Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,499 members, 7,958,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:05 PM

He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K (17829 Views)

Cleaner Earns N375,000 Monthly In Niger State – Investigation / HELP!!! He Wants To Quit His Job / He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 13, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

mr chike obi, i am doing the calculations too
He had another budget for baby stuffs. which is 15k.
patapata na 20k for market jere. for 30 days. u sef look am nar

i am married with two kids, i know exactly what the guy is going through as far as expenses go.

unless u are aiming for a particularly low quality of life - like back in the day when i ate agege bread for breakfast , mama put (often without meat) for lunch, and garri or agege bread again for supper. with that and the lowest quality foostuffs, that gari that is 20 parts dirt and stones, cowbell powdered milk that never fully dissolves, omo that will age your clothes faster , maybe your 20k may cut it
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 13, 2011
oyb:

i am married with two kids, i know exactly what the guy is going through as far as expenses go.

unless u are aiming for a particularly low quality of life - like back in the day when i ate agege bread for breakfast , mama put (often without meat) for lunch, and garri or agege bread again for supper. with that and the lowest quality foostuffs, that gari that is 20 parts dirt and stones, cowbell powdered milk that never fully dissolves, omo that will age your clothes faster , maybe your 20k may cut it

You have 2 kids and he has 1. now u cant compare anymore you see. that how simple maths his. the variables are no longer the same so you cant really confirm if 20k will cut it or not but you are judging by your own life style and family size
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

You have 2 kids and he has 1. now u cant compare anymore you see. that how simple maths his. the variables are no longer the same so you cant really confirm if 20k will cut it or not but you are judging by your own life style and family size

i doubt if you're married, you are not based in nigeria, so what variables are you using?

the guy lives in abuja - which has a higher cost of living than lagos

i have a direct idea of the cost of several household items

i can spend 20k in a single outing to the supermarket - on household items and foodstuffs.

most women (my wife included) whose husbands refuse to drop more than a particular amount simply supplement from their salary and keep mum. its when the man is forced to shop that his eyes open.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2011
oyb:

i doubt if you're married, you are not based in nigeria, so what variables are you using?

the guy lives in abuja - which has a higher cost of living than lagos

i have a direct idea of the cost of several household items

i can spend 20k in a single outing to the supermarket - on household items and foodstuffs.

most women (my wife included) whose husbands refuse to drop more than a particular amount simply supplement from their salary and keep mum. its when the man is forced to shop that his eyes open.

I am not married yes, But i have friends that are . Ok now you said  wife may join some change. this MR 160K didnt state if hin wife dey support am with bar or anything.
so it still comes down to the issue. u cant compare urself coz the variables aint the same.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 13, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

I am not married yes, But i have friends that are . Ok now you said  wife may join some change. this MR 160K didnt state if hin wife dey support am with bar or anything.
so it still comes down to the issue. u cant compare urself coz the variables aint the same.

if i, a worker in nigeria in similar circumstances, cannot compare myself with the guy, then frankly you have no business doing so

all your talk of variables is irrelevant - i am pointing out that there is a high possiblity that even the 30k is not enough and the wfe may be supplementing it, and you are completely missing my point

different people have analysed breakdowns - i have pointed out several cost items that you did not consider, and you are still stubbornly going on about - 'variables'

anyway, some things will NEVER be understood or appreciated until you are in that position.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by God2man(m): 1:54pm On Aug 13, 2011
Let us embrace change. No condition is permanent. We have forgotten that, there is the possibilty that the company sack him for misconduct or the company close down. However, he can leave this 160k job for one reason, if there is a good transition plan on ground, like bayourfar mentioned in his reply, it will be better so that he can start to employ people to work for him, this is what nigeria need now, somebody has to take the calculated risk and leave the comfort zone to become an entrepeneur otherwise there will continue to be mass unemployment. God bless you. God2man.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by zelaws: 1:57pm On Aug 13, 2011
I m sure ds guy got the job straight from school he did not search for it @ all.
This is a story of a friend of mine.
He passed out from NYSC on Tuesaday and resumed for his 1st job the next Friday in an IT firm.
This guy worked for less than 2 years . He started complaining about underpayment, job welfare security etc
thinking tis easy getting another job with is little experience. He resigned.
He hustled to get contracts and do other IT sales but @ the end of the 3rd month he can only raise 40k.

Hustling can be good if u av good back up if it dosent pay off immediately @ least u 'll something to fall back on.
If ur friend does nt have a solid back up and business plan he dare not.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 13, 2011
oyb:

if i, a worker in nigeria in similar circumstances, cannot compare myself with the guy, then frankly you have no business doing so

all your talk of variables is irrelevant - i am pointing out that there is a high possiblity that even the 30k is not enough and the wfe may be supplementing it, and you are completely missing my point

different people have analysed breakdowns - i have pointed out several cost items that you did not consider, and you are still stubbornly going on about - 'variables'  

anyway, some things will NEVER be understood or appreciated until you are in that position.

Even if i am to agree at your point, are you saying that 30k worth of supplies will be over in 30 days and every month you have to bring out 30k
Its mathematically impossible jor
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by otokx(m): 2:05pm On Aug 13, 2011
The guy should think again.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by IBEXY(m): 2:24pm On Aug 13, 2011
Last time I checked, 160k is above average income in naija. Are we really seriously debating this issue or is this some ego massaging exploit? Seriously, am outa here angry
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by KoikiM: 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2011
The fear of the unknown is the weirdest of all fears. He shouldn't wait for 27th as long as he has something planned to engage himself. In life, one must take a leap of faith before he/she can make it otherwise he will end up living from hand to mouth and in case you think things will change in that job, it will get worse till the finally nail him to the cross/dump him. Let him get out as fast as he came in.

To have faith is good, so also risk. But, there are risks a married man should not be advised to take. I took the same the same step of faith and i resigned to start doing my own thing. Even with no savings. But, then, i was much younger with little or no responsibility. It has paid off. You wanna hear something? I dare not take such risk now that am a little it older, even with very little responsibility. However, if he thinks that is the best for him, what is his current savings? Plans? and so on,
My guy, you don't just take risks in the name of faith.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Aboluwarin: 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2011
Ogun ati egun idile lo n yo ore re lenu,your friend lack planning, he better never leave the job bcus he will eat suffering as food, may be he never suffer before he get the job. let him reduce the flierboyant expenses, if he cant plan for his life with that amont of salary even if his geting million he wount move forward.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by hollas2jnr(m): 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2011
damn, i mean no harm but r u sure ur friend is ok psychologically? one need no advice on this issue at all. infact i have so much to say running thru my head right now. even if he doesn't want to leave where he resides, he can buy food stuffs in bulk, cut down UNimportant food accessories, cut down d quantity of fuel he burns perhaps - he doesn't have to power his generator all d time, minimise his driving around to UNnecessary places (friends, family, etc), must he have to spend up to 5k on drinking at times, he could take his lunch to office from home and only av to spend on lunch when really NEcessary but no all d time, his wife could setup a business no matter how small d profit, and i hope he's not d kind christian that flaunts his offering, deep himself into so many pledges, vow, etc. in church. anyway, my advice for him is to keep d job, work on d way he spends and move on with life, with these and other NLers' advices, i believe we'll see at d top. may GOD help him n his family. chees!uld take his lunch to office from home and only av to spend on lunch when really NEcessary but no all d time, his wife could setup a business no matter how small d profit, and i hope he's not d kind christian that flaunts his offering, deep himself into so many pledges, vow, etc. in church. anyway, my advice for him is to keep d job, work on d way he spends and move on with life, with these and other NLers' advices, i believe we'll see at d top. may GOD help him n his family. chees!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by skido84: 3:22pm On Aug 13, 2011
I'd say he resign and inform an equally qualified,unemployed graduate to take his place, just kidding.
On a serious note,i can understand his frustration.A job can get monotonous and sometimes you want to break free,earn more and live the dream life which is a good thing.But it requires thinking,planning and having quiet moments with yourself.My suggestion, think of a side business,invest in it,grow it ALONGSIDE YOUR JOB and when its bringing in income that supercedes your job,then resign.Leaving your job without anything to fall back on except a hustlers mindset is just signing up for pain.I tried it and learned big from my mistake,and am single.As a married man,its double pain.Please,beg your friend to think it through.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by ogbongzky(m): 3:32pm On Aug 13, 2011
Let him quit and start serious blogging. I make above 100k from Adsense monthly with me doing nothing much, though have worked so hard for my blog to reach where it is today. If he is a born hustler, he will surely be better without that job, Nevertheless, he should think very well ooo
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Imohbyron(m): 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2011
obowunmi:

Is he planning to start a business ? Does he have savings? What are his future financial projections? What a WICKED MAN if not. When his wife starts disrespecting him or starts sleeping with his pastor --  he eyes go con open  angry angry angry
well said
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by N101: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2011
Rhino.5dm:
Well from a broader perspective and considering the fact that he has a kid and a wife to take for, and most importantly am likely to inherit his responsibilities, i advice him to hang on.

If this person is your friend, how will you "inherit his responsibilities"?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Rhino5dm: 4:59pm On Aug 13, 2011
what do you mean?

N101:

Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by obowunmi(m): 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2011
N101:

ahahahahhha!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Immortall: 5:36pm On Aug 13, 2011
Mhen, external forces are warring against d guy, 4 real. Somebody's doing him from home! He need serious prayers.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by buzugee(m): 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2011
this guy earns more than half the population in england and he is complaining. nonsense and ingredient. i just converted to pounds his salary after tax and it is 160 pounds a week. meaning before tax he is on 210 pounds which is about 11,000 pounds. not a great salary but not too shabby either.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by blackpanda: 6:02pm On Aug 13, 2011
Its the same situation workers face all over the world. Quiting ur job in "hope" of better pay is the worst decision ever!-i know cos i fell into it as well. Better to persevere and gradually work ur way through the ranks. Except u have concrete plans for a better place, stick to where you are. The grass is never greener(as it usually seems) on the other side
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by owobokiri(m): 6:18pm On Aug 13, 2011
Good idea if he has the heart to do so and a good plan. Look at it positively and give him the suppourt he needs cos it will be tough for him initially. .
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by buzugee(m): 6:25pm On Aug 13, 2011
believe it or not you are one of the richest people on this planet. you rank at the top 11th percentage richest people on earth. hope that made you feel better. here is the scale

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by atasteve: 6:29pm On Aug 13, 2011
Naturally speaking the way you change jobs in the corporate world is like a "monkey" jumping from one tree to another. The monkey doesn't leave the present tree branch unless it is very sure of the next tree branch that it will hang on.

Even if you want to start a business of your own, you have to run it parallel until the time you feel that your business is disturbing your paid employment or the other way round.

If you were to be a single man, then resigning might be a good idea but as a married man it is a different ball game. A bird at hand is better than two in the bush!!!

Please don't cut your coat according to your size but CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR CLOTH.

If your resignation is as a result of what you divinely hear from God then you can go ahead.

Mind you there are people floating larger families on salaries less than 160k per month.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by violent(m): 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2011
atasteve:

Naturally speaking the way you change jobs in the corporate world is like a "monkey" jumping from one tree to another. The monkey doesn't leave the present tree branch unless it is very sure of the next tree branch that it will hang on.

Even if you want to start a business of your own, you have to run it parallel until the time you feel that your business is disturbing your paid employment or the other way round.

If you were to be a single man, then resigning might be a good idea but as a married man it is a different ball game. A bird at hand is better than two in the bush!!!

Please don't cut your coat according to your size but CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR CLOTH.

If your resignation is as a result of what you divinely hear from God then you can go ahead.

Mind you there are people floating larger families on salaries less than 160k per month.

+1000000!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by DisGuy: 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2011
Most of the people doing calculations for food abeg, the poster is not the main person so you cant really conclude what the monthly expense is used for, I think the OP just gave rough estimate, the main person involved will probably have the nitty gritty

AND wouldn't the wife get spending money a month?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Exponental(m): 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2011
If d guy has a back up for his hustling, its ok.
But if its a trial thing, he shld consider askin d "retrencheds" hw lyf is witout a job!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by sleekman(m): 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2011
Don't want to insult anyone but his reasoning as regards this is low.

I would have rather applied some scaling back.

2year restructure plan
Give madam N20,000 to the market
Get a cheaper accomodation N150,000-250,000 besides what's he doing with a 3b/r apartment with only a wife and a kid?
Is it a must to drive a car? Cut down on fuel.
N8000 beer over three months
and a couple of belt tightening measures until I save enough to start another business or get a better paying job. I think you should also tell your friend that if he quits without something to fall back on then he shouldn't come to you when the going gets rough.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by femmy2010(m): 7:55pm On Aug 13, 2011
klas:

N324,000 per annum rented house is too exorbitant for a qualified engineer with a family? shocked

Not too much and not too small but one should indeed live within ones budget.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2011
Hahaha. Well, ur friend is fed up with his routine job. Even relief goten from a pay rise wont stop him from having thesame feeling wthin the next six months. I like his spirit. But tell him that his hustling alongside his job will do him much good before quitting. Ask him how much he is already earning outside his paycheck. If it is less than 100k, then he shouldnt try quitting, at least for sake of his wife and child. Making a transition from white collar to hustling or mainstream business isnt easy. Am in the process. Even with a hustling income at par my paycheck b4 quiting my job, am not finding it easy. Because you are bound to make some business mistakes associated with putting urself on ground to launch an income to cover ur lost pay check. But success truly belongs to people who crave for change and adapt to it easily. A good payrise or promotion now comes once in four years by average no matter the sector you find yourself in Nigeria. You can hardly fulfill your dreams under such conditions. I was working for 11 to 12hrs a day under high stress levels on my own job. I knew that quitting for me was a must and I did and can never regret it.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by DisGuy: 9:48pm On Aug 13, 2011
sleekman:

Don't want to insult anyone but his reasoning as regards this is low.

I would have rather applied some scaling back.

2year restructure plan
Give madam N20,000 to the market
Get a cheaper accomodation N150,000-250,000 besides what's he doing with a 3b/r apartment with only a wife and a kid?
Is it a must to drive a car? Cut down on fuel.
N8000 beer over three months
and a couple of belt tightening measures until I save enough to start another business or get a better paying job. I think you should also tell your friend that if he quits without something to fall back on then he shouldn't come to you when the going gets rough.

He is an Engineer, a civil engineer

He should quit drinking he will save 60K/year grin

femmy2010:

Not too much and not too small but one should indeed live within ones budget.

What if he lives in Abuja, doubt cheap accommodation in Abuja
plus if he finds another accommodation his travelling expenses might also shoot up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Stop The Ongoing FIRS Promotional Examination Saga - Aggrieved Staff / Man Electrocuted While Disconnecting Electric Wires In Delta State / Access Bank Plc Recruitment Stages For 2022 Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.