Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,719 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria (3711 Views)

Kogi Is The Only State In Nigeria Neighboring 10 States (photo Map) / Breaking News: Kogi State Is Under Attack Right Now. DSS Office Under Siege! / Breaking News SUNTAI DANBABA Gov Of Taraba State Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by makizee(m): 7:16pm On Aug 01, 2011
, Apart from Lagos being the eyes by which the world sees Nigeria, i would say the people and government of Lagos does not discriminate against any tribe in Nigeria even Non Nigerians which is why everybody continues to come here, All the tribes are represented in the Lagos Civil service, same cannot be said about other states which is why they remain backward while Lagos marches into a brighter rewarding future, NOTE, No society truly develops by its own people alone.

Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by revolt(m): 11:08pm On Aug 01, 2011
and the longest nigerian federal capital territory dummy, think bout it if you can
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by volasunkan: 11:26pm On Aug 01, 2011
@ revolt,the OP is only crediting the natives for seeing and grabbing wot Calabar(Nigeria's 1st capital)failed to see or grab!
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by CyberG: 9:36am On Aug 02, 2011
@Post, I so agree with YOU! It is the VERY same reason why America is the most advanced nation on the planet with people from everywhere and you will feel that you belong. It's only a place like America that would owe more than $14 Tr. in debt yet has not sunk and can come out of it, hopefully no more wars, wars, wars!!! angry angry angry

In some other countries, you could hardly feel or be at home so people just go there, make some money, take and run away with whatever they can get to America. Among other reasons, that is why places like Italy, Greece, Spain, etc, etc will find it hard to take on that kind of debt and survive it! Most people know that some of those countries have so much racism, it is not even worth leaving Naija to go and live there!
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by Greenpro: 9:42am On Aug 02, 2011
Lagos is a own for all Nigerians.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by revolt(m): 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2011
so calabar failed to grab the opportunity. so the indigenes in lagos kept it as the capital with juju cos i dnt really know of true influential omo eko if theres anything like the original owners. think the place has settlers more or less.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by makizee(m): 10:29am On Aug 03, 2011
Exactly my point, if other states can become less ethnocentric and accept all with open arms, (no pun intended), 9ja will be better for it.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by phantom(m): 1:40pm On Aug 03, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 1:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
<quote>

All the tribes are represented in the Lagos Civil service, same cannot be said about other states which is why they remain backward while Lagos marches into a brighter rewarding future, NOTE, No society truly develops by its own people alone.

</quote>

Lagos progress and development had nothing to do with diverse representation. It was doing very well fr centuries before other Nigerians knew there was a place called Lagos and how to get to it and it was only Yorubas in it and ruling it then. While diversity is good for some things its also destructive for the culture and some other things.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by Yeske2(m): 2:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<quote>

All the tribes are represented in the Lagos Civil service, same cannot be said about other states which is why they remain backward while Lagos marches into a brighter rewarding future, NOTE, No society truly develops by its own people alone.

</quote>

Lagos progress and development had nothing to do with diverse representation. It was doing very well fr centuries before other Nigerians knew there was a place called Lagos and how to get to it and it was only Yorubas in it and ruling it then. While diversity is good for some things its also destructive for the culture and some other things.
wrong!
Lagos was backward as every other part of the country and more backward to be used as a war camp(eko) by the binis before the advent of the colonialist. Lagos became more developed later due to its status as the nation's capital
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 2:21pm On Aug 03, 2011
The only reason it became capital was because it already was a promising and thriving territory and didn't require much input by the colonialists to get it going - it had established its own footing before their arrival.

I will post a link later for you to read and hear what the missionaries said about Lagos and Yorubaland generally. The missionaries had been all over the South and were familiar with what was where and who was where but yet they endorsed the one that, to them, was the equivalent of what Olympus was to the Greece.

I will post the link and people can read it.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 2:23pm On Aug 03, 2011
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by BigMeat2: 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
A place for everybody.

Every tribe in Nigeria is well represented in Lagos.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by 080ictcom(f): 3:21pm On Aug 03, 2011
Yes, in your own eyes but remember it is the eastern citizens that makes it possible. Thanks to the Government of Lagos because It is the government that makes it possible by coordinating peoples money to work from them. Can u also come to Enugu state and see what is going on in that state
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by wise(m): 3:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
Of a truth, Lagos is now a matured State because those days of ethnic or tribal violence are long gone.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by ovo4u(m): 3:49pm On Aug 03, 2011
phantom:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@phantom Honestly speaking, you just made my day with that beautiful picture you just post here, Oh My God, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by Dede1(m): 4:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
makizee:

, Apart from Lagos being the eyes by which the world sees Nigeria, i would say the people and government of Lagos does not discriminate against any tribe in Nigeria even Non Nigerians which is why everybody continues to come here, All the tribes are represented in the Lagos Civil service, same cannot be said about other states which is why they remain backward while Lagos marches into a brighter rewarding future, NOTE, No society truly develops by its own people alone.

I am not sure the originator of this thread lived in Lagos. If he or she does live in Lagos, then certainly he or she must be Yoruba or clone of Yoruba (non-Yoruba who has a low ancestral mentality).

It was in Lagos, as a Nigerian, I first heard the phrase “go back to your country” from Yoruba adult to a non-Yoruba on disagreement over anything from “bucket of tape water to Danfo seat”.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by babaowo: 4:11pm On Aug 03, 2011
nah today? E don tey
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by shollyboy2: 4:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
@poster you are so so right. when i went to Lagos secretariats some months back. i met staffs that are NOn-Yoruba there, .but it was not like that when i went to kwara secretariat
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by nagoma(m): 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2011
Lagos has been the Capital City of Nigeria from a very long time before independence to after independence and to effectively 1991 when the then president IBB moved to Abuja (up to a total of 80yrs for both colonial post amalgamation and independant Nigeria's capital) . The Federal Ministries followed suit gradually over the following 10 years. Lagos is still the commercial capital of Nigeria and all these gives lagos a unique position to be cosmopolitant. I do not think it is due to special efforts of the lagos indegenous population in hospitality and in accepting other Nigerians as brothers and sisters. As a matter of fact Lagos by now should boast of polical leaders in government whose roots ar from all over Nigeria. However compared to places like Jos, Lagosis a model Nigerian City. I will also remind you that a one time governor of Kano state Sabo Bakin Zuwo is Nupe orgin from Niger state and of recent Ibrahim Shekarau has his roots in Biu - the Babur tribe of Borno State. There are hundreds of families from all over Nigeria who are fully accepted as Kano indegenes holding government positions and traditional titles, and  the Emir of Kano will be the first to fight you if you describe them as non indegenes.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by daywatcher: 4:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
when are going to stop seeing tower blocks as a sign of progress in Lagos?
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by 2mch(m): 4:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
nagoma:

Lagos has been the Capital City of Nigeria from a very long time after independence and to effectively 1991 when the then president IBB moved to Abuja. The Federal Ministries followed suit gradually over the following 10 years. Lagos is still the commercial capital of Nigeria and all these gives lagos a unique position to be cosmopolitant. I do not think it is due to special efforts of the lagos indegenous population in hospitality and in accepting other Nigerians as brothers and sisters. As a matter of fact Lagos by now should boast of polical leaders in government whose roots ar from all over Nigeria. However compared to places like Jos, Lagosis a model Nigerian City. I will also remind you that a one time governor of Kano state Sabo Bakin Zuwo is Nupe orgin from Niger state and of recent Ibrahim Shekarau has his roots in Biu - the Babur tribe of Borno State. There are hundreds of families from all over Nigeria who are fully accepted as Kano indegenes holding government positions and traditional titles, and  the Emir of Kano will be the first to fight you if you describe them as non indegenes.

Lagos was named Capital because of its strategic location and already thriving commercial hub. Before the days of the whites and even during slavery lagos was already thriving as a commercial hub. This is why it was made a Capital for so long. And also why Oyinbo's found it easier to govern from Lagos. It was already thriving and the people were very used to dealing with foreigners and being very accommodating to them. Even before whites came, Lagos witnessed a heavy of influx of people especially Yoruba's from other states because of its easy access to the sea. It has always had a high population of people. People should stop lying that Lagos is what it is because it was a state capital. Why didnt Calabar and even Abuja attain such heights? The fact is without being the capital, Lagos will still have grown to its potential. Its ports especially make it what it is, and also the ingenuity of its indegenes. They were always heavy traders in all kinds of goods. Slaves, pepper, fish e.t.c
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by islamrules(m): 5:04pm On Aug 03, 2011
Either Lagos belongs to the Igbos or not, Either it belongs to the hausas or not. Either you like it or not, Lagos is a Yoruba state. The majority is Yoruba, from Agege to Lagos Island, it is dominated by Yorubas.

Either you like it or not, it is an Odua state.

If Nigeria breaks 2morow, they wont break it and patch it with Enugu. It is still going to be very close to Ibadan and Ogun state. Folks, Keep dreaming. Everybody wants good thing!

"There is nobody called Omo Eko ?" Come let me take you to Isale Eko. May be you leave in these mordern estates, thats why u are dreaming.

Yorubas Owns Eko! Visitors are welcome anyways. Or may be we should patch it will maiduguri looooooooooll
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by nagoma(m): 5:12pm On Aug 03, 2011
@2mch

Nobody is disputing the growth of Lagos as a trade center even before its position as a capital.

The thread seemws to be talking about the maturity of the indegenes in accepting others i.e. hospitality, Which was obviously helped by by the stututory situation lagos found itself over the years.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by 2mch(m): 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2011
nagoma:

@2mch

Nobody is disputing the growth of Lagos as a trade center even before its position as a capital.

The thread seemws to be talking about the maturity of the indegenes in accepting others i.e. hospitality, Which was obviously helped by by the stututory situation lagos found itself over the years.

It is not about the statutory situation, it is just their way of life in Lagos. A high population, means more investments and more people to sell your goods to. This has always been the case. But  this was the case mostly for the surrounding Yoruba states in the old days. Of recent it has grown to include the whole of Nigeria, because of better road networks and infrastructure (Although terrible). We should also realise that it was Lagos Island that was the capital, not the whole Lagos. And Lagos Island is hardly the best part of Lagos.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by ikooko(m): 8:12pm On Aug 03, 2011
@poster
You remind me of KWAM-1 song that says:
Amun sá ni ilu eko, ko ku ni gbe, meaning lagos is a big pot of water that will never dry, anybody can come and drink but not to turn mario.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by swaggerboi2011: 10:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by playboy19(m): 10:32pm On Aug 04, 2011
What iritates me the most about all these idiiots that comes to flood lagos is that after few years, they'll forget where they come from and start saying lagos is every man's land. When infact, there are real omo-onile.

Turn the hospitality and accomodating nature of the lagosian against them, buncha morrroons
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by DaLover(m): 11:34pm On Aug 04, 2011
Where the hell do you people get off this stupid train of rubbing this 'Lagos rules' issues in our faces?

Please lagos and Nigeria, as presently constitued and run are backward, so don't give me the 'we are all blind, but you are blinder than me treatment' because that is just the kind of bullshit that gets other nigerians pissed,

I really feel people who decide to rub this sort of rubish in our faces (the most mature state, the most hospitable indegienes, the most ingenious indgienes) are lacking several files in the compartment of their heads relating to exposure, otherwise they should be lamenting that over 80years of pouring national resourses into that part of the country has not had the expected ripple effects on the rest of the country, they seam to be happy that even though lagos is as backward as it is, it is better than enugu or other parts of nigeria.

This is the sort of reasoning that will get them very irritated when other sections of the country look like they may overtake lagos in terms of development.

The history of great countries cannot be told without leading roles of thier key cities in development of their economies.
The rise of the UK cannot be told without role of london, USA without newyork, China without Beijing etc,
In nigeria all we see is ignorant lagocians laf and mock the rest of the country for not beig sharp or lucky enuf to corner as much national resources as possible.

Please expose yourselves, being the commerical capital that has enjoyed so much infrastructural development does not in anyway make you better, you has better wipe that tot for your mind, cos you are stiill part of a very backward country.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by playboy19(m): 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2011
DaLover:

Where the hell do you people get off this silly train of rubbing this 'Lagos rules' issues in our faces?

Please lagos and Nigeria, as presently constitued and run are backward, so don't give me the 'we are all blind, but you are blinder than me treatment' because that is just the kind of bullshit that gets other nigerians pissed,

I really feel people who decide to rub this sort of rubish in our faces (the most mature state, the most hospitable indegienes, the most ingenious indgienes) are lacking several files in the compartment of their heads relating to exposure, otherwise they should be lamenting that over 80years of pouring national resourses into that part of the country has not had the expected ripple effects on the rest of the country, they seam to be happy that even though lagos is as backward as it is, it is better than enugu or other parts of nigeria.

This is the sort of reasoning that will get them very irritated when other sections of the country look like they may overtake lagos in terms of development.

The history of great countries cannot be told without leading roles of thier key cities in development of their economies.
The rise of the UK cannot be told without role of london, USA without newyork, China without Beijing etc,
In nigeria all we see is ignorant lagocians laf and mock the rest of the country for not beig sharp or lucky enuf to corner as much national resources as possible.

Please expose yourselves, being the commerical capital that has enjoyed so much infrastructural development does not in anyway make you better, you has better wipe that tot for your mind, cos you are stiill part of a very backward country.

As if other states doesn't get their checks monthly from the government. And hey, it is Nigeria and not nigeria. If you respect the USA, UK and China enough to Capitalize writing their names, then you should to Nigeria too.
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by DaLover(m): 8:09am On Aug 05, 2011
playboy19:

As if other states doesn't get their checks monthly from the government. And hey, it is Nigeria and not nigeria. If you respect the USA, UK and China enough to Capitalize writing their names, then you should to Nigeria too.

Thanks for the spell checking, i would like to imagin that there is more upstairs to contribute than this,

All states collect money from the center, yes they do indeed, but y world people from one of these same states make it a point of duty to beat their chest at every single opportunity, what is the real contribution of lagos to the development of this nation? that is a more important question to be answered. The answer to this question should determine how Lagosians brag about this lagos everytime.

These same people look down on the rest of nigeria with glee but when BBC and CNN publish reports about the real lagos they cry foul to the high heavens, Talk about hypocracy
Re: Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria by aljharem3: 8:19am On Aug 05, 2011
DaLover:

All states collect money from the center, yes they do indeed, but y world people from one of these same states make it a point of duty to beat their chest at every single opportunity, what is the real contribution of lagos to the development of this nation? that is a more important question to be answered. The answer to this question should determine how Lagosians brag about this lagos everytime.

dude please stop talking rubbish here

does lagos collect money from the centre ?

when last has the country given allocation to lagos?

all the jobs created for people, what about that?

the fish farming and agriculture produce in lagos can feed only lagosian but the bearing of migrates from other parts mostly from the east is affecting the state and its bugets

also, lagos is putting the country to worlds stage thanks to the people of lagos

psquare,Dbanj, nollywood etc would not be here today if not for Allah/God and the people lagos

what other state unites Nigeria if not lagos

pls mention one. Lagos is even called the mini Nigeria

Revenue generated by foreign investors in Lagos alone, is sustanting all those pot-belly politicains

Oil revenue is lagos is another thing.

all thanks to Lagos,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan's Obvious Mistakes And Perceptions / Check Out First Lady's Revealing Outfit at Her Brother-in-law's Burial(see pics) / Aguleri Boys Attacked Kogi; Killed 4 And Dislaced Hundreds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.