Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal (13960 Views)

ASUU Strike: NLC Solidarity Protests (Live Thread) / Rivers State Government Declares Carveton Helicopters Persona Non Grata / PHOTOS: Amotekun Solidarity Protest In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Blue3k(m): 11:38pm On Jul 21, 2022
NLC has planned to embark on a nationwide protest in support of the striking members of ASUU on July 26 and 27.

The federal government has declared the proposed Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) protest in solidarity with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as illegal.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Lai Mohammed, stated this while briefing journalists on the decisions of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) at its meeting in Abuja on Wednesday.

The NLC had planned to embark on a nationwide protest in support of ASUU on July 26 and 27.

ASUU embarked on strike in February to demand the implementation of the agreement it reached with the federal government.

But Mr Mohammed said "such protests are uncalled for and illegal."

According to the minister, the NLC is not a political party and it is not in dispute with government.

"I think we should also start to interrogate what labour is doing. The NLC is not a political party. The NLC can go on strike or protest if the rights of NLC members are involved. What the NLC is planning in the next two days is about interest.

"There's no dispute whatsoever between NLC as a body with the federal government.

"Well yes, that's a dispute between some members of NLC, ASUU, and the federal government which is being looked into. And NLC itself is a party to the committee that is looking into the solution. So, calling out people on street protest you begin to wonder, what is the motive of NLC in this matter?

"But you see here, we do not interrogate what NLC is doing. NLC by its own laws cannot even give out pamphlets.

"And NLC is supposed to be completely insulated from politics. Now, if you declare dispute with us, yes you can go on strike. Even that one would depend on whether certain steps have been taken or not.

"But this particular NLC, you know, asking and mobilising people to come out on strike on July 26, and July 27, is clearly on nothing, " Mr Mohammed said.

Also commenting on the threat by aviation unions to shut down airports in solidarity with ASUU, the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, expressed concern about the threat.

He, however, assured the public that "the threat will not be carried out because aviation authorities are already talking to the union."

"I'm naturally concerned about this if the aviation union will shut down in support of ASUU. I would say they have no need to.

"I will say also that we should begin to look at civil aviation as a critical national security enterprise. It has all the implications.

"We should not contemplate or think about an aviation disaster. We should also think about the general activity on the economy of Nigeria without civil aviation..

"I think it should be reconsidered. So, civil aviation workers, I think should not be part of this.

"Yes, I am concerned and yes we've spoken to them and I don't think they will join because they know that there's huge responsibility of lives on their heads."

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/543995-ASUU-strike-nigerian-govt-declares-nlc-solidarity-protest-illegal.html

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Felimax(m): 11:42pm On Jul 21, 2022
That wave!
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by duduade: 11:42pm On Jul 21, 2022
The Nigerian government is an emotional blackmailer

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Blue3k(m): 11:43pm On Jul 21, 2022
The federal government has declared the proposed Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) protest in solidarity with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as illegal.
Also commenting on the threat by aviation unions to shut down airports in solidarity with ASUU, the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, expressed concern about the threat.

He, however, assured the public that "the threat will not be carried out because aviation authorities are already talking to the union."

Lol what are you going to do if they do strike? None of you have the balls to fire these federal workers like Ronald Reagan did to striking federal workers.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Omoslim26: 11:48pm On Jul 21, 2022
What do you expect from an evil party that hates any voice of criticism to their destructive and suffer suffer govt.
Na only few months remain before Nigerians go kick them out.

30 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Viscuz: 11:50pm On Jul 21, 2022
Government of DEBUNK and cover up

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Kelsmatuc(m): 11:56pm On Jul 21, 2022
Dis country eh
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Coolbreeze1988(m): 12:11am On Jul 22, 2022
Na today? When all their kids dey abroad dey study. Vote Peter Obi for a better Nigeria.

36 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by nazicartel(m): 1:48am On Jul 22, 2022
They will still protest

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Blue3k(m): 4:37am On Jul 22, 2022
"I will say also that we should begin to look at civil aviation as a critical national security enterprise. It has all the implications.

What changes when they're considered critical?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by gloryman91: 5:07am On Jul 22, 2022
Stupidity from both sides.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by tydi(m): 5:09am On Jul 22, 2022
Who are these Nigerian government

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Eniolohunda: 5:09am On Jul 22, 2022

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by oluwaseyi0: 5:10am On Jul 22, 2022
Now protest is illegal

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Atikulated: 5:10am On Jul 22, 2022
Fake government calling others fake!

The subtle message here is clear. Go on strike and we'd unleash thugs on you.
"Yes, I am concerned and yes we've spoken to them and I don't think they will join because they know that there's huge responsibility of lives on their heads."
The APC doesn't care about the life of any citizen outside their immediate families.

9 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Godspowerpro: 5:10am On Jul 22, 2022
God help us.
Kindly Check out Chariot today

https://www.nairaland.com/7240687/every-house-go-nowadays-must

Ok

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Okobola146: 5:10am On Jul 22, 2022
The protest must hold, infact, Buhari must go!
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by opalu: 5:11am On Jul 22, 2022
Illegal government headed by aa tired President who wants to go home after borrowing more than he can chew wants to declare Peaceful protest illegal

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Gbogbowa: 5:13am On Jul 22, 2022
We are ready to go on strike after all we have been on hunger strike since,our children have been home so let us join our children that is enough reason for NLC to go on strike may God STRIKE APC

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by maxtop(m): 5:13am On Jul 22, 2022
Nigeria is a failed country, while y'all already get the PVC, i just got my International Passport today and am leaving this shit hole country before the election by Gods grace. Everything is set already.

I will holla at y'all when I get to the other side ....................thats the only place I will be appreciated. Yes!!!I will be appreciated in the USA. Thanks my well wishers.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by DenreleDave(m): 5:14am On Jul 22, 2022
Useless government

Toothless NLC

52 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by justt: 5:18am On Jul 22, 2022
Is Lai Mohammed now the Minister of Labour and Employment?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by kingsways: 5:18am On Jul 22, 2022
Rubbish

Evil government

Is refusing to honour agreements with ASUU not illegal?

Is paying university professors less than $1000 a month not Evil?

Government allowing universities to be closed for 6 months not illegal?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by RexTramadol1: 5:18am On Jul 22, 2022
NLC lol

Na dem dem
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by MMWandali: 5:19am On Jul 22, 2022
[quote/]
The federal government has declared the proposed Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) protest in solidarity with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as illegal.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Lai Mohammed, stated this while briefing journalists on the decisions of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) at its meeting in Abuja on Wednesday.
Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/543995-ASUU-strike-nigerian-govt-declares-nlc-solidarity-protest-illegal.html
[/quote]

What

Has Lai Mohammed became the minister of labour?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by babag93: 5:22am On Jul 22, 2022
Oloriburuku ni Buhari ati government yi..
To think Tinubu thinks he stands a chance after this supremely disastrous administration is VERY comical.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by inoki247: 5:27am On Jul 22, 2022
NLC too dey compromised....

He fit be format NLC wey fit don colet money from Govt nd give dem scope wey dem go use so dat he no go be like say dem dey incompetent....
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Godstiger(m): 5:30am On Jul 22, 2022
That's their only solution; adding fuel to the fire,worst administration ever

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by Frank150: 5:32am On Jul 22, 2022
Selfish people everywhere.. both government,nlc and ASUU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by chaseblack(m): 5:39am On Jul 22, 2022
I have never read such incoherent gibberish from a supposedly educated fellow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Government Declares NLC Solidarity Protest Illegal by JEANCHUKS32: 5:40am On Jul 22, 2022
The Minister of Labour and Employment is Chris Ngige not Lai Mohammed

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures As Shettima Meets LG Chairmen, Vice Chairmen And Councillors / Stolen Funds Recovered Under Buhari Are Currently Missing From CBN: SERAP / Sanusi Receives N25,000 Allowance Daily For Local Trips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.