Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? (30777 Views)

Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder / Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking / How Does The First Three Months Looks Like In NDA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by TD4real: 5:33pm On Nov 27, 2013
hey guys, plz i really need some serious advice on investment banking, its a ahame to say that i'm 21yrs old and currently doing my service year with a dream of becoming a banker but have no idea on how to go about it. i have never even met one before. by banker, i dont mean the custormer care, tellers, account officers or any other operational office, i am referring to the real bankers who deal with financial ratios and investment of the banks money. please i would like to know what it takes and what channels or routes i have to follow.

any investment banker in the house or anybody with some good ideas...........
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by jerri250(m): 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
guy belive in your self you can do it luca say something i like don't give up you can do

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by TD4real: 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2013
thanks man,just keeping faith but i seiously need guidance
jerri250: guy belive in your self you can do it luca say something i like don't give up you can do

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by free2ryhme: 11:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
work in an investment bank is a first start
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Teebegs: 11:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
Ask google.dat wld help

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by ibkgab001: 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
You need God' guidance
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by KenJak(m): 11:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
Follow your mind
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 02, 2013
My humble opinion kindly ask google made fp @ last |whew.No.b.beay
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by kinharold(m): 11:36pm On Dec 02, 2013
currently doing my service year with a dream of becoming a banker but have no idea on how to go about it. i have never even met one before. by banker, i dont mean the custormer care, tellers, account officers or any other operational office, i am referring to the real bankers who deal with financial ratios and investment of the banks money.
My own advise is for you to first become "A Banker", whether customer service, front desk teller or anything. in less than six months there, you may not be asking this question again and your experience will teach you so much more.

11 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by freeR1: 11:36pm On Dec 02, 2013
Investment banking is really huge and a large part of investment banking is not done in Nigeria. The core to investment banking is company valuation and risk management. Basically, you do merger and acquisition, private buy-out, venture capital, underwriting etc. My advice to you is to try the CIS (Chartered institute of stockbrokers Nigeria) exam. It will give you an overview of what investment banking is. Let me warn you; 80% of what you will be taught does not happen in Nigeria at the moment. The bright side to this is that there is a huge opportunity for you to start something that will change the financial sector.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by vanguard1(m): 11:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
With determination and prayer, the sky will be your starting poin. I wish you goodluck buddy
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Damojo: 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
1st u gotta be a bank, then u gotta invest in the bank. investing in a bank as a banker makes u an investment banker. i hope u dont understand?!

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
There are various ways to get into the industry and investment banking can be very broad as well. So you have M&A, Equity/Debt Underwriting or even Sales and Trading. Lots of people want to be investment bankers because of the perceived high bonuses so getting in can be quite competitive. My best advice is to get some other degree which can be:
1. MBA - if you can afford to get a foreign MBA the better. Lots of US schools offer scholarships and even school loans so I think this is a good entry point. UK schools are also an option. You need to go to the right school and the best way is to get a very high score in your GMAT. If going abroad is not an option, you can still get an MBA from a Nigerian University.
2. CFA - the CFA designation is more relevant for Asset Management/Wealth Management but in Nigeria it can also work. The CFA is not very easy but it is doable even if you dont have a finance degree. And then you can move from Asset Management into investment banking or go straight to investment banking
3. ICAN - if you cant go through the first two options, then just go do ACCA. At least it is the best Nigeria has to offer in terms of designation so it can only help and not hurt you as accounting knowledge is key in investment banking.
4. Work experience also matters. People who have worked in consulting especially strategy consulting also have an edge or if you have worked in management positions in a particular industry.

But at 21, you are young and not too experienced so I will suggest you go through the academic route.

Goodluck

8 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 02, 2013
TD4real: hey guys, plz i really need some serious advice on investment banking, its a ahame to say that i'm 21yrs old and currently doing my service year with a dream of becoming a banker but have no idea on how to go about it. i have never even met one before. by banker, i dont mean the custormer care, tellers, account officers or any other operational office, i am referring to the real bankers who deal with financial ratios and investment of the banks money. please i would like to know what it takes and what channels or routes i have to follow.

Enrol yourself in the chartered institute of stock brokers where you earn a professional quaification in securities and investment. If you majored in business or management sciences, you can also go for CIIA(certified international investment analyst.) Visit www.cisnigeria.com for more info or call me08038226929. I am actually writing my first CIS examination tomorow though l am still an undergraduate of comp sc. Wish me luck...

6 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by eluquenson(m): 12:00am On Dec 03, 2013
Investment banker indeed grin

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by 360command: 12:06am On Dec 03, 2013
I think you mean stock broker. Go in for that.
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 03, 2013
ibkgab001: You need God' guidance

Some of you are really funny. The guy is asking for advice. If you have nothing to say, it's not by force to post.

7 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by 735i(m): 12:08am On Dec 03, 2013
Nashville:
1. MBA - if you can afford to get a foreign MBA the better. Lots of US schools offer scholarships and even school loans so I think this is a good entry point. UK schools are also an option. You need to go to the right school and the best way is to get a very high score in your GMAT. If going abroad is not an option, you can still get an MBA from a Nigerian University.

But at 21, you are young and not too experienced so I will suggest you go through the academic route.

Goodluck

No University in the UK or US (that's worth it's name) will give a fresh graduate admission do an MBA. Also an MBA from Nigeria (unless it's from LBS) is not going to take you anywhere near an IB firm if you don't have experience.

Nashville:
2. CFA - the CFA designation is more relevant for Asset Management/Wealth Management but in Nigeria it can also work. The CFA is not vry easy but it is doable even if you dont have a finance degree. And then you can move from Asset Management into investment banking or go straight to investment banking
k

CFA is quite broad and really will be a good option for him...but he will need to put in tons of hours to study.

Nashville:

Goodluck

You nailed it!!

OP i'll advice you to create a profile on Linkedin. Look up proffesionals in the industry and try to add them; Network.
You should also try and read up stuff on Investment Banking and find out what it's about. Google the terms that sound strange to you. Investopedia should also be you close friend.
When you have a fair understanding of the terms and the industry as a whole; look for the reputable firms and offer your services for free.
Try as much as you can to get into the industry irrespective of the role you are offered; Let your passion drive you.
Once you're in; you'll sort yourself out.
All the best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by olorunthobby(f): 12:09am On Dec 03, 2013
i no know o cry
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by BarryX(m): 12:15am On Dec 03, 2013
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by BarryX(m): 12:18am On Dec 03, 2013
Invest in a sure Banker that will win the next week draws

17 , 31 are likely draws grin

BTW - Why do we have Google if not for questions like these ?

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by KillMoves: 12:29am On Dec 03, 2013
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by djdroydakkount: 12:42am On Dec 03, 2013
735 i:

No University in the UK or US (that's worth it's name) will give a fresh graduate admission do an MBA. Also an MBA from Nigeria (unless it's from LBS) is not going to take you anywhere near an IB firm if you don't have experience.

CFA is quite broad and really will be a good option for him...but he will need to put in tons of hours to study.

You nailed it!!

OP i'll advice you to create a profile on Linkedin. Look up proffesionals in the industry and try to add them; Network.
You should also try and read up stuff on Investment Banking and find out what it's about. Google the terms that sound strange to you. Investopedia should also be you close friend.
When you have a fair understanding of the terms and the industry as a whole; look for the reputable firms and offer your services for free.
Try as much as you can to get into the industry irrespective of the role you are offered; Let your passion drive you.
Once you're in; you'll sort yourself out.
All the best.
Read all replies by dis user. Makes sense. (nt e'bodi knws aw to use google, teach dem 2 use it and . . . )

1 Like

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by Jarus(m): 12:44am On Dec 03, 2013

5 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by dheaven: 2:00am On Dec 03, 2013
So there is no investment Banker on Nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by zebudaya(m): 2:15am On Dec 03, 2013
Bros go online and email the Investment bankers you can find. There are a lot of them in New York City. 10 years ago, when I was seeking career advice, I went online and emailed Nigerian engineering professors, some of them emailed me back, and actually gave great advice. Find them on linkedin as 735i already stated . Always get crucial information from the horses mouth and not from people on this forum, most of which have nothing to say or add to the discussion except for speculation.

Also read this site http://wallstreetplayboys.com/ there's a lot of good advice there although it appeals to an American audience, but you fit take style get the gist of what they are saying and naijarize it to fit your situation.

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by lagcity(m): 2:32am On Dec 03, 2013
ole! grin u sef sabi beta thing. I cant tell u how to become investment banker. but I know how you can become teacher at Sapele Comprehensive High School.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by benonyema: 3:18am On Dec 03, 2013
TD4real: hey guys, plz i really need some serious advice on investment banking, its a ahame to say that i'm 21yrs old and currently doing my service year with a dream of becoming a banker but have no idea on how to go about it. i have never even met one before. by banker, i dont mean the custormer care, tellers, account officers or any other operational office, i am referring to the real bankers who deal with financial ratios and investment of the banks money. please i would like to know what it takes and what channels or routes i have to follow.

who get nokia pin charger
Re: How Does One Become An Investment Banker ? by aeu1: 5:42am On Dec 03, 2013
M..Sc Finance is more specialized than MBA for Investment analyst.
OP, commercial banks may not have all those investment majors to calculate investment ratios. Banking is a very conservative profession/industry in the sense that it follows the same pattern of rules, even if you are a GCE O'LEVEL holder, if you are working in the department that handles that, over time you will master the job. Besides, central bank gives a strict set of rules of ratios and specification of investment to commercial banks and varies the ratios from time to time.
Where Investment banking are practised in Nigeria are Issuing Houses like StanbicIBTC, BGL, Vetiva, Meristem, etc and combine CIS (stockbrokers) with M.Sc Finance, or CIS & ICAN to position yourself for the industry or any related jobs that may come your way. Be fast to enroll

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Come Suggest For Me / Deloitte 2023 Graduate Recruitment / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.