size of Texas. So not really a huge enough country for a nuclear accident in say Owerri to not potentially impact someone in Lagos.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by seanet02: 9:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
ekt_bear:

Some of the posts here about having the nuclear plant in the north or SE zone are amusing. But if you remember the Chernobyl incident, even places far away were affects by the radiation.

Nigeria is only about 1.5X the size of Texas. So not really a huge enough country for a nuclear accident in say Owerri to not potentially impact someone in Lagos.
no you did not get it, ibos have been marginalized since all this while so we felt like iboland should be the winner of this project. Ibo deserve this
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by proffmanue(m): 9:48pm On Jul 30, 2011
Ajaokuta steel did not work, hw will the Nuclear plant work.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by jmaine: 9:52pm On Jul 30, 2011
Common natural gas they are yet to harness  . . na Nuclear power them wan come manage . . . . People keep telling us Nuclear is cheap  . . . . .have you all bothered to ask about our power distribution network capacity when this cheap source arrives . . . . . . .have they even rectified how to efficiently distribute this power from the generation point to homes  . . . or would the nuclear power provide energy over the air to Nigerians homes . . . One thing is clear . . .we are bound to spend more money . . from this rather cheaper source of electricity when we have an already cheap source of Natural gas to harness

BTW, is France not the leading country in Nuclear technology . . .why Russia of all Nations

Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by GAR3TH(m): 12:24am On Jul 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Garth, do you have any data that backs up this statement of yours of nuclear energy being the cheapest? Table 1 on the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source) seems to contradict you. Coal and natural gas appear to be competitive pricewise. And I'm not sure that this chart takes into account the cost of disposing of nuclear waste.

I was actually responding to the person above me when he was talking about clean energy, Solar and wind power. Basically my response was toward the subject of clean energy. As Nuclear power is the cheapest, 'green', source of energy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13300595

I know that coal and natural gas are the cheapest way to create energy but cost estimates such as  fuel costs, capital costs for building the plant, disposal, construction timescales, carbon tax, Cap and trade etc could bring the price up. But it all depends who you ask.

http://www.environmentmaryland.org/uploads/pm/wE/pmwErlnw8uHiXY4TYeHhaw/energychart.png
http://nuclearfissionary.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/total-cost-electricity-production-per-kwh.jpg
http://kandg.org/WPBlogger/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/levelized-energy-cost1.gif
http://4.bp..com/_QYyG1d3ZaTA/TMcdxmnQFJI/AAAAAAAAABI/epEZVcB6UVI/s640/CM+Capture+6.jpg
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by aljharem(m): 12:30am On Jul 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

that is very right and that is why it can not be in the north as the climate does not support it. majority of this people are not using there brains. really
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by xterra2(m): 1:45am On Jul 31, 2011
[size=14pt]Nuclear or not, i dont care as long as it would bring light to Nigeria[/size]
Besides this is Russia here, they are good at this
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by cosby07: 2:17am On Jul 31, 2011
have said it earlier that JONATHAN is a failure, can anybody help me please what are they doing with our coal or better still let them give us the account of what's be done with the coal from Enugu, GERMANY shoting down, America same thing with alternative of coal and windmill, and we have coal in abundant. we cannot even maintained road, them just they play us like chess.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by juman(m): 5:28am On Jul 31, 2011
Füllo hirrsï kaðõ:

This is a good step to solving the shortage of electric power in 'Naija'.I will also suggest that the nuclear plant should be used to enriched uranium to develop ATOMIC BOMBS. Uranium can easily be bought from our neighbours (i.e Niger Republic). Possession of atomic missiles will strengthen us militarily.

True.

proffmanue:

Ajaokuta steel did not work, hw will the Nuclear plant work.

Hmmm. But things will not continue like this forever.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2011
The nuclear power plant can't solve Nigeria power need. You should ask what is the capacity of electricity the intensive nuclear power plant going to generate? Please, Nigeria can't have nuclear plant now for the simple reason it is not the solution to the power failure. The factors for the power failure are humans, distribution, maintenance, etc. Firstly, there is the culture of not paying electricity bills in Nigeria,consumers are used to this which they are owning the National Power supply amount to the tune of billions of dollars. Secondly, those at the head of management of the electricity are receiving bribes from generator dealers to stop providing constant supply, not only that overhead cables are usually stollen in express ways or remote places . Thirdly, there is poor distribution of electricity throught out the whole nation. everywhere you see overhead pole with cluster of twisted and knoted cables or falling pole with electricity current. There is also over use of exposed cables to distribute electricity throughout major cities where little breeze can cause them to touch thereby causing electric sparks and affecting transformers and the overloading of transformers is also an issue. Forthly,there has never been a time the Nigerian electricity has be taken care of. It is easy to spot rusted wires on transformers, while dead transformers remained for months without repair. There is lot to say about why there are problems with Nigerian electricity fairlure which I think is not Nuclear plant the proper solution.

If any Nigerian think Nuclear power plant will solve the problem, the person is just looking at the face value not what it carries. Then, if Nigeria wanted the plant for nuke purpose,I think  it is okay to keep its power balance in the region( though not actually a thing to ponder about for it is the powerhouse of West Africa). At least Pakistan and India have nuclear plant for nuke.
I hope Nigerians should think very well before building something that will not solve the problem they met it for. It is easier said than done when curtailing the disposing of Nuclear waste - this is the greatest challenge the nuclear power industry faces. Burying nuclear waste in desert is a big risk to the environment - there are cases of leakage into the underground water.

Please, I would say Nigerian govt. try to review the ideas on why they really need this nuclear power plant when there are abundant gas, solar, coal and wind resources available in the country. Nuclear plant cost is overexagarrated and a cost of a nuclear plant will build 2 gas turbines or more that will generate more power as well. Just make the right choice because there are options to make from order than Nuclear power plant with deadly risks.

@ GAR3TH I think you are too sentimental and enthusiastic about Nuclear power plant without detailed information about its cost, management and consequences.
Re: Russia To Build A Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria. Danger! by Oladimejii(m): 4:13am On Aug 02, 2011
I got this off the Internet, If all the plutonium at Fukushima (Japan) burns and disperses into the atmosphere, 920 million human beings would die. Now that's a country that has a good maintenance culture. The Nuclear Power thing is simply not for Nigeria,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2-3m For Business - Sound Ideas Needed Pls / CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m / What Was Your Worst Experience With Our Nigerian Banks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.