Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,328 members, 7,829,836 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

This Happened At My Children's School Today - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Happened At My Children's School Today (33996 Views)

How Is FG Policy Affecting Your Children's School Choice? / Don Davis' Mum: If Anything Happens To My Children, I'll Hold Kumuyi Responsible / Chinese Students Resume School Today (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Amtrak: 1:57pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

I will be straight and brief with my explanation

I dropped my kids in their school early today. On my way out of the premises, I over heard the HOS/HM telling/asking a particular child " WHY ARE YOUR PARENTS SO STUBBORN?" because the child wore a black socks instead of white. That word strucked me and I felt pained cos, I won't take such.

I intervened immediately and correct her manner( I told her that shouldn't be coming from her as the head teacher).
Though she felt remorsed, but she was like the said parents are always proving hard. She told me she has had several encounter with this parents on this but they always complaining that the road to the school is very bad that whenever it rained, their child will come in black socks.

To be honest, the road is so mouldy and messed, very unpleasant, you find it so hard to walk through the road in raining periods. If you're so familiar with 'QUEENMARIS SCHOOLS' along ikotun-ijegun road, you'll understand better.
She also complained that this child will sometimes wear bodyhug under the unform or improvised cardigan to prevent cold cos the parents refused to buy the school cardigan claiming it's not priority. That they'll rather pay their child school fee than buying cardigan when they can improvise.

I was speechless though, but, I told her what she said is not good enough.

How will you feel and how will you react if your child told you someone in his/her school tell this

The HOS is right; allow her manage her school while you manage your home.

Atleast she wasn't flogging/beating the child unnecessarily or wickedly. If your child was attending a military primary/secondary school, would you try this kind of "correction". Don't allow a false sense of power or authority make you try do determine who's the boss in your chilld's school.

No matter how dirty, kids can always wash their stockings everyday; it's part of training. Some of their mates are in boarding schools where this your kind of intervention can't ever take place.

Finally, if you don't have faith in the school, then simply take your child else where.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Appdriod: 2:09pm On Sep 15, 2022
From the comments, I must say our understanding of education is queer. I admire these parents.

They are managing their income and shouldn’t buy a cardigan for 12500 (I just put price shaa) when they can get it for 2400 and it serves the purpose.

They can’t pass through unwarranted stress washing socks daily when the child can use black. Rules are made for humans, not the other way around. I stand with the parents.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by chrixtoimoh: 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2022
It is a way of letting the children know that stubbornness is not good and that they shouldn't emulate their stubborn parents.
Now you have reported the school I hope you are happy now?
Hanty am asking you, yes you?
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by realhovaps(m): 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2022
Quite emotional and sensitive topic. Both sides are correct and at little faults on some parts. Going forward with this deduction, better communication on all sides including the third party would foster to achieve the best for their wards.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by DOM7: 3:08pm On Sep 15, 2022
All are wrong including you. The only fault of the headteacher is affecting the psychology of the pupil that is if he still have a normal one because of the parent attitude. If you don't want your child to be talk at behav well or homeschool your child. Teachers are human being too, you can't expect teachers to be making effort in moulding your child and you at the same time inculcating different culture at home.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Christian36: 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
I am not actually taking side on the parents.

I only felt sending such disparaging message to through the child to the parents is ridiculous.

I would have prefer she beat the child instead
Beating the child is even worst compare to what you said the HM did.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Dshocker(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

I dropped my kids in their school early today. On my way out of the premises, I over heard the HOS/HM telling/asking a particular child " WHY ARE YOUR PARENTS SO STUBBORN?" because the child wore a black socks instead of white. That word strucked me and I felt pained cos, I won't take such.

I intervened immediately and correct her manner( I told her that shouldn't be coming from her as the head teacher).
Though she felt remorsed, but she was like the said parents are always proving hard. She told me she has had several encounter with this parents on this but they always complaining that the road to the school is very bad that whenever it rained, their child will come in black socks.

To be honest, the road is so mouldy and messed, very unpleasant, you find it so hard to walk through the road in raining periods. If you're so familiar with 'QUEENMARIS SCHOOLS' along ikotun-ijegun road, you'll understand better.
She also complained that this child will sometimes wear bodyhug under the unform or improvised cardigan to prevent cold cos the parents refused to buy the school cardigan claiming it's not priority. That they'll rather pay their child school fee than buying cardigan when they can improvise.

How will you feel and how will you react if your child told you someone in his/her school tell this

If the school management puts up a law, it is the job of the parents to make sure their children adhere to such instructions.

Or were you advising she go fight the parents or arrest them?....To the best of my knowledge, the said parents are really stubborn and there is no justification for you bring this here.

You are one of those parents aiding and abetting misconduct and bring moral decay to the society.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by meobizy(f): 3:28pm On Sep 15, 2022
Nyamiri:

This one say na Amibo. Daft illiterate
Mynd44.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by VirileNelly2420: 3:49pm On Sep 15, 2022
doggedfighter:
From your explanation, aren't the parents stubborn?

By their acts they're encouraging and teaching their ward to flout rules and disobey constituted authority.

The HM has exhausted all channels of sensible

communication with the parents of the child , yet they keep behaving like stubborn he goats.

Thereby consistently making her work difficult.

Is black stockings on their dress code?

What will you have the HM do ?

The HM is exasperated .

Yes , they deserve whatever she dished out.

Op, if I may ask why did you bring this here even after getting explanations from the headteacher ?

And you even mentioned the name of the school.

What do you want to achieve ?

I personally think the OP is even more stubborn. cheesy

No offense meant.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by VirileNelly2420: 4:00pm On Sep 15, 2022
matrix199:
It's quite sad that many were schooled, but few are educated.

How do you correct the obstinate nature of parents by rhetorically questioning their child about their rules breaking attitude? That clearly shows the H.Mistress and other underage dimwits on this forum who align with the unprofessional act of the H.Mistress are dunce!

It is utmostly wrong to fault parents in the presence of a child. Most private schools in Nigeria are owned and managed by idiots who are quarter baked!

Some private schools don't have the professional capacity and knowledge to school/groom children. They are better off as a circus.

OP, I believe you know the next step to take. Pull your kids out.
A na-akogheri....

Pull ur kind out to where exactly?

Humans are emotional being,,, the reculcitrant nature of the parents compelled the utterance made by the teacher.

U should be ready to obey the school rules and regulations, else, keep off.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by kovic7(m): 4:01pm On Sep 15, 2022
I've actually taught in one of the other branches of Queen Maris Schools before and I know the exact one the OP is talking about, I've been there before.

The road is poor, yes. But there are rules and dress codes adopted by each school. You also don't abuse a child's parents in his/her presence BTW.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Chigold101(m): 4:10pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

Ị will examine myself to know if I am actually stubborn.
And if I am, then I have to start amendment process
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by LollySeaSide: 4:43pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

You shouldn't have mentioned the name of the school.
From your explanation, the said parent is more than stubborn. The HOS must have had it up to their throat with that parent.
Professional school administrators usually don't scold children for the "stubbornness" of their parents.
Instead, we confront the parent and sort things out. If they remain stubborn and non-complaint, they are asked to take their child to another school.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Edc1: 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2022
Really
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by chegzyshade(m): 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2022
LollySeaSide:

You shouldn't have mentioned the name of the school.
From your explanation, the said parent is more than stubborn. The HOS must have had it up to their throat with that parent.
Professional school administrators usually don't scold children for the "stubbornness" of their parents.
Instead, we confront the parent and sort things out. If they remain stubborn and non-complaint, they are asked to take their child to another school.

Trying to modify it

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ikorodureporta: 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2022
Why did you mention the particular school na

You don scatter everything cheesy
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by donmik: 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2022
The HM was frustrated to have used such words in front of the child. It had better been said to the parent concerned

Private schools in Nigeria have really destroyed the truth of education when both school owners and parents operate by perpetuatual compromise and unscrupulous means.

All these happen cos gov't authorities have chosen to have all funds to thenselves: not wanting to pay salaries and not wanting to facilitate school. But open their mouths to receive taxes, hoping their children will succeed their seats.

May we see a new Nigeria again
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by DJInfluence: 6:02pm On Sep 15, 2022
phorget:
The child parents are indeed stubborn, the pupil can always wear the socks when he gets within the school premises nah.
But that's not a statement to be made to a child. The head of school can disagree with the parent all she want. But it's not right to involve a child. If my child comes home from school and told me the head of school said this to him, I'll head to that school the next day to discuss with that head of school.

This is just the Africa way of training which is so wrong. It's similar to someone asking Nigerians for advice, while 35% will advice, another 35% will insult the person seeking for advice while the remaining 30% will both advice, blame and insult the advice seeker. It's our way. A wrong way, but it's our way.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Nyamiri: 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2022
meobizy:
Mynd44.

Assistant Mod. Congratulations on your appointment.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by tete7000(m): 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2022
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

You don't talk about people disrespectfully in front of their kids. And as a matter of principle, I don't talk down on my kid's teachers in front of him either. Some educators are simply dumb. That is inexcusable.

If you are a parent who doesn't show good manners, I will advise your children not to be like their parent. They should strive to be an upgrade of you.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by lezz(m): 7:38pm On Sep 15, 2022
phorget:
The child parents are indeed stubborn, the pupil can always wear the socks when he gets within the school premises nah.
it is not for the school teacher to tell the kid how stubborn or useless her parents are whether they are indeed stubborn or not just as it isn't for the parent to berate his kid's teacher to the kid.

This kind of topics are often bigger than Nairaland especially those who rush to comment and rush to like posts

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Buffalo2(m): 8:48pm On Sep 15, 2022
What some parents can never try in public schools, they come to low-tuition private school to do.
Some parents just like to cause headache for these teachers which is not good enough and before you say Jack, they have started threatening with withdrawer of their kids.
It's the school management I blame on this anyway. They suppose to have "disposed" such child since day 1.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ericmor: 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2022
hope4nigeria:
the head Teacher cares now you are using it against her. Most aclaim parents are fools not worthy of parents. Following school instructions are Part of education, that's why we have bad people in our society today. During our time in school in 80s and 90s, if you wear contrary to school rules and regulations, you will be sent out of school immediately with your parents summon and warned else you will be dismissed. But now hungry parents will be forming big madam

you were getting it right not until you got to the hungry parent part. The solution is to first suspend the child and then expel if the parent refused to abide by the school rules and regulation but the problem is that the schools are after the money and wouldn't want to loose a student all because of the money. She was wrong telling a child that, even tho the parent were stubborn, I mean really stubborn

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by hope4nigeria(m): 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2022
ericmor:

you were getting it right not until you got to the hungry parent part. The solution is to first suspend the child and then expel if the parent refused to abide by the school rules and regulation but the problem is that the schools are after the money and wouldn't want to loose a student all because of the money. She was wrong telling a child that, even tho the parent were stubborn, I mean really stubborn
well I agree with you on that, she didn't suppose to say that to the child. You are right.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:57pm On Sep 15, 2022
Gmajor:
What about the op that is talking down on the Head Teacher in front of the whole world?
He told her what she did is wrong. A child doesn't need to know about the inadequacies of the adults around him, you don't need to speak bad of his parents or teachers in his presence. It is plain stupidity! Some educators today are dumb!

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2022
Corridon:
If you are the head teacher who has exhausted all channels of communication with the said parents and the child continues to break the school rules and regulations what will you do?
What happened to suspension or expulsion like it used to be done in days of old? They would not do it though because they don't have the balls to do so because their worst nightmare is losing their students to other private schools.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 10:02pm On Sep 15, 2022
Corridon:
If you are the head teacher who has exhausted all channels of communication with the said parents and the child continues to break the school rules and regulations what will you do?
What happened to suspension or expulsion like it used to be done in days of old? They would not do it though because they don't have the balls to do so because their worst nightmare is losing their students to other private schools. They should send the child back home, how about that? It is a more sensible thing to do than spewing out trash. The foolish headteacher just reacted angrily and in not being able to control her anger in front of the child, she betrayed her immaturity.

1 Like

Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by kelspinall(m): 10:03pm On Sep 15, 2022
madam mind ya b ness,u go somewhere open ear dey listen to convo no concern you.. come nairaland come gossip.linda ikeshi
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by Exceed15: 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

Next time keep away the name of the school.. it's unnecessary.
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by ILuvKIDS: 12:46am On Sep 16, 2022
chegzyshade:
Good evening house

You obviously have a hidden agenda with the HM
Because absolutely no lie or better words to say a plain truth.
Besides I don't get the insult in that undecided

50 or more % of parents do not like their child's school HM.
So you definitely picked offence to what she said from an angle of hate!
Re: This Happened At My Children's School Today by leofab(f): 12:49am On Sep 16, 2022
matrix199:
It's quite sad that many were schooled, but few are educated.

How do you correct the obstinate nature of parents by rhetorically questioning their child about their rules breaking attitude? That clearly shows the H.Mistress and other underage dimwits on this forum who align with the unprofessional act of the H.Mistress are dunce!

It is utmostly wrong to fault parents in the presence of a child. Most private schools in Nigeria are owned and managed by idiots who are quarter baked!

Some private schools don't have the professional capacity and knowledge to school/groom children. They are better off as a circus.

OP, I believe you know the next step to take. Pull your kids out.
look at this senile nitwit calling people dimwit.. did you read where the H/Mstress stress that they have spoken to the parents multiple times without success?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Over 20 UNN Students Dead In Car Accident While Travelling / Esut Suspends 10 Students And Expels 4 For Examination Impersonation. / Why Parents Should Stop Enrolling Their Child To School Too Early.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.