Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? (13199 Views)

Onovo Describes Buhari’s Government As Nigeria’s Greatest Danger Since 1960 / 5 Most Handsome Nigerian Presidents Since 1960(photos) / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ektbear: 12:25am On Aug 04, 2011
I've been reading the book From Third World to First : The Singapore Story: 1965-2000 by Lee Kuan Yew over the past few days.

Just as a bit of background, Singapore is a tiny island nation in Southeast Asia that was formerly a British colony. It gained independence in 1963, joined a federation with Malaysia, and was kicked out of it by Malaysia (in part due to ethnic/political differences.)

So you have this very poor island nation with no natural resources whatsoever. Not even enough drinking water; they sourced their water from Malaysia. Surrounded by hostile countries like Malaysia and Indonesia who tried hard to enslave it through military and economic means. Yet despite this adversity, through excellent leadership Singapore is today one of the richest countries on earth.

Reading through his book, I got a very bad impression of Malaysia. Basically they come across as bigoted, backwards xenophobes. Yet despite all of this, even Malaysia has done a lot better than Nigeria: http://i55.tinypic.com/2iuqki1.png
(from the World Bank)

So where exactly did we go wrong as a country and continent? What excuse do we have for failure over the past 40 years? Singapore did it, and is not blessed with the natural resources that Nigeria is. People expected Singapore to fail, yet it succeeded.

This book has given me a lot of hope about how good leadership can set a country on the right path, but also made me a bit sad about how bad Africa has been run.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by okadaman2: 12:57am On Aug 04, 2011
It seems this Ekt_bear character is always seeking for knowledge, trying to understand and fix things, it's sad your leaders are not nearly as deep as some of you guys on here are.

My take: We lacked philosopher leaders, now, that can't explain everything, but the fact remains that we'd been unfortunate enough to be blessed/cursed with minions and shallow leaders since 1960 at least.

A lot has been said about the engineers and techicians that built China and some SEA countries as opposed to the Lawyers and philosophers that founded America. but if we look closely enough we will find that the philosophical ideologies of those Asian leaders were sound, from the visionary but Brutal Mao to the smart  and milder Deng Xiaoping. Even Lee Kuan, a lawyer , obviously had a deep grasp of history and the keen eyes of a visionary philosopher-leader.

If Lee Kuan was a Nigerian leader he probably wld've been too shallow think of ways to tear down an unworkable union, but he was visionary enough to work for the dismantling and a subsequent re-arrangement of his country. South East Asia is where it is today because leaders were willing to confront the hard questions and radically tackle them.

Nigeria is probably lagging behind because our leaders are scared of confronting the radical, hard questions. I may be wrong, but I'm always right.

Okada_man don tock hin own. Good thread.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by alex14(m): 1:03am On Aug 04, 2011
@ OP, This thread will be a[b] GREAT[/b] thread of intellectual debate if ONLY those that will post on it will do so with sincerity and open-mindedness devoid of any kind of sentiment. For me, when I debate this kind of issues, I like to restrict the discussion to the nigerian dungeon because most nigerian apologists will always try to compare nigeria with other failed african countries rather than Singapore, Malaysia,,et.al like you just did.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ektbear: 1:07am On Aug 04, 2011
Mao imo sucked @ss. All that Cultural Revolution stuff helped to destroy the country.

Deng Xiaoping on the other hand, I think he was amazing. Will probably next on my reading list (after I finish with Lee Kuan Yew).

Btw, another thing that struck me when reading this book. I guess in 1971 or so, Britain shut down its base in Singapore. This base and the secondary effects represented 20% of Singapore's economy, and most of its security net against Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries in that area.

Yet Singapore took this hit and bounced back.

Oil today is what, 30% of Nigeria's GDP. If oil stopped today, would Nigeria bounce back and continue growing strongly like Singapore did after losing its safety net?

Part of the reason why Nigeria is the way it is because many of us are afraid of losing oil (me included in this "many of us", btw!)

Yet if we restructured the country, who is to see that the non-oil producing parts of the country wouldn't then find their own Lee Kuan Yews? Good leadership and good people seems to be the most valuable on earth, if Singapore is any indication.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 1:10am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

was kicked out of it by Malaysia (in part due to ethnic/political differences.)
Why would you not know how they were able to develop when it's already in your post? You need a light-bulb? They were formed on ethnic and political synergy (opposite of differences). A machine cannot work when all the cog-wheels are spinning in different and uncomplimentary directions.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by kckpodo(m): 1:18am On Aug 04, 2011
we simple did not go run in any way but our sin was that we got while we where still not matured enof! most african countries got their independence at a stage of political immaturity.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nija4Life(m): 1:21am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

Oil today is what, 30% of Nigeria's GDP. If oil stopped today, would Nigeria bounce back and continue growing strongly like Singapore did after losing its safety net?

Part of the reason why Nigeria is the way it is because many of us are afraid of losing oil (me included in this "many of us", btw!)

Yet if we restructured the country, who is to see that the non-oil producing parts of the country wouldn't then find their own Lee Kuan Yews? Good leadership and good people seems to be the most valuable on earth, if Singapore is any indication.

That is were we miss the point. The future of our country does not depend on oil. The future of our country largely depends on the ability of our children to develop the dynamism and ideas for new businesses, enterpreneurial skills and new technology that will create wealth in an ever changing world. This will only happen with an educational system that is modern, well resourced and with a highly trained manpower to educate our children. In simple terms what develops nations is a rich human resource not necessarily the size of your oil wells or any other natural resources for that matter.

http://apenandaheart..com/

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ektbear: 1:23am On Aug 04, 2011
logica:

Why would you not know how they were able to develop when it's already in your post? You need a light-bulb? They were formed on ethnic and political synergy (opposite of differences). A machine cannot work when all the cog-wheels are spinning in different and uncomplimentary directions.

So ethnic differences would have caused it to grow more slowly if they'd stayed with Malaysia? And your latter sentence, I take it to mean that Nigeria is also slowed down by having too many different "directions?"

You might be right. I'm not sure, maybe we'd be better off separately than together. But with the two countries mentioned earlier, Singapore thought it'd be better off economically with Malaysia than apart. Singapore actually gained independence as its own nation, then chose to enter a federation with Malaysia. I guess their rationale was that it is better to be the major port city of a large nation than on your own.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by alex14(m): 1:25am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

I've been reading the book From Third World to First : The Singapore Story: 1965-2000 by Lee Kuan Yew over the past few days.

Just as a bit of background, Singapore is a tiny island nation in Southeast Asia that was formerly a British colony. It gained independence in 1963, joined a federation with Malaysia, and was kicked out of it by Malaysia (in part due to ethnic/political differences.)

So you have this very poor island nation with no natural resources whatsoever. Not even enough drinking water; they sourced their water from Malaysia. Surrounded by hostile countries like Malaysia and Indonesia who tried hard to enslave it through military and economic means. Yet despite this adversity, through excellent leadership Singapore is today one of the richest countries on earth.

Reading through his book, I got a very bad impression of Malaysia. Basically they come across as bigoted, backwards xenophobes. Yet despite all of this, even Malaysia has done a lot better than Nigeria: http://i55.tinypic.com/2iuqki1.png
(from the World Bank)

So where exactly did we go wrong as a country and continent? What excuse do we have for failure over the past 40 years? Singapore did it, and is not blessed with the natural resources that Nigeria is. People expected Singapore to fail, yet it succeeded.

This book has given me a lot of hope about how[b] good leadership can set a country on the right path[/b], but also made me a bit sad about how bad Africa has been run.
I will make my sincere arguement as regards nigeria based on the above bolded as follows:

@ 1st bolded, If biafra had been kicked out of nigeria (disintegration of nigeria), the component units that might had risen will definitely be better of today,,, i.e. Odua republic, Arewa and others will be much easier to manage as their won't be much ethnic tension like we've been having since the 1960s.

@ 2nd bolded, you're right that good leadership can set a country on the right footing, but you know nigeria as we know it today can never have a good leader. I say this because most nigerians (leaders included) don't believe in "one-nigeria". The leaders of nigeria are in it for what they can get.

In summary, one need not be a rocket scientist to realize where nigeria went and[b] is still [/b] going wrong TRIBALISM obfuscate everything else in the dungeon called nigeria. This is the gospel truth why we are still on a slippery slope downward as a people. We can pretend all we want and I guarantee you that in a million years time, we will still be having thesame conversation.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 1:34am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

I guess their rationale was that it is better to be the major port city of a large nation than on your own.
See, even Lagos is better off on it's own and will do better than as part of Nigeria. That's how bad it is. It is better for a machine to be small and manageable with working parts that a humongous white elephant with cog-wheels spinning wildly in different directions, and falling off. The other key is our middle class need to stop turning their noses up towards politics, leaving the lower class and unscrupulous nit-wits to run affairs. It will be a sad day for me for instance as an old man to see veritable dummies in my class (from say primary or secondary school) running the affairs of the country and controlling the destiny of my offspring. Then I will be the fool, not them.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ektbear: 1:51am On Aug 04, 2011
@alex101 and @logica: I understand your point. But if you want to use this tribalism/"too big" argument, then why are all these other countries in West Africa and most of Africa failures? Tribalism is mostly a Nigerian phenomenon as far as Africa goes. I don't really see it amongst most other Africans that I've met (just my general impression, not a fact by any means)

Would federalism or outright partitioning be enough to solve most of the problems? Benin Republic to the West isn't a great country, Niger Republic sucks, Chad Republic sucks, Cameroon isn't doing very well. And all these countries either have a dominant ethnic group or relatively little tribalism (at least to my knowledge).

Can we blame everything on tribalism? Seems a bit too simplistic, no?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by mithel(m): 1:55am On Aug 04, 2011
Very simple question,the problem with nigeria is that there are too many hausas,igbos,yorubas,nigerdelta,christains and muslims,and too few NIGERIANS!!!
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 2:06am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

Tribalism is mostly a Nigerian phenomenon as far as Africa goes. I don't really see it amongst most other Africans that I've met (just my general impression, not a fact by any means)
You are kidding right? Are those African countries by any chance North African? Those are probably the countries with near homogeneous populations. "Tribalism" is a human trait, and not African. Even European countries have separated in the 90s talk less of African countries. And believe you me, if you by any chance had a country formed by France and Italy, they will very quickly grind to a halt. This is why Awolowo said "Nigeria is nothing but a geographical expression, and is not a nation like France, et cetera".

The other factor of course is interference by the so called "Western Powers". I have already mentioned the case of Patrice Lumumba and Congo several times today. Patrice Lumumba - progressive, intelligent, every bit the African the West cannot work with. But guess what, when the "Axis of Evil" aka Belgium and the US struck, they used the standard divide and conquer as there were tribal clashes. So again we go back to tribal differences. A house already divided has already fallen. Interference is more difficult when the house is tightly bound.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 2:24am On Aug 04, 2011
SPLIT THE COUNTRY INTO 4 UNITS (THOUGH STILL THE SAME COUNTRY) 5 LET EACH UNIT CHART ITS OWN COURSE, [b]WHAT YOU HAVE YOU KEEP [/b]BUT WITH TRADE AGREEMENTS AND AN EXPORT BASED ECONOMY, YOU WILL SEE HOW THE SO CALLED POOR AND NON OIL PRODUCING REGIONS WILL WORK HARD TO BECOME EVEN BETTER THAN THE OIL PRODUCING REGIONS , eg the north can  borrow money from the central govt or the rich oil regions to boost cattle farming, groundnut,sugar cane ,tourism,etc, the west can can return to mass production of cocoa to power their economy (we underestimate the value of cocoa), the middle belt is already feeding the country while the oil rich east can diversify their oil economy to provide other needed facilities to for the whole region like transport ,new cities ,technology etc.
start a new police force what we have now is a big joke.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 3:11am On Aug 04, 2011
Political manipulation is a very dangerous form of power!!!

We have a nation where propaganda is used for strictly negative and backward reasons,  I know the media is suppose to brain wash but you can not brain wash anyone out of an ideology in a society where such ideologies are abundantly put into practice,

Numerous African nations done do bad deeds through political manipulation of the masses,  I sometime wonder how hard it is for a nation to progress and I figured it is not progressing that is hard, it making the nation a progressive one that is the real hard thing to do,  Nigeria is not lacking in Philosophical intellects at all,  Just that those intellectuals are often put down,

How many Nigerians are looking to go in to politics for the wrong reasons? I bet you can guess and your is as good as mine. When some said Power is not for man, I though they were just being too religious but I figured a power hungry man will get power drunk. We have a nation that risks losing the progressive minded folks to insanity, death, corruption or emigration

Nigeria can have a good leader now but without the nation being progressive, the good leadership is bad,  That is why I said Nigeria risk losing the progressive minded to the above but if we have progressive minds/intellectuals being the fore runners of our systems instead of them having a sir, many people will not only be touched, they will also be pushed to be like them.

If you see politics as the game of politicians, then politicians are not progressive minded,  Saying progressive politican is like saying "black white" how is that possible? We need a progressive intellectual to be the leader, not a politician.  But to attain such in Nigeria's democracy is a very very hard thing to do; it can only be done by selection. Even Ron Paul lost in the US that's to show you progressive intellectuals don't mess with politics which is a requirement to be elected. You must be a politician,

I was reading a thread where olumide was talking about freedom without democracy with Koruji,  Our democracy and level of literacy is too low to have a good democracy what we need is progressive intellectuals as leaders which will make illiteracy a thing of the past, promote high level of sophistication needed to create NIGERIAN in the citizen's heads instead of Yoruba, Tiv etc,  Now if we keep going from progressive to progressive, the nation's democracy will be getting stronger until people themselves are progressive enough to eradicate biases and vote progressively! No nation on earth has attained this level of national sophistication,  You can not have a progressive voted for right now unless all the other options are progressives not politician and that kind of situation requires selection which is undemocratic,

To get true democracy, you need to be undemocratic first! Not because democracy is bad but because human nature stil requires more sophistication before democracy can truly be attained!!

No nation, I repeat no nation on earth is free of bias citizens which and that kills democracy slowly because the person I'm voting for out of bias may not be a good leader!!!

First of all, let us gather all our philosophers, scientists, etc,  then we will go from there!!!
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by havoc37(m): 3:20am On Aug 04, 2011
Great thread OP. I imagine it has a lot to do with tribalism and ethnic fighting in Nigeria, that Singapore didn't have.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by alex14(m): 3:27am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

@alex101 and @logica: I understand your point. But if you want to use this tribalism/"too big" argument, then why are all these other countries in West Africa and most of Africa failures? Tribalism is mostly a Nigerian phenomenon as far as Africa goes. I don't really see it amongst most other Africans that I've met (just my general impression, not a fact by any means)

Would federalism or outright partitioning be enough to solve most of the problems? Benin Republic to the West isn't a great country, Niger Republic sucks, Chad Republic sucks, Cameroon isn't doing very well. And all these countries either have a dominant ethnic group or relatively little tribalism (at least to my knowledge).

Can we blame everything on tribalism? Seems a bit too simplistic, no?

@ the bolded question above, I will say emphatically YES! In my first post on this thread, I stated that any would be poster(s) should be sincere and open minded as possible, the answer is not far fetched. Tribalism is the main evil why nigeria hasn't and is still not moving forward,,,it's like all man to/for himself (though understandable). For nigeria to move forward, we need to tell ourselves the truth and the leaders have not been doing this because they benefit from the status quo.

A perfect example why tribalism should be blamed for everything is having the most backward group rule the more enlightened groups, simply because the former believes it's entitled to rule over the latter,,,I can go on and on. For me, the greatest mistake was dismantling the regions we had in the 60s and replacing them with these states that breed nothimg but corruption. Nigeria could only start getting it right if the spirit is one,,,which in turn leads to determination to get things done (even stuff that seem impossible). I blame tribalism for everything as I too is sometimes carried away by this crap.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ektbear: 3:42am On Aug 04, 2011
logica:

You are kidding right? Are those African countries by any chance North African? Those are probably the countries with near homogeneous populations. "Tribalism" is a human trait, and not African. Even European countries have separated in the 90s talk less of African countries. And believe you me, if you by any chance had a country formed by France and Italy, they will very quickly grind to a halt. This is why Awolowo said "Nigeria is nothing but a geographical expression, and is not a nation like France, et cetera".

Most of the Africans I know and hang out with are Ghanaian (plurality Akan), Ethiopian (several different ethnic groups, but at least united by a common tongue), or Kenyan which from what I know is fairly diverse ethnically, but ethnicity isn't really a big issue there.

I don't think tribalism is a big deal outside of Nigeria. At least this is the impression I have.

BTW, what is your threshold for homogeneity required for success? 50%? 80%? Keep in mind that Singapore is only about 75% Chinese or so. . . many of them from different subgroups/regions.

The other factor of course is interference by the so called "Western Powers". I have already mentioned the case of Patrice Lumumba and Congo several times today. Patrice Lumumba - progressive, intelligent, every bit the African the West cannot work with. But guess what, when the "Axis of Evil" aka Belgium and the US struck, they used the standard divide and conquer as there were tribal clashes. So again we go back to tribal differences.  A house already divided has already fallen. Interference is more difficult when the house is tightly bound.

The western powers interfere everywhere, not just in Nigeria/Africa. We cannot use that as an excuse, imo.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 4:15am On Aug 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

The western powers interfere everywhere, not just in Nigeria/Africa. We cannot use that as an excuse, imo.
And I said, "a house divided has already fallen".

And who says ethnicity is not a big deal in Kenya? My Kenyan girlfriend was Kisi, and she used to bad-mouth Kikuyu women much like I have heard Igbo women bad-mouthing Yoruba women as being very promiscuous (quite laughable really since I know enough promiscuous Igbo women). So I expect they are not much different from Nigerians.

And really, considering that you most likely live abroad, I don't think you'll meet the average citizens of those countries you mentioned; you are more than likely dealing with enlightened citizens, and the farther we are from the father-land, the more patriotic we get. It's a matter of "half-bread is better than none".

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by sam79(m): 4:25am On Aug 04, 2011
Singapore, China etc development started with proper legislation to curb their most endemic Problem ---CORRUPTION.

What will need in Nigeria is tougher legislation on economic crime and abuse of public office.
I will advocate for death penalty or live imprisonment every other things will fall in place.

As longer this is not done Nigeria might not see any progress.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by okadaman2: 5:02am On Aug 04, 2011
Ask an American what it means to be American and you will hear words like: freedom, liberty, equality, manifest destiny, justice, individualism, fairness, God and country, patriotism, bravery and free market capitalism.

If you ask western Europeans you will probably get the same words, maybe minus God or bravery and manifest destiny, but much the same. Ask Chinese and you will hear stuffs about their communal ideology, honor, humility and other stuff, Ask Japanese and you'll hear honor, perseverance, bravery, communality, shintoism and other stuffs that are unique to their national ideology, identity, history and philosophy.

Ask Nigerians or Nigerian leaders and you will be shocked at the shallowness, and confusion in their responses, apart from a weak, tacit reference to culture -which they hate to follow, and their religion -which they hate to embrace, there is nothing their in form of a coherent National or even continent wide ideological and philosophical belief.

But you will hear tribal ones:

People are Passionate about tribal and sub-group identity in Nigeria/Africa because in the absence of a coherent and binding national ideology, that is the only thing that they can truly identify with. They easily teach it to their kids, even the ones born outside the shores of the motherland.

They share the principles of  'Igbo enwe eze' with their kids and The Yorubas extol the ideological virtues of "Omoluabi"

These things wether they are True, factual, or just "feel good" ideas is irrelevant, they work and bind people together because they are commonly shared, homegrown and rooted in a deep sense of community and history.

I don't know what it means to be a Nigerian, I don't know how to process it beyond ephemeral Lagos street soundbites, a people can not build a nation on shallow ideas and borrowed soundbites.

What is the Nigerian ideology? Tell me I want to know, I want to teach my kids.

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by okadaman2: 5:05am On Aug 04, 2011
BTW, If you say Congolese, Kenyans and Ghanaians don't do tribe, then you know very little about those countries
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by mail4gift2(m): 5:19am On Aug 04, 2011
DRlulu:

SPLIT THE COUNTRY INTO 4 UNITS (THOUGH STILL THE SAME COUNTRY) 5 LET EACH UNIT CHART ITS OWN COURSE, WHAT YOU HAVE YOU KEEP [/b]BUT WITH TRADE AGREEMENTS AND AN EXPORT BASED ECONOMY, YOU WILL SEE HOW THE SO CALLED POOR AND NON OIL PRODUCING REGIONS WILL WORK HARD TO BECOME EVEN BETTER THAN THE OIL PRODUCING REGIONS , eg the north can  borrow money from the central govt or the rich oil regions to boost cattle farming, groundnut,sugar cane ,tourism,etc, the west can can return to mass production of cocoa to power their economy (we underestimate the value of cocoa), the middle belt is already feeding the country while the oil rich east can diversify their oil economy to provide other needed facilities to for the whole region like transport ,new cities ,technology etc.

My Brother you have said it all,nafin is left out and if they think they can not split it, then they should [b]DIVIDE IT.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 04, 2011
How can poster compare singapore with Nigeria ? Nigeria was never meant to exist but the greed of the british colonialists should be blamed for all the present day problems since they lumped two  different set of people together to exist as one.Even after the so called amalgamation,their policy was never to bring these people together,southerners were clearly distinct and not to relate with the northerners. . . . How can you have development when there is no unity ? All in all,the foundation lies in pre-colonial nigeria and until we solve the problem from that level,Nigeria wil  continue to be a status quo !e the problem from that level,Nigeria wil  continue to be a status quo !
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 04, 2011
All lazy arguments.

Tribalism has no place in this. Otherwise, Somalia, with her one tribe, one culture and one religion would be the epitome of prosperity.

You also cannot use racism and Imperialism to justify this sad state of affairs since Africa is materially more decrepit than it was before Independence — hungrier, poorer, less educated, more pessimistic, more corrupt, and you can’t tell the politicians from the witch doctors. Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Ireland, Finland, the Netherlands, etc. were all former colonies of various Imperial Powers. Finland was colonized for 700 brutal years by the Russians. In the 18th and 19th Centuries many Finns escaped to the United States and Canada to escape famine and oppression. Ditto the Irish under British rule.

Often the only things that seem to work well in Africa were left over from European colonists. The ferry across Lake Victoria was built by the British in 1962; its original engines, boilers, and generators are still running.

Even once prosperous and orderly Johannesburg is crime-ridden and increasingly ringed with teeming and angry slums. That’s what happened in Africa: things fell apart.

The only Africans I singles out for blame are the corrupt and thieving leaders. I want to assert that their sloth, lack of planning, and envy are to blame for much of Africa’s plight.

I also condemn Western governments, international organizations, and private aid agencies for making the continent’s problems worse.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 10:50am On Aug 04, 2011
My-Key:

All lazy arguments.

Tribalism has no place in this. Otherwise, Somalia, with her one tribe, one culture and one religion would be the epitome of prosperity.

It seems you are lazy with digging up facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War

The Somali Civil War is an ongoing civil war taking place in Somalia. The conflict, which began in 1991, has caused destabilisation throughout the country, with the current phase of the conflict seeing the Somali government losing substantial control of the state to rebel forces. [size=24pt]The unrest initially consisted of a series of clashes between various tribalist factions[/size], but since the mid-2000s took a militant Islamist tone.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 04, 2011
And at some point we should ask ourselves, whether it is due to genetic or other factors,if our IQ lower than other races? I mean, are we living in an Idiocracy?

I say this, not because of the hardships most Africans face; as i have highlighted previously, other races have undergone worse problems.

It's just that, uniquely among other human beings, we utterly refuse to do anything about our predicament. We are unable or unwilling to do so. And come to think of it, most leaders in Africa are elected, its a poor reflection of the voters in general.

Why are there so few African Lee Kwan Yeuw, Artuturk, Deng Xiaoping, David Ben-Gurion, Vladimir Putin, Sir Seretse Khama, Fashola? Why are so few of them elected into office? The elite in Africa, even those with an Ivy League education are incredibly stupid.

Is the IQ of Africans  lower? (I am not supposing anything, it's a question that I am throwing out there),
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 04, 2011
logica:

It seems you are lazy with digging up facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War

Somalis are one tribe, my friend. The factional fighting is due to another unique contribution of Somalia to the world apart from Anarchy and Piracy; Clan-ism. There are now Militia factions there made up of Sub-Sub-Clans. Soon, even family militia will be at each other's throats. Read wider than Wikipedia, buddy,
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by logica(m): 11:16am On Aug 04, 2011
My-Key:

Somalis are one tribe, my friend. Clan-ism. Read wider than Wikipedia, buddy,
And what is the difference between tribes and clans? Maybe my actually reading widely more than you do made me know they are the same. Or maybe English is foreign to you? smiley

You can follow the links or grab a dictionary and stop acting so learned when you are not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/clan

a group of families or households, as among the Scottish Highlanders, the heads of which claim descent from a common ancestor: the Mackenzie clan.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tribe

any aggregate of people united by ties of descent from a common ancestor, community of customs and traditions, adherence to the same leaders, etc.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by okooyinbo(m): 11:57am On Aug 04, 2011
DRlulu:

SPLIT THE COUNTRY INTO 4 UNITS (THOUGH STILL THE SAME COUNTRY) 5 LET EACH UNIT CHART ITS OWN COURSE, [b]WHAT YOU HAVE YOU KEEP [/b]BUT WITH TRADE AGREEMENTS AND AN EXPORT BASED ECONOMY, YOU WILL SEE HOW THE SO CALLED POOR AND NON OIL PRODUCING REGIONS WILL WORK HARD TO BECOME EVEN BETTER THAN THE OIL PRODUCING REGIONS , eg the north can  borrow money from the central govt or the rich oil regions to boost cattle farming, groundnut,sugar cane ,tourism,etc, the west can can return to mass production of cocoa to power their economy (we underestimate the value of cocoa), the middle belt is already feeding the country while the oil rich east can diversify their oil economy to provide other needed facilities to for the whole region like transport ,new cities ,technology etc.

This is a remedy that could work wonder! The states as we have it now are a big joke.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 04, 2011
logica:

And what is the difference between tribes and clans? Maybe my actually reading widely more than you do made me know they are the same. Or maybe English is foreign to you? smiley

You can follow the links or grab a dictionary and stop acting so learned when you are not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/clan

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tribe

When have I acted "learned" and how exactly does one even do that? By arguing out a point on Nairaland? Is that "acting learned"? lol!!!!!!Let's leave the straw man's argument for now and concentrate on the main point, all right?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by okooyinbo(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2011
okada_man:

BTW, If you say Congolese, Kenyans and Ghanaians don't do tribe, then you know very little about those countries

Exactly! Or what do you think was responsible for the Kenyans killing themselves after their last general elections with the subsequent "power sharing"? An average African is an "ethnic chauvinist". They have been practising that even before the advent of Europeans. Slave trade was very successful due to the hate Africans have for one another, even within the same ethnic group. The ethnic bashing that goes on on Nairaland is a miniscule of what transpires in the real world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gbenga Daniel Celebrates 59th Birthday / Fear Of Defeat Behind Buhari’s Refusal To Sign Electoral Act Amendment / Ondo Governor, Akeredolu Dissolves His Cabinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 211
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.