Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,559 members, 7,865,321 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:43 PM

Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities (1393 Views)

Jonathan Appoints Gbenga Daniel, Abacha’s Aide Varsities Council Chairmen / Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money / Card Reader Delays President Jonathan's Accreditation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan Friday said the nine newly established Federal Universities have not taken off due to the delay in the payment of take-off grants and dearth of infrastructure needed by the institutions.

Jonathan said this in Otuoke, his home in Bayelsa State while fielding questions from newsmen after a meeting with the people of Otuoke who had complained about the delay in the take off of the university sited in their community.

The people, led by the traditional ruler of the community had complained to the President in his native Ogbia language, asking to know why the institution had not taken off as scheduled.

But the President who arrived in the state at about 2pm and proceeded to the site of the Federal University in Otueke where he inspected the on-going three faculty buildings, houses for the senior officials of the university, the conference centre and class room blocks before going for the meeting said the work so far going on at the site of the university are by community effort.

"We have studied everything and it is our directive that not all the new universities will start academic work this year. We would not want them to admit students where we don’t have infrastructure. There are funds to be released for the university to start and there is also the issue of land acquisition and the issuance of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report, which the Vice Chancellor also complained about today''.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-cash-delays-take-off-of-new-varsities/96030/
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by ektbear: 3:21am On Aug 07, 2011
hmm
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Nobody: 4:05am On Aug 07, 2011
So it is now evident to him,that Universities are not created by propaganda but through careful thought. GEJ as a PHD holder should remember that Education is very critical to national development,not to be politicised.
I still believe creating new Universities are inadequate without upgrading existing ones.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by wesley80(m): 4:06am On Aug 07, 2011
Derided for initiating the universities in the first place, now they cant wait to see same 'unnecessary' universities takeoff? no wonder they are called 'detractors'!
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by stormm: 4:47am On Aug 07, 2011
Bros Jonah just cannot disappoint me! Always with his unending excuses.

FRESH AIR carry go wink
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by oderemo(m): 8:48am On Aug 07, 2011
"We have studied everything and it is our directive that not all the new universities will start academic work this year. We would not want them to admit students where we don’t have infrastructure. There are funds to be released for the university to start and there is also the issue of land acquisition and the issuance of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report, which the Vice Chancellor also complained about today''.
i rest my case with this visionless leader of ours.
first thing is, he had studied nothing, had he , he would have realised the latter part of his statements.
cart before the horse.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Beaf: 9:22am On Aug 07, 2011
^
Some will be ready before others, thats common sense.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Ibime(m): 9:25am On Aug 07, 2011
Has any infrastructure been built for any of the Unis?
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by wesley80(m): 10:16am On Aug 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But the President who arrived in the state at about 2pm and proceeded to the site of the Federal University in Otueke where he inspected the on-going three faculty buildings, houses for the senior officials of the university, the conference centre and class room blocks before going for the meeting
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by stormm: 8:44am On Aug 09, 2011
Beaf:

Some will be ready before others, thats common sense.

Guess I missed my way, is this the jokes section? grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Kobojunkie: 5:23pm On Aug 09, 2011
[size=13pt]"We have studied everything and it is our directive that not all the new universities will start academic work this year. We would not want them to admit students where we don’t have infrastructure. There are funds to be released for the university to start and there is also the issue of land acquisition and the issuance of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report, which the Vice Chancellor also complained about today''.[/size]
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by wesley80(m): 11:28pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^^ ??
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by DisGuy: 2:38am On Aug 10, 2011
Why do they always build houses for 'senior officials' of universities? waste of resources

You'd think they've really thought things through, Johnie boy just being johnie
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by DisGuy: 11:17pm On Oct 11, 2011
So how many students go through this year?
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 11, 2011
***smh*** pls, can someone ask GEJ what was he thinking when he promised nine new fed uni? Who is he trying to impress with this useless excuse of no cash for the uni take off? I wudnt be surprised if the allocation for the nine fed uni in the 2011 sup.budget have already been utilized and lands for the project not yet allocated, lol (typical 9ja way)

But come to think of it,, do we really need anode nine substandard (glorified sec.sch) unis? Why not transform / upgrade nine of the present unis to world class,, one for a particular field of study.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by kcjazz(m): 2:16am On Oct 12, 2011
Linex:

***smh*** pls, can someone ask GEJ what was he thinking when he promised nine new fed uni? Who is he trying to impress with this useless excuse of no cash for the uni take off? I wudnt be surprised if the allocation for the nine fed uni in the 2011 sup.budget have already been utilized and lands for the project not yet allocated, lol (typical 9ja way)

But come to think of it,, do we really need anode nine substandard (glorified sec.sch) unis? Why not transform / upgrade nine of the present unis to world class,, one for a particular field of study.

Agreed, the quality vs quantity argument makes sense but with a system that currently runs based on quota/catchment area at Federal Universities, then every state has a right to have a Federal University to promote a level playing field for all students. It is unfair if a student with 10 credits plus JAMB can get into his state university while another one has 10 Distinctions plus JAMB is denied based on quota system to the same University and is delayed cos his state of Bayelsa has none. Fairness for the poor smart ones!

Mr President has to look for funding for the schools, the issue of quality goes beyond funding, we need massive reform
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by ektbear: 2:45am On Oct 12, 2011

The one being built in Bayelsa will not be substandard. Neither will the one planned for Ekiti.

If you gain admission to the former, at least given what the VC has said and what I know about him, it'll be as good as any university in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by arsenefc: 4:14am On Oct 12, 2011

[size=18pt]The one being built in Bayelsa will not be substandard. Neither will the one planned for Ekiti.[/size]

If you gain admission to the former, at least given what the VC has said and what I know about him, it'll be as good as any university in Nigeria.

One of the most m//o/r/o/n/i/c posts I have come across on NL

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NIgerianWorldForum/message/46736

Even his father knows his son is a fool, here you are, someone who has never met him, besides reading up on him on the internet trying to tell us otherwise. You just like to drop names shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

"Going by what I know about him," yeah, you guys are close friends, I know. You guys sleeping with the same woman? or you both clean your arses ( aka "tamba) the same way? What is that you know about him that the rest of us dont know? Bloody name-dropper.

You probably know GEJ too? Who do you not know gan sef? You know Aregbesola, Tinubu, Bola Ige, OGD, and now Bolaji Aluko? You know everybody personally. Are you like God or something? SMH
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by arsenefc: 4:21am On Oct 12, 2011
Linex:

B[b]ut come to think of it,, do we really need anode nine substandard (glorified sec.sch) unis? Why not transform / upgrade nine of the present unis to world class,, one for a particular field of study. [/b]

Abi ooooo

The ones on ground are still begging for attention, now they are building new ones. And yet, somehow, our resident all knowing NL intellectual is  c/oc/k-sure that the new ones wont be substandard. Diasporans and that stupidddd pontification.

Do we really need a fortune teller to tell us stuff that has played right in front of our very eyes for the past 51 yrs?
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by ektbear: 4:35am On Oct 12, 2011
Fstranger, you are a bit of a dimwit.

Ordinarily in the past I'd explain why you are being stvpid, but evidently this doesn't seem to help you.

So I won't bother.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Kobojunkie: 5:28am On Nov 17, 2011
I heard a funny story today. Someone in Nigeria actually told me that it was announced that there is now a university in, I believe Abakiliki region. According to the lady in question, one of the 6(not nine) universities is already up and running in this area. Anyone able to verify this claim?
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by ifyalways(f): 6:41am On Nov 17, 2011
@Kobo,There is a "state" Uni @ Abakaliki,EBSU.Been existing since 1996.

@Topic,Another uni. @ Otuoke?why not concentrate on upgrading the existing one @ Amasoma(sp)?
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by otokx(m): 10:08am On Nov 17, 2011
Breath of fresh air
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by PointB: 2:50pm On Nov 17, 2011
The official pronouncement is still the necessary first step in building any university. Besides most universities don't start with mega structures, an administration office block and a few classroom is what is symbolically important in starting a university. This can be started on temporary site while work commences at a later date on the permanent site. Things don't always go smoothly in real live.

That said the population of Nigeria is growing, without building new universities, 10 years down the line we will inevitably experience the same problem we are having in the power sector. Hence, the decision to establish more universities can only be said to be with some elements of foresight.
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Standing5(m): 11:38am On Nov 18, 2011
he is trying to make us believe cash is our problem but we know better. they only want to impose their uncomprehending policies on the masses
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2011
[size=14pt]Senator Cautions FG On New Universities[/size]

The federal government should properly fund and furnish existing federal universities instead of opening new ones, Senator Effiong Dickson Bob has said.

Senator Bob said this while donating 585 books which he authored on the independence of Nigeria's legislature to the 117 universities in the country yesterday at the National Universities Commission (NUC) in Abuja.

He said Nigeria cannot afford to produce graduates that cannot compete in international labour markets.

He said what informed his decision to write the book titled Independence of the Legislature in Nigeria was that bills passed by the legislature are often rejected by the executive and even when they are signed into law, they are hardly implemented.

"In donating these books to Nigerian universities, I am convinced that students of political science, law, history and the generality of the academic community will find it useful. I am committed towards lifting the standards of education in Nigeria. I call on all my colleagues who have participated in governance in Nigeria to help expand the discourse and enrich the lives of our students in tertiary institutions," he said.

Each of the 117 universities in the country will receive five copies of the book.

Also speaking at the event, Chairman Senate Committee on Education, Senator Uche Chukwumerije said all stakeholders must contribute to improve the falling standards of education in the country.

Executive Secretary of the NUC, Professor Julius Okojie who received the books on behalf of Nigerian universities said the commission would study it and ensure it is a must read for students.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201110120823.html
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by manchy7531: 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2011
what sense does it make building more universities when the existing ones are in shambles??
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by Kx: 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2011
When we make news b4 me make simple C/B or project viability analysis, this is what we get.
Dead on arrival
Re: Jonathan: Cash Delays Take Off Of New Varsities by CyberG: 11:35pm On Nov 18, 2011
Huffing and Puffing = Goofing and Gaffing = Jonagaffe Goofluck! grin grin

(1) (Reply)

We Saw Hell In Medina, Lament Deported Pilgrims / BIAFRA: American Secret Cable Exposes The Untold Story!!! / 2015: APC Unfold 8-point Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.