Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans (12450 Views)

2023 Guber: Enugu Diasporans Back Zoning, Wants Ticket Zoned To Enugu East / Mr Peter Obi: Much Ado About Nothing / Much Ado About G7 Invitation - By Naptu2. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Obinoscopy(m): 1:02am On Sep 05, 2022
So what's currently trending in the political sphere is the diasporan funding for Peter Obi and it being against the electoral act (section 85, subsection a and b).

Prior to now, it has never been an issue as Nigerian politicians source their funds majorly from other means. Some through illegal diversion of State funds while others through funding from the oligarchs and super wealthy who have vested interests in the government. The money politicians get from Nigerians in the diapora has been very meagre. Perhaps that explains why it never trended in the past. But with the emergence of Peter Obi, the story has changed as it would seem the Diasporans are ready to bankroll the Peter Obi campaign immensely.

Now the issue is that the electoral act is against funding political parties from abroad. So what that means is that the Labor Party are not meant to collect any money from anyone abroad. Any money collected will be forfeited and the party fined. Now what is the Labor Party's plan in regards ensuring they don't break this law.

I just watched the interview Prof Pat Utomi granted to Seun of Channels TV and I was surprised at Prof's response to this law. He was literally calling that law bluff. Based on his response, it would seem the plan of the Labor Party is to go ahead and collect monies from abroad and use it to fund their campaigns. That is very dangerous.

I must state it here that I share Prof Utomi's sentiment in regards to the funding as a way Nigerians can take back their country. I also agree that the law is a clog in the wheel of Nigerians in the diaspora who want to take back their country from the rich corrupt politicians. But I don't think it's wise to call the law bluff. This is because the law has constitutional backing. Section 225 (3) (a) and (b) of the constitution was very clear about funding from abroad. Going against the constitution is wrong as the courts will never support you.

So my advice to the Labor Party is that they assemble their legal team to study the law and seek for ways to raise funds without contravening the law. Perhaps one way, would be for an NGO or body that has no financial ties with the Labor Party be the one to champion the collection and disbursement of these Diasporan funds.

Now let's even look at the law and the purpose/intent of it. I think the reason behind the law is noble.....to prevent foreign influence on our country. A sovereign country can only remain sovereign if they are not influenced by any foreign country. I 100% agree with that. But I think that law was coined wrongly. Nigerians in diapora are not "foreigners". They are Nigerians. So even though they are abroad, they should be able to be contribute towards the growth of their country in every way possible. The law should be tweeked to prevent donations from foreigners/foreign countries and not prevent donations from Nigerian in diaspora.

Will the Labor Party call the law bluff? Will the constitution be amended? Will the Labor Party look for other ways to raise funds? Let's see how events unfold.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Ofodirinwa: 2:13am On Sep 05, 2022
They will use that to discredit results if need be. That can crowdfunding from Nigerians, which is also illegal

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by DWickedLandLord: 2:18am On Sep 05, 2022
Rubbish mixed with nonsense

If you like disqualify Obi himself

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Penguin2: 2:25am On Sep 05, 2022
If I were to speak to any of Peter Obi handlers directly, I’d advise them not to grandstand on anything right now.

APC and PDP boys are looking for any little excuse they can get to rush to court and get Peter Obi disqualified.

They must thread very very carefully.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by chloedogie(m): 2:54am On Sep 05, 2022
The thing about your suggestion as regards amending the law to see Nigerians in diaspora as citizens and be able to fund is that foreign bodies who have interests in the leadership of the country can use individuals to launder money into influencing the election. What could be done is alloowing Nigerians in diaspora to contribute with a capped limited amount to individuals. Take for example for those in the UK, say £5 and those in America say $7 etc.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by YeyeGbami: 3:06am On Sep 05, 2022
Make una send the donations to me , i go deliver.
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by BurialGround: 3:08am On Sep 05, 2022
WHT is your evidence against Obi.

When APC and buhari was busy collecting foreign donations you didn't see it.

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by beelon1020(m): 3:09am On Sep 05, 2022
The law is the king of the land... you break it.. you face it’s wrath...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Obinoscopy(m): 3:10am On Sep 05, 2022
chloedogie:
The thing about your suggestion as regards amending the law to see Nigerians in diaspora as citizens and be able to fund is that foreign bodies who have interests in the leadership of the country can use individuals to launder money into influencing the election. What could be done is alloowing Nigerians in diaspora to contribute with a capped limited amount to individuals. Take for example for those in the UK, say £5 and those in America say $7 etc.
I 100% agree with you but I think individual contributions within Nigeria should also be capped as money laundering can also take place within Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by YourhealthNG2(m): 3:47am On Sep 05, 2022
Penguin2:
If I were to speak to any of Peter Obi handlers directly, I’d advise them not to grandstand on anything right now.

APC and PDP boys are looking for any little excuse they can get to rush to court and get Peter Obi disqualified.

They must thread very very carefully.
Peter Obi can never be disqualified. Except some people wants Nigeria to burn.. Never in the history of Nigeria has any major Presidential candidate been disqualified from contesting an election. It has never happened and can never happen.

Anyway, the law says "any political party...."

Peter Obi and his team will find creative ways around the law and still achieve the same result.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by AdolfHitlerxXx: 4:06am On Sep 05, 2022
angry

Loved Obinoscopys piece on Tinubu... was an impartial take.

Let's read this one..

Modified: balanced and unbiased.

I personally feel Obi wants to cash out on the gullible zombidients.

That's why someone who wants to be a President and Law Enforcer will blatantly want to break the law to line his pockets .

Ole, Barawo banza. Thief!

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by DevilSignature: 4:08am On Sep 05, 2022
cheesy
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by GloriousGbola: 4:10am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
So what's currently trending in the political sphere is the diaporan funding for Peter Obi and it being against the electoral act (section 85, subsection a and b).

Now let's even look at the law and the purpose/intent of it. I think the reason behind the law is noble.....to prevent foreign influence on our country. A sovereign country can only remain sovereign if they are not influenced by any foreign country. I 100% agree with that. But I think that law was coined wrongly. Nigerians in diapora are not "foreigners". They are Nigerians. So even though they are abroad, they should be able to be contribute towards the growth of their country in every way possible. The law should be tweeked to prevent donations from foreigners/foreign countries and not prevent donations from Nigerian in diaspora.

so if nigerians based in Saudi Arabia, Dubai or iran suddenly contributed millions of dollars to APC or PDP, you would not see the issue? you would not say it was a plot to islamize nigeria?

if nigerians in China suddenly started pumping money into the election - you would not see it as a plot by China to influence the election?

how do you know those contributors are not proxies for foreign governments?

all Peter obi is doing is setting a very dangerous precedent. and rest assured, foreign governments are watching

i am sure you are following trumps scandal where he may have been trying to give away nuclear secrets to the Saudis

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by kristisking(m): 4:11am On Sep 05, 2022
And someone will be there shouting Obi/Datti here and there. Please what makes this duo better than the rest of the politicians. Were they not part of the people that put this country in this mess? They have tasted power under PDP, APC, APGA. Did they do any magic? I need to know? Why all this noise here and there.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Obinoscopy(m): 4:11am On Sep 05, 2022
BurialGround:
WHT is your evidence that against Obi.

When APC and buhari was busy collecting foreign donations you didn't see it.
If you read my post you'll see I did say political parties collected monies from Nigerians in the diaspora in the past. But the money wasn't tangible, perhaps that explains why it didn't raise much dust then. Two wrongs does not make a right. If someone sues the Labor Party, using the excuse that APC and PDP did it in the past will not exonerate the LP. So I am just advising the LP to be wise in their financial dealings.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Wintertime: 4:16am On Sep 05, 2022
H
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Wintertime: 4:20am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
If you read my post you'll see I did say political parties collected monies from Nigerians in the diaspora in the past. But the money wasn't tangible, perhaps that explains why it didn't raise much dust then. Two wrongs does not make a right. If someone sues the Labor Party, using the excuse that APC and PDP did it in the past will not exonerate the LP. So I am just advising the LP to be wise in their financial dealings.

Let them disqualify Obi and see the impact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Donmonday1994(m): 4:20am On Sep 05, 2022
Why is APC now worrying about the party they claimed was structureless... Obi abeg pepper Dem ooo..

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by donaldking100: 4:20am On Sep 05, 2022
AdolfHitlerxXx:
angry

Let's read this one..

That's why someone who wants to be a President and Law Enforcer will blatantly want to break the law to line his pockets .

Are you proud of the stupidity you are displaying here just for cheap likes?

48 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by OkCornel(m): 4:20am On Sep 05, 2022
AdolfHitlerxXx:
angry

Let's read this one..

It’s safe to say APC cashed out on gullible Nigerians in 2014 too…

Same APC is crying out now. Isn’t the double standards amazing? smiley

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Born2Breed(f): 4:25am On Sep 05, 2022
grin
Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Obinoscopy(m): 4:25am On Sep 05, 2022
GloriousGbola:

so if nigerians based in Saudi Arabia, Dubai or iran suddenly contributed millions of dollars to APC or PDP, you would not see the issue? you would not say it was a plot to islamize nigeria?

if nigerians in China suddenly started pumping money into the election - you would not see it as a plot by China to influence the election?

how do you know those contributors are not proxies for foreign governments?

all Peter obi is doing is setting a very dangerous precedent. and rest assured, foreign governments are watching

i am sure you are following trumps scandal where he may have been trying to give away nuclear secrets to the Saudis

A Nigerian is a Nigerian, whether he is in Nigeria or outside Nigeria. It's not fair to brand Nigerians in Diaspora proxies to Foreign Governments. In other countries, they don't discriminate between their citizens in diaspora and those in the country. In fact, the diaspora play a very critical role in most countries economy and politics.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Bar1941(m): 4:26am On Sep 05, 2022
Upon all the money Obi Pandora stole and invested in France he's still begging for donations, I knew it from the beginning that this scamner is out to scam unsuspecting Nigerians home and abroad their hard earned resources. Shishi you no go see

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Obinoscopy(m): 4:26am On Sep 05, 2022
Wintertime:

Let them disqualify Obi and see the impact
They cannot disqualify Obi based on this. But they can confiscate the money and this will affect his campaign momentum.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Laple0541(m): 4:26am On Sep 05, 2022
Election campaign never start Obi Pandora don turn to 'BABI ALLA'

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Abujason: 4:30am On Sep 05, 2022
Does the electoral act also have anything to say about presidential candidates buying the votes of delegates to the conference? If so I will like to know what it says, what the penalties are, and what INEC and Federal Ministry of Justice have done or will do about it.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by GloriousGbola: 4:36am On Sep 05, 2022
Obinoscopy:
A Nigerian is a Nigerian, whether he is in Nigeria or outside Nigeria. It's not fair to brand Nigerians in Diaspora proxies to Foreign Governments. In other countries, they don't discriminate between their citizens in diaspora and those in the country. In fact, the diaspora play a very critical role in most countries economy and politics.

this is not about what is fair.

this is about campaign finance

already, campaign fiance law in the US in particular has led to corporations , not people owning politicians

i deliberately used Saudi Arabia and iran, because the average nigerian christian is always screaming islamization

I am sure you are wise enough to realise that not every citizen is loyal to his country.

for instance, Do you realize for instance that ZakyZAky is a proxy for iran and their own plans for Shite expansion?

so if Zaky Zaky started a political party tomorrow and started getting contributions from nigerians based in Lebanon you would justifiably say hezbollah was funding the party

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Nobody: 4:38am On Sep 05, 2022
@OP.

This is the thing with you Igbos. Always reactionary and always about what you want alone and specifically when you want it

Is it today some of us have been calling for change in the laws to allow diasporan Nigerians have a legal and electoral say in Nigerian politics?

I forget you lot were too busy calling Nigeria a "Zoo" and disturbing us with Biafra and IPOB idiocy to care back then when the rest of us were speaking up for the big picture.

Today Obi is running you start a stupid thread to discuss how a long standing situation many had complained of, yet you were never interested in, now affects Obi adversely.

This is why I call you Igbos a "food is ready" people. You are not interested in agitating for what is best for everyone consistently and always.

You will only get involved in any agitation to chase your own myopic and selfish interest at that specific point in time.

Those who fought for the best humanity enjoy today, be it democracy or abolition of slavery, are never like you cynical, myopic and opportunist Igbos.

If you can, show me even one great initiative/fight for democracy, peaceful union, progressive ideal or nationally benevolent initiative Igbos have ever championed.

You lot have nothing to offer per inspired, benevolent, selfless and visionary leadership of a diverse society and people.

It is just not in your nature and Nigerians know this. I expect that to reflect, beyond the social media noise, in a thoroughly disappointing showing for Obi at the polls.

Bookmark this thread.

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by GloriousGbola: 4:40am On Sep 05, 2022
the irony is that APC and PDP can also play this game.

and it goes back to what has been said about LP and structure. all this skirting.testing of the law is because LP does not have the war chest to prosecute a nationwide election, inspite of all the crowds and all the youths who claim to be ready to vote for LP.

an election requires money and logistics.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by autodevice(m): 4:40am On Sep 05, 2022
Hmmm

Re: Peter Obi: Much Ado About Funding From Diasporans by Abujason: 4:44am On Sep 05, 2022
chloedogie:

Israel, US, Canada, UK, France even Ghana and Kenya allow their diasporans to vote from their respective abodes. Special interests should not be reasons to disenfranchise your own citizens. This type of reasoning is what keeps Nigeria from moving forward. This is a country where known political criminals and the well connected are allowed to steal from government coffers to run for offices, never get convicted, buy their way into offices they are nowhere close to being qualified for. So your argument about foreign interest sounds quite hollow to say the least. If that is the position of the government, then let them look at competent governments around the word and see how they protect against such concerns.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ondo PDP Tackles Akeredolu For Staying In Oyo After Returning From Germany / How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems / President Buhari Jets Out Of Nigeria For Liberia's 172nd Independent Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.