Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,981 members, 7,828,474 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? (739 Views)

Photos Of Fayose Cutting Meat In The Kitchen / Independence Day Cutting Of Cake: Jonathan Vs Buhari (photos) / PDP Corners Nearly 4,000 Of The 5,000 Invitation Cards To Inauguration Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by IYANGBALI: 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2011
I really do not know why this thought came into my mind,but i can not help but to voice it out and discuss it here on this forum. With the way everthing{and i mean evertything you can think of including our places of worship} is in our country and the way people{including our so called religious leaders and some parents too} admirer/worship people that have made it in our country without minding how they made their money,corruption and our battered economy,can one make it in our country without using pen to steal or any other means you can think of? Almost all those people we see around us did one dirty thing or another to make it in Nigeria.

PLEASE TELL ME CAN ONE MAKE IT IN NIGERIA BY JUST BEING STRAIGHT AND NO WURUWURU WHATSOEVER?

Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by frankjoe(m): 8:58pm On Aug 12, 2011
Impossible!
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 11:40am On Aug 13, 2011
Yes you can! I can boast of being as successful as I am today without indulging in any form of "wuruwuru". I can attribute my success in life to the following:
1. God's grace
2. Natural talent
3. Hardwork

You don't have to be dishonest to be successful in Nigeria but you do have to do a lot of hardwork (just like anywhere else).
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by otokx(m): 3:07pm On Aug 13, 2011
Yes IJN
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by coogar: 3:12pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

Yes you can! I can boast of being as successful as I am today without indulging in any form of "wuruwuru". I can attribute my success in life to the following:
1. God's grace
2. Natural talent
3. Hardwork

You don't have to be dishonest to be successful in Nigeria but you do have to do a lot of hardwork (just like anywhere else).

you are a pathological liar.
at one point in your life in nigeria, you must have bribed a policeman, nepa official, lastma official, teacher, exam invigilators, civil servant, messenger, etc. even if you didn't do it directly - somebody with your interest in mind must have done it on your behalf.

@ topic,
no individual can make it in nigeria without any form of wuruwuru.
in other countries, most nigerians will make it without wuruwuru but the moment nigeria comes to play, wuruwuru must prevail.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by blacksta(m): 3:18pm On Aug 13, 2011
coogar:

you are a pathological liar.
at one point in your life in nigeria, you must have bribed a policeman, nepa official, lastma official, teacher, exam invigilators, civil servant, messenger, etc. even if you didn't do it directly - somebody with your interest in mind must have done it on your behalf.

@ topic,
no individual can make it in nigeria without any form of wuruwuru.
in other countries, most nigerians will make it without wuruwuru but the moment nigeria comes to play, wuruwuru must prevail.

I agree 100% - Everybody are simply compromised
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by doublekay: 3:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
@ op depends on ur def of wuru wuru
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2011
A thief thinks everyone else is a thief. Those who have corruption in their DNA cannot fathom how someone else will not be corrupt. I don't have to convince anyone but I can boldly say I have NEVER bribed or cheated to get myself to where I am today. If u don't like it, go hug a . . . :8
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2011
@Poster, I am not entirely sure if it is possible. I do know that in my experience, those around you work to frustrate you if you are not willing to pay up. That was part reason why I left Nigeria when I did.
If you are able to weave for a yourself a situation whereby you have people more dependent on you, than you are on them, then it is likely you can make it without wuruwuru, but I doubt many people can do that considering we do not all get to map life exactly the way we want.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2011
Great insight Kobo. I must confess that I am quite fortunate. I have mostly been advantaged in most cases. I "BLASTED" my way through school, never having to depend on anyone and maintaining very strict levels of discipline. I got all my scholarships and jobs by merit and have always been successful within and outside Nigeria. I agree it is difficult but as they say, tough times never last but tough people do. I was once told I can never get my current job without "knowing" someone on the inside. I proved it to be very wrong. I want whoever is reading this to know "It Is Possible". I've been there and done that plus, I'm just getting started!
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by coogar: 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

Great insight Kobo. I must confess that I am quite fortunate. I have mostly been advantaged in most cases. I "BLASTED" my way through school, never having to depend on anyone and maintaining very strict levels of discipline. I got all my scholarships and jobs by merit and have always been successful within and outside Nigeria. I agree it is difficult but as they say, tough times never last but tough people do. I was once told I can never get my current job without "knowing" someone on the inside. I proved it to be very wrong. I want whoever is reading this to know "It Is Possible". I've been there and done that plus, I'm just getting started!

keep talking a good game. . . .

wuruwuru does not have to be career based. . . .i have never cheated as well when it comes to exams, career, etc. but in a chaotic state like nigeria, there's no way anyone, i repeat, any individual could have made it in nigeria in various sticky situations without rubbing few palms. . . .it's not possible.

down to queuing at filling stations, to putting fuel in jerrycans, to jumping through the hoops/queues, etc. nigeria is a country where rubbing palms is the only way things get done effectively. i remember the incident in the passport office in festac. i was told there and then i could get my passport the same day if i pay the premium price. . . . i was told it could take months if i do it the normal way. . . .what would efisher do in that situation? he's going to convince me now that he would wait 3 months to get his international passport cos he doesn't believe in wuruwuru. . . .who are you fooling?
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

I don't think it is really as simple as you try to make it. For one, there are so many who tried to 'BLAST' there way through school but were blocked by one problem Nigeria or another.

There are definitely so many more hardworking Nigerians out there who will tell you that your case is more of LUCK than anything of what you have actually done on your own.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
@Kobo, u made a good point there about "luck". That's exactly why in my first post, I made it clear that my success can be attributed to 3 key things. I also purposely listed Hardwork as number 3 cos God's grace (which u may have referred to as luck) and natural talent have played very prominent roles.

@Coogar, for your example, guess what? I have been in a similar situation and I didn't need to pay anyone! My case was for visa application and the company I was working for had a corporate arrangement with the consulate for visas. As for my passport, I got mine way ahead of time so I wasn't in a rush. The idea is to live above corruption. It isn't easy but it's possible. BTW, let's keep the topic in focus. The poster wants to know whether u can "make it" not whether you can "buy fuel" without wuruwuru. How does buying fuel affect my success in life?
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by coogar: 8:30pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

@Coogar, for your example, guess what? I have been in a similar situation and I didn't need to pay anyone! My case was for visa application and the company I was working for had a corporate arrangement with the consulate for visas. As for my passport, I got mine way ahead of time so I wasn't in a rush. The idea is to live above corruption. It isn't easy but it's possible. BTW, let's keep the topic in focus. The poster wants to know whether u can "make it" not whether you can "buy fuel" without wuruwuru. How does buying fuel affect my success in life?

because it's wuruwuru if you had to get it unconventionally. . . . .can one make it in nigeria without any form of wuruwuru? the answer is no! go and preach your clean slate life somewhere else where deluded lots would believe you. it's people like you who paper the cracks when it's obvious the country is in a deplorable state. nobody pays in visa consulates cos you are not dealing with errrrrrr, nigerians! give us an example where you have had to deal with nigerians like yourself and stop telling porkies!
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2011
@Coogar, if u couldn't do it, someone else could have. Stop hating and learn. If u were willing to learn, I could have showed you ways of "living above" corruption. The good thing is I'm not posting here to convince YOU but to encourage 1 or 2 peeps out there who may be thinking of how to achieve success without cheating.

Tip for the willing: always set targets way above the mark. You often have to condescend to cheating when you are struggling with everyone else on the same level. Does a student who scores 350 in JAMB & A1-parallel in WAEC need to beg for admission? I don't think so. Does a first class graduate in Chemical Engr. who knows what he's doing need to beg for a job in an oil company? I don't think so. Does a man who drives a brand new car with all the necessary papers available need to pay bribes at police checkpoints? I don't think so. Does a hardworking and target-exceeding staff need to grease palms at work to get his promotion? Most likely no.
Live like an eagle among chickens and you may not have to indulge in "wuruwuru".
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by coogar: 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

@Coogar, if u couldn't do it, someone else could have. Stop hating and learn. If u were willing to learn, I could have showed you ways of "living above" corruption. The good thing is I'm not posting here to convince YOU but to encourage 1 or 2 peeps out there who may be thinking of how to achieve success without cheating.

you are a tool!
what success have you even achieved that you are barking with phlegm spraying out of your mouth?
any troglodyte can come online and say he's the richest businessman in nigeria.

Tip for the willing: always set targets way above the mark. You often have to condescend to cheating when you are struggling with everyone else on the same level. Does a student who scores 350 in JAMB & A1-parallel in WAEC need to beg for admission? I don't think so. Does a first class graduate in Chemical Engr. who knows what he's doing need to beg for a job in an oil company? I don't think so. Does a man who drives a brand new car with all the necessary papers available need to pay bribes at police checkpoints? I don't think so. Does a hardworking and target-exceeding staff need to grease palms at work to get his promotion? Most likely no.
Live like an eagle among chickens and you may not have to indulge in "wuruwuru".

your mentality is unbelievable shallow!
i think i might have subconsciously overestimated your level of intelligence.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 9:00pm On Aug 13, 2011
@ Coogar, u can insult me all u want but it doesn't change the fact. YES YOU CAN!!!
It does hurt when someone says he can do what u can't do. I understand that cos that has been my experience in life. People keep telling me "It is impossible" and I keep doing the "impossible". I know I'm not alone. There are many more out there who are conquering their own world of impossibilities. Someone once told me I can never genuinely be a millionaire b4 10 years of my graduation. I did it in 3 (genuinely). I know others have done it in 1 year or even less. Hmmmm, have I added more pepper to the injury? Do yourself some good and start believing and working to achieve your own success without "wuruwuru".
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

Tip for the willing: always set targets way above the mark. You often have to condescend to cheating when you are struggling with everyone else on the same level. Does a student who scores 350 in JAMB & A1-parallel in WAEC need to beg for admission? I don't think so.  Does a first class graduate in Chemical Engr. who knows what he's doing need to beg for a job in an oil company? I don't think so. Does a man who drives a brand new car with all the necessary papers available need to pay bribes at police checkpoints? I don't think so.

Again, you make it sound as simple as that, when in actuality, it is not. Getting a 350 score or A1 in WAEC does NOT GUARANTEE anything in Nigeria. I know this for a fact. I did well in my WAEC but that didn't stop JAMB from taking me for a ride. That didn't stop another person(name withheld) from thinking it OK to then use that as opportunity to play with my destiny.

Again, you are trying to OVER SIMPLIFY the issues by pretending it had so much to do with YOu and YOUR goals for yourself when in reality, it does not seem that way.

Back in my highschool days, I had a classmate who we called prof . . . he was the real deal. This boy could help you solve all the math problems you got him to, but his problems started when it came time to take the WAEC, and then JAMB. His scores went "MAGICALLY" missing, the first year, and the second year. By the third year, there weren't resources for him to proceed with (Family financials) and so he has to attend technical school. This is someone who is not really technically but brilliant when it comes to the theoreticals. I don't know where he ended up but that boy, from what I knew of him back then, did all he could, all within his power, to push past the issues, but it still came down on him.

Owning a car, and having all the papers, WILL NOT stop the police from pulling you over at a Checkpoint and proceeding to search you. Matter of fact, I know for a fact that they would do all they can to find something wrong, and when they don't, many will stoop to begging you straight up for some Egunje. I personally have never really indulged Nigerians(again, part reason why I had to leave), but I understand that it is not as simplistic as you try to make it.

And please stop spreading this story that everyone has to be EXEMPLARY To be immune. Even out here in the US, not everyone can be that way, and it is an accepted human fact. Maybe instead of making it seems as if those who have failed, did so because they are not, for lack of a better word, PERFECT, you could spend more time actually advising on particular cases.

NOTE: I am not at all doubting your case, just saying that I don't think you can flippantly conclude that if everyone did things exactly as you presumably did it, it would all work out for them too. And yes, I am 1000% anti-bribery and corruption myself. I had to loose 3 years of school because I refused to succumb to pressure. It hurt because I knew I did it all well but somehow I found myself having to decide whether to pay up or let it all go.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by coogar: 9:31pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

@ Coogar, u can insult me all u want but it doesn't change the fact. YES YOU CAN!!!
It does hurt when someone says he can do what u can't do. I understand that cos that has been my experience in life. People keep telling me "It is impossible" and I keep doing the "impossible". I know I'm not alone. There are many more out there who are conquering their own world of impossibilities. Someone once told me I can never genuinely be a millionaire b4 10 years of my graduation. I did it in 3 (genuinely). I know others have done it in 1 year or even less. Hmmmm, have I added more pepper to the injury? Do yourself some good and start believing and working to achieve your own success without "wuruwuru".

and being a millionaire is now an achievement? 1 million = £4000? grin cheesy grin
i made that before my 21st birthday. ma guy, go and lie down and stop posting nonsense on a public forum.
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2011
I'm not in any way suggesting that one has to be perfect or that hardwork alone is enough. I explained the hardwork part earlier. As for setting high targets, it's just a suggestion for those who can chew it! As we have all said one way or the other, it is tough. . . But then, it is also possible!
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by ektbear: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2011
efisher:

I'm not in any way suggesting that one has to be perfect or that hardwork alone is enough. I explained the hardwork part earlier. As for setting high targets, it's just a suggestion for those who can chew it! As we have all said one way or the other, it is tough. . . But then, it is also possible!

Nice sig grin
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by efisher(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2011
@Ekt, thanks wink
Re: Can One Make It In Our Country Without Any Form Of Wuruwuru{cutting corners}? by IYANGBALI: 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again, you make it sound as simple as that, when in actuality, it is not. Getting a 350 score or A1 in WAEC does NOT GUARANTEE anything in Nigeria. I know this for a fact. I did well in my WAEC but that didn't stop JAMB from taking me for a ride. That didn't stop another person(name withheld) from thinking it OK to then use that as opportunity to play with my destiny.

Again, you are trying to OVER SIMPLIFY the issues by pretending it had so much to do with YOu and YOUR goals for yourself when in reality, it does not seem that way.

Back in my highschool days, I had a classmate who we called prof . . . he was the real deal. This boy could help you solve all the math problems you got him to, but his problems started when it came time to take the WAEC, and then JAMB. His scores went "MAGICALLY" missing, the first year, and the second year. By the third year, there weren't resources for him to proceed with (Family financials) and so he has to attend technical school. This is someone who is not really technically but brilliant when it comes to the theoreticals. I don't know where he ended up but that boy, from what I knew of him back then, did all he could, all within his power, to push past the issues, but it still came down on him.

Owning a car, and having all the papers, WILL NOT stop the police from pulling you over at a Checkpoint and proceeding to search you. Matter of fact, I know for a fact that they would do all they can to find something wrong, and when they don't, many will stoop to begging you straight up for some Egunje. I personally have never really indulged Nigerians(again, part reason why I had to leave), but I understand that it is not as simplistic as you try to make it.

And please stop spreading this story that everyone has to be EXEMPLARY To be immune. Even out here in the US, not everyone can be that way, and it is an accepted human fact. Maybe instead of making it seems as if those who have failed, did so because they are not, for lack of a better word, PERFECT, you could spend more time actually advising on particular cases.

NOTE: I am not at all doubting your case, just saying that I don't think you can flippantly conclude that if everyone did things exactly as you presumably did it, it would all work out for them too. And yes, I am 1000% anti-bribery and corruption myself. I had to loose 3 years of school because I refused to succumb to pressure. It hurt because I knew I did it all well but somehow I found myself having to decide whether to pay up or let it all go.
you are the one saying the real truth here/
coogar:

because it's wuruwuru if you had to get it unconventionally. . . . .can one make it in nigeria without any form of wuruwuru? the answer is no! go and preach your clean slate life somewhere else where deluded lots would believe you. it's people like you who paper the cracks when it's obvious the country is in a deplorable state. nobody pays in visa consulates cos you are not dealing with errrrrrr, nigerians! give us an example where you have had to deal with nigerians like yourself and stop telling porkies!
pls help me tell them
coogar:

and being a millionaire is now an achievement? 1 million = £4000? grin cheesy grin
i made that before my 21st birthday. ma guy, go and lie down and stop posting nonsense on a public forum.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
efisher:

1. God's grace
2. Natural talent
3. Hardwork

i dont think you live in this country.Take a very good look around you including our places of worship,schools,offices,government,name it,everywhere stinks. The thing tire me bo

(1) (Reply)

Cameron Threat To Withhold Uk Aid To Anti-G.A.Y. Nations / Bayelsa Governorship: Jonathan Vs Timipire Sylva / Senators Supports Ndume, Boko Haram Sponsor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.