Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,789 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? (11098 Views)

Concerned Shareholders Sue CBN, Etc For Bank Phb's Nationalisation / Btw Zenith And Bank Phb Which Should I Buy Shares / Contact Me For Bank Phb Shares, Its Out Last (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by superior1: 1:41pm On Aug 09, 2011
@Ashiri1, you are a serious olodo. Alfa burnt u dey ask of him bear-bear. BankPHB (and her fancy adverts) is no more, your investment in it is no more. The new company is not a result of acquisition or merger, it is fully and wholly owned by the FG. Se eti dun e ni?
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2011
blank:

U guys don't seem to understand. The bridge bank is a 3 yr project at the end of which they either get a buyer or they liquidate the bank. U guys are still talking of All States etc that were taken over by other banks and not govt. When a government nationalises anything, have you ever heard of them paying shareholders? Please, read up on Economics or just google "what does nationalisation mean". This is a form of nationalization called expropriation.

No hope.
I don die grin grin grin grin
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by fm7070: 2:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
Shareholders won't lose their money. as well as account holders.
It may take time, but they will still get their monies back.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by infofta(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
Finance minister only guaranteed deposits of customers and the banks staff.
My understanding, if a company liquidates all shareholders loose their shares.
Remember those banks has Capilization fee of N25 billion with CBN. Since car will run on water one day, maybe your share will run to billions of naira as well.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by ENZOSCIFO1: 2:39pm On Aug 09, 2011
Funny they are so many ignorant ppe around. PHB AFRIBANK and SPRING no longer exist as corporate entities they all 've been taken over ( better still bought ovr by FG thru the funds CBN injjected into them about two years ago) so shareholders fund completely eroded andas such shares are worthless not even in a billion years,
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by dearie(m): 2:46pm On Aug 09, 2011
@ OP

I really understand how you are feeling, but the truth is, they are worth no more than the paper they are. They are shares of non existing entities, so u can figure it out.

In plain simple terms, me thinks they are gone. Sorry for the loss.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by blank(f): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2011
blink182:

I don die grin grin grin grin

You again? angry
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Sike(m): 3:10pm On Aug 09, 2011
Its in safe hand. . Dont worry yourself
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 09, 2011
blank:

You again?  angry
My love, did you miss me? I'm here for you now grin [size=2pt]Please lets not derail this beautiful thread[/size]  kiss
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Owoinukolo(m): 4:48pm On Aug 09, 2011
hmmmmmmm!

cool grin You share value was -ve and some1 rescued them, borrowed fund. The borrowed fund went down the drain and FG did a RAMBO move to save depositor and savings of well meaning 9ijas. Please don't make the depositors come after you o.

where you ever a part of the shareholders in the first place. How many AGM you attend or when they (old mgt of Dead banks were choping and declearing dividen to shareholder upon zero, you shout?) ?

Oga, count your lose and move on. If you get shares for other bank, same fate may befall them, so, learn quick and be wise,
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Owoinukolo(m): 4:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
hmmmmmmm! shocked

Your share value was -ve and some1 rescued them, borrowed fund. The borrowed fund went down the drain and FG did a RAMBO move to save depositor and savings of well meaning 9ijas. Please don't make the depositors come after you o.

Were you ever a part of the shareholders in the first place. How many AGM you attend or when they (old mgt of the Dead banks) were choping and declearing dividen to shareholder upon zero, you shout

Oga, count your lose and move on. If you get shares for other banks, same fate may befall them, so, learn quick and be wise,
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by obiflex: 5:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
as a lawyer i think what the govt has done is wrong and without any basis in nigerian law.
Yes the cbn has power to revoke banking licences but the company that previously owned the licence does not cease to exist until it is liquidated.

Now, the assets of bank phb still belong to the company. The govt cannot assume ownership of those assets just like that. The NASS MUST PASS A LAW EMPOWERING govt to nationalise the assets of the company. In the absence of this the govt must buy up the companies b4 taking ownership. I expect the shareholders to go to court and i foresee a verdict similar to that of savannah bank. This case is also similar to the Sanusi bailout mess in which the cbn gave out a whopping #600billion without appropriation. It was illegal but he escaped because this is nigeria. In any law abiding nation he should be in jail. Only in nigeria do ppl run a nation without lawshould be in jail. Only in nigeria do ppl run a nation without laws
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Owoinukolo(m): 6:10pm On Aug 09, 2011
lawyer! sidon der!! cool molue don leave u teytey, undecided
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Reference(m): 6:21pm On Aug 09, 2011
If you have share certificates they are of huge value to me. You see I'm starting a collection of certificates of defunct companies especially banks which I hope to pawn for massive cash in fifty years or pass them down to my children as everlasting reminders. 'Bosco my son I sent you to school cos you don't know how to trade your shares'.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by dfanthom(m): 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2011
hey,

the shares are gone, better still gone foreva!
now, just assume you never had those shares in the first place & secondly, try & forget they ever existed.
those banks do not exist anymore!! sadd but very true!!!

o hail 9ja!
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by klas(m): 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2011
obiflex:

as a lawyer i think what the govt has done is wrong and without any basis in nigerian law.
Yes the cbn has power to revoke banking licences but the company that previously owned the licence does not cease to exist until it is liquidated.

Now, the assets of bank phb still belong to the company. The govt cannot assume ownership of those assets just like that. The NASS MUST PASS A  LAW EMPOWERING govt to nationalise the assets of the company. In the absence of this the govt must buy up the companies b4 taking ownership. I expect the shareholders to go to court and i foresee a verdict similar to that of savannah bank. This case is also similar to the Sanusi bailout mess in which the cbn gave out a whopping #600billion without appropriation. It was illegal but he escaped because this is nigeria. In any law abiding nation he should be in jail. Only in nigeria do ppl run a nation without lawshould be in jail. Only in nigeria do ppl run a nation without laws

Verdict according to Justice klas

Lawyer, the N3 were acquired by ndic on friday for which ndic paid one naira each. This is covered by the ndic act
It then set up the bridge banks the same day and sold them off to amcon on saturday
amcon paid N679b on sunday by bonds thus amcon became their shareholders.
Effective saturday, those new banks are no longer bridge banks but full fledged banks.
Bridge banks arrangement lasted for less than 24 hours.

Amcon as the full fledged owner has the right to determine if and when it wants to sell to other investors to exit the holdings

Objection overuled.

Cooooooourt!!!!!!
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by totorimi: 9:05pm On Aug 09, 2011
Simply put we cant trust Jonathan's government and her ministers so if they tell you to sit down. You berra ben johnson onetime. How did setember 30 turn to August 5 and by Monday new signboards all over. Are we there my people
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Pageup1(m): 11:53am On Aug 10, 2011
wao, na so my shares just went cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

@justice klas . . .my lord, I appeal in supreme coourt . . .let them tamper justice wit mercy cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by blank(f): 12:12pm On Aug 10, 2011
Page-up:

wao, na so my shares just went cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

@justice klas . . .my lord, I appeal in supreme coourt . . .let them tamper temper justice wit mercy cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by docjuli(m): 2:20pm On Aug 10, 2011
Your shares are gone. Going to court will not even bring them back.
Chike-Obi (AMCON Boss) made this clear this afternoon on Channels TV.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by docjuli(m): 2:25pm On Aug 10, 2011
Your shares are gone. Going to court will not even bring them back.
Chike-Obi (AMCON Boss) made this clear this afternoon on Channels TV.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
Business hazard, people pick the pieces of your lives and move on. It shouldn't be in pieces in the first place.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by obiflex: 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2011
klas:

Verdict according to Justice klas

Lawyer, the N3 were acquired by ndic on friday for which ndic paid one naira each. This is covered by the ndic act
It then set up the bridge banks the same day and sold them off to amcon on saturday
amcon paid N679b on sunday by bonds thus amcon became their shareholders.
Effective saturday, those new banks are no longer bridge banks but full fledged banks.
Bridge banks arrangement lasted for less than 24 hours.

Amcon as the full fledged owner has the right to determine if and when it wants to sell to other investors to exit the holdings

Ok klas,

when i made the comments i had not heard of the sale for 1Naira. lol @ the way ur assuming the poition of a judge. i wouldn,t rush to judgement on such issues because we don,t know the entire facts. i suggest you don,t conclude as well. if the shareholders brief their lawyer with the complete facts am sure he would be able to come up with a good remedy as i believe there are many loose ends in this matter. NDIC Act empowers the commission to liquidate and settle all libities not to sell the banks at N1. in any sale there must be independent valution. the shareholders will likely fight for and get justice. remember this is not a govt company that can be sold for a pittance. people built those banks!

Cooooooourt!!!!!!
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by obiflex: 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2011
@ Klas

i have this poser for you; in company law, what is the position of existing shareholders in a company when a n investor has acquired majority shareholding in their company? do they lose their shareholding automatically??

remember from the facts you just supplied me here, the N3 were not liquidated but sold as exiting companies.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by infofta(m): 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2011
Take heart, at least shareholders are entitled to company's properties like computers, Aircondition, generators, tables and chairs etc. Sell them to recover your money. Gamble well next time. Lol.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 11, 2011
info.fta:

Take heart, at least shareholders are entitled to company's properties like computers, Aircondition, generators, tables and chairs etc. Sell them to recover your money. Gamble well next time. Lol.
unfortunately, the new entities created are using the assets of the company to operate as usual.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by omaojo1: 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2011
info.fta:

NO without fear of contradiction

The N3's assets and even the other r8's assets were not enough to match their liabilities hence the negetive reserves.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
omaojo1:

NO without fear of contradiction

The N3's assets and even the other r8's assets were not enough to match their liabilities hence the negetive reserves.
How were they able to run their business into the rocks like that, Please I'll appreciate an explanation
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by blank(f): 1:03pm On Aug 11, 2011
Deleted
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by omaojo1: 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2011
blink182:

How were they able to run their business into the rocks like that, Please I'll appreciate an explanation
It was the cbn,s first audit (under sanusi) that exposed the grave rots in these banks.

How did they get there:

-they played in the stock market with depositors money. This is their main source of woe. The capital market b4 early 2008 was a money spinning venture and they veered into buying and selling of shares. The shares they bought lost value in the wake of the market turmoil that buffeted the nign cap mkt. you can imagine an access bank shares selling for like 25 naira and later dropping to say 10 naira (figures not confirmed). Those that were not badly affected were those that sold their invs b4 share prices went south.

-Another related reason is the loss they suffered thru margin loans. They gave loans to stockbrocking firms that also suffered the same fate xplained above and were unable to repay back. AMCON's due deligence revealed that the margin loan portfolio was over 4 trillion naira. imagine what a 75% provision will do to the P&l statement of the 24 banks. You remember peter ololo of camry securities that owed 120 bil naira to like 5 of the rescued banks?

-Financial engineering on the part of mgt and aided by their auditors

-engaging in risky oil biz finance that the profits go to mgt and losses, the biz.

-reckless granting of loans to personal bizs and non existent ones. In some cases, u will not even see the file. A 3 bil loan that goes bad = > 3 bil naira loss on the p$l. this is because of the accrued interest.

The whole thing can be summarised thus: 'reckless credit admin and bad corporate governance.
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2011
omaojo1:

It was the cbn,s first audit (under sanusi) that exposed the grave rots in these banks.

How did they get there:

-they played in the stock market with depositors money. This is their main source of woe. The capital market b4 early 2008 was a money spinning venture and they veered into buying and selling of shares. The shares they bought lost value in the wake of the market turmoil that buffeted the nign cap mkt. you can imagine an access bank shares selling for like 25 naira and later dropping to say 10 naira (figures not confirmed). Those that were not badly affected were those that sold their invs b4 share prices went south.

-Another related reason is the loss they suffered thru margin loans. They gave loans to stockbrocking firms that also suffered the same fate xplained above and were unable to repay back. AMCON's due deligence revealed that the margin loan portfolio was over 4 trillion naira. imagine what a 75% provision will do to the P&l statement of the 24 banks. You remember peter ololo of camry securities that owed 120 bil naira to like 5 of the rescued banks?

-Financial engineering on the part of mgt and aided by their auditors

-engaging in risky oil biz finance that the profits go to mgt and losses, the biz.

-reckless granting of loans to personal bizs and non existent ones. In some cases, u will not even see the file. A 3 bil loan that goes bad = > 3 bil naira loss on the p$l. this is because of the accrued interest.

The whole thing can be summarised thus: 'reckless credit admin and bad corporate governance.
Wow, this is great financial insight. Please tell me more of Mr. Peter, never heard of him
Re: What Happens To My Bank Phb Shares? by blank(f): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2011
blink182:

Wow, this is great financial insight. Please tell me more of Mr. Peter, never heard of him

Google his name or just search NLand.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-326159.0.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Commonwealth Trust Early Bird Plan;take Action Now! / LeedFarms / Shareholders Hail Gtbank’s Performance, Approve Dividend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.