Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? (9184 Views)

Does It Mean No Internet Service Provision For Those With 2/3g Phones On Ntel? / The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria / Mtn Bis (blackberry Internet Service) Freeeee! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by browze: 6:07pm On Oct 06, 2011
These ISP's are all the same. I've tried starcomms, swift. They're all d same. Swift could be done for almost week when there's no rain. Presently managing starcomms. The only area this ISP's can work is lagos island/ v.I . Forget abt coverage map. It doesn't exist. Twitter/facebook, it's deliberate blocking by mobitel. They all do it
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by blank(f): 6:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
So mobitel is still in the market? I thought they filed for bankruptcy some years back.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 06, 2011
They are Scam, i bought one for a friend in unilag back in 4 months, i paid for the package of 24hours about 30k for her, but when i got back, she told me they only gave her 2days internet access without any problem, but the rest one month was disaster, she did not use it because network is always low with 1 bar or no access, and she has decided never to use it again
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by mbulela: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2011
there is no protection for consumers in this country.
With the power of technology, consumers must learn to demand answers for poor services.
While awaiting answers vote with your wallet.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=742144.msg9189936#msg9189936
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by twinskenny(m): 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2011
Mr temi abi whats ur name, your company is a pure scam,

We deployed your services to some of our clients around lekki area, expecting that your internet speed and service is going to be relatively stable but Alas!!! reverse is the case, your CS is the worst i can ever imagine, within a week the client barely enjoy internet service for a day, sooooo horrible we have to switch to another provider within week.

please you can come and carry your modems in our office cause basically its useless,
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by goke234: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2011
Mobitel na BABA ooo dem tuu much , thier internet accesss is superb but what they need to work on is consistency so far , dev been fantastic for me ooooo in a far location like Igando an outskirt of Lagos , not too far from Ikotun
smiley
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 9:20pm On Oct 06, 2011
twinskenny:

Mr temi abi whats your name, your company is a pure scam,

We deployed your services to some of our clients around lekki area, expecting that your internet speed and service is going to be relatively stable but Alas!!! reverse is the case, your CS is the worst i can ever imagine, within a week the client barely enjoy internet service for a day, sooooo horrible we have to switch to another provider within week.

please you can come and carry your modems in our office cause basically its useless,

grin grin grin
[size=13pt]Seems mobitel has really spoiled their integrity, They must have lost so much customers already. Am just hanging in there with them for now, The painful thing is that it disconnects and then twitter does not work almost everyday. I don't bother sending them mails again or even call i just ignore them, [/size]
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by damola1: 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2011
Been using a universal modem for years now, and what I just do is switch between providers, MTN is good today, Glo is good tommorrow, Etisalat is Good the day after, It's worked for me so far.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by xandy84: 9:54pm On Oct 06, 2011
Mobitel is going to it earlier grave ooo, Really dont understand why sell modern to 100,000 when you have the traffic for 10,000, that where the problem begin,
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by resocorp: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2011
, yeah mobitel has some challenges n yeah it goes down occasionally, but then suddenly, BAM!!!! d internet is right in ur face!!!

Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by Decryptor(m): 3:48am On Oct 07, 2011
goke234:

Mobitel na BABA ooo dem tuu much , thier internet accesss is superb but what they need to work on is consistency so far , dev been fantastic for me ooooo in a far location like Igando an outskirt of Lagos , not too far from Ikotun
smiley
A mobitel agent or staff talking. Why should this be the very first post u are making here? Who do you want to fool
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by philip0906(m): 5:29am On Oct 07, 2011
^^
grin grin
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by naylove(m): 6:16am On Oct 07, 2011
Thank you sology and the ever consistent nairalanders for this. it couldnt have come at a better time. just when i was contemplating throwing my cobranet modem in the waste bin. i guess am stuck with this crap(cobranet ) till further notice. but what really annoys me is the foolish lies that these companies all come up with. wHAT THE HECK IS 4G if it does not translate to a speed of at least 10 mbps? its just plain dumb.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by naylove(m): 6:21am On Oct 07, 2011
@ decryptor, well there's got to be a first post before a second post. huh.
i thought so.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by knotty(m): 8:30am On Oct 07, 2011
I thought i was alone with this Mobitel crap.
I am back to my Starcomm full of regrets for ever buying Mobitel.
I should have used the money to upgrade to Starcomm 4G instead.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by ekwere75: 9:51am On Oct 07, 2011
Hello guys, I hv gone through the write-ups and the corresponding attacks on Mobitel and other ISPs on paying for 1mbps n not getting same, frequent downtime, slow browsing etc.

Let me make it clear to you, the 1mbps you paid for is a SHARED BANDWIDTH meaning you are not the only client browsing in the 1mbps invisible pipe, some ISP will go for 1:4 and some 1: 10 etc ratio, that is 4 in a very 1 pipe and the least you suppose to get is 150-200kbps and not the full 1mbps. 1mbps dedicated is very costly, like 350k monthly.

Concerning the frequent downtime and all, it is the infrastruture problem facing all of us, it is not easy to send messages to clients everytime a BTS goes down but the general downtime or maintenance issues are always sent to inform clients of the the issue at hand or the maintenance coming up.

Slow browsing sometimes might not necessarily from the ISP( do try and isolate issues one by one) before jumping at the ISP, most times, it is viruses on your PCs or lappies, loads of unwanted stuffs etc, these can contribute to the slowness of the browsing experience. However I am not exonerating any ISP that has refused to monitor the BTS and stop selling to clients around the coverage area.

I
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by ekwere75: 10:10am On Oct 07, 2011
I want tt take u guys through a little troubleshooting guide( d little I know)

1. First of all, delete the unwanted stuffs on ur systems
2. Update the anti-virus
3. if it is still slow, do ipconfig/release, go to start button on ur system, type in cmd(small letters) if u cant see ur command prompt, when the black box comes up, type in ipconfig/release press ENTER(this will disconnect you from the internet), type in ipconfig/renew and click ENTER, this process will flush the former ip and gives you a new one. by so doing if it is still slow, ping the general ip address 4.2.2.2 -t(continous pinging) and see the response, it is in 3 digits ms, it manageable but if in 4 digits ms, then you need to contact your service provider

e.g

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\TH>ping 4.2.2.2 -t

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=176ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=165ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=172ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=188ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=183ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=185ms TTL=241
Request timed out.
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=285ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=173ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=189ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=202ms TTL=241
Request timed out.
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=234ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=161ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=195ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=196ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=182ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=164ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=164ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=233ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=162ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=241
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by shockreaction(m): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2011
Personally, I've given up on finding "stable" Internet in this country. It's just not gonna happen in the near future.

I subscribed to Mobitel a couple of weeks ago and it's been a mixed bag. During the first weekend, I was largely unable to connect for the most part. It's been more stable now but there're still times when I can never actually connect at all. However, I do love the fact that I get the download speed as advertised (2Mbps), and it's been relatively very good. Pages load fast, I can download my Steam games quicker, and I can conveniently watch Youtube videos.

I'll just summarise my experience with Mobitel and then you can decide whether or not it's for you.

Pros
- You get the advertised speed (It goes up to 240KB/s with the 2Mbps plan which I'm on). This more than makes up for it.
- Low-latency, considering (~250 to 300ms to UK/US servers)
- You get your own IP address when you connect so you don't have to deal with all the NAT bullsh*t with providers like Starcomms and ZOOM (where the IP addres is probably banned/blacklisted on a number of sites)
- The unlimited service IS unlimited (for now). I don't know about later.

Cons
- Can be unstable on some days
- May not even connect at all on some days
- Sometimes slows down, but not a major show stopper
- Lack of online customer service? I sent an email to the customer service address and all I got was an acknowledgement of my mail. No reply for over a week now. I don't like to spend money calling the customer service of any ISP in Nigeria. It's a waste.
- Twitter still not working,

Speaking of not being able to connect at all, I guess this happens to all ISPs, but not as much, I suppose. I'm currently subscribed to DoPC, ZOOM and I've got a Glo and MTN line. There was a day I couldn't connect using all four of these providers, all at the same time. Guess it's just one of the annoyances we have to deal with.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by Gbenge77(m): 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2011
I wouldnt know.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by underscore: 2:58pm On Oct 08, 2011
I happen to have used virtually all the isps in Nigeria. ALL have issues!
While Mobitel is having some challenges, you can not rule out teething problems in technology especially when you are pioneering it - in this case Mobitel is the pioneer if 4 G wimax technology.
I almost burnt my swift modems both at home and at work. Glo wasn't any better. Airtek, Etisalat, Zoom, Starcomms, etc had their own head/heart aches too.
I am really impressed with the Mobitel service. Sometimes there are down times but never had downloads and youtube so good in Naija before.
While ALL operators have their issues (home and abroad), we should not rule economic and environmental factors playing a major role in affecting the quality of technology service in Nigeria. There was a time construction workers cut a main one fibre to Mobitel (got to know cos i kept calling them) so naturally they hax to move to their backup link till they fixed it.
Always check out COVERAGE before buying any internet modem. Make sure there's strong service around your area. In my case, Mobitel did a pre-test before I bought my device - they still do.
Let us pray that broadband services improve in Nigeria.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 1:16am On Oct 09, 2011
Prof JYK:

Stayed 6 days without browsing 2weeks ago. spent a fortune calling customer service and the lady was dribbling me telling me to turn my device upside down and read out all the numbers written underneath, making it seem like the problem was peculiar to my device only. paid them two hell raising visits at adeola odeku only to find out it was a general problem.

lol, thats what they do. They tell you to turn your modem this way and that way. Then ask you to squint and read out numbers instead of just telling you there is a problem.

Prof JYK:

funny thing is that these peeps know they have capacity for 1000 subcribers and will do agressive marketing for 10000 till they cant handle the traffic and there is a mass exodus then they go down like a long list of lag based ISP's.

And they keep advertising on radio and everywhere lieing like crazy.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 1:22am On Oct 09, 2011
ekwere75:

I want tt take u guys through a little troubleshooting guide( d little I know)

1. First of all, delete the unwanted stuffs on your systems
2. Update the anti-virus
3. if it is still slow, do ipconfig/release, go to start button on your system, type in cmd(small letters) if u cant see your command prompt, when the black box comes up, type in ipconfig/release press ENTER(this will disconnect you from the internet), type in ipconfig/renew and click ENTER, this process will flush the former ip and gives you a new one. by so doing if it is still slow, ping the general ip address 4.2.2.2 -t(continous pinging) and see the response, it is in 3 digits ms, it manageable but if in 4 digits ms, then you need to contact your service provider

e.g

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\TH>ping 4.2.2.2 -t

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=241
Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=172ms TTL=241
Request t

Oga, we know these things. We are talking about irresponsible service provision and we can tell when an issue is from our system and when its simply not working from the ISP's end.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by larrymasco: 11:36am On Mar 05, 2012
Please Guy, Is Mobitel network now okay? I really need an ISP as urgent as possible.

Please Advice
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by mavinc4u(f): 11:51pm On Mar 05, 2012
larrymasco:

Please Guy, Is Mobitel network now okay? I really need an ISP as urgent as possible.

Please Advice

carry go.you are on the right track.there is down time in all networks.don't mind those guys,they are some how confused.one man's meat is another man's poison.that is the gist.that it didn't work for Mr A doesn't mean it won't work for Mr B
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by Abeylet02(m): 10:26am On Apr 06, 2012
I use mobitel up to 6month, I even brought people from starcomm to buy their modem It only work perfectly for two from the day i bought it becux when i first got the device and they gave me the test speed i saw that it was ok i but it feb 2010 i tell you from April it was like i was in hell fire the whole world was on me the people xi but the device for and people i convince to buy it in a month it will only for perfectly for two week am working and living at Maryland everyday i call c-care even go to their office at Adeola Odeku like am going to ikeja i lost alot of money i wrote them letter wish they neglect even treating to sue them nothing is done about it i only got advise from a friend if not for the country we are in how can ISP be doing this kind of open scam and the govt is not doing anything about it they turn themselve to FiFa/UEFA....I have all evidence if they want me to provide and the mails and receipt follow people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Figure Out What's Happening In This Photo? See Pic / Settings On How To Download And Use 2go On Your Bb / Tecno W5 Vs Camon C7 Vs Infinix Hot 4 Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.