Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria (21333 Views)

RE: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria? / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by GerogeI(m): 12:02am On Aug 30, 2022
selmansee:

wow
I sincerely appreciate your contribution

in summary the course is equally important as the university

but may I ask..

what would you rather advice someone to choose..because the reality is every one can not studying the most respected courses same way everyone can not study in the most respected school like UNILAG and UI.. I have seen this as the reality from previous jamb student who got fustrated over the fact that they want to study in UI or UNILAG but ended up in polythenics

may I ask.. which of these options do you think is better

going to UNILAG to study let say Physics education or any low course that was given to me after applying elect elect
OR
going to an average university like Nasarawa state university or kaduna state university to study medicine or elect elect..

to shorten it ..is it course over school or school over course

because the reality is ...for my self trying to get into top schools to study top courses will be nearly impossible as I might not meet up with the strict requirements..I am being realistic.
Neither.
Apart from a few schools whose Alumini, love doing kporakpo when in charge of recruitment. The school is not that important. Statistically a few will secure the best jobs either by performance or by connection. A smart person will invest in one.

However, all over the world. Engineering success is not based on salaries. Engineers earn huge rewards as innovators or inventors. There are solutions you craft, so rewarding that you leave those highly covetted jobs and start being an entrepreneur. Not all those lame business. Engineering entrepreneur is such that nobody can easily copy your product. But how do your get here. By carefully crafting your way to gain the industrial experience in the area you are interested in. Thats what salaries are for, experience. Around PH there many companies spun off by engineers from their oil and gas experience. Oil Serve (Emeka Okwuosa), for example, came in to bridge skill and knowledge gap in pipeline contruction at a time when such service company was not locally existing. The oil majors were so happy to have them they did not even mind their initial poor performance. Uche Dimiri, took his experience with Schlumbeger to build a local oil Drilling Company Depthwiz. There are many others. The point is, to be a successful Engineer, in a barren environment, you must be inspired. Its a 10- 20 year journey from leavng University to getting your field experience and mapping out a clear bearing for your self. Only those self confident people who know and understand their true capacities can accomplish the success.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Pilet: 5:54am On Aug 30, 2022
dprsauce:
worse mistake you will make is to study computer engineering or electronic engineering in nigeria and remain here. Na cyber Cafe or solar installation you go they do
cyber Cafe or solar installation in Nigeria is big money bro, what substance are you on?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Sambaby7640: 3:40pm On Aug 30, 2022
franchasofficia:
Lol
what's funny? undecided
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Abeos(m): 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2022
First, I think you're confusing an engineer with technician.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Max247: 7:14pm On Aug 30, 2022
selmansee:

Please can you list out the necessary software you think every engineer should know in order to stand out especially elect elect engineers

There are many of them, but base on my personal experience I will recommend:
Autocad MEP
Revit MEP
PVSyst
Dialux
Microsoft Excel (it's used for many things e.g BEME, BOQ, estimations etc).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Microwhy: 11:44pm On Aug 30, 2022
othermen:
Don’t make costly assumptions based on what you may find in your immediate environment. Many of those people are products of a dysfunctional mindset or of a mindset compelled by the tragic realities of Nigeria.
Please did you study Engineering?
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Emandex(m): 4:25pm On Aug 31, 2022
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]
What I have to contribute is engineering isn't a scam, Just know what you doing and do it better, I study marine engineering and naval architecture, and am not the first in my family to study that in my family my snr brother did likewise my cousins and 2 of my mum brother, marine is wide and lot of opportunities either from onshore or offshore, not only in marine though it so in all the field, just take your books Seriously, try by every means to get real life experience ( it helped me alot, I attached to one company that specialized on maintenance of diesel engines on ship during my industrial training and went back the while waiting for service, the experience help too), and also learned some soft skills in your field, in my field we av the delft ship, sta ccm, hanses, autocad, solidworks that the few I worked on, and don't forget to build good connection everyone is useful in this race, do this and know Peace ✌️ ✌️ ✌️
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Downey(f): 6:37pm On Aug 31, 2022
selmansee:
I have become skeptical about Engineering in Nigeria

Ever since I was in secondary school, All my teachers who taught me science and mathematics are grduates of engineering, my futher math, physics, Agric ,math and chemistry teachers all had degrees ( B.Sc./B.Eng.) in Engineering. Some studied Agric engineering, civil I can still remember one who studied electrical. From FUNAAB

This got me thinking why do they end up like this, Are there no job market for graduate engineers anymore.
Mind you, I live in a highly industrialized area, where I stay, PZ Cussons, African Steel, Kimberly Clack, Dangote Flour, GB foods e.t.c all have their major facotories here..trust me there are many more but these are the highly ranked onced whom I believe many of you might be familiar with.

But when I interact with many of their engineers who work in these factories and live close to my house, I have never see any one of them who are graduates..not a single one..but they work as in engineers in these huge factories especially PZ cussons, African steel and GB foods.. they are not educated
The educated engineers with degrees, I mostly see them in private schools like mine and they earned nothing more than 28,000. They may be be extra from home teaching and the likes

While I was in SS 1, My geography teacher although didn’t study engineering but material science from FUTO (one of my dream school) and he was my teacher in his early 30s earning less than 30k..
The man who tutored me for my WAEC studied Mech.eng from UNIBEN. another tutor whom I wasn’t so close to but I got to know from colleagues that he also studied Mech.eng from Yabatech.
I know a friend whose father is a university dropout but works in Promasidor at Oshodi, they make Cowbell milk and Onga (I think).. and the father is an engineer there..I am confused, How?

I have passion for engineering but I don’t want to foolishly think that my case might be different.
Nairalanders who know a thing or two about the realities engineering in Nigeria
Please, what extra things do engineering students need to learn to ensure after graduation they are able to practice in their field or work in major manufacturing firms like I aspire.

I want to study Mechanical engineering or elect elect. I am still confused..Please I’ll really appreciate if y’all can help

if you don't want to teach, you need to have ND and move to industry then gradually you process your way and become engineer that you want to be. In that way you have two options either to teach or to remain in industries. Company don't like hire B. ENG because they believe ego won't allow them to learn.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Karlifate: 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2022
eminemkayc:
Hello,

On the contrary, there are extreme and enormous potentials for engineers generally in this country and civil engineers, in specific. As a practicing structural engineer in close to two decades with extreme competence in finite difference methods of analysis, finite element methods, application of laplace transformation to the analysis and design of dynamic equipment structures/foundations, etcetera I can confidently inform you that in a developing society like ours and elsewhere abroad, there's a huge demand for structural engineers (for e.g) in industries such as the oil and gas, power plant, telecommunications, etc. These are people who design lattice tower structures, monopole structures, girder bridges, high rise building structures, fixed jacket offshore structures, pile foundations, combined footings, raft foundation, floating and fixed jetties etc. However, to fit in, you must be quite COMPETENT in engineering analysis and design (note that those persons you mentioned in factories are technicians and NOT engineers), both manually, with the use of SELF-CREATED intelligent spreadsheets and with the use of INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTABLE computer aided design applications such as STAADPro, SAP2000, SACS and ETAB (not ORION) together with detailing applications such as AUTOCAD, PDMS, E3D.

Additionally, you should be competent in internationally acceptable codes of practice such as the Eurocodes (EC0-9), AISC, API, DNV, and relevant yet-to-be-wiithdrawn BS codes. The problem(s) with the Nigerian universities is that you are taught the solution of homogeneous/non-homogeneous second order differential equations either by classical methods or special operator methods without being taught its largely used applications in engineering design such as its application is structural free damped vibration of rigid bodies, forced-damped vibration via externally applied forcing functions, application in the description of ground acceleration due to seismic motions, its application in the theory of thin plates and shells like analysis of thin-walled pressurized vessels, fracture mechanics failure theories like huber-hencky-von-misces theroy, etc

Engineering is applied mathematics, is sweet and once you do not know its application and cannot deploy the right tools in engineering design, you would obviously be found floating either in Nigeria or elsewhere in the world.

Finally note that the world is in deep demand of those who study and are COMPETENT in STEM-related courses and the 'E' in STEM is obviously Engineering.

Gbam! @ bolded kiss

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Karlifate: 8:32pm On Sep 01, 2022
CyberHustle:
Engineering is now very theoretical in Nigeria and needs to be restructured. If the graduates cannot afford to buy the tools needed to advance beyond the first degree theories, commonsense dictates they back out.

Exactly �
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Karlifate: 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2022
motta:
Oga you don't just study engineering and come out with the cert alone you need to know other aspect of that particular engineering like the software aspect , each engineering course has so many software you can learn that aids you. Get to know them and you will be at the top of your mates .

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Karlifate: 8:39pm On Sep 01, 2022
quentin06:
There are successful Engineers in Nigeria, they didn't end up teaching physics in secondary schools or studying to pass ICAN.

Career counseling is key, Engineering is very practical, you can learn everything in school, you must be willing to learn more after graduation.

Look for good Engineering companies to learn the ropes, even if you have to be an apprentice.

The problem with many of our Engineering graduates is that they like wearing suites, and love the desk.

They think they're bankers.

The person who taught me physics in secondary school ( a civil engineer) ended up studying for ICAN.
He was based in Abj then, If he had stayed in PH he would have been a real Engineer.

LMAO! grin grin grin
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Karlifate: 8:56pm On Sep 01, 2022
Pharaohny:
Many still haven't been able differentiate between An Engineer , A Technologist and a Technician .

LMAO!

So much hullabaloo of definitions. grin cheesy
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by siAdor: 11:58am On Sep 02, 2022
dirtydaya:

I agree with you. I studied electrical electronics engineering, never worked worked as one .

So far worked as

Network/ security engineer
android developer .

How did you go about it, I studied civil engineering H.N.D, and hasn't gotten a job, all am seeing is internship,which can't even fund my living, now working for a loan app.

What is the way forward.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by dirtydaya(m): 1:24pm On Sep 02, 2022
siAdor:

How did you go about it, I studied civil engineering H.N.D, and hasn't gotten a job, all am seeing is internship,which can't even fund my living, now working for a loan app.

What is the way forward.

Bro, my advice is never give up. Keep pushing .

If you are really interested in IT, just pick one area and start learning. Discipline yourself

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2022
selmansee:

Thank you so much
I really appreciate

Not necessary, just work on it. Won't be easy, but nothing worth having is easy
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by semitunde: 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2022
Urgent Vacancy!!!

1. MEP Mechanical Engineer with 10+ years experience.

2. MEP Mechanical Design Engineer with 3+ years experience.

3. MEP Electrical Design Engineer with 3+ years experience.

4. HVAC Sales Engineer with 3+ years experience.

You must please possess the ability to design with the REVIT software in addition to AutoCAD MEP.

P.S. Knowledge of Revit MEP is a must, please.

Resumes should be uploaded HERE.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Debangis20(m): 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2022
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Things You Should Consider Doing While Waiting For That Dream Job / 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer / Share Your Experience With Female Bosses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.