Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,752 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

How Does One Deal With Overqualification? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Does One Deal With Overqualification? (665 Views)

How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? / How Does The First Three Months Looks Like In NDA / How Does One Start A Magazine And What Are The Tools/equipment Needed To Start? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Does One Deal With Overqualification? by Friedrich: 9:27pm On Aug 15, 2011
Hello,

Please, how exactly can someone convince a potential employer that he/she is willing to do a job he/she is overqualified for?

Some friends thinking of coming back to naija after their Masters are thinking of taking up any job even if they are overqualified for it. The other problem is that most of them don't have experience despite the degrees and few are even above the maximum age required.

I told them it'll be difficult because of the thousands of fresh and recent graduates in Nigeria whom I think will fit in to these jobs better than someone with a Masters.

How then can they succeed in overcoming this OVERQUALIFIED label here in Nigeria?
Re: How Does One Deal With Overqualification? by AjanleKoko: 12:54pm On Aug 16, 2011
I created a thread about this once, here.
The truth of the matter is, overqualification is not the reason why they might find it difficult to get a job. There are less and less entry-level white collar jobs nowadays. The direction has moved in the way of skills, rather than certificates.
No matter how many certificates your friends have, if they do not have specific skills, they will find it hard going to get a career job in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need A Candid Advice / Check It Out / Massive Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.