Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (59018 Views)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help / Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? / Civil Engineering Vs Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 11:01am On Jul 07, 2008
Its Kindda like a debate,

You dont necessarily have to be an enigineering/medical student, Dr./Engr. to partake.

Simply defend your stand with supportive claims,

Should be a good forum to get a good glimpse of what each field really entails.

I'd say Engineering is tougher. Starting with problem solving, Complex equations and all. In medicine, the formula is just to stay consistent with your books( thats quite cool if you love reading).
Check out the circuits on your Laptop, do you have a clue of whats going on in it? Or imagine how bridges have been built accross oceans, Not to mention engineers' Overwhelming contribution to the medical world.

Your turn.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Wheelspin(m): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2008
Of course Engineering it is.

Through brainwracking problem solving techniques, a lotta products have been painstakingly invented to make life more comfortable. Now, an even greater challenge lies in getting people to pay for such products in order to earn a living from what you've created.

People will always fall sick, so medics dont need to hustle hard for the dow.

Medics, Where y'all at?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Blingirl(f): 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2008
@wheelspin
Its the engineers who've got all the time in the world to debate their worth. medics don't have such time.

I'll be more than thrilled to see medical minds back me up. Ever heard of Doctors having long sessions of leave? You work, work and work, plus there's always the exams to check your proficiency!!

Now tell me, is that not challenging enough?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 5:24pm On Jul 08, 2008
Wheelspin u've hit the realest situation, People always have a notion of thinking technology is expensive. Well thats why most engineers go for courses in Business/Marketing (which still poses a challenge)

Blingirl, its nice u've highlighted the buzy bodied nature of the the medical world, but time management should be a factor that distinguishes sound medics.

All the same, nice points from you 2.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Wallie(m): 2:12am On Jul 09, 2008
I don't know which one is harder but Electromagnetics 1 was brutal! I would actually love to take it over just to see if I would still feel the same.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Blingirl(f): 8:45am On Jul 09, 2008
Who mentioned equations? Una fit try the chemical complex pathways wey dey biochemistry?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Wheelspin(m): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2008
U never See anythino shocked, wen u jam stuffs like Barkhausen equations, Nyquist criteria, Channel and source coding, u go no ha'fa!!!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 8:59am On Jul 09, 2008
Blingirl:

Who mentioned equations? Una fit try the chemical complex pathways wey dey biochemistry?
grin You could have imployed a better argument. Walking the equation path will easily dash the engineers the victory. Chemical complex pathways is nothing foreign to chemical engineers, be sure of it lol.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2008
I would think it's a toss up between the two.  Engineering is more notoriously known for its brutal and insane undergrad difficulty.  Medical doctors on the other hand are put through a comparable test in medical school.  The amount of work you have to go through to become a MD is ridiculous.  Stress is the engineer's best friend.  The insurmountable amount of work absolutely keeps you on your tippy toes.

Both drain you mentally and physically.  Only the strongest of the strong survive; wholesome stamina is needed.

Attention to detail is compulsory in both fields. One screw up by the medical doctor could be the loss of a life, or a missed significant figure by the engineer could send a building collapsing.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 12:05pm On Jul 09, 2008
Enlightening contribution CH3COO.

One screw up by the medical doctor could be the loss of a life, or a missed significant figure by the engineer could send a building collapsing.

At least only a life would be lost on a Doctor's mistake, Its on a grosser scale for the Engineer.

Both drain you mentally and physically
Both being a quest for knowledge should enrich rather than drain.

Chemical complex pathways is nothing foreign to chemical engineers
This fingers u out in favor of engineering.

All the same, nice points.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
@wheelspin

You never See anythino Shocked, when u jam stuffs like Barkhausen equations, Nyquist criteria, Channel and source coding, u go no ha'fa!!!

LOL, tell em', I'm guessing you're doing something related to signal processing. Mehn thats some up and down thinking route to go!!!

1 Like

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 12:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
Kai! Na wayo be that one.  Never place that kind of value on a life.  Saying something like "only a life" is inflammatory and sick.  You don't know how valuable that life was to the family that loses it.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 12:15pm On Jul 09, 2008
Both do enrich, but at the same tiem they drain. Mental a

nd physical drainage is no joke when it comes to these fields. There's a reason so many of y'all in these fields are constipated.

About the chemical processing statement. I wasn't going to use that to jump on the bandwagon of the engineers but I just had to point it out to her. It weakened her argument.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Moyola(f): 12:17pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ topic

which is more challenging?,,,,,,,IMO it dpendz,,,,,,both r uniquely challenging
hw abt Medi-neering?,,,,,,,,,whn u combine both
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 12:20pm On Jul 09, 2008
Na true sha, but I go still value boku life pass one soul. Matter of factly, before person go see doctor, in most cases d person ill, u no know whether na in time to kpai. unlike all of a sudden, hale and hearty people dey jolly for high-rise building, e com collapse!!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 12:34pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ Moyola

Yeah, the combination would mean an extra challenge. I know of Medical Engineering and Medical Instrumentation as courses. I guess the challenge would lie in the undergraduate years. Let me be a little fair with the Docs, grabbing that MD seat as stated by CH3COO is quite a daunting task.

Engineers, am still with y'all. Its takes a lotta muscles and sweating out to get most of your jobs done.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by jaybee3(m): 12:49pm On Jul 09, 2008
both r very challenging

engineering is not for the narrow minded because of the broad thinking and innovative ideas involved

medicine gets more challenging when qualified because of the nature of work being carried out (having someone's life depend on your speciality)

engineering does compliment medicine a lot though.
Their is current talk of imperial college engineering students developing new robots to be used in surgeries
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2008
Cockpitboy:

Engineers, am still with y'all. Its takes a lotta muscles and sweating out to get most of your jobs done.
yep. so much muscles even a woman can lift it. embarassed

as far as incorpation of the two, just think:
bioengineering
biomedical engineering
bioelectrical engineering
biomechanical engineering
etc
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Blingirl(f): 12:56pm On Jul 09, 2008
Y is everyone trying to sit on the fence, Its not too difficult to see the point. Medicine trumps Engineering. Doctors are always on their toes, go to the hospitals u'll see, that is why their pay is way higher than any other career's. Still need more pare rises though. wink wink wink
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Blingirl(f): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2008
Sorry peops, pay not pare shocked, part of som sweedish slang got in the way.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Wheelspin(m): 2:09pm On Jul 09, 2008
uh uh!!!! my peopul, choose sides oh, I was just reading through wif ma kid sister and she's gotten kind of indecisive on what to go for when she opts for tertiary studies.

Please defend one of the courses not both.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by CH3COO(m): 6:26pm On Jul 09, 2008
it would be too easy to defend engineering on all facets. too easy.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by DisGuy: 11:48am On Jul 10, 2008
Wheelspin:

uh uh!!!! my peopul, choose sides oh, I was just reading through with ma kid sister and she's gotten kind of indecisive on what to go for when she opts for tertiary studies.

you are a very responsible fellow aint you? you mean you are helping your sister by discussing which is more challenging?
i never knew people choose career paths based on how tough the course is-oh i forgot you are a nigerian!!
whatever happen to her own individual objective or interest
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Esss(m): 12:17pm On Jul 10, 2008
Engineering all the way (Although I really do respect doctor alot. Seven years in the Uniersity is definetly no beans)

Medicine = Stress

Engineering = Now thats a mans course. Downright difficult.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Gamine(f): 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2008
Engineering is not a "mans" Course

Its more challenging though.
But Medicine is not for the faint-hearted
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Esss(m): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gamine:

Engineering is not a "mans" Course

Its more challenging though.
But Medicine is not for the faint-hearted

You this CU grad don come again. tongue (Was only joking bout the man thing though the ratio of women to men in engineering is quite low.)
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Gamine(f): 12:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
You this CU Basher.

i know what a ratio looks like.

atleast they taught us well

and it wasnt implied in your first post.

@TOPIC

Engineering is more challenging

Safety first abeg!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by forbidden5(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2008
Blingirl,

You are very streamlined and perochial in your reasoning. Please use good fact while making an argument like this.

Who told you that engineers do not also stand on their toes for a long time? Have you worked for SLB before? Who in the world told you that Medicine is the most paid profession?

Let me inform you a bit. In oil drilling, people face a greater challenge and stand longer than a surgery would. Do you know the technicalities in bringing oil to the surface of the earth?

Better still your earoplane. Do you know what it take to have a CPL? Engineering(ICT inclusive) has now become the front line salary earner in most societies.

It is only in traditional societies like in Europe where people are taken care of by the government that you flaunt yourself as the best paid.

If you have more point I will sort you out.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Blingirl(f): 9:28am On Jul 11, 2008
@ forbidden5

very streamlined and perochialParochial
. Would accept being narrow minded as i didnt quite realise what changellenges engineers face more than doctors until i read about your oil exploration punchline. Daaaaum i can imagine guyz covered in oil slicks and lookin durrty.

Awchee, that dealt a blow right there. So what are those other SLB and CPL things for?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Ivvie: 7:37am On Aug 22, 2008
`
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AmakaOne(f): 9:17am On Sep 17, 2008
Wheelspin:

uh uh!!!! my peopul, choose sides oh, I was just reading through with ma kid sister and she's gotten kind of indecisive on what to go for when she opts for tertiary studies.

@wheelspin

The two need not be mutually exclusive.
I am a Biomedical Engineer and I get to work in both fileds.

Biomedical engineering involves applying the concepts, knowledge and approaches of virtually all engineering disciplines to solve or improve healthcare related problems. Biomedical engineers use their expertise in biology, medicine, physics, mathematics, engineering science and communication to make the world a healthier place. The challenges created by the diversity and complexity of living systems require creative, knowledgeable, and imaginative people working in teams of physicians, scientists, engineers, and even business folk to monitor, restore and enhance normal body function. The biomedical engineer is ideally trained to work at the intersection of science, medicine and mathematics to solve biological and medical problems.

It combines the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of individuals.

I am currently doing grad studies in Tissue Engineering which basically strives to create artificial organs for patients that need organ transplants.

Biomedical engineers combine sound knowledge of engineering and biological (medical) science.
So your sister should not haveto choose, I know

I had the same predicament when I was going to college. My dad and three of my five brothers are enginers and the other two are MD's.

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by capsmo(m): 10:40am On Sep 17, 2008
Medicine is very challenging;
i think engineering is more challenging.
it broadens ur mind , stretches u beyond limits in terms of
reasoning, etc.
i do not mean reading engineering to pass and get ur degrees,
i mean engineering as a practice.
medicine allows some kinda room for trial and error.
for example, if a doc administers Fancidar (sulphadoxine & thia)
for malaria and it doesn't wrk he can adminster Artesunate cum Camoquine
and withdraw the former. Well,in engineering (design for instance) such trials could be
disastrous.
more examples abound.
i respect both professions greatly.
my views are based on the keyword CHALLENGING.
that's all folks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List of Companies That Promote Staff Welfare And Treat Them Well / Inner Galaxy Steel Company, Abia: Modern Day Slavery In The Hands Of The Chinese / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.