Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,916 members, 7,817,688 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan (4091 Views)

Suspected Boko Haram Member Feigns Madness, Narrowly Escapes Arrest In Yobe / Breaking News: Suspected Boko Haram Kidnapped Over 60 Children In Cameroon / Osun Guber Poll Update Over 30 Acn Party Agent Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by koruji(m): 1:32am On Aug 01, 2011
Is Boko Haram really trying to do something in the SW or the political beneficiaries of their mayhem bent on causing more damage

BTW the way note how at the end the police already declared that the guy is not Boko Haram.

One wonders how quickly our police knows the conclusion of an investigatio that is yet to start.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/25929-suspected-boko-haram-agent-arrested-in-ibadan

Written by Adebayo Waheed Monday, 01 August 2011

A suspected member of the Boko Haram sect was, on Saturday, arrested by security conscious members of the public while he was trying to locate “the biggest churches” in Ibadan, Oyo State.

The suspect (names withheld), who pretended to be a physically challenged beggar, was arrested at Omitowoju area, off Salvation Army Road, Ibadan, in Ibadan North- West Local Government Area of the state.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that the suspect had approached a group of people to beg for alms, when his mobile phone rang.When he brought it out from his pocket, the quality of the handset caught the attention of his  would be benefactors, who became curious and suspicious, wondering how a beggar came to  be in possession of such an expensive handset.

Unfortunately for the supposed beggar, one of those he begged for alms, could speak the Hausa Language with which he was conversing with the person at the other end and this reportedly gave him away.

When it dawned on him that his handset had attracted the attention of the people, he quickly moved away while still speaking with his caller.

But unknown to him, the person who could speak Hausa Language among the people, followed him so he could  hear the conversation between the supposed beggar and his caller.

The man later disclosed that the “beggar” was telling his caller that he was still going around to locate the big churches in Ibadan for possible attack.

The “beggar” was consequently pursued, arrested and beaten and a roving motorcycle (popularly called okada) was chartered to take him to the Mokola police station.

Unkown to the people, the supposed okada rider was a policeman, but was in mufti.

Nigerian Tribune further gathered that the suspect’s handset, which had N13,000 credit, further fuelled the suspicion that he must have come to Ibadan for a special assignment.

When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police Moses Onireti said it was meant to cause confusion in the state, saying that the man arrested was not from Boko Haram.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by CyberG: 1:40am On Aug 01, 2011
koruji:

Is Boko Haram really trying to do something in the SW or the political beneficiaries of their mayhem bent on causing more damage

BTW the way note how at the end the police already declared that the guy is not Boko Haram.

One wonders how quickly our police knows the conclusion of an investigatio that is yet to start.

. . .

When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police Moses Onireti said it was meant to cause confusion in the state, saying that the man arrested was not from Boko Haram

How did the commissioner know that he was not from Boko Haram? What kind of investigations did the Police do to conclude almost immediately that he is not from Boko Haram? Did they trace who exactly he called and where the person lived in Nigeria? Who are the people associated with them? Or, did the commissioner just say what Hafiz Ringim directed him to say so as not to upset Boko Haram some more? Or is it a gimmick to pretend while they hunt BH? Nonetheless, we will see what happens if any bombs go off near any churches. One thing though is Nigeria Police and entire leadership at every level CANNOT be trusted!
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by jmaine: 1:57am On Aug 01, 2011
The swift apprehension of this wicked fool enforces the believe that security begins with you and i . . .being vigilant is key solving to our security impasse . . .

I understand the State police commissioner in not trying to look at the case at a face value . . . thereby limiting investigation and intelligence gathering to just Boko Haram . . .It might just be some dubious group trying to feed on the BH menace to cause more problems . . Pray tell, we might just get to know . . .if there is more to the bombings than just  Boko Haram   . . . .  . . .

The presence of corrupt and criminal elements in the Police force is astronomical  . . .And i understand why we are all scared if the police will botch this unique development as usual . . .
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 01, 2011
Nawa o, but Punch report on this is different! They said the guy was from Niger and they gave his name. They called police bt no favorable response. The Okada man, a retired seargent(police or soldier nt clear!) rescued the beggar, accoding to Punch.
Now, whch of these repots do we take serious?
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:32am On Aug 01, 2011
lol
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by Seun(m): 9:35am On Aug 01, 2011
Hmmm. I hope the eye-witness was not lying to get the phone or something.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by fm7070: 9:47am On Aug 01, 2011
I will keep on saying, this technological lapses in this country may land us somewhere terrible unless government buckle up and improve drasically in implementation of technological infrastructure.
Let's assume the man is truly from Boko-Haram, the telephone conversation is enough to get him and get other members.
I know very well that churches may be the next target, but God will keep on exposing them.
Our police need hy-tech facilities to combat crime, even the country as a whole.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by seunlayi(m): 10:26am On Aug 01, 2011
fm7070:

I will keep on saying, this technological lapses in this country may land us somewhere terrible unless government buckle up and improve drasically in implementation of technological infrastructure.
Let's assume the man is truly from Boko-Haram, the telephone conversation is enough to get him and get other members.
I know very well that churches may be the next target, but God will keep on exposing them.
Our police need hy-tech facilities to combat crime, even the country as a whole.

AMEN O
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by lafuria1(m): 10:29am On Aug 01, 2011
Anybody 4rm d north can be arrested and accused of boko haram, case close. Sme time back, a fulani woman was arrested at ikorodu and d nxt tin she be boko haram. Load of explosive enroute 2 abj nxt tin u hear na boko haram, in anambra, a hausa policemam killed a fellow policeman, d nxt tin u hear a suspected boko haram in anambra. Na only boko haram dey commit crime? If reports say they were nt true, pple will accuse d police of conspiracy and coverup. Na everytin we wan here say na boko haram. Na crime 4 begger to hold expensive china phone. Its nt new dat hausa beggars go 2 churches 2 beg. He could be a new beggar in town. As 4 d phone conversation, only d eyewitnes can clarify wat he heard. As 4 d police dismisal, they nid 2 give us reason y d case was dismissedts say they were nt true, pple will accuse d police of conspiracy and coverup. Na everytin we wan here say na boko haram. Na crime 4 begger to hold expensive china phone. Its nt new dat hausa beggars go 2 churches 2 beg. He could be a new beggar in town. As 4 d phone conversation, only d eyewitnes can clarify wat he heard. As 4 d police dismisal, they nid 2 give us reason y d case was dismissed
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by DeepSoul(f): 10:57am On Aug 01, 2011
^^ U are clearly biased

@Post:

Whether the beggar was Boko Haramic or not, it is clear that he was up to something. How else do you explain N13,000 credit on his phone? In these hard times  grin
His "mission" was clearly being "funded". I also wonder why he was begging for alms from people. What's the connection to bombing churches?

The biggest churches in any city are never hard to identify. If they want to bomb a church, they will simply locate it and do so. Pretending to be a beggar first makes no logical sense.

P.S: I don't think Boko Haram is dumb enough to bomb a "large" church. In Ibadan of all places.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by baslone: 11:11am On Aug 01, 2011
You are the one being biased! From your argument, you are not even giving the beggar a chance!

An innocent man was simply accused! After all the Police have said that!
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by DeepSoul(f): 11:20am On Aug 01, 2011
^^ I gave him a chance - I ruled out that he might be Boko Haram. At the same time, he was up to something. What we dont know is what! (Assuming the details of the stroy are certified true)
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by 1stestees(m): 11:48am On Aug 01, 2011
Na wa oh. Call a dog a bad name just to nail it.
The last i can recall, BH has no issues wt churhes. Their grouse is clear, they are after d police for killing dr adherents and dr spiritual master; MYusuf. They extended ds again to soldiers whenn fg replaced policemen wt soldiers in MDGRI.
Beware of those who now hide under d name of bh to commit crimes. They dont target places of religious worship
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by beeman80: 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2011
Wild wild west.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by Thatdave(m): 12:35pm On Aug 01, 2011
u guys shuld read the post again. the camoflaged begger was 'locating a church' for the attack

i just hope he was properly beatn up b4 police rescue.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by koruji(m): 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2011
Where have u been?

BH has bombed churches and warned muslims to stay away from christians - so they won't be bombed along with christians.

1st estees:

Na wa oh. Call a dog a bad name just to nail it.
The last i can recall, BH has no issues wt churhes. Their grouse is clear, they are after d police for killing dr adherents and dr spiritual master; MYusuf. They extended ds again to soldiers whenn fg replaced policemen wt soldiers in MDGRI.
Beware of those who now hide under d name of bh to commit crimes. They dont target places of religious worship
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by honeric01(m): 12:54pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^

And when mosque and the emir's palace was being bombed, you were sleeping too right? maybe some mosques look like churches and the palace had a catholic cross on the top?
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by elcij(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2011
I was in Ibadan recently and I had a long discussion with someones driver. The man is a former muslim, converted to christianity (Celestial Church).
During that conversation, Boko Haram came up and he mentioned that the word in town among Ibadan christians is that Boko Haram has begun to infiltrate Ibadan. He also said that as a former muslim activist, that he feels confident that the rumors are true.

He also said that a network of ibadan christians has been created. That they patrol churches, that the pastors remind parishoners every day to be vigilant especially around churches, places of government and buildings owned by christian churches like schools and such.

I did not believe him then but now I wonder if we will not be facing a full on religious war if things continue escalating. The Ibadan christians are not waiting for government to protect them. They've built their own security network.

Does anyone understand the significance of this? I'm worried for Nigerians.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by honeric01(m): 1:06pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^

So to bomb a church, you have to be receiving calls in public? you mean BH members are that dumb, yet JEG and the Army are yet to catch up with them?

That makes it sound like the federal government is as dumb as a baby learning the difference between fire and water.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by Pukkah: 1:27pm On Aug 01, 2011
Although the behaviour of the beggar according to the eye witness account was suspicious, but was any form of explosive, bomb, or grenade found on his person?
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by JJrawling: 1:35pm On Aug 01, 2011
@ 1st estee: I am surprised to read this nonsense from you.Do you want to tell me that you are new in Nigeria or you have not been following the modus operandi of your BH people.At the last count,they have bombed more than 6 different churches n Kaduna,Bornu,Mina and Suleja since this their madness started and you are here telling us that their targets are just the police and the Military.
May be you know something that most of us are not aware concerning the people who are bombing churches here and there, if not Bh then it must be Adamu Ciroma and his gangster of Northern Elders, Northern babies!!!
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by JJrawling: 1:40pm On Aug 01, 2011
@honeric01 , if they like,they should bombed all the mosques in the world and also bombed all the emire in the North,we don't care but you and them should be warned that if they should make the mistake of bombing any church especially in the Southern Nigeria,then that Religious war the muslims have been planning since 1981 would start immediately
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by daniellle(f): 1:41pm On Aug 01, 2011
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by blank(f): 1:44pm On Aug 01, 2011
[size=15pt]Police rescue suspected Boko Haram member in Ibadan[/size]

TRAGEDY was averted at Mokola area of Ibadan, Oyo State capital, on Sunday, when a Nigerien, suspected to be a member of the Boko Haram sect was attacked by a mob before he was rescued and taken to the Mokola Police Station in Ibadan.

The Nigerien known as Aremu Kanunu, who is said to be a beggar, reportedly escaped being lynched by an angry mob that insisted that the suspect came to infiltrate a group of beggars in the area so as to gather information that could lead to an attack on one of the churches in the city.

According to police report, however, Kanunu, who walks on crutches, was seen begging for alms at Omitowoju area, off Salvation Road, Ibadan on Thursday when he received a call on his mobile phone.

A motorist that claimed to understand Hausa said he heard him saying that he would go and cause trouble in a church at the weekend.

The beggar was pursued by the mob, arrested and beaten before being taken to the Police Station by a motorcyclist who was later confirmed by the police as a retired sergeant.

When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Moses Onireti, said he was not aware of the arrest, but promised to investigate the matter.

An Area Commander, who profered anonymity, was immediately dispatched to interrogate the suspect where he was detained at the Mokola Police Station. A team of police from the station, led by the Area Commander, also went to the spot where the suspect was said to be begging.

The police said efforts to confirm whether Kanunu was a member of the beggars association in Ibadan were unsuccessful.

However, the suspect, who spoke in Hausa, said he got to Ibadan nearly a year ago and had since been begging for alms in the area. He said trouble started when a woman (also a beggar) spat on him.

He said, “When I accused her of spitting on me, she shouted at me and started calling me a member of Boko Haram".

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108011321543
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by baslone: 1:47pm On Aug 01, 2011
Suspected Boko Haram caught while making call in public while telling someone he was on his way to blow a church!!!!   grin  grin  grin shocked  shocked     grin  cheesy
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by honeric01(m): 1:56pm On Aug 01, 2011
@JJ-rawling

If you like add georgebush to that your jj_rawling, it still won't change you from being a noise maker, if you have too much power, you can head to Borno to show part of your power to the world.

Dem go come your village still come bomb you join am and you won't do nada.

Yes, i be Hausa and yes i bi boko haram, oya bite me grin
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by obiscolly(m): 2:05pm On Aug 01, 2011
This is evidently the Boko Haramites. i dont see any reason why even the police shouldn't also think so unless they know of any other terrorist group operating in the country at the moment which they don't want us to know sad. But i believe the government would have shut dem up since they want to begin an undeserved negotiation with the cause-less BH undecided undecided
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by obiscolly(m): 2:12pm On Aug 01, 2011
TRAGEDY was averted at Mokola area of Ibadan, Oyo State capital, on Sunday, when a Nigerien, suspected to be a member of the Boko Haram sect was attacked by a mob before he was rescued and taken to the Mokola Police Station in Ibadan.

The Nigerien known as Aremu Kanunu, who is said to be a beggar, reportedly escaped being lynched by an angry mob that insisted that the suspect came to infiltrate a group of beggars in the area so as to gather information that could lead to an attack on one of the churches in the city.

According to police report, however, Kanunu, who walks on crutches, was seen begging for alms at Omitowoju area, off Salvation Road, Ibadan on Thursday when he received a call on his mobile phone.

A motorist that claimed to understand Hausa said he heard him saying that he would go and cause trouble in a church at the weekend.

The beggar was pursued by the mob, arrested and beaten before being taken to the Police Station by a motorcyclist who was later confirmed by the police as a retired sergeant.

When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Moses Onireti, said he was not aware of the arrest, but promised to investigate the matter.

An Area Commander, who profered anonymity, was immediately dispatched to interrogate the suspect where he was detained at the Mokola Police Station. A team of police from the station, led by the Area Commander, also went to the spot where the suspect was said to be begging.

The police said efforts to confirm whether Kanunu was a member of the beggars association in Ibadan were unsuccessful.

However, the suspect, who spoke in Hausa, said he got to Ibadan nearly a year ago and had since been begging for alms in the area. He said trouble started when a woman (also a beggar) spat on him.

He said, “When I accused her of spitting on me, she shouted at me and started calling me a member of Boko Haram".

What else do you call this this is clearly BH. and pls what's the connection between spitting on him and being a Boko Haramite? Stupid and nonsensical excuse!
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by baslone: 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2011
Guy!! For my area, we jokingly refer to Aboki's for my area as BH! We call them Boko Haram to their faces while threatening to send them back to their source!
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by SANCTO: 3:15pm On Aug 01, 2011
To the best of my knowledge, 'ts God that arrested the BUHARI/ATIKUHARAM. Also i want to tell all my southern brithers to be on alert.

BWT;does all religion preach peace, why is violence all over the world always link to one religion?
that religion then must have been built on the alter of terrorism and holiganism.

Hausas and the entire Northerners thought that power is their birthright. "Born to Rule mentality" they will recieve more shock in 2015. maybe that was the basis for U.S security report in the year 2000.

The northerners should start investing in their Parm froduce (farm produce) to enable them stand the post 2015 Nigerian state since Odua and Biafra will fall back on their god given resources. My sympathy goes to the middle belters because Islamization is on the way. Since the discovery that Usman Dan fodio was killed in Benue state, Dangote and his co-Northern elites will leave no stone on turn to retalliate. where is Benue cement?- Phase one successful.

the Christians in the North should adopt the Igbo Idea in Kano. ONE MAN, ONE GUN. then be ready for the uncompleted mission of usman dan fodio.
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by buy1get3(m): 4:20pm On Aug 01, 2011
God wont agree with your plans towards south west o(BH)
Re: Suspected Boko Haram Agent Arrested In Ibadan by DanArewa1: 9:25pm On Aug 01, 2011
If Boko Haram wants to carry out any attack i dnt tink they will waste their time disguising lyk a begger

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens / Third Mainland Bridge To Get Street Lights In April / If You Are GEJ, Can You Sack This Beutiful Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.