Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Abdulsalami Wanted Obj Killed – Al-mustapha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abdulsalami Wanted Obj Killed – Al-mustapha (770 Views)

Bindow Jibrilla Visits IBB & Abdulsalami Abubakar (Photos) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE / Al Mustapha Freed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abdulsalami Wanted Obj Killed – Al-mustapha by Abagworo(m): 12:27am On Aug 05, 2011
On August 5, 2011 · In Headlines

By Innocent Anaba
LAGOS—Major Hamza al-Mustapha who is on trial for the alleged murder of Kudirat Abiola, held the court spell-bound yesterday with fresh revelations of how the intrigues that gripped the nation following the annulment of the June12, 1993 Presidential Election almost led to the execution of former Head of State, Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo.

The latest in his tale of scheming for power within the military top brass was that former Head of State Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar wanted Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo killed.

His statement followed the playing of a video tape showing some Yoruba leaders- Late Abraham Adesanya, late Bola Ige and Ayo Opadokun addressing the media men after a meeting with Gen. Abubakar who was Head of State. The video did not, however, show the Yoruba leaders collecting bribe as alleged by al-Mustapha on Tuesaday.

Al-Mustapha at the Lagos High court Igbosere Lagos today Photo Shola Oyelese

Major Al-Mustapha who is facing trial for alleged murder of Chief Abiola’s wife, Kudirat, had told the court in his evidence-in-chief last Monday that former head of state, General Abdulsalami Abubakar withdrew huge sums of money from the Central Bank of Nigeria to ‘settle’ Yoruba leaders in order to douse the tension that gripped the South West following the death of Chief Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election on June 7, 1998. He had boasted that he had some video tapes to back his claim that South West leaders were compromised.

Yoruba leaders in Aso Rock

The video tape which was played in court yesterday, however, showed some Yoruba leaders leaving the meeting with General Abdusalam Abubakar at Aso Rock Villa. The video footage which he claimed was shot by his personal bodyguard revealed the faces of late Afenifere leader, Chief Abraham Adesanya; former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige and the former secretary of the National Democratic Coalition, Chief Ayo Opadokun leaving the meeting with the head of state, a day after Abiola’s death but did not contain the explosive revelation promised.

Al-Mustapha, also told the court that former Head of State, General Abdusalami Abubakar had wanted former President Olusegun Obasanjo executed in 1995 for coup plot.

He said that Abdusalami at a meeting, insisted that the Military Decree on coup plotting promulgated in 1976 when Obasanjo was the Military Head of State, should be applied to him (Obasanjo).

Illegal video tape

“I have the video tape illegally and I even sent a copy to General Obasanjo, with a note where I asked him to be very careful and be watchful,” Al-Mustapha told the court.

“General Abdusalami, who initiated the whole blackmail against me became the Head of State not because he was the best at that particular time, but that was how God used me to prevent bloodbath in this country. Those against Abdusalami then had even planned that he should go to the United Nations Organisation with Military Uniform. Through intelligence, I was able to decode that game plan and sent same to Abdusalami,” he told the court.

He also told the court that he was a pawn in the hands of powerful forces and that he was not responsible for the death of late Kudirat Abiola.

He said, “my predicament is simply a script that had been written. I was

earmarked for this punishment. Abiola’s family is my family. I was told face to face by names I cannot reveal, that I will be killed. They cannot afford to have me around, running my mouth.”

He also alleged that the former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, then a Superintendent of police, had wanted him dead, but that he was saved by former Inspector General of Police, Mr Mike Okori, then a Commissioner of Police, who refused to act on a letter from the presidency, that he (Al-Mustapha) be eliminated.

From the video shown, Adesanya told journalists that the discussion with Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar centred on the setting up of a Sovereign National Conference to prepare the constitution by which Nigeria will be ruled. “The Head of State listened to our concerns and we concluded that the Government of National Unity will continue to be in place despite the death of Abiola.”, Adesanya told newsmen

Asked by journalists how Abiola’s death affected the outcome of the meeting,

Adesanya’s response in the video was that he did not know.

Al-Mustapha also tendered a letter allegedly written by him to the Late Bola Ige telling him how he was used to douse tension generated by the death of the late MKO Abiola.

The letter which was read in open court, stated that after Abiola was confirmed dead, Ige was counseled to bring all other South-West leaders under the guise of dousing tension.

“All these actions were deliberate. You were only used unconsciously to ensure that Abiola’s death was covered up. They succeeded in stopping all Yoruba leaders and Abiola’s family from suing by paying them off with huge sums of money withdrawn from the Central Bank,” he said in the letter.

Al-Mustapha had also alleged in the letter that the Chief Ige appointment as Attorney General of the Federation was aimed at rewarding him for the unconscious role he played in Abiola’s murder.

“Unknown to you sir, you were made to deny people their rights even though they knew that you were one of the leading figures in human rights struggle in Nigeria, The same blood money given to the Yoruba leaders the day after Abiola was murdered was also used in paying the media,” the letter read.

Ribadu wanted me dead

Al-Mustapha also told the court that in 2007, when he was in court, he overheard Mallam Nuhu Ribadu and the then Commissioner of Police for Lagos State, Mr Mike Okiro, who later became the Inspector General of Police, debating on whether or not he (Al-Mustapha) was to be killed.

“The CP was bent on getting a letter from the presidency, stating that I be killed before he took any action. He refused to carry out the order. Some weeks later, CP Okiro was transferred out of Lagos State,” he said.

He said his arrest and incarceration were as a result of the ambitions of the people in power and that if MKO were alive, he will not be in prison.

“The real culprits are in society and are being respected but here I stand, being persecuted for their transgressions. I am a mere victim,” he told the court.

Meanwhile, trial judge, Justice Mojisola Dada adjourned the case till Aug 8, 9, 10 and 11 for continuation of trial.
Re: Abdulsalami Wanted Obj Killed – Al-mustapha by Nobody: 1:24am On Aug 05, 2011
Who wouldn't want the Abaya dead?

(1) (Reply)

News Release: Invitation To A Fifty-thousand-man-march In Owerri / Bankole Wants To Return to House Of Reps / Tinubu And The Lynch Mob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.