Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,596 members, 7,847,512 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:27 PM

Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions (33041 Views)

Peter Obi: We do not Comment On Individual cases - UK Govt Replies Premiumtimes / Peter Obi: We Won The 2023 Presidential Election / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by socialmediaman: 6:34pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:

And you know what that means...higher prices for most imports...including consumer electronics, tokumbo cars, and a host of other things.

Even higher prices for many things produced at home because they rely on imported componets and machinery to be produced.

At the end, you will complain and weep. Inflation will rise.

(No, I don't support Tinubu either, and the fact that he has no plan out is even more proof not to vote APC. )

I don’t care about what Tinubu has to say. He needs rest. The rigors of presidency are too much for a man who needs too much rest. We have evidence in Aso rock currently

Plus he’s running a Muslim Muslim ticket. I can’t pretend that religious crisis happening all over the country especially in places like Kaduna Plateau Benue are irrelevant

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by obyno82: 6:34pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:
I'm going to be honest, and say that this means we would have dollars flowing out of the country...meaning at the end, the value of the naira would crash heavily.

The dollar restrictions we have, as harsh as they are...are why we are not exchanging N5000 for one dollar today...and I am not exagerrating. It may sound cool at first, but the truth is, we are not earning enough dollars to liberalise the market yet.

I know a lot of people like the idea, because we want to go back to the days when we could spend over 500 dollars in a month. But until I see a concrete plan on how we are going to earn more dollars from Obi...and no, I don't want to hear that Obi taking power in Abuja means that we would suddenly get an income of 100 bn dollars a month....and it has to be a plan that involves total removal of subsides...because that is where most of our forex goes...and heavy enforcement of taxation.ie raising our tax to gdp raito to 50% or more.......I'm afraid this plan is wishful thinking. If not a plan to cause severe forex shortage, and inflation, and the naira looking like Zim dollars....

For once, Obi is wrong.

(P.S This does not mean you or i should vote for tinubu or atiku...).

Can you swear that you have not heard Obi talk about his plan for the Economy. The conversion from consumption to production abi? Please naaa let us have conscience and stop selective disinformation.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Pakute: 6:35pm On Oct 06, 2022
sisisioge:
Thank you o....they should hear. One would think this present government will invest in real economist as opposed to politicians manning the country economy.

Even if they want us to start enlarging local production,sebi they would have created the means for that before restricting the importation....I can't believe what Buhari did to rice....the guy is unbelievable! Now cassava and other previously locally produced products are mimicking import prices
of other foods . Awon werey. Enough of Ribbish....Peter Obi for president o....even though I know Tinubu no go green. The guy na hailing don!
Solve the lingering insecurity and watch Nigeria become the biggest Agriculture hub in Africa. If our farmers could be safe in farms, best believe, we can feed west Africa sufficiently.
But the dumb idea of Obi removing import restrictions is the quickest route to killing our economy, ironically, he was talking about the policy of moving from consumption to production. He doesn't come off as someone who knows his economics, obviously a gibberish a container economist would say. And if you sure sound like one of such pepper sellers who easily gets carried away by bogus & disastrous theories.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Scamburster(m): 6:36pm On Oct 06, 2022
asanausana91:
and this foolish Obi is telling his zombiedients that he will change Nigeria from consumption to production country.
Obi is a dangerous terrorist,he is confused.
How can you get your country to produce if there are no restrictions on import

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by joyd200: 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2022
No candidate can achieve this, when elected in next regime. It's suicidal for an economy with low forex inflow. The reserves may be fully depleted within weeks. However, it's possible in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Kingzeez10: 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2022
June15:
It is well
You mena this Obi?

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by newnigerdelta00: 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2022
God1000:
I believe in you sir, you will do wonderful things for our country

Peter Obi is a genius and phenomenon, he will make Nigeria an eldorado.

He for start am from Anambra state, mugu's.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Lovenorth: 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2022
Buhari administration is a sadistic administration, I love Peter Obi
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2022
socialmediaman:

Are the prices lower now that they’re restricted? Are we making revenue form import tax? No, because they’re being smuggled. That’s the price of restriction

They will get higher with your import tax.

Again , be careful what you wish for.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 06, 2022
socialmediaman:

I don’t care about what Tinubu has to say. He needs rest. The rigors of presidency are too much for a man who needs too much rest. We have evidence in Aso rock currently

Plus he’s running a Muslim Muslim ticket. I can’t pretend that religious crisis happening all over the country especially in places like Kaduna Plateau Benue are irrelevant

I threw in tinubu because you obi fans think that anyone disagreeing with you must be a tinubu supporter.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 06, 2022
obyno82:

Can you swear that you have not heard Obi talk about his plan for the Economy. The conversion from consumption to production abi? Please naaa let us have conscience and stop selective disinformation.

I am criticising his plan to librealize the forex market from the word go. It sounds nice, but the fact is, we are not earning enough forex, beofre we even talk about corruption, stealing of crude, and round tripping theft.

Plus it is going to take a while for us to be a producing nation for export...and i mean manufactured goods.

Finally, one way we can earn more forex is by removing subsides on petrol and power. Which you obidients mostly do not want (Obi wants it).

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Cantonese: 6:44pm On Oct 06, 2022
obyno82:

Ahhh!!!!!! finally you have just shown that you don't have sense. The reason for the slide in value of the naira is the multiple exchange rates that was created for political expediency. Now if you have a single rate and abolish fx restriction which can allow for exporters to sell the FX they bring at good rates to banks and government and at the same time allow bank to source for dollars at a single rate that alone will signal the country being ripe for business and companies will establish and jobs will be created.
But alas you have advertised online real time your stupidity.

100%
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by sisisioge: 6:44pm On Oct 06, 2022
Pakute:

Solve the lingering insecurity and watch Nigeria become the biggest Agriculture hub in Africa. If our farmers could be safe in farms, best believe, we can feed west Africa sufficiently.
But the dumb idea of Obi removing import restrictions is the quickest route to killing our economy, ironically, he was talking about the policy of moving from consumption to production. He doesn't come off as someone who knows his economics, obviously a gibberish a container economist would say.
And if you sure sound like one of such pepper sellers who easily gets carried away by bogus & disastrous theories.

You started well and ended woefully, bro economist.

Since they weren't able to solve the insecurity issue, Buhari tenure made it worse, should we then go hungry and watch things become incredibly hard at home? Bread is now N1,050 from N250 during Jonathan's regime. Let's allow the economist pangolo help us while the current gurus take a bow. Buhari made insecurity worse, economy worse.....even the air in naija has become worse in his regime. To make matters worse, he and his people are proposing another medically unfit person to come and continue where he stopped. Too bad for Nigeria....too blawdy bad! Enough of sentiments, we were doing much more better when we couldn't even produce toothpicks. Better then than now that were kept failing at self sufficiency!

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by sparrowg: 6:45pm On Oct 06, 2022
[/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b]
God1000:
I believe in you sir, you will do wonderful things for our country

Peter Obi is a genius and phenomenon, he will make Nigeria an eldorado.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by asanausana91: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2022
Eriokanmi:
You're nothing but an olodo.

I'm an importer. I also export . Each time I'm paid in dollars on goods exported, I'd need to change the dollar to naira to pay salaries , sort overheads, etc. Then, depending on your capacity, you need to source loan to buy some materials needed to produce locally for export. In this case, the naira loan sourced would now be exchanged for dollar to buy those raw materials. I'd noq buy at black market or bdc rate. Invariably, there's no much gain when dollars are paid for goods sold overseas cos we're still going to get more dollars locally to buy materials overseas.

The problem I have with you urchins is, you're too emotional and most of you lack the right knowledge tackle pertinent issues. Liberate yourself please. Stop behaving like an illiterate.
I don't reply fooools
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Pakute: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:

True,

No, they aren't dumb. More like a lot of Nigerians rely on imports for business and manufacturing, and the dollar restrictions means they can't buy dollars for their business. The comment , while flawed, is also calculated to appeal to them
He should have stuck to previous idea of transforming the country to a production economy rather than pandering to the complete opposite theory. The solution should be geared towards increasing the forex availability to critical sectors.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Scamburster(m): 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2022
seunmsg:
Once importation becomes free for all in a country that urgently needs to scale up local manufacturing, how do we then become a productive economy? Where will the forex for the payment of this unrestricted importation comes from? By the time this Obi guy is done with our economy, Naira will be exchanging for N10,000 to $1. Buhari would be a child’s play compared to this dunce they are packaging for us.

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by socialmediaman: 6:49pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:

I threw in tinubu because you obi fans think that anyone disagreeing with you must be a tinubu supporter.

That was a wrong assumption. I didn’t even notice his name until I read your comment again, that’s why I replied the same comment twice
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Ventura1: 6:50pm On Oct 06, 2022
Lol! Obi will print more USD to achieve his objective. Meanwhile, below is what Obi policy will achieve, yet he's talking about a production economy.

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by asanausana91: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2022
socialmediaman:

Atiku generators is another name for Mikano. Don't you live in Nigeria again?

Atiku is a well known corrupt person, and while I still prefer him to Buhari and Tinubu, I will not choose him over Obi. They're miles apart when it comes to governance and corruption. Peter Obi is not perfect but he has the least baggage when it comes to good leadership

Vote wisely! Vote Peter Obi
can you please provide evidence of Atiku importing Mikano? I don't always like to talk with empty skull. Pls get the evidence for me.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by descarado: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2022
sisisioge:

You started well and ended woefully, bro economist.

Since they weren't able to solve the insecurity issue, Buhari tenure made it worse, should we then go hungry and watch things become incredibly hard at home? Bread is now N1,050 from N250 during Jonathan's regime. Let's allow the economist pangolo help us while the current gurus take a bow. Buhari made insecurity worse, economy worse.....even the air in naija has become worse in his regime. To make matters worse, he and his people are proposing another medically unfit person to come and continue where he stopped. Too bad for Nigeria....too blawdy bad! Enough of sentiments, we were doing much more better when we couldn't even produce toothpicks. Better then than now that were kept failing at self sufficiency!

Hunger, joblessness and bleak future encourages insecurity.
If these boys are employed, who has time for insecurity?
The future is uncertain. Politicians use these boys to cause insecurity. Nigerians are not asking for much. They don't wanna lose grip of the masses.

Poverty is a curse and a disease
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by descarado: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2022
asanausana91:
can you please provide evidence of Atiku importing Mikano? I don't always like to talk with empty skull. Pls get the evidence for me.
Tell me who atiku has helped since he left office with obj?
Any ngo?
What has he done for Nigerians except birthing 48 children?
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2022
socialmediaman:

That was a wrong assumption. I didn’t even notice his name until I read your comment again, that’s why I replied the same comment twice

I wish it was a wrong assumption...but my experience of most obi fans...throw in an argument they disagree with, they will call you tinubu and apc supporter.

Even when I once made a comment about removing subsides, someone had the gall to quote me with a quote from tinubu on lower oil prices....

At some point, it has become necessary to put up the disclaimer...for my own peace of mind.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2022
Eriokanmi:
You're nothing but an olodo.

I'm an importer. I also export . Each time I'm paid in dollars on goods exported, I'd need to change the dollar to naira to pay salaries , sort overheads, etc. Then, depending on your capacity, you need to source loan to buy some materials needed to produce locally for export. In this case, the naira loan sourced would now be exchanged for dollar to buy those raw materials. I'd noq buy at black market or bdc rate. Invariably, there's no much gain when dollars are paid for goods sold overseas cos we're still going to get more dollars locally to buy materials overseas.

The problem I have with you urchins is, you're too emotional and most of you lack the right knowledge tackle pertinent issues. Liberate yourself please. Stop behaving like an illiterate.

It is not about being emotional, but analysis based on experience and reality on ground. I will come back late in the night to explain some factors that made Obi analysis a container economic theorem. I am at a program now.

Meanwhile, I pasted part of my earlier submission below.

Peter Obi was the Special Adviser to Goodluck Jonathan on Economy, the economy failed woefully. That time, he was the Anambra State governor and Jonathan honoured him and made him Special Adviser on Economy, his sister, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was the head of the Economic team, they liquidated Nigeria, after, the woman ran away.

IBETO was allowed to import and package cement in PortHarcout while FMN, BUA, Dangote & Lafarge invested on local production. There are so many things I don't want to discuss here. Apart from IBETO, there are many other deals that took place among their kinsmen. That is why they insisted Jonathan should not be probed.

In 1993, during the Presidential Debate on NTA Network service between Abiola and Tofa, Tom Ikim and Nduka Obaigbena were on the side of Tofa. They asked them a question on how to bring exchange rate down and stabilize Naira. Tofa said, he would peg Naira to Dollar rate. Abiola said a Glasgow Trained Accountant can never say he would peg Naira to Dollar. He explained that there are factors that forces exchange rate, you analyse the factors and work upon them to control exchange rate.

Container economist can say anything.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by socialmediaman: 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:

They will get higher with your import tax.

Again , be careful what you wish for.

These are policies used in other countries. Nothing skyrockets prices like banning importation when your local economy can’t compete with volume and quality, especially when your borders are open and filled with corrupt officials. It should be a gradual process.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by baretalk: 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2022
obyno82:

Oga you are the one not smart. What is sliding the value of the naira is the multiple fx rate that has created a big market for speculators. Remove import restrictions and harmonize fx rate to a single rate and remove fx restrictions meaning that other FX BDC operators can come into the market and flood it with FX and also exporters can sell fx to banks and others at favorable rates thereby in the long run crashing the value of the dollar against Naira further strenghtening the new currency. This was what Zambia did and it strengthened the currency in two years.
We have a single forex rate listed by all banks and regulated forex dealers, the multiple rates is caused by non regulated forex dealers. What you are talking about is superficial. The real issue when it comes to earning foreign exchange is exporting more, period. This is the balance of payments theory, this is the bottom line, you keep importing you won't earn foreign exchange, you buy more. Obi uses technicalities and ambiguity to deceive you half learned people. These BDC operators won't flood the market with dollars, if we don't earn dollars as a nation, how will the operators get dollars to sell?

They don't print dolars, the other way is foreign receipts, foreign exchange sent in by Nigerians abroad. You can't blame anyone for the unregulated foreign exchange black market dealers, they have been there, though I agree they should be shut down, everyone knows the black market causes the multiple rates, but eliminating this won't increase the naira, it will only give us a single rate. Am talking of earning foreign exchange, you only do that through exports, or by foreign exchange sent in by Nigerians abroad. Stopping black market operators won't increase the value of the naira. You contradict yourself like Obi saying exporters will flood the market, but at the same time supporting removing importation restrictions. Obi can only deceive half baked people like you. We need importation restrictions and more exports to increase our currency value. No wonder obi got a Pass not too sound.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by socialmediaman: 7:02pm On Oct 06, 2022
Kasssandra:

I wish it was a wrong assumption...but my experience of most obi fans...throw in an argument they disagree with, they will call you tinubu and apc supporter.

Even when I once made a comment about removing subsides, someone had the gall to quote me with a quote from tinubu on lower oil prices....

At some point, it has become necessary to put up the disclaimer...for my own peace of mind.

This is something all supporters of all parties are doing! I see it from Obi supporters, Tinubu supporters etc. These people are the new generation of Nigerians our schools are producing, let’s not bundle them under Obi supporters like they’re not all guilty of cyber bullying and e-fighting. We only see what we want to see
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by grandstar(m): 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2022
Blue3k:

Men need to take responsibility for their actions. Buhari didn't put a gun to his head. Buhari is boss not your dad he's always free to resign or simply say no risk being fired. What kills me is the clowns here wanting to double down on this stupid policy. Economic illiteracy is a scourge.

You're correct. He could easily have told the president off, that Buhari should respect the autonomy of the CBN. That's is enshrined and it's to prevent this sort of disastrous political meddling.

He could easily have gotten the support of the governors support if he sold to them the colossal amounts lost by sticking to an official exchange that is not market reflective. It's just insane. The governors would have applied pressure on the president for the sake of their monthly allocations.

The painful truth is that the president is powerless in the face of a CBN governor who knows his rights and onions. Emefiele could have also gotten the support of the Organized Private Sector behind him as well.

8 wasted year by May 29 next year 2023. Instead of a per capita income of $4,500 from the $3,000 it was in 2013, it is barely $2,000 today. Nigeria's per capita income would have been higher than Egypt, Algeria and probably Morocco. That would have given black Africans bragging rights. Instead, the president is crowing about rice pyramids

Yes economic illiteracy is a scourge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Heffalump(m): 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2022
Throwback:

As economic adviser to Jonathan, he recommended Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor when $1 = N160.
Same Godwin Emefiele has seen to the decline of our Naira against the Dollar.
A sensible man would run away from Peter Obi.
Anambrarians cannot be wrong about this olodo GCE.

The idea proposed by PO is the best for Nigeria right now.

Let me shock, the scarcity of fx is not dependent on poor local manufacturing and export alone. See what happens; many companies exporting goods and services individuals transacting foreign businesses, and banks often fail to repatriate hard currencies from foreign lands to Nigeria because of the reasons pointed out by this chap. I know this truth for long.

When you bring home the dollars, it's at official rate which is lower than black market rate. This amounts to huge monumental loss. Therefore, these business people simply diversify and hold the currencies offshore! No inflow and we all suffer for it. That's the pain.

Obi is God's sent. I'm not igbo, but I strongly believe as a businessman cum politician, Nigeria will be better. Don't let the hatred for igbo distort your rational reasoning.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by Biafraaa: 7:06pm On Oct 06, 2022
Racoon:
Liberate the gateways. Not the senseless, impactless and useless economic blockades the APC govt placed on the lucrative southern borders with attendant huge economic loss sometime back while the northern fringes were just leeways for terrorists to freely stroll in and do more damages.

Nigeria case is an import and a oil-mono-economy dependent nation because local production are not sufficient enough to meet local consumption demand.

And what did the senseless blockade Buhari government imposed on the borders yielded? Did local production increased or saved Nigeria from the present food inflation and insecurity nationwide especially with the insecurity menace on farmers?

Liberate the economic and provide security first, to encourage local and foreign investors that will boost the process and enhance food production to help us shift from local consumption to export.
Do you think the fool has the brain to comprehend what you just breakdown for him. Stop wasting time educating the brain dead in this forum.
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by socialmediaman: 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2022
asanausana91:

Here they go

Cc: kassandra shebi this one is also a Peter Obi supporter?
Re: Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions by udeh3(m): 7:09pm On Oct 06, 2022
Pakute:

He bought innoson products as a Governor with state's funds, not his personal money. Obi is one of the biggest importers of consumption goods in the country spanning 30years. Obi is a complete dunce.

So, as a governor, what funds was he suppose to use for the state? Or are we talking about Obi outside politics?

He's a prosperous business man. Unlike BAT who doesn't have a single business or firm until he joined politics and boooommmm, he's now known as a billionaire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Wike Mocks Ayu Over Removal As PDP Chair, Says ‘I Told Him He’ll Go’ / Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe Son's (moyo Ogunlewe) Wedding / Ben Bruce Commends Aisha Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.