Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? (3602 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by marcus1234: 9:15pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by kizito96(m): 10:17pm On Aug 25, 2011
I changed mine. In physics there is what we call the " law of radiation and attraction" What ever you radiate is what you attract. Your name some times influences your being. Please change yours.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
In Yoruba, it will either sound like this, 'Eran awon Irumole' or Eran awon Agba'. I did like it if your friend's name is ' Eran Iyami Oshoronga (meat for Witches). lol,

To answer your question, I don't think it's an abomination for him to change his name, nothing will happen if he does change his name. Why do Africans fear a lot? Our fear of gods, spirits and witches is unjustifiable and hinders our progress as a continent, hence you thinking it's an abomination to change a native name.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by bamosagie(m): 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
@what.lfy
you are calling for "libya type" revolution in a country with diverse mix as nigeria, and you say you are a peace loving christian. brother lets face it, islam means peace in arabic, we all know what happen each time an islamic radical call for revolution. your call is inciting and could lead to different comprehension for different folks.
imagine what an educated man(that control resources for destruction) with sympathy for the like of boko haram or mend will do on october 1, think of someone that have access to explosive, who probably lost a brother, cousin, son or daughter in the north after election, think of the youth corpers that went through traumatic experience in nothern part of the country and tell me if the kind of revolution they have in mind is a peaceful christian type.
your intention may be wonderful, but calling for this kind of revolution on social network could boomerang, if you truly want a better nigeria, start by organizing seminars and workshop for the police, then civil servant, hopefully by the time you get to politicians, we would have a new nigeria.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by chimauzo1(m): 10:51pm On Aug 25, 2011
Your name is your identity,Nigerian's mentality is too low.There are families you will go,u will find out that their children cannot speak their native languages.We don't value our culture,though there are names that really needs to be changed because of their rotten meaning,but i will advice even if you change the name,look for another name from that same tribe or ethnic group,so your culture will be promoted.Even the whites places a very high premium on their culture.BE WISE.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by StudioCFR(m): 11:35pm On Aug 25, 2011
grin grin
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Effiko(m): 1:39am On Aug 26, 2011
kizito96:

I changed mine. In physics there is what we call the " law of radiation and attraction" What ever you radiate is what you attract. Your name some times influences your being. Please change yours.

well said ! ! ! . . .mehn if ma name no comot road i go tel ma parents mak dem change am ooo
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 5:52am On Aug 26, 2011
Rastamann:

It is just a name, so whats the stress? Why have the gods' not eaten him since all these years?
waitin for him to mature,i guess.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by juman(m): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2011
This is strange. Parents always give their children good names.

But in that case, the man should be using another of his name. Because its very common for people to have many names.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by talktrue1(m): 10:51am On Aug 26, 2011
Has george BUSH or bill GATE changed their own name? Don't u know the meaning of Bush
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Koolking(m): 12:48pm On Aug 26, 2011
name ain't a thing. Your parents were not foolish to give you that name.

One of the most powerful families in the world bears 'BUSH'. George Bush. Can you change that?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Merc: 10:55pm On Aug 26, 2011
"Meat for ancestors". I like that name o!
grin
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Effiko(m): 7:34am On Aug 27, 2011
^^^^ de name 4 fit u
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:31am On Aug 31, 2011
shut up and leave your native name as it is. you are luck in the first place to atleast have an identity and connection with your past. dont lose it. angry angry angry angry

*stupid church is brainwashing ur egg-size brains. angry angry tongue
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by nsodo: 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2011
Most of the Native Names are given with a purpose and reason and they carry a lot of meaning so it is totally bad to change a name given to you because even if you change the one you get adds nothing to you.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by tpia5: 5:34pm On Aug 31, 2011
pagan naija

what's with your church fixation?

the original post did not mention anything about church.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:58pm On Aug 31, 2011
tpia@:

pagan naija

what's with your church fixation?

the original post did not mention anything about church.

who else will have influenced this deluded man the way he said excommunicated names and his reaction i clearly due to church influence.

one cannot be have so prejudiced feelings against something, from birth, without learning it somewhere.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by tpia5: 2:34am On Sep 01, 2011
^he said his parents named him "meat for the ancestors".

do you need to be christian before you understand what's wrong?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2011
^i was talking about the poster.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2011
A rose is by any other name is still a rose?

Should Sharon Stone hold her head in shame because Stone is considered an inanimate object in eGuerrilla's culture?
I know of a certain Segun Apata who became Victory Rock, btw - cultural suicide, if ever I witnessed one.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_xXFuPRCNMBQ/S3UDGA8JW-I/AAAAAAAABxQ/grJRhtP4ivQ/s320/n595409180_1230711_3712-704965.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_xXFuPRCNMBQ/S3UDFF2_EsI/AAAAAAAABw4/B_TRz98f1Vg/s320/5568_1199257146730_1387586310_30575937_7206215_n-700542.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_xXFuPRCNMBQ/S3UDFblwM8I/AAAAAAAABxA/V7V8fAmOx90/s320/5611_1217412396322_1259235258_659792_5022191_n-701717.jpg[/img]
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by solbil: 12:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
many people here just missed it woefully! We forget that there are many african names that are not meant to be taken literally. That name could also pass for "gift for the ancestors" infact thats what it is. I just asked a tiv friend of mine.

In the tiv culture, there are some religious rites that are performed. And in this ritual, a meat is set aside for the ancestors or Gods sometimes a whole cow. The meat is shared according to age and some is reserved for the ancestors. We know as africans that that which is left for the ancestors, you dont touch! So when i call anyone that name, i am actually telling the world "dont touch!" which is still in line with the bible teaching of "touch not my anointed..."
so, i dont understand it when christians are the ones who cannot understand this! The name is in the ranks of the likes of ikechukwu.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Say "happy Birthday" And "i Love You" In Ishan? / The Orikis Of All Yoruba Subgroups (videos) / It Has Arrived! An Animation Based On Pre-colonial African Kingdoms!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.