Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? (8800 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? / When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by talktrue1(m): 8:28am On Aug 05, 2011
Corruption has been the reason why Nigeria still remain undeveloped.
Just wondering if it started during the IBB regime?
Who knows?
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Arosa(m): 10:56am On Aug 05, 2011
corruption started during the colonial times. it was imported. lipsrsealed
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by olawalebabs(m): 12:08pm On Aug 05, 2011
Truly, it started with the colonials, i.e we import it. but over there, the punishment is stiff and always adhere to. that is why it is not pronounce as we have it here.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by WilWily: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2011
The main Corruption started in Nigeria after Biafra/Nigeria war, When Commander in Thief Of the Yorubas Thief Olefami Awolowo as the Finance minister collaborated with his Yorubas Kinsmen, they descended on the national Coffers and looted every thing, before Nigeria could know what was happening National Coffers are already empty and the money untraceable.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:57pm On Aug 05, 2011
WilWily:

The main Corruption started in Nigeria after Biafra/Nigeria war, When Commander in Thief Of the Yorubas Thief Olefami Awolowo as the Finance minister collaborated with his Yorubas Kinsmen, they descended on the national Coffers and looted every thing, before Nigeria could know what was happening National Coffers are already empty and the money untraceable.
Truth!
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by OmoLisabi(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2011
Corruption started in nigeria when the ever selfish corrupt ibo leader the mad Azikwe stole money from a Bank that does not belong to him only. Ibos started corruption.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by nolongTing: 1:13pm On Aug 05, 2011
talk true:

Corruption has been the reason why Nigeria still remain undeveloped.
Just wondering if it started during the IBB regime?
Who knows?

Corruption is a natural human trait, ever heard of the saying:  absolute power corrupts absolutely? Whats needed is strong institutions headed by people with a PROVEN past track record of high ethical standards to operate them.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:14pm On Aug 05, 2011
OmoLisabi:

Corruption started in nigeria when the ever selfish corrupt ibo leader the mad Azikwe stole money from a Bank that does not belong to him only. Ibos started corruption.

Lies!
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 6:48pm On Aug 05, 2011
OmoLisabi:

Crawl back under Olumo rock.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:53pm On Aug 05, 2011
I don't know much about colonial corruption.But I think it started in independent Nigeria when after the war, Awolowo gave all the Igbos that had thousands to millions in Nigerian banks 10 pounds. That's corruption in high heavens.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Muza(m): 10:07pm On Aug 05, 2011
but we can all agree that the only time corruption was really fought in Nigeria was during Buhari/Idiagbon
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by silverstud: 10:13pm On Aug 05, 2011
Corruption started when there became no accountability in Government & Governance. When the Nigerian Citizens stopped caring about how they were governed, but rather became interested in fighting tribal wars for the crooked politicians that they were suppose to be watching. And when i speak of Governance i mean in Government, Business, and religious affairs. undecided
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by tpia5: 1:51am On Aug 06, 2011
if you mean when did corruption start going unpunished, then that would be sometime after independence.

it ballooned so to speak.

got worse in the 80s or so.

no longer at ease, written in 1960, addresses the issue of bribes.

so even as far back as that time, bribes were already quite endemic.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 06, 2011
Corruption is a human vice found in any system under purview,a question we should ask is who first started began to sell human beings as slaves in history of the African continent?
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by odumchi: 4:18am On Aug 06, 2011
Corruption is evident in every governemnt. Even in the United States, which many praise as heaen on earth, corruption is present. Wasn't Murdoff the man who embezzeled $700m in public funds? But I digress, as for Nigeria, mass corruption started in the 70s.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 4:24am On Aug 06, 2011
Corruption was there in the beginning, Village head sold their people to slavery and got guns, clothes, shoes and mirrors in return, this was a corrupt practice.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 4:26am On Aug 06, 2011
odumchi:

Corruption is evident in every governemnt. Even in the United States, which many praise as heaen on earth, corruption is present. Wasn't Murdoff the man who embezzeled $700m in public funds? But I digress, as for Nigeria, mass corruption started in the 70s.
F9 means fail !!! Focus your answer to the question. Nobody asked you to explain the origin of corruption or which other country is corrupt
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by odumchi: 4:30am On Aug 06, 2011
Slavery, atleast in African terms was not corrupt. It was simple and justifiable. People did not sell their own people as yoou stated, usually they sold those who were thieves, war prisoners and etc. Slavery in olden times was a natural means of survival.

Yoru_Igbo:

Corruption was there in the beginning, Village head sold their people to slavery and got guns, clothes, shoes and mirrors in return, this was a corrupt practice.

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 4:37am On Aug 06, 2011
odumchi:

Slavery, atleast in African terms was not corrupt. It was simple and justifiable. People did not sell their own people as yoou stated, usually they sold those who were thieves, war prisoners and etc. Slavery in olden times was a natural means of survival.

Have you heard of King Jaja of Opobo? or better still Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther? base on your theory then these two persons were either theives, war prisoners etc. My brother I disagree with Kunta Kinte wasn't a criminal nor a war prisoner so please go back and read your history books again
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 4:39am On Aug 06, 2011
odumchi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaja_of_Opobo
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by igboboy1(m): 4:47am On Aug 06, 2011
Hmmm, it started when an Olodowa in the form of AwoOLE stole his father's wife and money (this became a trait he became addicted to in his life which he applied to in his role as a federal employee)
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by odumchi: 4:55am On Aug 06, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

Have you heard of King Jaja of Opobo? or better still Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther? base on your theory then these two persons were either theives, war prisoners etc. My brother I disagree with Kunta Kinte wasn't a criminal nor a war prisoner so please go back and read your history books again

O'boy why are you so quick to look for trouble. Abi your television no get signal?
My theory on African slavery is not conclusive. Anyone can enter slavery in the olden days through any means. However, before the days of the white man, slavery was far less an enterprise as it became in that era. People could enter into slavery throuh any means, "war, crime, false accusations, or siimply by kidnapping". Remember in African slavery, Slaves were still human beings and were treated decently. They became part of one's family, could be granted freedom, could be declared heirs/heiresses or the sons/daughters to/of their master. In the days prior to the advent of the Europeans, slaves were valuable commodities.

It wasn't until the 1700s that you saw the massive slave lines and convoys with chains and etc. Now, let me be, I wasn't referring to you in any of my posts abeg.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 5:02am On Aug 06, 2011
In the beginning there was corruption and corruption was with Nigeria and Corruption was Nigeria. Corruption was with Nigerian in the beginning. Corruption became a way of life and dwelled amongst all Nigerians. Without Nigerians the world corruption will reduce by half for Nigerians make up  50% of world corruption population and remove Nigeria from Africa then you would have successfully cleaned Africa of corruption.

Therefore Corruption was born the day Nigeria was born hence we all have corruption in our DNA!! and this cannot be change for Idiagbon tried to fight it and fail and Buhari said he will fight it but lost last election. Ribadu tried but ended up in Afghanistan. The more we try to fight corruption the more corrupt we become
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 5:06am On Aug 06, 2011
odumchi:

O'boy why are you so quick to look for trouble. Abi your television no get signal?
My theory on African slavery is not conclusive. Anyone can enter slavery in the olden days through any means. However, before the days of the white man, slavery was far less an enterprise as it became in that era. People could enter into slavery throuh any means, "war, crime, false accusations, or siimply by kidnapping". Remember in African slavery, Slaves were still human beings and were treated decently. They became part of one's family, could be granted freedom, could be declared heirs/heiresses or the sons/daughters to/of their master. In the days prior to the advent of the Europeans, slaves were valuable commodities.

It wasn't until the 1700s that you saw the massive slave lines and convoys with chains and etc. Now, let me be, I wasn't referring to you in any of my posts abeg.
Ok no vex grin grin Your blood don start to hot because I disagree with your comment, person like you no fit go senate o because you no fit share views but I know say you go fit share money sha, Na play I dey play with you no vex
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by odumchi: 5:26am On Aug 06, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

Ok no vex grin grin Your blood don start to hot because I disagree with your comment, person like you no fit go senate o because you no fit share views but I know say you go fit share money sha, Na play I dey play with you no vex

Your comment on me reading was what got me going. For next time, saying something like that is like breaking into the house of trouble. grin But anyway, Wahalla no dey.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 5:43am On Aug 06, 2011
odumchi:

Your comment on me reading was what got me going. For next time, saying something like that is like breaking into the house of trouble. grin But anyway, Wahalla no dey.

One love!! But na true I talk sha if you look am well well grin. The question na about Naija but your answer na about America. Wetin concern Amee fior the matter wey dey ground? Anyway Ifu ni bagha, no wahala at all
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by udbyron1(m): 7:07am On Aug 06, 2011
bullshit it started b4 the creation of man so far nigeria is concerned
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by kinguy(m): 7:52am On Aug 06, 2011
wat da ya andastand by d term corruption, even 4 bible corruption dey. well go ask ur [s][/s] gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 gr8 grand papa[/s] [s] sorry ur papa papa papa papa papa[s][/s] ur fore fadaz i wanted 2 say
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Sike(m): 7:57am On Aug 06, 2011
Corruption didnt Start someday. . .Itz in our DNA. We own Corruption! #beleeThat
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by valicious1(m): 8:15am On Aug 06, 2011
corruption can be classified into 2 viz micro & macro. Micro curruption came in2 being during the awolowo-igbo biafran war saga. OBJ is obviously the founder of MACRO/LARGESCALE corruption. Hmmm yorubas?? grin
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by bknight: 8:29am On Aug 06, 2011
corruption in its simpliest definition is d sins that we commit. not just d looting our political leaders engage themselves with.it is corrupt to tell a lie same way as it is of d kid that gets high marks in school for assignment we all know he didnt do himself.while d icpc,efcc and d ccb are on public, civil servants and d general public,religious leaders are not doing enough to tackle corruption at the minds who assembly before them. d anti-graft agencies can focus on financial corrupt practices, misuse of office, disregard for d law of d land etc but is going to help curb individual lying habits etc?

when did corruption start in nigeria? i'd say since there was a nigeria! maybe grand corruption took a new turn during d oil boom and was on d onwardprogressive destruction, but petty corruption's been there all d while.

in nigeria it is particularly tough to handle because a case is being manipulated into tribal,religious and political nexus.in d end u get so confused u wonder wat we're actually prosecuting for  

1 Like

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by NatGas(m): 8:30am On Aug 06, 2011
I dont know much about History in this context but I think corruption became "legalize" in 9ja in IBB's era.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Helicopter Crashed On 15th Trip Of The Day / Buhari Signs 2021 Budget / Why Nigerians Should Support Tinubu For 2023 - Akeem Adeyemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.