Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,513 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP (20138 Views)

APC Ticket: When I Was Almost Fed Up, I Resorted To Prayers – Tinubu / I Was Anointed Presidential Candidate By Late Shehu Yar’adua In 1993 – Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by wwwihy: 10:55am On Aug 01, 2022
Last Friday, Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), criticised the decision of Bola Tinubu, presidential flagbearer of the All Progressives Congress (APC), to choose a Muslim as his running mate.

Atiku disclosed that his “fundamental disagreement” with Tinubu since 2007 was the idea of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

“Tinubu wanted to be my running mate when I was given the ACN presidential ticket in 2007, but I disagreed. And because of that, he switched his support to the late Umar Yar’Adua. That was the parting point,” Atiku had said.

Responding to Atiku’s comment, Tinubu described the PDP candidate as a “pathological liar”, saying he offered him the vice-presidential ticket.

However, the account of Bisi Akande, former APC interim chairman, documented in his autobiography titled: ‘My Participations’ shows how Atiku opposed the nomination of the former Lagos governor as his running mate.

In 2007, Akande, a former Osun governor, was the national chairman of the Action Congress (AC), to which Atiku and Tinubu belonged.

Although recent developments indicate Atiku’s opposition to a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket — but was that always the case?

HOW ATIKU FARED IN 1993 SDP PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY

Atiku’s first shot at the presidency was the 1993 presidential election on the platform of the Social Democratic Party (SDP). Atiku contested the SDP presidential primary which took place in Jos, Plateau state capital.

In the first ballot of the primary, Atiku came third with 2,066 votes, Babagana Kingibe placed second with 3,225 votes while Moshood Abiola won the election with 3,617 votes. Because the margin between Abiola and Kingibe was not up to 400 votes, a second ballot was declared to determine the final winner.

Before the second ballot, Abiola was said to have made an unwritten agreement with Atiku and his camp that the latter should support him in exchange for a vice-presidential slot.

During the second ballot, the three leading candidates were asked to address the delegates, and when it was Atiku’s turn, the former vice-president withdrew from the race and asked his supporters to support Abiola.

Abiola later won the second ballot with 2,683 votes to defeat Kingibe who scored 2,456 votes.

Despite Atiku’s withdrawal in support of Abiola, the late businessman picked the ex-diplomat who came second in the primary as his running mate. The Abiola-Kingibe partnership was a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

The former vice-president, in his autobiography, titled: ‘My Life’, said there was an agreement that he would support Abiola’s candidacy for a vice-presidential candidate slot.

He added that Shehu Musa Yar’Adua’s group, to which he belonged, was angry that Abiola reneged on the agreement.

“I contested and won the SDP presidential primary in Adamawa State in March 1993. Moshood Abiola, 55 years old, and Babagana Kingibe, 48, had also won in their respective states,” Atiku wrote.

“Altogether, 27 of us from various states converged in Jos in March 1993 to contest the SDP Presidential ticket at the national convention of the party.

“I campaigned on the need for a strong economy with agriculture as a top priority. I promised Nigerians that their collective interest would count first when far-reaching economic decisions were being taken.

“I said I would run a true federalism if elected president. To stop Kingibe, whom we all believed had betrayed our group, the Yar Adua group resolved to negotiate with Abiola.

“We would support Abiola’s candidacy for the presidency in return for making me his running mate. We met Abiola and his key advisers and agreed to go to the Jos convention to push for an Abiola-Atiku ticket.

“Thereafter, we would harmonize our campaign structures and finances. At the end of the first ballot, Abiola came first with 3,617 votes. Kingibe came a close second with 3,225 votes. I came third with 2,066 votes.

“We met again with Abiola. We agreed that I should step down for Abiola in the final round of voting. I agreed to subordinate my personal ambition for the sake of democracy.

“I was ready for any personal sacrifice that could end military rule in Nigeria. In the two-way race between Abiola and Kingibe, Abiola triumphed with 2,683 votes to Kingibe s 2,456 votes.

“However, Abiola refused to honour the agreement to make me his running mate. He picked Babagana Kingibe. Yar Adua was angry over Abiola s betrayal. I knew it would be difficult to persuade him to support Abiola again.

“I was concerned about our party. Without the support of the Yar Adua group, the SDP could lose the presidential election to the NRC whose Bashir Tofa, then 46, was generally thought to be inexperienced.”

https://www.thecable.ng/rewind-in-1993-atiku-supported-muslim-muslim-ticket-when-he-wanted-to-be-abiolas-running-mate

101 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Kiddinpoh(m): 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Las las, everybody na hypocrites

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by dudusky007(m): 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Politics!!! No ever die 4 politicians

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by abobote: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
1999 is not 2023

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
1993, was a different time

In 1993, people just wanted the army out. Even large swathes of the army wanted out of government. Plus, Sdp was seen as favourable to the South, and to Christians, NRC was seen as the party of the 'Northern elite', which in turn made it anathema to Northern Christians.

The same divisions were there...between Muslims and christians as they are now. It was just that Nigeria wanted democratic rule. All our neighbours were changing over to democracies...even poor Niger REPUBLIC...

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Karlovich: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
embarassed That's the reason why everyone should become OBIdient, PDP and APC have failed Nigerians

It's time for a new process with Labour Party.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Josephkabila12: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Okay. Politicians are liers

6 Likes

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by BATified2023: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
One thing I get to understand about this election is that people criticizing tinubu will do more than him if they were in his shoes

They will gladly pick same religion ticket if they were in his shoes but here the hypocrites are telling us another story

The same people screaming Islamization agenda are the same people who stopped kumuyi from coni to do crusade in aba

I can’t just imagine what they would have said if it was el rufai that stopped kumuyi from doing crusade in kaduna

106 Likes 8 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by rusher14: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Atiku would support anything that includes him.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
So you're saying they're both desperate? The more reason why everyone needs to vote Peter Obi to save Nigeria.

They said one person "built" Lagos, and Lagos is "paradise". But the person still goes abroad for common medical treatment. And the same Lagos is one of the worst cities to live in the world. Cassava and agbado people are starting to sound like illiterates.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Lanre4uonly(m): 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
The more you look, the less you see when it comes to Nigeria politics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by kokoye(m): 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Politics is a very dirty game..but must be played.

All of them will say or do anything to win especially in Nigeria where the politicians have no ideology.

Smh.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by rusher14: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
Vote Tinubu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Mattallaa(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
You can just imagine
Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Kingpele(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Atiku is greedy no doubt and very selfish plus the fact obj said he is a thief...but I have one word for those supporting tinubu, what did tinubu did in lagos to the extent he had to Lord it over them till date ..the only crime of lagosians was to give the osun man the mantle to govern them for 8years since then he has refused to hand over the reigns of office in the true word of it to lagosians to choose their leaders nor did he truly hand over power to governors he appointed to the people..any governor that disagree with him, he will dethroned and put another person..lagos state is not practicing democracy at all, rather lagos is practicing tinubucracy, government of tinubu and for tinubu...is it what these urchins want us to replicate on the federal level.nawa..but on the other hand when Peter obi colleagues were scheming to go to senate ,he stay away from politics to pay attention to his numerous businesses till that thief atiku drag him out in 2019..the difference is clear, give power to busy men later they will go back to their business but if u give power to lazy thieves, they will hover around power forever..

8 Likes

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Emmyreal4(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Scammers
Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Qtrpst4: 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Anything to clean tinubu panpas

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Bethel4Life(f): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Just imagine

This thread no reach 2 comments, they don send am to front page immediately kiss

1 Like

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Trapnews: 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
grin Obedient!

1 Like

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Kentuforchrist(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Like for obi
Share for Agbado

25 Likes 20 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by 1gbdata: 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
Obedient is better than Sacrifice

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by blackpanda: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
Hmmmm

The most sincere and honest of the three is Tinubu. He tells it as it is.
No lies or bogus empty promises.

Sai Tinubu cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Kingzeez10: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
An average Nigerian is a criminal. They only frowns at it when they're not benefitting from it.

3 Likes

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Quopedia: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
That one no concern us https://quopedia..com
Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Chiedu4Trump: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
Will the Muslims ever support a Christian-Christian ticket? NEVER

Kaduna had only one Christian Gov & they killed him.

When Murtala Muhammed was killed, OBJ as his 2nd in command took over.

With OBJ as president, the next officer rank wise was Danjuma.

But becos Danjuma is Christian the post went to Yar'Adua

3 Likes

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Qtrpst4: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
Coming from the cables, tinubu media dry cleaning business

1 Like

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by blackpanda: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
Kentuforchrist:
Like for obi
Share for Agbado

Tinubu is the next President cool

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by nesphil(m): 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2022
Nigeria of 1993 is not the Nigeria of today.
Times have changed, and there's nothing you guys will say to justify this level of stupidity.
Muslim-Muslim ticket is dead on arrival.
wwwihy:

https://www.thecable.ng/rewind-in-1993-atiku-supported-muslim-muslim-ticket-when-he-wanted-to-be-abiolas-running-mate

3 Likes

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by Qtrpst4: 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2022
Carry am for head and make hem president nah
blackpanda:

Tinubu is the next President cool

1 Like

Re: In 1993, Atiku Supported Muslim-muslim Ticket When He Wanted To Be Abiola's VP by posty56: 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2022
r

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor's Office Workers Locked Out For Coming Late In Ilorin, Kwara State (pic / List Of Panelists At Alaigbo Youth Summit Causes Controversy / 3 PDP, 2 APC Governors, 35 Senators Set To Join SDP – Spokesperson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.