Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,178 members, 7,829,225 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls (8537 Views)

Osinbajo Inaugurates World’s First Equatorial Aeronomy Radar / Lai Mohammed: Shortfalls In Budget Allocation Hampering War Against Fake News / FG Moves To End DSTV's Monopoly, Says Multichoice Is Cheating Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by GamalNasser: 8:40am On Aug 22, 2022
Not again another corruption pipeline being opened ..the govt should stop pampering these theiving DISCOs ..any Disco running at a loss should close shop and let another disco take over
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 22, 2022
GamalNasser:
Not again another corruption pipeline being opened ..the govt should stop pampering these theiving DISCOs ..any Disco running at a loss should close shop and let another disco take over

DISCOS are running at a loss because government sets their prices, not because of bad business practice.

Government sets their price below the actual cost of power, and pays them a 'subsidy' that does not adequately cover the loss.

Price controls don't make economic sense for private companies, or government ones.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by GamalNasser: 9:18am On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

DISCOS are running at a loss because government sets their prices, not because of bad business practice.

Government sets their price below the actual cost of power, and pays them a 'subsidy' that does not adequately cover the loss.

Price controls don't make economic sense for private companies, or government ones.

Are you aware aware that we pay more averagely per KWH than the American average ..In America the average is 42 naira per KWH while in Nigeria it's 59 naira and we don't even get upto 6 hours of electricity a day
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by lomprico(m): 9:30am On Aug 22, 2022
parkervero:
APC made a terrible mistake for not giving the presidential ticket to this man.

Dem for no still win! He would have done what Obi did, Join another party, by now the arguments should have been Obidienst vs Starboi I'm which hope for coming Nigerians would have been 99% sure.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 22, 2022
GamalNasser:

Are you aware aware that we pay more averagely per KWH than the American average ..In America the average is 42 naira per KWH while in Nigeria it's 59 naira and we don't even get upto 6 hours of electricity a day

But we get less number of hours of power a day than we do. Plus 30 percent of Nigerians do not pay for the power they use.

If everyone paid a cost reflective tariff, we would have enough money to fix things, ensure regular power supply to more consumers and maybe prices will fall.

Plus, anecdotally speaking, a friend of mine in the USA spends the equivalent of 64000 naira monthly on power for her two.bedroom flat. My estimated billing for a one bedroom flat 5 years ago cost 11000 monthly. On meter it even went lower
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by GamalNasser: 9:52am On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

But we get less number of hours of power a day than we do. Plus 30 percent of Nigerians do not pay for the power they use.

If everyone paid a cost reflective tariff, we would have enough money to fix things, ensure regular power supply to more consumers and maybe prices will fall.

Plus, anecdotally speaking, a friend of mine in the USA spends the equivalent of 64000 naira monthly on power for her two.bedroom flat. My estimated billing for a one bedroom flat 5 years ago cost 11000 monthly. On meter it even went lower

At 6 hours of electricity a day I spend half of what she spends a month and then imagine if I had 24 hours I will be be spending far more than her..
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 22, 2022
GamalNasser:

At 6 hours of electricity a day I spend half of what she spends a month and then imagine if I had 24 hours I will be be spending far more than her..

Probably because you live in a Band A area. And even then I doubt your figures.

Depending on your part of the country your price could be anywhere between 41-60 naira. If you get 6 hours a day, you could be paying 39 naira per kWh. Band A gets 20 to 24 hours. And pay closeto the US average of 68 naira per kWh.

I live in a band A area and pay 57 naira per kWh . Abuja disco. I just bought power for my meter by the way.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by GamalNasser: 10:04am On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

Probably because you live in a Band A area. And even then I doubt your figures.

Depending on your part of the country your price could be anywhere between 41-60 naira. If you get 6 hours a day, you could be paying 39 naira per kWh. Band A gets 20 to 24 hours. And pay closeto the US average of 68 naira per kWh.

I live in a band A area and pay 57 naira per kWh . Abuja disco. I just bought power for my meter by the way.

That Band A Band B crap is fraud and has never been honored by thieving EKO Discos..it was just a ruse to increase tarriffs
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 22, 2022
GamalNasser:

That Band A Band B crap is fraud and has never been honored by thieving EKO Discos..it was just a ruse to increase tarriffs

Well that is your disco issue, it may not apply to other discos.

And anyway, it was once as low as 20 to 30 naira.

I reckon it costs that much because a lot of work needs to be done to bring things up to scratch.

GSM used to be very expensive for the same reasons. My first SIM cost me over 7000 naira in 2004/5. Mtel. Something I can now buy for less than 1000 naira.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by GamalNasser: 10:09am On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

Well that is your disco issue, it may not apply to other discos.

And anyway, it was once as low as 20 to 30 naira.

I reckon it costs that much because a lot of work needs to be done to bring things up to scratch.

GSM used to be very expensive for the same reasons. My first SIM cost me over 7000 naira in 2004/5. Mtel. Something I can now buy for less than 1000 naira.

All my experience is based on the criminal EKO disco ..it's the worst disco in Nigeria
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Joylove2324(f): 10:24am On Aug 22, 2022
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Winning123: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2022
Thank you for educating him

29kobo:

Because the tariff is where the money to pay for better generation and transmission is going to come from.

And tariff collection for power is weak. Not only is the tariff not cost reflective, but about 30-40% of consumers do not pay (and that includes metered customers, before you start)

Where do you think GSM companies get money to pay for expansion of their facilites? The money you use for airtime is a big part of the funds they use for it.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Winning123: 11:19am On Aug 22, 2022
I don't think so. Wait to experience Ikeja. They are terrible and 99.9% of their staff are corrupt. There Jankara office is the headquarters of corruption.

GamalNasser:

All my experience is based on the criminal EKO disco ..it's the worst disco in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by snoopz: 11:50am On Aug 22, 2022
So we still have a vp in Nigeria
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Albertgr8: 12:03pm On Aug 22, 2022
Give everyone pre payed meter this will be solved
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by oyeb15: 3:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

Because the tariff is where the money to pay for better generation and transmission is going to come from.

And tariff collection for power is weak. Not only is the tariff not cost reflective, but about 30-40% of consumers do not pay (and that includes metered customers, before you start)

Where do you think GSM companies get money to pay for expansion of their facilites? The money you use for airtime is a big part of the funds they use for it.

Customers pay but most of those money don't reach their headquarters. Sometimes our previous payments don't reflect in new bills
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 22, 2022
oyeb15:

Customers pay but most of those money don't reach their headquarters. Sometimes our previous payments don't reflect in new bills

All true, but most of the money does reach...and this is compounded by the lack of a cost reflective tarrif.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by oyeb15: 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2022
29kobo:

All true, but most of the money does reach...and this is compounded by the lack of a cost reflective tarrif.

If electricity is well distributed , Government will make more money. Do you know community themselves wire their villages and buy transformers b4 Bdec,phcn etc come and connect/bill them .

The burden is heavy on the consumers.The prepaid meters were hacked to consume more. It's just fraud.

Do gsm companies consult anyone b4 building their mast in unconnected locations and run them with deisel.

In advanced countries, these companies wire every location. Even like two different electricity companies in every location. You just choose which one you prefer to connect with.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Bankowner: 3:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
Adding to the already bloated government parastatals with little or no result to show at the end of the day.
Re: Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2022
oyeb15:

If electricity is well distributed , Government will make more money. Do you know community themselves wire their villages and buy transformers b4 Bdec,phcn etc come and connect/bill them .

Electricity is not well distribiuted because the transmission system is poor, and the communities buy poles, transformers, because DISCOS and Gencos and TCN cannot afford it...which boils down to the tarrif not being cost reflective.

The burden is heavy on the consumers.The prepaid meters were hacked to consume more. It's just fraud.

Do gsm companies consult anyone b4 building their mast in unconnected locations and run them with deisel.

Well, they said the same thing about GSM companies in the early days. Burden heavy on consumers. Service was poor back then, and people were paying a lot of money.

For example, at one point, you could only call an MTN line with another MTN line. You could not call a NITEL landline, airtel line with an MTN line.
And a SIM could cost anywhere between 7000-10000.

It was that expensive because the GSM companies had to build everything from scratch. Almost the same situnation exists in the power sector.....and one does not solve that problem by making power companies charge N20-30 per kwh for over 4 years post privatizaiton, when they should have been charging N83 per kwh...even now.

Electricity costs money. When you let the discos and gencos set their price...sure we would be paying N90 per kwh...BUT...we would no longer buy poles ...because the discos and gencos would have the money to do so.

I went to a private school for my primary school .For a very high fee...which forced my parents to do what we would call side hustle today...we got exercise books, pencils, ruler, etc...from the school. Every year...because since we were paying sky high fees, school could afford to give us exercise book, textbook, pencil, biro, even desk.

Then I went to a Government secondary school, where they were paying one fifth of what my primary school was paying. It was cheap....but we had to buy textbooks, exercise books, even make desk...because the low fees we were paying at the government school meant that the school had no money to pay for all of that and give us...unlike my private primary school.
In advanced countries, these companies wire every location. Even like two different electricity companies in every location. You just choose which one you prefer to connect with.

Which government should have done here...but as someone said elsewhere on this site..it won't be possible for now due to techincal reasons...not lack of willingness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forex Crisis Pushes Petrol Subsidy To N907.5b Monthly / Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) / Multiple Suicide Bombing Reported Around Muna Garage In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.