Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,226 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency (62968 Views)

What Is Happening To Banks? Can't Receive Money Sent To Me / The New 200 Naira Note Is The Most Beautiful Nigerian Currency Note / Who Amongst You Used This Nigerian Currency [coins] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by marenkurz: 10:17am On Jul 23, 2022
That is not true. Any Patriotic leader would need 16 years to undo the damage that has been done. Don't get me wrong, Buhari is useless. However, Obi can't do anything meaningful in four years. The best he could do is to remove subsidy, which means more inflation. Considering Nigeria is already borrowing to service debt, I don't see anybody including Obi doing any magic. Nigerians are fu#ked

IboHausaYoruba:
Our currency can still bounce back if we are all OBIDIENT. Do you know Obi has just 2 cars?, just a single wrist watch and few pairs of shoe? Obi has always been prudent and highly principled, this is the type of man Nigeria needs, a man that can handle the economy with tight fist. Vote Peter Obi and Nigeria will get its status back in the league of great nations. Our health sector will be revived, jobs for teeming youth and corruption totally eradicated.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Mamijoh(f): 10:18am On Jul 23, 2022
Bobloco:
Oh! Nigeria!

Top to bottom! Top to bottom!
grin grin grin grin grin the top to bottom
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by nnamdi640: 10:18am On Jul 23, 2022
Tinubu and urchins are among those responsible for this. The so called urchins are ready to make that mistake.
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Acidosis(m): 10:19am On Jul 23, 2022
beautyhd:
If you have someone that sends dollars to you once in a while, call them and thank them.

Most buildings under construction in Nigeria are done by people abroad.

Most people abroad I know are happy with the current state of naira.

The effect of this is killing and frustrating home based Nigerians.

10k can’t comfortably feed a family of 3 for 3 days

They're sending more money now than ever so everyone is losing, both the sender and the recipient. Cost of cement has risen by 300%. Same goes to the cost of block, and other building materials. They now have to save and pay more dollars to build in Nigeria.

More so, the building contractor shouldn't rejoice just yet. 4 years ago, you can get a decent 2011 Toyota Camry by simply saving 2.5 million. Today, you need at least 4.3-4.5 million to get the same car (that is now older and more outdated by 4 years) grin

Everyone is losing badly on all side but I agree that the rate of loss differs across board.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Heterodox(m): 10:19am On Jul 23, 2022
GudHardDick:
This is exactly Why we need Peter Obi so that he can recused this country from these criminals.

Go and get your PVCs and let's vote massively for peter Obi come 2023!!!!!
Obi cannot solve a global disaster.

It's everywhere

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by RepoMan007: 10:21am On Jul 23, 2022
Seems Jesus is taking the exchange rate up to heaven before taking humans.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Sheriman(m): 10:22am On Jul 23, 2022
Antimarraige:
Make they kuku sell the useless country.
I see a revolution happening soon, killings of rich politicians and their families will start soon
Na only for mouth Nigerians no fit do nothing we like suffering in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by PointZerom: 10:22am On Jul 23, 2022
DukeofUmueri247:

You are right..Most Nigerians abroad should never be depended on...But this is the right time at least to help ur kins in Nigeria as someone living abroad because even if you send 20 USD to someone in Nigeria now,he or she will thank you for the rest of the year.

$20 = #13,500
Cursed is any one that surpports APC.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by jojothaiv(m): 10:23am On Jul 23, 2022
Ionno what to say anymore, maybe the downward trend is to discover hydro-carbons, once we get there, I mean the rock bottom, the bottom of the bottom then the corruption in Nigeria and the Nigeria in corruption will find a way up then...

Because, pathetic is such an understatement..

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by PointZerom: 10:24am On Jul 23, 2022
Sheriman:

Na only for mouth Nigerians no fit do nothing we like suffering in Nigeria.

Exactly bro.
TRIBALISM have killed us. Even if God send a Messiah to help us, many people will kick against it because he's Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 23, 2022
Customs earned 2.24 trillion Naira in duties according to my Oga at the Top, let say duties is averagely tithe money which is 10% that means we imported poverty worth 22.4 trillion in to the country and export the same value of jobs out.. on top of that Oga Emefiele want to give 65 Naira for every dollar repatriated into the country, which though meant to encourage export, is something I don't agree with, because it means we might never achieve parity with the USD or even be able to float it, that money rather should be channel to making more Ports available dedicated to only export(reorientate the customs fellows), allow seamless access to global market(The entire supply chain need to be perfect), more cheaper data and power for those who export talents via the internet(Thank God Senate President get sense to pass the law decentralizing power, make President Buhari get courage to sign it to law), more sensitization. Today I hear Egypt is building new cities, that means very soon they would be hijacking the UAE tourism capital Afterall they are Pyramids in Egypt but what market are we hijacking....UN just broker a tripartite deal between them, Ukraine and Russia because of wheat .. Yet we have lands idling away around Nigeria ......Debt Servicing greater than Oil revenue I guess, because we kukuma no dey feel the boom, wetin be the budget bench mark sef

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Bussydaniel: 10:24am On Jul 23, 2022
The way it kept going down na water e dey find ?
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Melodydoctor: 10:25am On Jul 23, 2022
GudHardDick:
This is exactly Why we need Peter Obi so that he can recused this country from these criminals.

Go and get your PVCs and let's vote massively for peter Obi come 2023!!!!!

Are you saying that Peter Obi should come and 'recurse' this country?

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by gtrust: 10:25am On Jul 23, 2022
If you ever send money to anyone in Nigeria yes they will appreciate but they will turn it to employment and demand for that money as if it’s their salary.
Even those with small jobs will stop working and be sending stupid text messages like “happy Friday” or “happy Monday” or “happy new month” etc nonsense like these. They will constantly call to greet.

You need to know that those abroad live on credit: they have to pay student loan, mortgage, car loan, phone loan, furniture loan, wristwatch loan etc and they have to feed spouses and children etc etc

E no easy that side too oh!!

DukeofUmueri247:

You are right..Most Nigerians abroad should never be depended on...But this is the right time at least to help ur kins in Nigeria as someone living abroad because even if you send 20 USD to someone in Nigeria now,he or she will thank you for the rest of the year.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by PointZerom: 10:26am On Jul 23, 2022
Heterodox:

It's everywhere

Shut up.
You're part of the problems.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by 9jaRealist: 10:27am On Jul 23, 2022
>
Actually, as bad as this appears…
This would NOT be of as much significant if we were a PRODUCTIVE economy.

Unfortunately, it bites hard because we are massively import-dependent…
We’re the ONLY oil-rich nation that LOSES when prices go up because we import petroleum products!

When Nigerians are calculating the minimum wage in dollars, I ask WTF…
Why on earth would the masses care about exchange rates if not because many basic things are imported.
>

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by meeketta: 10:27am On Jul 23, 2022
In PMB's voice: "1 naira will be equal to 1$ when i become the president of Nigeria" .
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by UptownVibes(m): 10:27am On Jul 23, 2022
Buhari already said he is tired. But nobody is telling him to go home and rest. By December, it should be around $1 to #2500. grin
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by marenkurz: 10:29am On Jul 23, 2022
I'm not a fan of Obi. But you're wrong to compare him with Buhari. Buhari didn't go to school. Fela described Buhari as animal in human skin. What other warning does Nigeria need concerning their president.
Don't compare human to animal.

sunnnnyuu:

Obituary and Buhari are the same.
Buhari is not corrupt, people use their hard earning to campaign for him when he became president, the masses that support him are one suffering and now Obi is not corrupt from his previous record, people love him even using their money do campaign for him when he win election he will be like Buhari so I will not support obituary better I go for Tinubu or Atiku

4 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by 9jaRealist: 10:29am On Jul 23, 2022
gtrust:
If you ever send money to anyone in Nigeria yes they will appreciate but they will turn it to employment and demand for that money as if it’s their salary.
Even those with small jobs will stop working and be sending stupid text messages like “happy Friday” or “happy Monday” or “happy new month” etc nonsense like these. They will constantly call to greet.

You need to know that those abroad live on credit: they have to pay student loan, mortgage, car loan, phone loan, furniture loan, wristwatch loan etc and they have to feed spouses and children etc etc

E no easy that side too oh!!

You know Nigerians very well…
The Culture of Entitlement can be gobsmacking.

>
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Kaysalas(m): 10:31am On Jul 23, 2022
guobe:
Obi will win South EAST but you see most Northerners are not as enlightened as South.Thats where the problem is for obi.
fixed cool
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by 9jaRealist: 10:31am On Jul 23, 2022
sunnnnyuu:
Obituary and Buhari are the same.
Buhari is not corrupt, people use their hard earning to campaign for him when he became president, the masses that support him are one suffering and now Obi is not corrupt from his previous record, people love him even using their money do campaign for him when he win election he will be like Buhari so I will not support obituary better I go for Tinubu or Atiku

I STOPPED READING AT THE HIGHLIGHTED… angry
>
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by bong4(m): 10:31am On Jul 23, 2022
guobe:
Obi will win South but you see most Northerners are not as enlightened as South.Thats where the problem is for obi.

My brother, there are so many educated yet unenlightened people in the South. That APC is still an option in this country is a big shame with all the wrongs going on in this country.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by godofuck231: 10:32am On Jul 23, 2022
Thomthom:
Effect of Leaders that don't even know the reasons their there.. But to win election..
come take small gin , kneel down, with the powers confided in me, I break yhe spirit of waist pain on you , may the spirit that stanates you, loose sight and direction back to sender , may your name cause panic in the witchcraft meetings, may apc never see your name and a member of its party , may the God of heaven deliver fresh fire to your alta of life ijn

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 23, 2022
It appears NAIRA is now synonymous with Pregnancy.... Naira now has Trimesters.
Just as pregnancy grows with each Trimester, Naira does same. It goes to show how smart PMB is
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Celly2020: 10:34am On Jul 23, 2022
And some people are campaigning for this them. May God help us
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by 9jaRealist: 10:34am On Jul 23, 2022
DukeofUmueri247:
You are right..Most Nigerians abroad should never be depended on...But this is the right time at least to help ur kins in Nigeria as someone living abroad because even if you send 20 USD to someone in Nigeria now, he or she will thank you for the rest of the year.

You’ll be lucky if they thank you for the rest of the week - if at all…
The Culture of Entitlement has taken root among so many Nigerians who believe if you’re doing “better” you owe them something.
>

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by starstaz(m): 10:35am On Jul 23, 2022
Angelfrost:
I expect a Dollar to equal #1000 before December or latest December!

This is not cynicism... This is the reality of a depreciating and declining nation and her currency!

A nation that has failed to look inwards, harness her rich resources, cut down wastage, tackle corruption, decrease imports, enhance exports, remove subsidy, etc, can only retrogress!
God bless u more for your family to enjoy u.
Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by MallamChukwudi: 10:40am On Jul 23, 2022
beautyhd:
If you have someone that sends dollars to you once in a while, call them and thank them.

Most buildings under construction in Nigeria are done by people abroad.

Most people abroad I know are happy with the current state of naira.

The effect of this is killing and frustrating home based Nigerians.

10k can’t comfortably feed a family of 3 for 3 days

Most people abroad are NOT happy about the exchange state or broadly, the state of things in Nigeria. This is not correct. People abroad feel it the most.

They are the ones family members back home depends upon, and even extended family members.

They are the one who desperately wanted to return back home, but the insecurity, cost of living and no viable source of income makes them remain in countries otherwise, they won't want to be in any longer.

Besides, even if naira falls to 1k per usd, it doesn't mean pure water will remain five naira, cost of living goes up as well, even triple, afterall. Naira gets expensive as it falls.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by 9jaRealist: 10:41am On Jul 23, 2022
Heterodox:

It's everywhere

This is the misnomer that gives comfort to Buhari’s GROSS INCOMPETENCE…
Even in a “global disaster”, there are things that you can do to NOT aggravate it.

General Buhari takes a global setback and turns it into a domestic tsunami…
Eg, with the 2016 economic recession, his DUMB economic policies prolonged and exacerbated it.

When other similarly-placed nations (Egypt, Angola, etc.) were exiting that recession…
Nigeria was diving deeper into a depression that ultimately took almost two years to exit.

>

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Dengoh(m): 10:42am On Jul 23, 2022
Help us to beg Buhari to resign and save us from this calamity.
We have had enough of him.
He can take his salaries for his remaining months.

Buhari, thank you o..... We are not doing again

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To Nigerian Currency by Angelfrost(m): 10:43am On Jul 23, 2022
starstaz:

God bless u more for your family to enjoy u.

Amen sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

POS Operators Increase Charges For Withdrawal, Deposit / 10 Men Aliko Dangote Cannot Do Without / Who Are Those Behind Dangote Group ? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.