Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

What Is The Origin Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Origin Of God? (1083 Views)

The Origin of Na.kedness / "What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Origin Of God? by mabell: 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2011
Yesterday a young boy asked a question and it goes like this
WHATS THE ORIGIN OF GOD?
Dear nairalanders, i throw this question to you today
Whats the origin of God?
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by wordtalk(m): 4:39pm On Aug 08, 2011
mabell:

Yesterday a young boy asked a question . .

I'm curious, but what answers were given to him after he asked the question?
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2011
Who created God? It is an age-old question that has plagued all those who like to think about the big questions. Having grown up as an agnostic non-Christian, it provided me with a potential reason why there might not be any god. Various religions tend to solve the problem in different ways. The LDS church (Mormonism) says that the God (Elohim) to whom we are accountable had a father god, then grew up on a planet as a man, and progressed to become a god himself. Many other religions have claimed that gods beget other gods. Of course the problem with this idea is how did the first god get here? This problem of infinite regression invalidates such religions. Christianity claims that God has always existed. Is this idea even possible? Does science address such issues?

Christianity answers the question of who made God in the very first verse of the very first book, Genesis:

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)

This verse tells us that God was acting before time when He created the universe. Many other verses from the New Testament tell us that God was acting before time began, and so, He created time, along with the other dimensions of our universe:

No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. (1 Corinthians 2:7)

This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time (2 Timothy 1:9)

The hope of eternal life, which God, promised before the beginning of time (Titus 1:2)

To the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:25)

The idea that God created time, along with the physical universe, is not just some wacky modern Christian interpretation of the Bible. Justin Martyr, a second century Christian apologist, in his Hortatory Address to the Greeks, said that Plato got the idea that time was created along with the universe from Moses:

"And from what source did Plato draw the information that time was created along with the heavens? For he wrote thus: 'Time, accordingly, was created along with the heavens; in order that, coming into being together, they might also be together dissolved, if ever their dissolution should take place.' Had he not learned this from the divine history of Moses?"1

God exists in timeless eternity
How does God acting before time began get around the problem of God's creation? There are two possible interpretations of these verses. One is that God exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and effect would never apply to His existence.

God exists in multiple dimensions of time
The second interpretation is that God exists in more than one dimension of time. Things that exist in one dimension of time are restricted to time's arrow and are confined to cause and effect. However, two dimensions of time form a plane of time, which has no beginning and no end and is not restricted to any single direction. A being that exists in at least two dimensions of time can travel anywhere in time and yet never had a beginning, since a plane of time has no starting point. Either interpretation leads one to the conclusion that God has no need of having been created.

Why can't the universe be eternal?
The idea that God can be eternal leads us to the idea that maybe the universe is eternal, and, therefore, God doesn't need to exist at all. Actually, this was the prevalent belief of atheists before the observational data of the 20th century strongly refuted the idea that the universe was eternal. This fact presented a big dilemma for atheists, since a non-eternal universe implied that it must have been caused. Maybe Genesis 1:1 was correct! Not to be dismayed by the facts, atheists have invented some metaphysical "science" that attempts to explain away the existence of God. Hence, most atheistic cosmologists believe that we see only the visible part of a much larger "multiverse" that randomly spews out universes with different physical parameters.2 Since there is no evidence supporting this idea (nor can there be, according to the laws of the universe), it is really just a substitute "god" for atheists. And, since this "god" is non-intelligent by definition, it requires a complex hypothesis, which would be ruled out if we use Occam's razor, which states that one should use the simplest logical explanation for any phenomenon. Purposeful intelligent design of the universe makes much more sense, especially based upon what we know about the design of the universe.

What does science say about time?
When Stephen Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose extended the equations for general relativity to include space and time, the results showed that time has a beginning - at the moment of creation (i.e., the Big Bang).3 In fact, if you examine university websites, you will find that many professors make such a claim - that the universe had a beginning and that this beginning marked the beginning of time (see The Universe is Not Eternal, But Had A Beginning). Such assertions support the Bible's claim that time began at the creation of the universe.

Conclusion
God has no need to have been created, since He exists either outside time (where cause and effect do not operate) or within multiple dimensions of time (such that there is no beginning of God's plane of time). Hence God is eternal, having never been created. Although it is possible that the universe itself is eternal, eliminating the need for its creation, observational evidence contradicts this hypothesis, since the universe began to exist a finite ~13.7 billion years ago. The only possible escape for the atheist is the invention of a kind of super universe, which can never be confirmed experimentally (hence it is metaphysical in nature, and not scientific).

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/who_created_god.html

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by LoveKing(m): 5:42pm On Aug 08, 2011
@op

before even knowing 'God', better go back into history and archaelogical evidences of past ages to understand what 'God' is, then you'll know about his creation. But for now, go ask your Pastor,
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Overhaul: 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2011
mabell:

WHATS THE ORIGIN OF GOD?
Whats the origin of God?

grin grin grin

wordtalk, make that two, because am curious too to know what answers were given to him after he asked the question
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2011
What is the ontology of the origin of God's origin? That is another big question, btw. wink
mabell:

WHATS THE ORIGIN OF GOD?
Whats the origin of God?
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:04pm On Aug 08, 2011
Okay. After all that prose, do you mind telling us what the origin of God's origin is? And if you don't know, just say so and quit writing long stories that reveal nothing. grin
frosbel:

Who created God? It is an age-old question that has plagued all those who like to think about the big questions. Having grown up as an agnostic non-Christian, it provided me with a potential reason why there might not be any god. Various religions tend to solve the problem in different ways. The LDS church (Mormonism) says that the God (Elohim) to whom we are accountable had a father god, then grew up on a planet as a man, and progressed to become a god himself. Many other religions have claimed that gods beget other gods. Of course the problem with this idea is how did the first god get here? This problem of infinite regression invalidates such religions. Christianity claims that God has always existed. Is this idea even possible? Does science address such issues?

Christianity answers the question of who made God in the very first verse of the very first book, Genesis:

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)

This verse tells us that God was acting before time when He created the universe. Many other verses from the New Testament tell us that God was acting before time began, and so, He created time, along with the other dimensions of our universe:

No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. (1 Corinthians 2:7)

This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time (2 Timothy 1:9)

The hope of eternal life, which God, promised before the beginning of time (Titus 1:2)

To the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 1:25)

The idea that God created time, along with the physical universe, is not just some wacky modern Christian interpretation of the Bible. Justin Martyr, a second century Christian apologist, in his Hortatory Address to the Greeks, said that Plato got the idea that time was created along with the universe from Moses:

"And from what source did Plato draw the information that time was created along with the heavens? For he wrote thus: 'Time, accordingly, was created along with the heavens; in order that, coming into being together, they might also be together dissolved, if ever their dissolution should take place.' Had he not learned this from the divine history of Moses?"1

God exists in timeless eternity
How does God acting before time began get around the problem of God's creation? There are two possible interpretations of these verses. One is that God exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and effect would never apply to His existence.

God exists in multiple dimensions of time
The second interpretation is that God exists in more than one dimension of time. Things that exist in one dimension of time are restricted to time's arrow and are confined to cause and effect. However, two dimensions of time form a plane of time, which has no beginning and no end and is not restricted to any single direction. A being that exists in at least two dimensions of time can travel anywhere in time and yet never had a beginning, since a plane of time has no starting point. Either interpretation leads one to the conclusion that God has no need of having been created.

Why can't the universe be eternal?
The idea that God can be eternal leads us to the idea that maybe the universe is eternal, and, therefore, God doesn't need to exist at all. Actually, this was the prevalent belief of atheists before the observational data of the 20th century strongly refuted the idea that the universe was eternal. This fact presented a big dilemma for atheists, since a non-eternal universe implied that it must have been caused. Maybe Genesis 1:1 was correct! Not to be dismayed by the facts, atheists have invented some metaphysical "science" that attempts to explain away the existence of God. Hence, most atheistic cosmologists believe that we see only the visible part of a much larger "multiverse" that randomly spews out universes with different physical parameters.2 Since there is no evidence supporting this idea (nor can there be, according to the laws of the universe), it is really just a substitute "god" for atheists. And, since this "god" is non-intelligent by definition, it requires a complex hypothesis, which would be ruled out if we use Occam's razor, which states that one should use the simplest logical explanation for any phenomenon. Purposeful intelligent design of the universe makes much more sense, especially based upon what we know about the design of the universe.

What does science say about time?
When Stephen Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose extended the equations for general relativity to include space and time, the results showed that time has a beginning - at the moment of creation (i.e., the Big slam).3 In fact, if you examine university websites, you will find that many professors make such a claim - that the universe had a beginning and that this beginning marked the beginning of time (see The Universe is Not Eternal, But Had A Beginning). Such assertions support the Bible's claim that time began at the creation of the universe.

Conclusion
God has no need to have been created, since He exists either outside time (where cause and effect do not operate) or within multiple dimensions of time (such that there is no beginning of God's plane of time). Hence God is eternal, having never been created. Although it is possible that the universe itself is eternal, eliminating the need for its creation, observational evidence contradicts this hypothesis, since the universe began to exist a finite ~13.7 billion years ago. The only possible escape for the atheist is the invention of a kind of super universe, which can never be confirmed experimentally (hence it is metaphysical in nature, and not scientific).

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/who_created_god.html
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Joagbaje(m): 10:06pm On Aug 08, 2011
@Mabel
God existed in timelessness, time was only created for man. So there is no beginning with God. Beginning is a language of time. At the close of the age ,we will all enter Gods realm of timelessness. No more day or nights.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by mabell: 10:29pm On Aug 08, 2011
hmmm, true talk
any other contributions plssss?
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by newmi(m): 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2011
The very idea of God in simple transcription portrails
@ a self-existing one needing no aids or support.
John 5:26
"For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself"
@ one that pre-existed the begin thus having no begin or end that is dateless past and dateless future
Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"
@ He is the CREATOR
Hebrews 11:3
"Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear"
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by newmi(m): 11:12pm On Aug 08, 2011
But another important point is the fact that the inspiration of the bible doesnt seem to suggest to us that God had or has anything of the similitude or semblance of an origin. All secret things belongs to God we would suffice our selves with the ones that has been revealed
Deuteronomy 29:29
29 The secret[ things belong] unto the Lord our God: but those[ things which are] revealed[ belong] unto us and to our children for ever, that[ we] may do all the words of this law.
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 08, 2011
>>>>
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Azibalua(f): 11:28pm On Aug 08, 2011
Jenwitemi:

What is the ontology of the origin of God's origin? That is another big question, btw. wink
If God was created by another,he ceases to be God,because he was not created for he is the creator,the self existing one.
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by mabell: 12:03am On Aug 09, 2011
thank you azibalua
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2011
But this is insufficient argument. A created can also be a creator, who in turn can be referred to as "God" by what he/she/they/it has created. Just because we humans were created has never stopped us from creating something ourselves, which also makes us Gods in the eyes of what we create. So, back to my original question. . .
Azibalua:

If God was created by another,he ceases to be God,because he was not created for he is the creator,the self existing one.
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by mabell: 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2011
God is the self existing One
He has no beginning nor an end
He existed by Himself
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Overhaul: 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
mabell:

He existed by Himself

He has no beginning nor an end. Really? Do you want to rewind, scratch that and then say it differently.
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
But you say God is a "HE", right? That masculine pronoun puts a beginning and an end to God, my friend.
mabell:

He existed by Himself

Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by God2man(m): 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2011
God is God. Your brain is limited to understand all the mystery of God. Moses asked a question in Exodus 3:14-15 " And moses said unto God, Behold, when i come unto the childen of isreal, and shall say unto them, The God of your father hath sent me unto you, and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall say unto them? And God said unto moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you." GOD IS THE GREAT I AM. God was, God is, and God will be forever.There is more to this explanation, time and space may not permit me. Just know that GOD IS GOD. God bless you. God2man. id, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you." GOD IS THE GREAT I AM. God was, God is, and God will be forever.There is more to this explanation, time and space may not permit me. Just know that GOD IS GOD. God bless you. God2man.
Re: What Is The Origin Of God? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
Okay. So what is the origin of the bible god, then?
God2man:

God is God. Your brain is limited to understand all the mystery of God. Moses asked a question in Exodus 3:14-15 " And moses said unto God, Behold, when i come unto the childen of isreal, and shall say unto them, The God of your father hath sent me unto you, and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall say unto them? And God said unto moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you." GOD IS THE GREAT I AM. God was, God is, and God will be forever.There is more to this explanation, time and space may not permit me. Just know that GOD IS GOD. God bless you. God2man. id, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of isreal, I AM hath sent me unto you." GOD IS THE GREAT I AM. God was, God is, and God will be forever.There is more to this explanation, time and space may not permit me. Just know that GOD IS GOD. God bless you. God2man.

(1) (Reply)

Please Interpret This Dream / What Happened To Lagosshia ? / Pastor Chris Ojigbani's Famous Phrase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.