Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? (9178 Views)

Does It Mean No Internet Service Provision For Those With 2/3g Phones On Ntel? / The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria / Mtn Bis (blackberry Internet Service) Freeeee! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
In this country, the consumer has no protection. Companies and businesses are allowed to come in, hoodwink unsuspecting and helpless consumers , then refuse to deliver the services promised/claimed (after raking in the money).

For so many of us these days, the Internet is an integral part of our work and we cant achieve anything with an unreliable Internet service. So its understandable that we jump to any *new* company or ISP that comes in promising speed and efficiency. Thats my story with Mobitel. Mobitel , just a couple of months back, came in promising speeds of up to 1Mbps to 3Mbps depending on the subscription package but right now, you cant even clock up to 7kbps on downloads. That aside, the service interruptions and down time are so frequent that one just cant get things done. I gambled with this in thinking that as a new service/ISP, I woule be able to get to use this service for at least a year before they oversell and go down in service like the rest but am shocked that it I have only been using it for two months and its already bad. Call customer care and you will hear the same thing all over: "We are aware of it and it will be ok soon". But it never gets ok. Whenever it rains, I just forget about browsing as it somehow affects it. I never had issues with rain with Starcomms or Visafone.

I wont be subscribing again and I will be going back to my old Starcomms(Yes,what more can I do. Its better than this to be honest as there isnt this much service down time).

I am doing this as a major complaint after all else has been done(Calling customer care severally) so that maybe, it will get to the top management and they see that they are losing it and maybe sit up. Its also to warn potential customers to hold on till they sort themselves out.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by TomiDee(m): 9:18pm On Aug 06, 2011
solq
thanks for this complaint if albeit on a very public forum when you could have sent an email to ceo@mobitel.com.ng but then I guess you were not told that. At Mobitel, complaints like yours are taken VERY seriously and we would like to investigate it. First and foremost we make a commitment here in the public forum to ensure you do not pay one kobo for any time you did not get what you paid for. I could go on and try to explain the different issues that may be responsible for your experience but would rather just apologise and appeal to you to give us a chance to make it right. I hope you will give us that chance and look forward to receiving your email so we make things right.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by dabraska: 12:01am On Aug 07, 2011
to b sincere, mobitel has ben relatively gud since i subscribed afta havn a crazy time at swift! i must say Mobitel knows hw to keep their customers. i keep getting txt msgs 4rm dem about updates nd tins i shud knw , lyk yesterday i got a txt msg 4rm den dat dey were experiencin a fibre cut nd d internet myt b slow, bt surprisingly it wasnt as bad as i expected, dey r okay and i'll recommend dem 2 anybody dat wants a reliable internet service.

d only problem wif dem is dier area coverage, dey shud wrk more on dat, i fink d person complainin is stayn in an area dats mobitel dosent cover dat well, sorry mate!
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by N101: 10:42am On Aug 08, 2011
dabraska:

d only problem wif dem is dier area coverage, dey shud wrk more on dat, i fink d person complainin is stayn in an area dats mobitel dosent cover dat well, sorry mate!

Then the company should be honest and tell people in advance the coverage in their area is poor, rather than getting people to buy a service and not give them proper coverage! Someone I know this same problem with Starcomms, and is now debating whether to take up their service again or not after a few years in the area.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by TomiDee(m): 10:49am On Aug 08, 2011
May I refer you to our website http://www.Mobitel.com.ng whee we have a coverage map that shows exactly where we have coverage!
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by gogetter09(m): 4:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
please may i know how the out=door modem goes for
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 11:44am On Aug 11, 2011
TomiDee:

May I refer you to our website http://www.Mobitel.com.ng whee we have a coverage map that shows exactly where we have coverage!

I thought you are the one who said I should write you a mail to ceo@mobitel.com.ng ? Five days down the line and no acknowledgement of my mail. No need for even trying to resolve again as my susbcription has expired and am using another ISP as I write. But one would have thought that after your post here suggesting that I have not exhausted all means of communication, and even suggesting your mail, that you would have been eager to reply or even acknowledge my mail. Cheers.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by gogetter09(m): 10:34am On Sep 17, 2011
MOBITEL IS A SCAM, I PAID FOR A 1MBPS (1024 KBPS) NITE PLAN, AND I WAS JUST RECIEVING A BANDWIDTH OF BETWEEN 100-150KBPS, WHICH IS VERY POOR AT MY LOCATION IN FESTAC TOWN. AND SECONDLY IT TAKES TIME TO CONNECT , ITS DISCONNECT AND CONNECT ANYHOW. I EVEN WENT TO THEIR OFFICE AND CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE SEVERAL TIMES ALL WENT TO NO AVAIL. EVEN I TRIED BROWSING THE INTERNET AT THEIR OFFICE AT TRADE FAIR, BALOGUN MARKET. WHERE I GUESS THE BASE STATION IS CLOSE. STILL RECIEVING THE SAME BANDWIDTH HAS 100KBPS - 150KBPS. EVEN HAS AT TODAY THAT RAIN IS FALLING THE NETWORK IS JUST CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING ANYHOW, AND I AM MAKING USE OF THEIR INDOOR HUAWEI MODEM,

NOW I PAID AGAIN FOR THEIR 2MBPS BANDWIDTH ( 2048KBPS) 24 HOURS PLAN, AND GUESS WHAT I AM JUST RECIEVING A BANDWIDTH OF JUST BETWEEN 120 - 250KPBS. IT REALLY SUCKS AND HORRIBLE , TOO POOR FOR FOR ONLINE DOWNLOAD STREAM, SO I WOULD ADVICE YOU REALLY THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY. COS AFTER THESE SUBSCRIPTION I WILL RUN FOR MY LIFE AND SELL MY MODEM AWAY COS IT REALL SUCKS BADLY.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 12:00pm On Sep 17, 2011
My brother welcome to the club but the thing is that i went to their office and they said they are undergoing an upgrade so am waiting and keeping my fingers crossed. As its more than 2 weeks now and the issue is annoying
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by malikalhaj: 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2011
Mobitel service is crap cos of thier coverage, their coverage map is so whacked, that bin said need to explain something here
gogetter09:

MOBITEL IS A SCAM, I PAID FOR A 1MBPS (1024 KBPS) NITE PLAN, AND I WAS JUST RECIEVING A BANDWIDTH OF BETWEEN 100-150KBPS, WHICH IS VERY POOR AT MY LOCATION IN FESTAC TOWN. AND SECONDLY IT TAKES TIME TO CONNECT , ITS DISCONNECT AND CONNECT ANYHOW. I EVEN WENT TO THEIR OFFICE AND CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE SEVERAL TIMES ALL WENT TO NO AVAIL. EVEN I TRIED BROWSING THE INTERNET AT THEIR OFFICE AT TRADE FAIR, BALOGUN MARKET. WHERE I GUESS THE BASE STATION IS CLOSE. STILL RECIEVING THE SAME BANDWIDTH HAS 100KBPS - 150KBPS. EVEN HAS AT TODAY THAT RAIN IS FALLING THE NETWORK IS JUST CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING ANYHOW, AND I AM MAKING USE OF THEIR INDOOR HUAWEI MODEM,

NOW I PAID AGAIN FOR THEIR 2MBPS BANDWIDTH ( 2048KBPS) 24 HOURS PLAN, AND GUESS WHAT I AM JUST RECIEVING A BANDWIDTH OF JUST BETWEEN 120 - 250KPBS. IT REALLY SUCKS AND HORRIBLE , TOO POOR FOR FOR ONLINE DOWNLOAD STREAM, SO I WOULD ADVICE YOU REALLY THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY. COS AFTER THESE SUBSCRIPTION I WILL RUN FOR MY LIFE AND SELL MY MODEM AWAY COS IT REALL SUCKS BADLY.
U paid for 1mbps meaning u should be getting exactly what u are getting, cos 1mbps maximum dload speed is 125 while 2mbps should be getting 250, since u are getting that i dont think u shld be complaining. Ur dload manager uses KB/s not kb/s.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2011
samyng:

My brother welcome to the club but the thing is that i went to their office and they said they are undergoing an upgrade so am waiting and keeping my fingers crossed. As its more than 2 weeks now and the issue is annoying

Its non existent whenever it rains. I just dont get it.

I have moved to yet another provider. They only allow positive reviews(I suspect sponsored or workers) on their facebook page. Once a negative review goes there, give it 24 hrs or less and it would be deleted. I suspect thats why 'fan likes' to that page has not grown as it should.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by gogetter09(m): 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2011
WELL, IF YOU RE SAYING YOU RE GIVING 1Mbps which is 1024kbps,, it should be at least 512kbps downstream and 512kbps upstream ,, so what you commented on my post is not right,, so do not decieve people with the MEGA BIT PER SECOND, MbPS.

its better mobitel come out clean and say what there have to offer than decieving their clients.

THEREFORE MOBITEL RUNS AT KILO BIT PER SECOND, which is kbps.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by malikalhaj: 9:36pm On Sep 17, 2011
Dude u are funny, just explaining the calculation to u, if u go and get a modem, they tell its 3.6 or 7.2mbps, that is how it is bin said but using IDM the maximum u can hope to attain is 450 or 900KB/s
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 10:40pm On Sep 17, 2011
malikalhaj:

Dude u are funny, just explaining the calculation to u, if u go and get a modem, they tell its 3.6 or 7.2mbps, that is how it is bin said but using IDM the maximum u can hope to attain is 450 or 900KB/s

Its hardly the reason I raised this issue. The issue is that their service was totally unreliable when I used it last two months. And by all indications(from the couple iof people who posted recently, its still bad. And they keep advertising on the Radio and everywhere without sorting out their network instability.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by malikalhaj: 8:59am On Sep 18, 2011
I am not arguing with u regarding their service bin shyte, all i wanted u to understand is if u pay for 2mbps u will get maximum of 250KB/s wen using IDM
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by gogetter09(m): 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2011
BUT WHAT I AM INSINUATING IS THAT AT LEAST IF AN ISP IS OFFERING 2 MbPS , U SHOULD SHOULD GET AT LEAST 1MbPS using IDM.

COS WHEN I USE TO USE ZOOM OF 1X SPEED WHICH 10KbPS, WHEN DOWNLOADING WITH IDM I USE TO RECIEVE AROUND 8 Kbps using IDM. SO PLEASE TRY AND UNDERSTAND ME BETTER, COS WE ARE PAYING FOR THE BANDWIDTH OF A HIGH SPEED , THATS Y ITS BROADBAND,, WHICH THERE ARE SAYING ITS 4G,, 4G MY FOOT
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 6:50pm On Sep 18, 2011
[i]The things is that there is difference between Kbps and KB/s i.e where 1024kbps = 1MBPS and 120KB/s = 1mbs so please note @malikalhaj you are deviating from the topic, Mobitel is very annoying i cant even use Facebook some times to chat as my friends complain i sign and out of the chat and some times my messages are not delivered on chat and the newest one now is that twitter does not work until you call customer care and they fix it before it works. some times you can't even open twitter for a whole day. I wonder what the next thing would be. Also it disconnects more than 7 times a day and refuses to connect your for a while some times up to 20min,

They delete peoples complain on their facebook page but they can't delete complains on their twitter page your can lookup for numerous complains,

@ soloqy i think this thread needs to make front page so that the public would be aware and save people of falling into the same trap until they fix their sever i have been using mobitel for over 5 weeks now and the issue gets worse
[/i]

malikalhaj:

Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by malikalhaj: 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2011
U all seem not 2 understand what i have bin trying 2 say. Mobitel is very crappy, but if he gets a dload speed of 250kB/s on a 2mbps then his connection is very good (might even come and get a place close to his house). Thats all but generally mobitel is shyte in Mende Maryland
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by soloqy: 7:21pm On Sep 18, 2011
samyng:

[i]The things is that there is difference between Kbps and KB/s i.e where 1024kbps = 1MBPS and 120KB/s = 1mbs so please note @malikalhaj you are deviating from the topic, Mobitel is very annoying i cant even use Facebook some times to chat as my friends complain i sign and out of the chat and some times my messages are not delivered on chat and the newest one now is that twitter does not work until you call customer care and they fix it before it works. some times you can't even open twitter for a whole day. I wonder what the next thing would be. Also it disconnects more than 7 times a day and refuses to connect your for a while some times up to 20min,
Thats why I started this thread so that hopefully, they will get embarrased at management level and fix thier network but hey, what do they care? They are still 'catching people' with their adverts on radio and everywhere of 4G broadband,

samyng:

They delete peoples complain on their facebook page but they can't delete complains on their twitter page your can lookup for numerous complains,

Exactly! Thats because they know they are doing something wrong. I heard of the twitter thing and someone claimed the twitter problem started when people started using twitter to expose thier bad network. So, in essense, they are probably enbling twitter for customers based on personal recognition in order to control the damage twitter is having on their network. They have full control of facebook so any uncomplimentary comment, doesnt last up to 24hrs before it gets deleted.

samyng:

@ soloqy i think this thread needs to make front page so that the public would be aware and save people of falling into the same trap until they fix their sever i have been using mobitel for over 5 weeks now and the issue gets worse
[/i]

Unfortunately, thats up to the mods in here to do.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by gogetter09(m): 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2011
@ SOLOGY,, I DEY FEEL YOU DEM THINK SAY NA HOLY THEM BE EXPERT FOR CALCULATIONS,, EVEN DEY DO DEY TURN MY HEAD FOR CALCULATION OF BITS, BYTES, KILOBITS, KILOBYTES , MEGA BIT AND MEGABYTES, I TOLD THEM THAT THE NETWORK IS CHEAP, BUT ITS NOT WHAT DECIEVING PEOPLE AND CUSTOMER ABOUT IT. IF YOU ARE GIVEN PEOPLE 128KBPS, OR 256KBPS,, JUST STATE IT THERE, SO THAT PEOPLE WILL NOT BE DECIEVED.

ANOTHER THING THAT IS SO ANNOYING IS THAT IT DISCONNECT ANYHOW, MOST TIME IF IT DISCONNECT YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON FOR ABOUT MINUTES SOME TIMES HOURS. MOST TIME YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE POWER FROM IT. AND LEAVE IT FOR SOME TIME BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT BACK. ITS HORRIBLE.

MOBITEL STEP UP!!! AND I WILL BE AMONG THE PEOPLE THAT WILL MAKE ADVERT FOR YOU.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 9:30am On Sep 24, 2011
[size=13pt]Am surprised mobitel is faster today seems they have finished the long awaited upgrade they been doing on their network,  Make i no keep my hopes high anyway make i use am for 1 week and see the results,  I pray it stays like this

I posted previous speed test before now and new one taken today.
note: My subscription plan is 1mbs
This time they changed their server location to Victoria Island dont know if its the reason for the speed
[/size]

Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 9:41am On Sep 24, 2011
[size=13pt]Am having a steady 1mbps download here don't know about other mobitel subscribers please confirm, I pray they dont change this oooo abeg i need this kind of quality for my money[/size]

Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by weaponx57: 12:04pm On Oct 04, 2011
Seems I am getting a lot of mixed responses here cause right now i'm trying to get off Ugo, slow ass shit, and move to another company which actually promises fast broadband and i will get a 2mbps plan. Now then Is mobitel any good in the Victoria Island area? I mean i met a rep and am not fully convinced as of yet.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2011
[size=13pt]Well lately service has been Okay here i don't know about other subscribers, am now actually getting up to 1Mbps per sec. The only thing is that i have no idea why twitter refuses to open some times on Mobitel network as typing this, twitter has not been working for close to 5 hours now [/size]
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by weaponx57: 2:33pm On Oct 04, 2011
Well twitter is one thing, I just wanna be able to play starcraft 2 online lag free
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by N101: 11:25am On Oct 05, 2011
You guys should direct them to complain to the email address TomiDee supplied earlier. I'm sure once bombarded they either get their act together or take your custom elsewhere.
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by Nedu777: 11:33am On Oct 05, 2011
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by ehie007(m): 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2011
Swift network is still the best of them all, they are all the same though, the come out smoking, and then later, their internet becomes slower, 1 good thing about Swift networks is that they have very good customer service agents.

so far , they are the best, Mobitel is scam and unnecessarily expensive
Re: Mobitel , Another Internet Service Scam In Nigeria? by ProfJYK(m): 5:47pm On Oct 06, 2011
Stayed 6 days without browsing 2weeks ago. spent a fortune calling customer service and the lady was dribbling me telling me to turn my device upside down and read out all the numbers written underneath, making it seem like the problem was peculiar to my device only. paid them two hell raising visits at adeola odeku only to find out it was a general problem.

funny thing is that these peeps know they have capacity for 1000 subcribers and will do agressive marketing for 10000 till they cant handle the traffic and there is a mass exodus then they go down like a long list of lag based ISP's.

if them don tire make them tell us. we now nake provisions for mew modems and new ISP's annually

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno W5 Vs Camon C7 Vs Infinix Hot 4 Camera / Tecno Spark K7 O.T.A Update.. / Tecno W3 - Tecno’s Second Marshmallow Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.