Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,590 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo (1005 Views)

The Zoo Called Nigeria (New Animal called Nnamdi Kanu on display in Cage) / It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo (fear Dey Catch Dem Small Small) / Mubarak Arrives Court In Cage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 05, 2011
http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108050592121

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Thursday called for dignified treatment of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, saying as a former head of state, Mubarak was entitled to personal dignity befitting his status.

Speaking in Mombasa, Kenya, where he is attending the African Leadership Conference, which is to round off on Friday, Obasanjo said the treatment meted to the former Egyptian leader was bad for the image of Africa as a continent.

“Put him in a cage? It is not proper. He deserves a better treatment. This is not good for the image of Africa,” Obasanjo told a gathering of African leaders, including former South African President Thabo Mbeki, and other governance experts gathered for the conference.

Egypt has put its former President on trial for the killing of protesters calling for his resignation in late January to early February this year.

Obasanjo, who had earlier addressed the African governance conference on the need for African governments to continue improving their governance ratings, also called on the African media to maintain high ethical standards to gain credibility.

He said the media in Africa could not claim a high moral ground and attempt to police good governance while still being held back by corruption within its ranks.

The African leaders at the conference, including ministers, top civil society voices across the continent and African scholars, called for massive infrastructure improvements to put the continent on a faster lane for the achievement of its economic development goals.

Speaking on the role of the media in advancing continental development, Obasanjo said from his knowledge of the Nigerian press, the media could not be trusted to champion governance.

He drew parallels with the likes of the British media, which he said engaged in gate-keeping of the news to ensure that news that would portray Britain in negative light was not publicised.

“I used to know that the BBC used to have a foreign relations officer whose duty it was to ensure that only news that does not hurt the image of Britain or its foreign relations are cleared for publication.

“I do not know if the system is still in place today,” he said.

Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2011
I know say na fear dey catch you, but no worry Sir, we will not put in a similar cage.
If we have the opportunity, we will only arrest you, put you on trial and send you back to that very prison where Abacha been put you. Cage? Noooo. we are still civilised, though it appears we are gradually being (dis)civilised: courtesy of folks like you.

Cheers.
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by Rgp92: 11:53am On Aug 05, 2011
I agreed with him, it is very silly to put someone inside a cage. Even the ww2 war criminals werent put inside a cage, most of them killed more people than Mubarak. Obatala save us africans from stupidity  embarassed
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by sheriffman(m): 11:53am On Aug 05, 2011
I know he is afraid of his own day which will soon come if he doesnt die lol
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by dustydee: 11:55am On Aug 05, 2011
true talk. Dem for show small respect na.
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by olawalebabs(m): 12:03pm On Aug 05, 2011
Though it is inhuman to cage him, but coming from Obasanjo. I belive na fear dey catch am.
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by Epiphany(m): 12:31pm On Aug 05, 2011
Yes, it was bad putting Mubarak in a cage, regardless of what he did. Based on the office he held, and not the person he is/was, he should have been shown some respect.
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by 1luvkipsus: 2:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
Really bad.

I know say na fear dey catch you, but no worry Sir, we will not put in a similar cage.
If we have the opportunity, we will only arrest you, put you on trial and send you back to that very prison where Abacha been put you. Cage? Noooo. we are still civilised, though it appears we are gradually being (dis)civilised: courtesy of folks like you.

Shut up that your trap my friend. Who are u to put Obj in prison?
Re: It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo by OAM4J: 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2011

(1)

Nigeria May Not Remain A Corporate Entity For Long – Daudu / Jomo Gbomo: “you Can’t Threaten Jonathan; We’ll Go After You” –general Okin Sele / Akhwat Akwop Disowns Sultan As Northern Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.